WWSM (STEAM) release date moved to Nov 17th?

Quite honestly release consistency is a load of crap. Its not like you can run to the Amazon building down the block and grab a copy so why does it matter that it gets released on a Tuesday or a Saturday for them? Its only mail-order or digital download here in the US so what is the issue? Sega really needs to set some companies straight on what SI's wishes are, or not come out and say that there is a same-day release day across the globe.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is Steam the only way to get the game in Canada or will i be able to find it in stores?

Well, I did find a copy of WWSM at Markville Mall a year ago...and also at Walmart I think (don't remember which location)

But your only hope to either

• order WWSM through Steam
  • order FM online from a British website and be prepared to pay Canadian Custom fees...

This is so stupid. You guys want to promote the WWSM version in the US. And which better way to do it? Release the game later than FM, not even release the demo, release the patches later every single time for the US version...no wonder why people just switch to FM. I don't get you guys. And hey, it's not even a complaint per se, I buy the game anyways, but I am just curious to see what you guys talk about in any of these meetings to get the dates for WWSM together, or to announce about the demo in the US and never release.

It's like this is some local company, and not SI or SEGA. Just plain childish.

Oh well.

Posting a release date through STEAM that is the same as FM only to change it with a week to go isn't going to convince them to change their minds. It is more likely to change those, like me, that have supported WWSM into FM importers.

Yeah, this is really annoying. It was exciting when I found out that it would be released online through Steam, thinking that finally I wouldn't have to wait longer than others (I'm American), but no, that is not to be the case.

Its been busy...;) Apologies - for clarity, I need to get feedback from both America and Australia - difficult to pull together in a single UK working day. Should be clarified tomorrow.

Yes, thank you Matt for taking the time to look into this.

Its been busy...;) Apologies - for clarity, I need to get feedback from both America and Australia - difficult to pull together in a single UK working day. Should be clarified tomorrow.

Thanks Matt. Looking forward to it. Hope America, Canada (can't forget us Canadians :p), and the Aussies get some good news tomorrow. :)

Saw this little snippet on seganerds.com:

"Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 is now available for pre-purchase as a PC digital download from STEAM, and will be available for players to play at 09:00 GMT on the November 18th 2008. For details on availability and pricing, please visit www.sega.com/wwsm2009"

SO, it looks like no 17th release, but on the bright side, we'll get it on the 18th!! Even better! Screw WWSM, I'd rather have FM.

Ok, here's an interesting thing on the STEAM site. Check out the screen shot it shows the 17th as the release. But check out the box on the right where it still says the 14th. Come on Matt we're counting on you to do the right thing.

wwsmrelease2ch9.jpg

w800.png

This screen shot was taken Friday Nov 7th, the day the switch was made. And yes it still reads that way today, Monday Nov. 10th 10:30pm

central time USA.

I bet they made STEAM wait until the 17th, because Amazon, like most stores, will only release US games on TUEsdays.

Did SI ever claim they would have one World-Wide release date?

In the sticky that Miles announced Steam he had a link to the SI news item. In the news item there is a buy Football Manger now link. You click that and go to a FM 2009 page with a link to preorder from Steam. Click that link and if you are from the US it took you to the WWSM preorder page at Steam. On that page it said Nov. 14th was the release date.

So we followed the links SI provided, through two official SI sites, and ended up on a page that told us the release date for WWSM was Nov 14th. Only to have it changed on us to Nov 17th one week before the announced Nov 14 date.

With regard to Amazon.US I would think they already have their supply of disks. I base that on the fact that European shops were selling the game on Nov 7th. Not sure if the disks are done in the US of the UK but certainly Fed Express would get them to Amazon in plenty of time. We're not talking about then having to distribute it to many brick and mortar stores, Amazon.US is strictly online order.

So why not move Amazons release up instead of Steams back? Especially when we were linked to Steam from SI official sites to find a Nov. 14 release date?

Actually, interesting topic. Haven't thought much about getting it on the same day as the Brits. Ordered on Amazon the day it was listed for preordering. But you guys are right. If you truly enjoy the whole football experience you also want your manual in UK English rather than the luke warm US English manual. And then, you have to wait longer for the release. Has anyone questioned the logic behind UK releasing it before a weekend and US after at SI/Sega? Why don't you wait for the release in UK after the weekend to be on the same day as US? Do you sell more or less on that specific 14th of November? Or, why nort moving the US release to the 14th?

Maybe you should cancel the whole release itself and delay it to April '09. Work out the bugs and release it on the same day as CM '09.

As a person still on the fence about buying WWSM vs. FM, the date doesn't bother that me much...compared to the fact that I still haven't found a definitive answer as to when WWSM can expect updates. Will there be a delay between FM and WWSM patches? Will many of the skins/logos/etc. not work on WWSM? If so, then I really have no incentive to purchase WWSM...

Heck, I don't even understand why SI/Sega are renaming it for the NA market- anyone that purchases the game already knows what true football is!

I believe the skins / languages packs / and everything will be perfectly compatible...it's just about the name since the code is the same...

PS. and we're still waiting for that release date announcement in vain...

There will be a UK language pack so you dont have to hear American language. I am very annoyed at the release date being once again pushed back in the American market. I was so excited about being able to get the game the day it was released only to find out that once again that wasnt to be. I will still get WWSM but next year may be different. I am trying to help out the American market by purchasing WWSM but I am getting tired of having to wait to play it.

The game will be cracked by the time its released in the US now.

I had planned to spend the weekend playing, this is just unacceptable. I'd understand a delay on worldwide releases, but to just single out select countries for no reason other than to correlate physical with download is ridiculous.

Really alienating your customers here. Next year I'll be getting Football Manager from the UK if this continues.

Yep, this is really disappointing. I had pre-ordered from Steam expecting to get it on the 14th, and Steam doesn't really support cancelling a pre-ordered game. So it's going to be the last time i purchase anything from them.

I think i'll go look up the game on the torrent sites come thursday (if the release is indeed changed to 17th on steam), since i payed to have the game on friday so i could play over the weekend.

NO ONE who would buy the game for download on release day from steam would care in the least about American-English. Most of this crowd would likely prefer to see football and pitch rather than soccer and field anyway. These are hardcore fans not the casual crew who would need "soccer" on the box to sell them. Give us the 14th download of Football Manager like the rest of the world and your problem is solved. Switch to WWSM on the 17th when few will care.

NO ONE who would buy the game for download on release day from steam would care in the least about American-English. Most of this crowd would likely prefer to see football and pitch rather than soccer and field anyway. These are hardcore fans not the casual crew who would need "soccer" on the box to sell them. Give us the 14th download of Football Manager like the rest of the world and your problem is solved. Switch to WWSM on the 17th when few will care.

/petition signed

If there are WWSM code delays, PLEASE let us download FM09 on the 14th here in the US like everyone else

Amazon releases there's on the 18th and I find that appalling. Sure its one day but what the hell. I also got 1 day shipping which means it should be here on the 19th but instead it gives me an estimate of the 20th. The game isn't even here and there are so many problems already. This really is laughable.

My Steam page has changed now, instead of the original Release Date of 14th it now shows 17th, in both areas: the available thing and the release date on the right thing.

So it looks like its the 17th for the US....:(

My Steam page has changed now, instead of the original Release Date of 14th it now shows 17th, in both areas: the available thing and the release date on the right thing.

Wow, just wow. Guess I shouldn't have told them. Really disappointing that Sega couldn't come back to this thread to at least try to explain it from their side.

Guess I'll have to listen to the "I told you so's" again this year from my US friends that import FM.

Oh, well one less American buying\supporting WWSM in the future.

Wow, just wow. Guess I shouldn't have told them. Really disappointing that Sega couldn't come back to this thread to at least try to explain it from their side.

Guess I'll have to listen to the "I told you so's" again this year from my US friends that import FM.

Oh, well one less American buying\supporting WWSM in the future.

Add me to that list. I am tired of waiting for the game and it being delayed here in the States for no apparent reason. This is more then irritating after being told we would have it on the 14th then have it changed less then a week before release.

In the sticky that Miles announced Steam he had a link to the SI news item. In the news item there is a buy Football Manger now link. You click that and go to a FM 2009 page with a link to preorder from Steam. Click that link and if you are from the US it took you to the WWSM preorder page at Steam. On that page it said Nov. 14th was the release date.

So we followed the links SI provided, through two official SI sites, and ended up on a page that told us the release date for WWSM was Nov 14th. Only to have it changed on us to Nov 17th one week before the announced Nov 14 date.

With regard to Amazon.US I would think they already have their supply of disks. I base that on the fact that European shops were selling the game on Nov 7th. Not sure if the disks are done in the US of the UK but certainly Fed Express would get them to Amazon in plenty of time. We're not talking about then having to distribute it to many brick and mortar stores, Amazon.US is strictly online order.

So why not move Amazons release up instead of Steams back? Especially when we were linked to Steam from SI official sites to find a Nov. 14 release date?

That isn't true. They said that they don't get the game until the 18th which is astonishing to me. Also I have 1 day shipping and the game is said to come out and be released by them on the 18th which means my 1 day shipping should be here on the 19th but the estimate says the 20th. I wish they had there disks but they don't.

Everyone involved from SI, Steam, Amazon, and the shipping companies and manufactures should be ashamed and embarrassed. This is truly disgraceful for the US customer to be treated like this. I paid extra for my game to be here in 1 day and I get a notice saying the game isn't going to be in our possesion until the 18th(Which is beyond me), and if you get 1 day shipping you will not get your product until 2 days from that date. This is terrible, really terrible.

That isn't true. They said that they don't get the game until the 18th which is astonishing to me. Also I have 1 day shipping and the game is said to come out and be released by them on the 18th which means my 1 day shipping should be here on the 19th but the estimate says the 20th. I wish they had there disks but they don't.

Everyone involved from SI, Steam, Amazon, and the shipping companies and manufactures should be ashamed and embarrassed. This is truly disgraceful for the US customer to be treated like this. I paid extra for my game to be here in 1 day and I get a notice saying the game isn't going to be in our possesion until the 18th(Which is beyond me), and if you get 1 day shipping you will not get your product until 2 days from that date. This is terrible, really terrible.

Well I have to say I am surprised they still don't have the disks, another slap in the face. Retailers in Europe were selling the game on the 7th so got the game either late Thursday or early Friday and 4 to 5 days later Amazon don't have their stock? Haven't Sega ever heard of Federal Express? This really is a shambles, isn't it.

Steam pre-order of WWSM officially canceled here. FM09 will make its way stateside to me ASAP thanks to willing family back home.

SI / SEGA you really should give some (any!) kind of indication to you loyal, but very frustrated, overseas fans on what is going on here.

WWSM 'development' really should just be canned. Deliver FM to everyone. Do you really think such an in depth analytical game such as FM will really compete in the US just by calling it 'soccer'.

I beg you to finally just release FM over here along with most everywhere else and give us equal footing in the community

I just saw this as well on Steam. I have cancelled my order and contacted my bank as well to make sure I do not get charged. Screw you SI, Steam, Sega and whoever else in responsible for this BS. I am done as a customer. Your lack of customer service and not giving us a response is completely unacceptable. I refuse to give my money to a company that treats us like this.

and people wonder why i hate WWSM and just wish for FM to be released in the states just like it is in the rest of the world.

GoGamer. They do have FM and it will be available to us in the states I went through them before for a game PES. It was a good experience.

Regarding Amazon:

I purchase items off that website regularly and can say that without a doubt we will be getting the game sooner than what the estimate says. Amazon regularly throws a conservative date out in the event of unforseen events which would delay shipping. Otherwise we should have the game from Amazon within 5 business days after the 18th.

Now that is the bad news. We do have to wait until the 18th for them to even receive the game and ship it out. I still don't understand the reason for the delay compared to the European release. The only reason I order WWSM instead of FM is because for me over here in the U.S. it is cheaper to do it that way otherwise I would buy FM everytime. I also think that WWSM is attempting to appeal to a fanbase which is not and will never be there anyway. Any hardcore football fans here know that the true name of the sport is football and understand how the game works. The only people who protest that it should be called soccer are the same people who would never play or watch it anyway.

From a marketing standpoint this is very much a waste of Sega's, Si's or whoever else's time. Just release the same game over here that you do in Europe. There are no "American" Football manager games with the same title that would cause some sort of conflict. And as far as I know the NFL does not own the rights to the world "Football". Just some opinions to think about.

And we would ALL enjoy a very clear answer regarding the compatiability of patches, graphics, etc.. with WWSM. Everything has been compatible in the past but for some reason I am a little worried this time around so some clarification from somebody at SI or SEGA would be great.

Archived