Following in the footsteps of Sir Alex Ferguson

Northernpilgrim

The Challenge

The challenge is simple. Win everything that Sir Alex Ferguson managed in his career, starting with the second tier league title (now known as the Scottish Championship), and finishing with a 13th Premier League title in England

Starting point

Given that St Mirren are currently a Championship side, and that was the team he won his first title with, it seems like an appropriate starting point.

5a8b7750d097c_StMirren.thumb.PNG.99c066eb53d6808c3e7bd44a118b1ab0.PNG

Rules of the save

I will try to win each competition that Alex Ferguson managed to win. Here is a list of all the competitions I will have to win

5a8b751154108_Fergusonhonours.thumb.PNG.a5cbd673df44d18385a8b56bdcc208eb.PNG

I will not 'manufacture' any vacancies, and I do not have to move on as soon as the requisite trophies have been won at each of the first two clubs.

I have started with St Mirren, but I do not have to join Aberdeen or Manchester United. I am free to join whichever club I like to achieve the required titles, but they must be won before I can move to a new job.

My Manager

I will be managing this career as myself. I have given myself a Continental A License, and will look to get the Pro License during my time in Scotland

5a8b766a69e83_JamieSheehan.thumb.PNG.39f0be28b18eedc3fd62bd6e24216db9.PNG

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Timetxu said:

Good luck! It still hurts seeing how your last challenge ended, so I wish you all the best!

Thanks Timetxu. I was really disappointed with the ending to the last challenge too, which is why I've not put any time limits or rules relating to sackings. Hopefully this save will go a long time and have plenty to keep people interested. How long it takes will depend on how long it takes to win the trophies and when a suitable job becomes available.

August started well, but a familiar tale from previous saves is starting to emerge already, where an unexpected poor result precedes a tough game, and we are suddenly on a poor run out of nowhere

5a8ca2863a74a_Aug2017.thumb.PNG.e0438f0648ab3b45a4a376fbd9a9ad91.PNG

and the league table is looking tight at this early stage. Fix things and we can still finish at least in the playoffs. Fail to do so and my debut season in Scotland could be a struggle

5a8ca2e8e2e72_Aug2017table.thumb.PNG.92725559360ab999fafb689871bdd9f4.PNG

2 hours ago, Northernpilgrim said:

I've had, and turned down, offers for him already. I will keep him as long as I can!

What type of coin you been offered for him mate?

Is it worth looking to cash in and grab 2 or 3 decent squad players?

4 hours ago, nastymiller said:

What type of coin you been offered for him mate?

Is it worth looking to cash in and grab 2 or 3 decent squad players?

Turned down £200k twice I think. He's valued at £185k so not enough to tempt me into selling. If we don't go up, I will probably look to move him on and bring in new blood.

52 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

Damn, that Dundee Utd run...

My worst nightmare is that we finish second and go up via the playoffs. I have to win the Championship to move to the next club, so I'd be faced with a choice of walking away and getting another Championship job, or having to get relegated and hope I don't get sacked. We need to buck up quickly if I'm going to succeed here!

9 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

You lost those playoffs on purpose.

Absolutely not. Had I won them I had the option to move on and try to win the Championship with another team, so there was no need to deliberately lose the playoffs. This season is going well, but it's hardly a given that we'll win the title at this stage. The next update will be done later this morning. 

And there has been change in the boardroom

5a96bbbd2fc44_TakeoverStMirren.thumb.PNG.c7a5108376619f403a05700d1c4d45d6.PNG

which has enabled me to start my Pro Licence, as the previous board said the club couldn't afford it. This will hopefully allow me to get a job with an SPL club in the summer, though as previously stated, no moves will be artificially created, and I don't have to move this summer if no suitable job arises.

5a96bc0b0a506_ProLicence.thumb.PNG.ed4eff202a27f3e379a3b80b5d0e056c.PNG

Job done. We clinched the title with an away win in May's first game

5a97de6a50be8_Champions2019.thumb.PNG.6a0caaad20a304abed34eac86350c3fe.PNG

and went on to beat our nearest rivals Inverness in the last game of the season too

5a97de9b4df13_May2019.thumb.PNG.32f2ba790676cda941e6a829bae37210.PNG

to win the league by 7 points, gain promotion to the Premier League, and open up the next phase of the challenge

5a97ded0adf48_May2019table.thumb.PNG.875e3f82d9a70ed285e0ba4d4b13cabd.PNG

Archived