FM09's The Championship Thread: Officially the best second league!

LincolnCanary

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you looked into getting loans for the back line? My first season with Derby I loved me some loans. Get in the loan market and that will help alot. I had a stiker issue and took Chopra on loan and he saved my butt big tim.

I don't think there is a Leyton Orient thread, you should make one.

I have looked and taken in Rocha and Some other Tottenham reserve CB.

Do you have any suggestions perhaps?

Awesome thread, I haven't played in the championship since my last game of FM07 when I started at Crystal Palace and made them into a mid-table EPL team before bolting to the Theater of Dreams. I was only in the Champions League for one year, but I remember it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for bringing the interest back. :)

Do you fancy the real job as that would do me :-)

Aphiah has agreed terms, going to be amazing if he gets a work permit, signed Chris Porter 700k off Motherwell 17 finishing, looks good scored 2 on his debut with real class, Cowie is also very good also scored 2 could have scored more. Sold Roger Johnson to Wolves 3m I couldn't reject looking to get Mark Yeates off Colchester 1.5m finnishing 16 free kicks 17 and pretty average stats. Need a centre back got pierre fanfan and have Smertin a Tininho on trial as well as Randall a Lansbury on loan. Looking up Elliot Ward and Chris Hogg. Looking to sell Ledley for around 5 then trying to get Rat as Lb i need as well, possibly Adam Drury?

Aphiah has agreed terms, going to be amazing if he gets a work permit, signed Chris Porter 700k off Motherwell 17 finishing, looks good scored 2 on his debut with real class, Cowie is also very good also scored 2 could have scored more. Sold Roger Johnson to Wolves 3m I couldn't reject looking to get Mark Yeates off Colchester 1.5m finnishing 16 free kicks 17 and pretty average stats. Need a centre back got pierre fanfan and have Smertin a Tininho on trial as well as Randall a Lansbury on loan. Looking up Elliot Ward and Chris Hogg. Looking to sell Ledley for around 5 then trying to get Rat as Lb i need as well, possibly Adam Drury?

Appiah never gets a work permit for me for some reason :(! Although he has played over 50 times for Ghana and has played at clubs with big reputations (Fenerbache etc).

I managed to take Derby up in the end without too much stress with 3 signings: Carl Valeri, Fabian Delph and Matthew Spiranovich. Since then I've taken in 5 seasons Derby to the very heights of the World and ultimately all 3 left the club. Valeri was the first, after not quite having the ability in the premiership, scored a lot of memorable goals in the promotion season though. Delph was always shaky, and the team got better at around the same rate he was improving, ultimately when he began to peak, he ended up not being able to force his way into a midfield with the likes of Alvarez, Van der Vaart and Veloso and was sold. Spiranovich was the pick of the bunch, held his own the whole way through and if I hadn't made Nyatanga my captain, probably would have been on the pitch when we won the Champions League. However, again with the quality that I could attract in that position he lost his.

Finished top with Crystal Palace by two points.

Transfer activity

All did pretty well. Soumare and Nengomasha in particular were legends. Mascio (who apparently doesn't actually exist?) is developing incredibly well under my training regime and did great in the second half of the season. Oh, and yes the picture of him obviously can't be real if he doesn't exist, but I added one since I like having images of my players, it's not an image of another footballer.

I'd regard Mascio as a definite purchase for any Championship team if you can fight off the others that go for him.

Didn't get a work permit for Apphiah big let down here's my transfers:

In

Danielle Vantaggiato - 1.2m

Mark Yeates - 1.5m

Chris Porter - 725k

Don Cowie - 150k that's right 150k

Seyfo Soley - Free

John Pierre Fanfan - free

Henri Lansbury - loan

Mark Randall - loan

Out

Roger Johnson - 3m - Wolves

Paul Parry - 1.2m

Peter Enckleman - 18k loan fee to sign for 625K!!!

Trying to sell Whittingham for 1.5m was going to Stoke but they changed their minds so going to sell to yes I know Swansea, for 1.2m but they can take him I have Ross McCormack, Cowie, Yeates, Ledley and Yeates can cover plus Kennedy is average. I have 325k would have thought approx 1.1m if it goes through to buy a left back(Drury(560k??) and centre back.

Finished top with Crystal Palace by two points.

Transfer activity

All did pretty well. Soumare and Nengomasha in particular were legends. Mascio (who apparently doesn't actually exist?) is developing incredibly well under my training regime and did great in the second half of the season. Oh, and yes the picture of him obviously can't be real if he doesn't exist, but I added one since I like having images of my players, it's not an image of another footballer.

I'd regard Mascio as a definite purchase for any Championship team if you can fight off the others that go for him.

Some good signings mate. But cevasco he is utter useless, even in league 1.

gonna start a game with sheffield united. just wondering if all you guys are using the latest patch? I can't seem to find some of the player's that you're talking about using the large db.. but can't get the panels.xml file to work properly with the update (just doesn't add anything to the database size list)

anyone fancy starting a sheffield united thread aswell?? :D

Just got promoted with Crystal Palace 1st Season. Came 2nd to Reading by 2 points. Been looking for players for the Prem. saw Daniel Sturridge on a FREEEE! I was amazed. I have also got Daniel Aquino on my list but he's valued at 2.4M at the moment and will be worth more if i try and buy him.

Anyways just wondering is Daniel Sturridge any good, my scouting report for him ain't great but I might ignore dat.

Pls Reply. Thanks

I've just embarked on my first FM2009 career and i'm in the championship (first season) with a transfer budget of £3mil i've made a promising start but feel I need a Goalscorer and a Central Defender, on loan or within my budget! Anybody got any pearls of Wisdom?

I've just embarked on my first FM2009 career and i'm in the championship (first season) with a transfer budget of £3mil i've made a promising start but feel I need a Goalscorer and a Central Defender, on loan or within my budget! Anybody got any pearls of Wisdom?

Think its Someone Tordayo who did well for me on the cheap, he's Bolivion.

As for that Champ Team posted earlier: I'd disagree with having Neil Mellor there and Dexter Blacktock on bench, I've found they are poor on my save. Instead Ebanks-Blake bangs 'em in for me and John Joe O'Toole has been brill.

I hardly ever post on here, but this thread is awesome so I thought I'd drop in.. :p

Started as Wolves, my first file on 09... :) Signed:

Insua- loan

Borysiuk- free, something like 1.9m compensation

Makukula- 120k

Leonardo- 1.2m

Delph- 825k

Tordoya- 85k

Andronic- 210k

Gibson- loan

Makaridze- 80k

Which I think gives me a pretty strong squad, particularly in midfield and upfront.

I'm sniffing around the top 3 atm, shipping far too many goals though. Makukula in particular is scoring for fun though, so there's been alot of 4-3's, infact I started the season with a 6-3 win over Barnsley..

Any advice? :)

try this thread it has a few suggestions here.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=84664

its called the championship and league 1 defenders thread i think

My 3rd season as Southampton manager. Finished on the 19th and 12th from previous season reason mainly because the idiotic brains of my chairman (selling all my best players).

Now my lineup

GK Enckelman (panic buy, but not too bad)

RB Parnarby

LB Mills

CB Bruce (superb!!!)

CB Lancashire

CM Gillet

CM Noble

RW Rufete

LW McIndoe (you guys should go get him!!!)

AM Di Vaio

CF Garner (impressive in my 2nd season, but fade away on the current)

I could have achieved promotion if not for the bloody idiot chairman who sold Lallana, Dyer, James, Surman, Schneirderlin and Rasiak behind my back.

Mohd couple of questions:

1. is the Noble Mark(west ham)?

2. What exactly is the message of your post what did you want in reply?

1) Er..its David Noble from Bristol City

2) What? Nothing important just want to share my experience in managing a championship club. But it would be good if you could add extra advice...

There is a question. Aaron in my game is available but his stats arent good. Even my scout are saying he will become good championship club striker. But we all know that he has -9 PA. You think it will be good to grab him? He is currently 21 btw

I am playing as Sheff Wed and I picked up a striker from Benin called Razak Omotoyossi for 250k from Al-Nassr in the Jan transfer Window. The reason being that I dominated many matches but couldnt score for toffee and found myself only 4 points from relegation!

This guy has been a beast and so far has scored 9 in 9 (7 in 5 in the league and 2 in 4 in the cup) including 2 hat tricks. The best thing is he actually attempts to round the keeper unlike most strikers in a one on one situation who blast it straight at him.

I am running a large DB with England, Italy, Portugal and Spain selected.

Hey guys, I really need some advice.

Just won promotion to the Championship in the first season with Crewe. Felt a bit lucky tbh and if I don't strengthen my squad significantly I fear getting mullered next season. Below is my team and I could really use some advice on new signings and where to strengthen.

I expect to get less than £1m to spend.

GK: Fraga

DR: Woodards

DL: Babayaro

DC: Tordoya (good)

DC: Soley/Brayford

MC: Mascio

MC: Giannichedda/Diamé

MR: Hakula (good)

ML: Montesin/Cristea

ST: Guzman/Botero

ST: Acuña (good)/Kronaveter

So... any advice appreciated.

Hi guys, great thread.

Any advice for a good centre-back and a good winger?

I'm blackpool by the way, playing on 9.02 Any help appreciated.

Good centre backs in the first season that are affordable:

Carlos Tordoya 375k

Miguel Rebosio 350k

Hamed Diomande 100k

The prices above are the ones I paid for each player.

What sort of Winger are you after? Left or Right?

Decent left wingers:

Alan Mahon 150k

Willie Gibson 500k

Decent right wingers

Don Cowie 350k

Wade Elliott 1 million

Jermaine Johnson £300k

Hi everyone,

Been having some fun with the 9.02 patch. I'm now just into season three and have accepted the job as manager of Celtic for a bit of a change. However, prior to that, I lead Norwich into the Premiership at the first time of asking (through the play offs again) and kept them in the Premiership, finishing 16th with 47 points.

As you may all remember, I also managed to get Norwich promoted at the first time of asking in the 9.01 patch. You may remember I recommended Henrik Larsson to all Championship sides. Sadly, that's no longer the case. I signed Larsson after really struggling with strikers. He unfortunately failed to have the impact, and was sold having only scored a single league goal for me. But I did find two or three other new signings for recommendation.

First of all, Gary Taylor-Fletcher from Blackpool. If you take a look at the lad, you'll probably be impressed by his finishing and work rate. However, I found on signing him he would do wonderful things, take on and beat defenders and then just make a lame shot straight into the arms of the defender. To work around this, I initially asked him to place his shots, but he refused. So I asked him to hit shots with power - and it made the world of difference. Taylor-Fletcher finished the season having mostly started on the subs bench. But he scored 16 goals, and I would very much recommend him for the bargain price of £180k.

The reason Taylor-Fletcher didn't get a game was because of my next two recommendations. The first is James Keene. Signed from Elfsborg for just over £200k, Keene's work rate, stamina and teamwork made him an "Enthusiastic Striker" before even joining me. My Swedish scout alerted me to his presence and I bought him shortly after allowing Jamie Cureton to leave for £250k. Keene managed to bag 22 goals for me throughout the season and finished as my top scorer. He was a class act, and one I would recommend.

Finally, my find of the season was without a doubt Damian Le Tallec. Not really much of a "find", I'm sure you may have even heard of him. But I signed Le Tallec as a prospect. One cup fixture, though, I played him - and he pretty much secured his place every game after. Le Tallec doesn't score many, but he was the providor of many of the goals for my other strikers. And my coaches think he'll be a leading Premiership striker in future. Definitely one to scout out.

Moving away from strikers, keep an eye on Marseille's Leyti N'Diaye. He's a Senegalese central defender who my scouts found on the transfer list. I bought him for just £60k, and he has become a rock at the back for me. Well worth keeping an eye on and trying to unsettle.

Paul Huntingdon from Leeds was his regular partner. I bought him for £300k and again, he did well. Strong, good in the pass and a threat going forward. Again, Huntingdon is a young man, and will develop nicely if you allow him.

I play a straight 4-4-2 with one central midfielder being attacking and another being defensive. I had real trouble finding the attacking midfielder I wanted though. Pre-January, I had Thomas Gravesen playing there. He didn't work in the slightest and so I released him in January and replaced with Kilmarnock's Mehdi Taouil. I was particularly impressed by Taouil's range of passing; he could thread the ball through the eye of a needle. But he was inconsistent. I nearly wouldn't recommend him - but he got me some important assists and I think for £220k you can do a lot worse!

Finally, my last recommendation is Leed's Bradley Johnson. Impressively versatile, Johnson played left back and left wing for me on various occasions and did well in both but better as the winger. He can dribble and cross a ball, which is something not many wingers can. However, he did play second fiddle as a winger to Wes Hoolahan, who did do slightly better. Still, considering Johnson was not a regular fixture, I'd still recommend to anyone looking for a winger/full back.

As before, I also signed Alexei Smertin and Don Cowie. Cowie in particular is still as brilliant as before, and was available to me on this patch for just £250k! Bargain! For your second season, keep a watch on Dundee's David Robertson. I signed him, initially thinking I wasn't going to make the play offs. I did, and won - but by the time I came to the Premiership, forgot I'd signed him on a bosman! Anyway, I kept him around as a squad player and was forced to play him against Chelsea in my second game. The lad scored two goals and set up a third to help me collect the three points. He later went on to score another 9 for me from central midfield - in the Premiership! I would advise everyone keep him on your shortlist and make a bid in January.

Hi just managed to win the playoff final with Leyton Orient to get my second back to back promotion, now to the premiership. But after the game i realized that i didnt get any money from the matchtickets nor any prizemoney. Has that happened to others or is it just me? I tried replaying the game and loose to see what would happen and then i got both money from the game and prizemoney for finishing fourth in the league. So coming into the premiership im 2 million £ in debt, no transfermoney and a ridiculously small wagebudget.

Surely you should get prizemoney when you get promotion to the premiership right?

iam currently Burnley and well i have left it as a default squad but the one player i did sign was Neal Eardley a solid quality right back from Oldham and what a player i can not reccomend him any higher he is simply class

Did you keep hold of Chris Eagles? Board sold him in Jan09 for £3.5 to Middlesboro...gutted. Struggled to attract any proven championship talent to replace him. How does the club appeal work?

i have just been promoted to championship i am leeds can someone reccomend players that will help me do well in this division in desperate need of striker and only got 2m budget

Hi Burford,

I assume you're in season 2? If so, you've got a decent striker on your books in the form of Jermaine Beckford. He's been a target of mine for some time but sadly I never seem able to snare him for Norwich.

Anyway, if you're still looking for others, you can do worse than go for Taylor Fletcher of Blackpool or Damien Le Tallec from France. Both would go to Leeds, IMO, and would do very well for you. If neither of those take your fancy, look to the transfer list, particularly the sides relegated from the Premiership. They normally have some good, cut price players (look at their transfer status, usually the relegated clubs will transfer list players to reduce wages. If this is the case, ignore the value asked for the club and make a very low bid!).

Also give Chris Porter of Motherwell a go as he's available on a free, and Daniel Sturridge, released from Man City, a go. Both very good Championship strikers.

For Championship players that can make it in the Prem - David Cotterill, Matthew Kilgallon and Brian Howard all did a good job in their first season, have sold them all now for a combined 15 mil, not bad!

Kilgallon went to Liverpool for £7 million, none of it upfront though...

Any less better off teams in the English Championship or League One?

Teams who start the game and are in trouble with money and possibly chairman taking over and accepting transfer bids.

I fancy a challenge.

Cheers

Any less better off teams in the English Championship or League One?

Teams who start the game and are in trouble with money and possibly chairman taking over and accepting transfer bids.

I fancy a challenge.

Cheers

If you want a challenge, Southampton are as good as you can get. An excellent youth team with some decent, Premiership-potential players but absolutely no cash with the distinct possibility of selling those talented players to keep a float.

If not, try Watford. High ambitions on a very low budget.

This place has become pretty dead, therfore tomorrow/ today i will come on here and relight what fire i can; as i restarted my game on patch 9.0.2 or whatever it is...

Some great finds and some amazing funds raised for players in Norwich.

See/speak with you tomorrow!

I am going to start a new game with Watford on 9.0.2. looking at bringing in a number of players. anyone found a good cheap keeper? found a few defenders such as Will Haining and chris Hogg both play in Scotland. Don Cowie is still good. but my biggest problem is up front. most of the guys who were good in previous patchs are now to expensive or rubbish.

out of interest has anyone had any joy with Watford on the new patch?

My Championship Squad to Compete in the Premiership

Idea behind this is to create a Championship squad of 18 who could comfortably compete in the Premiership. The rules are simple; all players must be from a Championship club at the start of FM09. It cannot include loanees from the Premiership but may include anyone belonging to a Championship club on loan to another.

So here's my picks:

GK. Wayne Hennessy (Wolves)

DR. STEPHEN KELLY (Derby)

DL. QUEUDRUE (Birmingham)

DC. DE MERIT (Cardiff)

DC. Mark Beevers (Sheffield Wednesday)

MR. Michael Kightly (Wolves)

ML. Joe Ledley (Cardiff)

MC. BODDE (Bristol City)

MC. Morgan Schneiderlin (Southampton)

FW. Kevin Doyle (Reading)

FW. EBANKS-BLAKE (Preston)

S1. David Marshall (Norwich)

S2. Fitz Hall (QPR)

S3. Michael McIndoe (Bristol City)

S4. Owen Garvan (Ipswich)

S5. Dexter Blackstock (QPR)

S6. Akos Buzasky (QPR)

S7. Kevin Foley (Wolves)

clearly missed out some brilliant premiership quality players who are light years ahead of most players in the champ

Archived