New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Hi @Smurf, thanks for the work you're doing. For novices to computer gaming like myself it is very much needed and I appreciate the time it must take.

Would this laptop be okay? It seems to me to be too good to be true for the price that it is, although with my novice eyes I couldn't see anything wrong?

https://www.ebuyer.com/808485-lenovo-v110-laptop-80td000duk

Again, thanks for your help.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, wisconsin said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX503VD-DM080T-15-6-inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0765CBZYN/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=rllmukka-21&linkId=98f86173f1dc7574cff72abe68728501

This laptop top is currently £599.

it doesn’t have an SSD though so probably better options out there if you’re commuting while playing and just want a quick blast.

So glad I waited before ordering the one I posted, £50 more for that powerhouse.  I’ll add an SSD at a later date.

Nice find

57 minutes ago, Balham Saint said:

Through a combination of a 10% flash sale, and work discount I can get the below for £523. Would appreciate any advice, this thread has already saved me from making a huge mistake and taught me what ram is already aha

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6734356

Processor gets a thumbsdown from me

37 minutes ago, DerbySam said:

@Smurf what is not great about it? Is there anything that can be improved for not much more expensive?

Always looking at the processor - first thing to always look at. 

Regards the geforce gtx cards, is it literally as simple as they get better as the numbers get higher?

E.g. 1050ti better than 1050, 1050 better than 960 etc etc.

I am currently looking around trying to get the best deal, and see the 1050 or 1050ti in a lot of laptops.  Is it best to get the 4gb version of each? Is it a lot lot better?

Ideally looking to get i7 (not a U), SSD and 4gb card.  Reckon it's acheivable around the 800 price? 

Cheers

3 hours ago, Locko27 said:

Does anyone know the difference between these two laptops? (Other than the dramatic price difference)

https://www.ebuyer.com/805723-hp-250-g6-i7-laptop-2sy44es-2sy44es-abu

https://www.ebuyer.com/793847-hp-250-g6-i7-laptop-1wy37ea-1wy37ea-abu

thanks

Only difference is the price - good for FM - I wouldn't say so .

3 hours ago, DerbySam said:

No I wouldn't recommend a processor with a U at the end. 

3 hours ago, Balham Saint said:

Cheers @Smurf , is that because it’s a P?

is is this any good? If not I may just get the amazon link above 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7426010

That's the exact same processor. And I wouldn't recommend it for FM.

1 hour ago, Fusss said:

Regards the geforce gtx cards, is it literally as simple as they get better as the numbers get higher?

E.g. 1050ti better than 1050, 1050 better than 960 etc etc.

I am currently looking around trying to get the best deal, and see the 1050 or 1050ti in a lot of laptops.  Is it best to get the 4gb version of each? Is it a lot lot better?

Ideally looking to get i7 (not a U), SSD and 4gb card.  Reckon it's acheivable around the 800 price? 

Cheers

Basically

But not quite

https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

and 

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison

@Smurf

Model: Dell Optiplex 990 SFF
Processor: 2nd generation Intel CORE i5 - 2400 QUAD @ 4x 3,10Ghz
RAM: 16Gb
Harddisk: 250Gb HDD
Drive: DVD+/-RW brander
Graphics: 1GB Nvidea GTX650 Superclocked
Video ingang: VGA, DisplayPort++ (HDMI)
Internet ingang: Gigabit / 1000Mb

Its in a sale here in Holland and it comes with a samsung 24 inch. keyboard mouse and windows 10. (audio, pci, com etc included)

Think its a good one? It doesnt cost me much its 575 euro...bargain. Its important for me if I can play the 3D graphics ingame on a good level.

@Smurf

Also this in sale:), but it doesnt come with monitor or keyboard/mouse and cost 549 euro...think its a real bargain:)

• AMD Athlon X4 845 3,5GHz / max. 3,8GHz (Quad Core) Processor  
  • ASRock FM2A68M Moederbord
  • 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Geheugen
  • 1000GB S-ATAIII 7200rpm Harddisk
  • DVD±ReWriter Dual Layer
  • Gigabit Netwerk en 5.1 HD Geluid onboard
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Videokaart
  • 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI
  • 2x USB2.0 voor, 4x USB2.0 + 2x USB3.0 achter
  • M-ATX Minitower Behuizing (Zwart, met blauwe LED fan)
  • 500watt ATX Voeding
  • Compleet met Windows 10 geinstalleerd (+ digitale licentie)

2 jaar Carry-in Hardware Garantie

31 minutes ago, Eljayem said:

Wich one? I posted 2...lol

Either is fine for the direction of laptop/computer you want - they're not great - but would do

28 minutes ago, Fusss said:

Thanks smurf

Is a 2gb graphics card sufficient for the next few years in your opinion or is it worth shelling out to go 4gb?

For FM it makes no difference - 2gb of GPU-RAM is more than enough for most games.

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Either is fine for the direction of laptop/computer you want - they're not great - but would do

For FM it makes no difference - 2gb of GPU-RAM is more than enough for most games.

4gb nvidia graphics card not great???? What do I need to play fm? 8gb? Im lost now...lol

23 minutes ago, Eljayem said:

4gb nvidia graphics card not great???? What do I need to play fm? 8gb? Im lost now...lol

You're confusing things

You need a good processor over everything else.

Then RAM is next which 8gb should be minimum.

Next is the graphics card (GPU's) -  (which also have RAM) - and if you don't play 3d games then you don't really need it.
However, graphic cards (GPUs) come in 512mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb models - which are used as selling points by resellers - in truth it really makes no difference for games as most games use less than 2gb GPU RAM (also know as video RAM or vRam) - 4GB is never really needed - and certainly not for FM.

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

You're confusing things

You need a good processor over everything else.

Then RAM is next which 8gb should be minimum.

Next is the graphics card (GPU's) -  (which also have RAM) - and if you don't play 3d games then you don't really need it.
However, graphic cards (GPUs) come in 512mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb models - which are used as selling points by resellers - in truth it really makes no difference for games as most games use less than 2gb GPU RAM (also know as video RAM or vRam) - 4GB is never really needed - and certainly not for FM.

Aaaaw now I understand, good that you know a lott about these things, so if I want to buy a good PC wich can handle the FM18 3D I need:

8GB at minimum

HD 7200rpm at minumum

i5 processor at minimum

Graphic cards 1gb shoudl be ok?

Great job you're doing here Smurf! 

This is my first post, but been stalking this thread for a while and have found it incredibly helpful.

After a few years out from FM I'm thinking of taking the plunge again. From what I've read here, this laptop seems like it will run FM pretty well:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ZX553VD-DM641T/specifications/

But is there anything that would put you off it?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Eljayem said:

Aaaaw now I understand, good that you know a lott about these things, so if I want to buy a good PC wich can handle the FM18 3D I need:

8GB at minimum

HD 7200rpm at minumum

i5 processor at minimum

Graphic cards 1gb shoudl be ok?

Now you have it - 

In regards to the processor - it's i5 or i7 - and avoid processors with the letter "U" at the end. 

For FM you need a good processor - and U processors are powersaving, thus they run at lower speeds, and that wouldn't be good for FM.

However, as a processor - they're decent enough for everyday use - just not for FM though.

11 hours ago, IngloriousRashford said:

Great job you're doing here Smurf! 

This is my first post, but been stalking this thread for a while and have found it incredibly helpful.

After a few years out from FM I'm thinking of taking the plunge again. From what I've read here, this laptop seems like it will run FM pretty well:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ZX553VD-DM641T/specifications/

But is there anything that would put you off it?

Thanks!

Yep that's all good.

Battery life might suck if you are not plugged in - but being plugged it will be fine. 

Not sure exactly how many hours off mains you'd get - FM would draw more power. 

Worth investigating if you are going to be off mains.

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Now you have it - 

In regards to the processor - it's i5 or i7 - and avoid processors with the letter "U" at the end. 

For FM you need a good processor - and U processors are powersaving, thus they run at lower speeds, and that wouldn't be good for FM.

However, as a processor - they're decent enough for everyday use - just not for FM though.

Yep that's all good.

Battery life might suck if you are not plugged in - but being plugged it will be fine. 

As above smurf you have been a great guidance.. 3laptops later and all returned I decided to Google laptops for fm18 and come across this thread.. Great work.. I come across this laptop.. Any advice Screenshot_20171122-164440.thumb.png.e5f6e3eec8b1651137e8e4db887c5f24.png

I select lots of leagues with all the divisions in England top 2 in Germany, France, Spain and Italy. I like my computer performance atleast 2/3 stars with loads of nations

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

Now you have it - 

Yep that's all good.

That shouldn't be a problem - I won't be using it whilst travelling too much

Thanks for confirming!

1 hour ago, Mosalah said:

As above smurf you have been a great guidance.. 3laptops later and all returned I decided to Google laptops for fm18 and come across this thread.. Great work.. I come across this laptop.. Any advice Screenshot_20171122-164440.thumb.png.e5f6e3eec8b1651137e8e4db887c5f24.png

I select lots of leagues with all the divisions in England top 2 in Germany, France, Spain and Italy. I like my computer performance atleast 2/3 stars with loads of nations

It should be good. 

I wouldn't pay attention to the games in-star rating of your computer performance - it's long been inaccurate and unreliable. 

As to the amount of leagues - all computers can load all leauges, it's just the speed with which it progresses. So if you load a lot of leauges and it's not running well, you can always try loading less leagues, or medium database or both. 

But fast to you could be slow to someone else and vice versa.

21 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It should be good. 

I wouldn't pay attention to the games in-star rating of your computer performance - it's long been inaccurate and unreliable. 

As to the amount of leagues - all computers can load all leauges, it's just the speed with which it progresses. So if you load a lot of leauges and it's not running well, you can always try loading less leagues, or medium database or both. 

But fast to you could be slow to someone else and vice versa.

The previous laptops I bought&returned were good with ram and hard drive but no graphics card.. I loaded up a start new game and it went immediately from 5*  to half a star with only English league 1 and above with low database and low graphics in settings.. Previous fm's iv played including fm17 were always selected with large amount of leagues with new laptops and higher start ratings dfo seems to run smoother which preferably is what I enjoy most

10 hours ago, Mosalah said:

Where's wally?? I was getting that.. Anti virus was receiving my fm update as a threat.. Thank you 

Well usually when unexpected things happen there's underlying reasons. 

I went to the doctor before with an ear ache and ear drops weren't doing anything - the doctor told me I had a sinus infection and prescribed a nasal spray - cleared up that ear ache no end.

I understand I shouldn't buy a laptop with an "U processor", but how about AMD processors? How do you tell which AMD processor that would be equal to an Intel HQ-processor? For example, is this processor any good? 

"AMD A12-9700P Quad-Core"

8 hours ago, Olow said:

I understand I shouldn't buy a laptop with an "U processor", but how about AMD processors? How do you tell which AMD processor that would be equal to an Intel HQ-processor? For example, is this processor any good? 

"AMD A12-9700P Quad-Core"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Bristol-Ridge-A12-9700P-Notebook-Processor.182724.0.html

The performance of the A12-9700P is between the two 15-Watt processors A10-9600P and FX-9800P, and therefore roughly on par with a 15-Watt Core i3 from the Skylake or Kaby Lake series, respectively. Compared to the Intel model, the AMD chip has a small advantage in multi-thread scenarios, but is beaten when you only stress one or two cores. Due to the TDP limitation, the performance of the A12-9700P will drop significantly under sustained workloads.

40 minutes ago, Rickyg93 said:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-stream-14-ax054sa-14-laptop-white-10156925-pdt.html would this laptop have the right system to play football manager? Any advice on a laptop to purchase not to expensive @Felix Wilkie

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Celeron-N3060-Notebook-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169390.0.html

Performance

Depending on the cooling of the SoC, the Boost clock rate of 2.48 can be held for longer periods and therefore leading to a faster performance as the older Celeron N3050 that can only reach 2.16 GHz. Using Windows, the CPU is adequate for simple everyday tasks such as light Internet browsing or office applications, but not for complex software or modern games.

Hey bros,

i have a question. When I played the beta, my 3d graphics capability was at 5 stars however in the final game it shows 3 stars. Is this a glitch or something? Because when i set the recommended settings its on high. 

Laptop:

i7 6700hq

960m

16gb of ram

256gb ssd

tbe matches play fluid though

Hi @Smurf been reading your posts over the last few weeks and has been very helpful! I know you have recommended to stay away from ‘u’ processers but what do you think to the new 8th gen ones? They seem to have some good reviews but will the be any good for FM?

got my eyes on this one http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptop-and-2-in-1-pcs/inspiron-15-7000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7570-laptop?view=configurations

any good?

8 hours ago, Curn11n said:

Hi @Smurf been reading your posts over the last few weeks and has been very helpful! I know you have recommended to stay away from ‘u’ processers but what do you think to the new 8th gen ones? They seem to have some good reviews but will the be any good for FM?

got my eyes on this one http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptop-and-2-in-1-pcs/inspiron-15-7000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7570-laptop?view=configurations

any good?

Well for me to know how they perform I'd have to buy all of them and test them. Which I'm not going to do. 

It's still a fact that the base speed is lower than the minimum speed for FM. FM requires 2.2ghz minimum.

8 hours ago, Workington-afc said:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7498574

can anyone tell me if this will run fm ok? Just a bit worried about the graphics card. Thanks

No

On 21/11/2017 at 08:51, wisconsin said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX503VD-DM080T-15-6-inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0765CBZYN/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=rllmukka-21&linkId=98f86173f1dc7574cff72abe68728501

This laptop top is currently £599.

it doesn’t have an SSD though so probably better options out there if you’re commuting while playing and just want a quick blast.

I ordered this yesterday for this price, then today the price shot up by £200, I like to think I got a decent deal at just the right time.

Hoping it plays FM at a decent enough pace.

3 hours ago, Balham Saint said:

Could someone help me please :) 

hoping to finally buy one today! How’s the processor looking on this one? 

https://m.johnlewis.com/hp-15-bw089na-laptop-amd-a12-8gb-ram-256gb-amd-radeon-530-2gb-graphics-15-6-inch-full-hd-natural-silver/p3357997

See above - linked to this processor already ...

1 hour ago, CooperEd_ said:

I ordered this yesterday for this price, then today the price shot up by £200, I like to think I got a decent deal at just the right time.

Hoping it plays FM at a decent enough pace.

Looks good

Just now, CooperEd_ said:

Does adding logos and face packs slow down performance? 

Not in general. When you first load them it will take some time, but after it, FM is using the cache, so it does not have to be loaded again and again.

Archived