World Cup stunning moments: Gazza cries as England lose at Italia 90

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/03/world-cup-25-stunning-moments-gazza-cries-1990

“Had Gascoigne been German he would be persona non grata today,” the former Liverpool and Newcastle midfielder Dietmar Hamman wrote in his book The Didi Man. “[After the booking] he went to pieces. The game was still tied, and a job still needed to be done, yet his first thoughts were for himself. When the game went to a penalty shoot-out Gascoigne was earmarked to take [a] penalty for England. He decided that he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to take it. For Gascoigne, in that moment, it was all about him as an individual, and the way he was feeling. It was nothing to do with his duty to the team. If Gascoigne was German his behaviour would have created a national scandal, and the player would be forgotten for ever. If it were possible to erase his name from the team sheet then it would be done.”

Hamman has a point I reckon.

I wasn't alive to watch this game so don't know how he performed, but surely not taking a penalty as you don't feel right for it is pretty selfless? If you think you'll miss, you more than likely will (Anelka against Man United comes to mind) so surely he has a duty to the team to not take it? 

The criticism isn't about the penalty as such. It's more the fact he fell to bits mentally when he got the yellow card. He was more focused on himself potentially missing the final than being able to put his feelings aside for the rest of the game to make sure the team made it. I was too young to watch the game at the time but I presume he didn't make much of a contribution after the yellow card till the final whistle.

It's a bit unfair on Gazza as obviously he has never been the most stable person so it's not his fault that he couldn't cope mentally with the card.

Agree and disagree with Didi.

Agree that Gascoigne did completely forget about the task at hand after the booking, which is unacceptable in a professional team sport. I remember when Roy Keane got booked vs Juventus to rule him out of the CL Final, and then totally ran the game - it was amazing.

Disagree that Gascoigne was wrong to not take a penalty though. If you don't fancy one, don't take one.

Wasn’t it Ballack that turned in a MOM performance in the 2002WC semi after he’d been booked? Got Germany into the final even though he knew he wouldn’t be able to play.

Ballack > Gascoigne

Didn't Lineker signal to Bobby Robson that he thought Gazza should be substituted off? Can't remember how Gazza played the rest of that game but I remember England still had chances to win it.

4 hours ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

Didn't Lineker signal to Bobby Robson that he thought Gazza should be substituted off? Can't remember how Gazza played the rest of that game but I remember England still had chances to win it.

Yeah, he does the famous eyes at Bobby Robson while Gazza is blubbing

Love that this is the top Google image result if you search for "Have a word with him" :thup:

have a word with him.jpg

Archived