FM09's The Championship Thread: Officially the best second league!

LincolnCanary

It's going to be hard to get a good striker but you could try some of these... Daryl Murphy (Loan) Also plays down the left, Abreu, Henri Anier, Michael Chorpa (Loan), Henrik Larsson, Nenad Injac, Emmanuel Mayuka.

For your versitle midfielder, Mascio, Don Cowie, Rok Kronaveter, Celso Borges, Stanley Aborah, Gerard (Ex Barca), Lansbury (Loan).

Hope that helps you :thup:

Don Cowie has been emmence for me at Derby and got him for under 1M, Celso Borges also is a good one for me as well. Abreu as a striker is settling and doing well, see who you can get on loan. Tito Villa at Derby is a good one as well.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don Cowie has been emmence for me at Derby and got him for under 1M, Celso Borges also is a good one for me as well. Abreu as a striker is settling and doing well, see who you can get on loan. Tito Villa at Derby is a good one as well.

The lowest I've ever got him is £375k + 50% profit sell on. I'm not sure how that converts into dollars. But yes, he's been immense, scores goals from set pieces, sets them up and does very well for my Norwich. Going to keep the faith in him as we go into the Premiership.

just started a new game with birmingham i think i found a few gems for this league

p.masilela 500k

javier acuna 10k(18 acc 17 pace 19 jumping)

h.diomande 250k

c.borges 600k

eduardo 2m

d.aquino 350k

r.lewandowski 1m

b.brezovacki 250k

m.zeman 250k

spent 5.5m after selling queudrue to reading for 3m

My Southampton team in the third season is this (after finishing 4th and then 5th in the Championship in my first two seasons):

GK: Iain Turner (on loan from Everton)

DR: Jean-Alain Fanchone (£1.1m from Strasbourg)

DL: Jlloyd Samuel (on loan from Bolton)

DC: Carlos Tordoya (£325k from Bolivar)

DC: Mariusz Lewandowski (captain; £800k from Shakhtar)

MC: Mascio (£30k from Cisco Roma)

MC: Quention Othon (£1.8m from Strasbourg)

AMR: Juha Hakola (£95k from Flora)

AML: Jeremy Bokila (free from AGOVV)

AMC: Adam Lallana

FC: Blas Perez (on loan from Tigres)

S1: Rune Pedersen, GK (free from OB)

S2: Bobbie Friberg da Cruz, D RC/AM R (£300k from Randers)

S3: George Elokobi, D LC (£250k from Wolves)

S4: Michael Stewart, M C (free from Hearts)

S5: Thibault Bourgeois, ST (free from Metz)

After playing with Norwich for 10 games, losing 10 games, scoring 3 times, I quit, and started again:

My New Team (442):

GK: Marshall/ Ward(Loan)

DR: Pignol (R.Zaragoza 35K)

DL: Bertrand (Loan)/ Drury

DC: Stefanovic/ Glauber(Loan)/ Kennedy(Loan)

MC: Smertin (Free)/ Hurrero(R.Zaragoza 600K)

AMR: Sanmartean (Free)

AML: Ljunberg (Seattle 14K)/ Fleck(Loan)

FC: Murphy (Loan)/ Chopra (Loan)/ Seleznyov(Shaktar 775K)

Plus the rest.

I sold the following to raise the funds:

Ostemboor (1mil)

Russell (1mil)

Lappin (500K)

Fotheringon (500K)

Cureton (250K)

Doing alot better and should make top 6. Currently "tapping up" Henrik Larsson and Ronaldo

Anyone here managed to steal Jermaine Beckford away from Leeds in the 1st season? What sort of deal did you offer Leeds to be able to do it? I'm trying to snag him for my Norwich side and am struggling to come to terms with Leeds.

i tried for entire jan window leeds rejected 3 mill i give up after that and settled for robert lewendowski and he is awesome!!

Robert Lewandowski looks awesome, I'm trying to buy him at the moment but can't afford him. Is he related to Mariusz? - he is my captain. They don't have each other as favoured personnel so perhaps not.

Lewandowski is one of my best players,i bought him my second season with doncaster for 2.2million and he improves alot aswell! This is him in 2011

lewandowskijr6.jpg

Man utd have just offered me 22.5 million for him:D

For NCFC strikers try and get Eugene Seleznyov and Daniel Aquino 775k and 350k respectively, both have been immense for me and helped me get promoted to the Premier League, and I managed to sell Aquino to Aston Villa for 7.5mil, probs could have got more as well

So have finally gotten around to starting my replacement game after my old game fell foul of the Serie C bug. Have gone for trusty old Norwich City again, but this time am looking to try out some different players.

So here's the new set of players I'm experimenting with.

newsquad2is8.jpg

You may well notice a few of the players I've got are ones discussed in my previous posts. Players like Smertin, Murphy and Cowie. For the purposes of these updates, I won't be speaking much about them. But the fact I've signed them in both my Norwich games should speak volumes about how highly I recommend any Championship manager attempting to sign them.

Anyway, so I'll let you know about the others.

Awesome thread, I haven't played in the championship since my last game of FM07 when I started at Crystal Palace and made them into a mid-table EPL team before bolting to the Theater of Dreams. I was only in the Champions League for one year, but I remember it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for bringing the interest back. :)

What have SI done to Birmingham? Theyr god awful. The strikers cannot score goals, the goalkeepers are shocking, Larsson is the only player I have that turns in a 7+ rating regularly. McFadden is hopeless, and unless i get angry with him doesnt even manage a 6 rating. Its appauling. Ive tried 6 different seasons with them in Championship. Signed a few players as cover as the squad is so bloody small. Had Darren Gibson in on loan, Leandro Gioda, Mark Howard (22yo gk with ace stats from some scottish club) signed Juninho Paulista, Igor Duljaj, tried all sorts of tactics and I cant seem to finish any higher than 7th. Im playing high tempo attacking 4-4-2, and cannot win at home in my current game. away ive won 7/11 and drawn 2. its a joke how bad they are. I appreciate that in reality, they arent the greatest team in the world, however, i am sure that the players are good enough to survive in the Premiership, with perhaps a new striker to partner McFadden. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just won the league last night with Sheff Utd, with 102 points. Struggled at the start of the season but really picked it up after Christmas and only lost once. I also won the FA Cup! Beat Everton in the final 1-0 after beating Chelsea and Man Utd along the way. Have no idea how I managed it, a lot of parking the bus was needed.

Am at work now so can't remember the exact ins and outs but here's the run down of my signings:

Summer (all figures in GBP)

Seleznyov - top scorer with 22

Gustavo Cabral from River - 1.4 mil - very solid cb, great in the air

Carlos Tordoya - cheap CB, very solid

Appiah - free - wants about £17k in wages but is easily the best midfielder in the divison

Fiore - free - does a job, but is far too inconsistent

Peter Masiliela - 300k ish - excellent fullback, rarely puts a foot wrong

Christian Molinaro - 300k from Juventus - great left back, bombs up the wing and is good at set pieces.

Daniel Aquino - 900k - scored 2 on his debut and then faded badly, but came back towards the end of the season and looks like a top prospect

Binya - 275k - very good cm, complains if he doesn't play though

Ciprian Deac - 700k - good little winger on each flank, always seems to get a 7

Plus a couple of youngsters for the future like Delph, Anier, Smolov - all looking good so far

Jan

Marquinhos (sp) - 1.5m - was unhappy at his club and I got him on the cheap, took a little time to settle but has been inspired since.

Really can't remember exactly who I sold and for how much (lot of dead wood to shift!), but these were the highlights

Summer

Naysmith - 1.5m to WBA

Webber - 1.5m to Middlesboro

Montgomery - 800k to Fulham

Beattie - 5m, yes 5m to Middlesboro - he is quite good, but I couldn't believe they offered this after I had reject a 2mil bid.

Jan

Morgan - 500k to Burnley

Stephen Quinn - now here's the shocking one. He was one of my best players at this point, very consistent, loads of assists, value of about 2mil, had a couple of clubs sniffing around but didn't need the money so was holding out for 5mil, when with about 2 days left of the window Man City came in and offered NINE MILLION for him. Chairman accepted on my behalf, I nearly fell off my chair.

Have been given 8mil to spend in the Prem, need to strengthen upfront as I don't think Henderson and Sharp will cut it, and could do with a better AM than Brian Howard.

Roll on the Prem!

I've got binya in my Sheff Utd team, he's extremely versatile, I've trained him to play midfield or defence now.

Daniel Aquino is another excellent player, good prospect to be a prem star.

I'd recommend you try and pick up Oscar Cardozo on loan for your prem season, he's a great foil for whoever else you got playing up top, scores and assists loads.

pooleo-i just birmingham promoted ,i ran away with the league getting 102 points 14 clear of reading.if you want tactics try knaps107 or jimmys442 both served me well.i`ll tell you who i signed

seleznyov 775k -got 36 goals

lewandowsk 1m i-got 23 goals

gioda 1m

aquino 375k

billy jones exchange

eduardo 2.2m plays anywhere on the left plus centre back

mattock 2.5m

delph 2.4m

masilela 500k

mascio 250k

sold

queudrue 3m

o`connor 2m

parnaby 2m

jaidi 475k

nafti contract ended

jerome contract ended

martin taylor exchange

murphy 3m

i ended up spending 12m but recouping 10 from sales i think there was a couple of more sales but i cant think of them at the moment.

I have Kevin Phillips, Marcus Bent, O'Connor and Jerome. Which one should I sell? I think its between Jerome, O'Connor and Bent. Maybe two of them.

Also I highly recommend Ismael Bangoura. I got him for £1.5M upfront £1.4 over 12 months. He is an AM R/L and FC but plays best as a right winger.

Also can anyone recommend a pacey centre back for between £1M and £2M as my defence is soooo slow.

Thanks

started my new game with birmingham with the new patch,been busy in the transfer market offloading queudrue,nafti and mcsheffery for 6m and bringing in skjelbred for 1.5m reginiussen for 1.2m eduardo(botafogo)for 2m and seleznyov for 2m tring to bring in quality players this time

Hi i'm about to start a new game after having played with Juventus for a few seasons.

I would like to have a completely different challenge. Can someone recommend me an English club in the Championship?

The club should meet the following criteria as best as possible:

- Battling for one of the play-off places. ie. looking for a shot at promotion in the first season.

- Some young English talent with EPL potential already in the club.

- Decent stadium that the club owns and can expand

just wondering if the crystal palace squad is good enough to be promoted without me signing anyone?

Also which database is best?

And are there any good youngsters that will become awsome that i can get for almost free, like offering them a contract?

cheers

The club should meet the following criteria as best as possible:

- Battling for one of the play-off places. ie. looking for a shot at promotion in the first season.

- Some young English talent with EPL potential already in the club.

- Decent stadium that the club owns and can expand

Might be a bit bias but Sheffield United fit your bill on all counts, but it is still a challenge and their is work to do with the squad.

Any Championship players capable of making the step up to the Premiership and becoming the next Jagielka/Lescott? I reckon Billy Jones, Karl Henry and I suppose Joe Ledley could..any others?

Schneiderlin from Southampton. Maybe not quite in the first season, but after a year or so, he's definately Premiership class. Probably the best player in the Championship

i just had a disaster with Norwich City

jan window second season i was flying and my brilliant board decided to sell Lewandowski for 5 mill and keith andrews for 2 mill

offers they couldnt refuse my arse!

now im stuck in second half of season with my 2 best players gone!!!

Schneiderlin from Southampton. Maybe not quite in the first season, but after a year or so, he's definately Premiership class. Probably the best player in the Championship

Would largely agree that Schneiderlin is Premier class, but best player in the Championship? Not sure I'd agree with that.

My Championship Squad to Compete in the Premiership

Idea behind this is to create a Championship squad of 18 who could comfortably compete in the Premiership. The rules are simple; all players must be from a Championship club at the start of FM09. It cannot include loanees from the Premiership but may include anyone belonging to a Championship club on loan to another.

So here's my picks:

GK. Wayne Hennessy (Wolves)

DR. David Connolly (Derby)

DL. David Murphy (Birmingham)

DC. Roger Johnson (Cardiff)

DC. Mark Beevers (Sheffield Wednesday)

MR. Michael Kightly (Wolves)

ML. Joe Ledley (Cardiff)

MC. Marvin Elliot (Bristol City)

MC. Morgan Schneiderlin (Southampton)

FW. Kevin Doyle (Reading)

FW. Neil Mellor (Preston)

S1. David Marshall (Norwich)

S2. Fitz Hall (QPR)

S3. Michael McIndoe (Bristol City)

S4. Owen Garvan (Ipswich)

S5. Dexter Blackstock (QPR)

S6. Akos Buzasky (QPR)

S7. Kevin Foley (Wolves)

Would largely agree that Schneiderlin is Premier class, but best player in the Championship? Not sure I'd agree with that.

Taking into account both his current ability and potential, then I say he is the best. There are some that are a bit better than him at the present, but give him a season or two and he is incredible.

I'm starting my last FM before Christmas with Blackpool (i'm a Hull fan and Blackpool have brought a lot of are old players, Stuart Green, Mcphee, Burgess etc). Looking for some bargains in the Hull squad and have found these too be the best options:

Welsh (loan)

France (250k)

Windass (75k)

My Championship Squad to Compete in the Premiership

Idea behind this is to create a Championship squad of 18 who could comfortably compete in the Premiership. The rules are simple; all players must be from a Championship club at the start of FM09. It cannot include loanees from the Premiership but may include anyone belonging to a Championship club on loan to another.

So here's my picks:

GK. Wayne Hennessy (Wolves)

DR. David Connolly (Derby)

DL. David Murphy (Birmingham)

DC. Roger Johnson (Cardiff)

DC. Mark Beevers (Sheffield Wednesday)

MR. Michael Kightly (Wolves)

ML. Joe Ledley (Cardiff)

MC. Marvin Elliot (Bristol City)

MC. Morgan Schneiderlin (Southampton)

FW. Kevin Doyle (Reading)

FW. Neil Mellor (Preston)

S1. David Marshall (Norwich)

S2. Fitz Hall (QPR)

S3. Michael McIndoe (Bristol City)

S4. Owen Garvan (Ipswich)

S5. Dexter Blackstock (QPR)

S6. Akos Buzasky (QPR)

S7. Kevin Foley (Wolves)

Roger Johnson has been a great signing for my Wolves team, and also Joe Ledley. I'd have to say Ebanks-Blake is 1 of the best srtikers in league and has been superb for me. And Matt Murray is alot better David Marshall., I'd probably put Garvan instead of Marvin Elliott. Richard Stearman is the best RB in the league.

Insua from Liverpool is always a great loanee to get always plays well. Makukula is a strong signing for most teams in the league and can always be signed cheap(120k).

Roger Johnson has been a great signing for my Wolves team, and also Joe Ledley. I'd have to say Ebanks-Blake is 1 of the best srtikers in league and has been superb for me. And Matt Murray is alot better David Marshall., I'd probably put Garvan instead of Marvin Elliott. Richard Stearman is the best RB in the league.

Insua from Liverpool is always a great loanee to get always plays well. Makukula is a strong signing for most teams in the league and can always be signed cheap(120k).

You're obviously a Wolves fan, aren't you?

The squad I've gone for is spread out a bit so I've not monopolised the talent from one side.

You're obviously a Wolves fan, aren't you?

The squad I've gone for is spread out a bit so I've not monopolised the talent from one side.

No I'm not a Wolves fan! Just started as them and they have some great players. I've played as a few Championship teams and have come to the conclusion they are 1 of the best in the league.

I was just telling everyone about good reliable players in the championship that are solid.

I'm playing as Reading and have decided to go down the route of buying players who will be good in the premier league, rather than quick-fixes. I sold players such as Lita, Murty, Ingimarsson, Armstrong, Gunnarsson and Sodje and replaced them with Rat (lb-Shaktar), Bolanos (LDU-best rm but can cover across midfield and fullback positions) and Benitez (can't remember what club off top of my head- Ecuadorian striker who is amazing!). Also brought in on loan Gibson, Fabio and Merida. Think i have now got a squad capable of winning the championship and staying up in the premier league (poss strengthen cm and cb though due to return of loans).

My starting line-up. 4-4-2

gk: Hahnemann

rb: Rosenior

lb: Rat

cb: Cisse

cb: Bikey

rm: Bolanos

cm (d): Harper

cm (a): Matejovsky

lm: S Hunt

fwd: Doyle

fwd: Benitez

Subs from Federici, Pearce, Fabio, Gibson, Merida, Long, N Hunt, Kebe.

A few points here:

Is there a Leyton Orient thread?

Carlos Ruiz is a good player for the championship

I have a good squad for Leyton Orient just been promoted, now in Championship, stuck in 23rd 8 or 9 points from 12 or so games what should i do any suggestions?

I am conceding far to many goals. need a good back 4. I've already got Tordoya, Maybe a goalie might help

A few points here:

Is there a Leyton Orient thread?

Carlos Ruiz is a good player for the championship

I have a good squad for Leyton Orient just been promoted, now in Championship, stuck in 23rd 8 or 9 points from 12 or so games what should i do any suggestions?

I am conceding far to many goals. need a good back 4. I've already got Tordoya, Maybe a goalie might help

Have you looked into getting loans for the back line? My first season with Derby I loved me some loans. Get in the loan market and that will help alot. I had a stiker issue and took Chopra on loan and he saved my butt big tim.

I don't think there is a Leyton Orient thread, you should make one.

just wondering if the crystal palace squad is good enough to be promoted without me signing anyone?

Also which database is best?

And are there any good youngsters that will become awsome that i can get for almost free, like offering them a contract?

cheers

This might help you Sir, I am sorry I do not know the answer, but these guys might http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=84028

Archived