FM2009 Official Southampton Thread

Matthew Le God

You'd have thought that after two seasons of just missing out on promotion, my average attendance would be climbing. But I'm barely scraping 15,000 for a home game. My recent 'fan day' attracted a paltry 18,000 who saw a great 3-0 victory but it seems to have had negligible effect on the week-to-week numbers. Any ideas? Why is Southampton's attendance so low (IRL)?

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they say every cloud has a silver lining, and I guess this one did, as I had a pretty happy time in the transfer window. Board gave me just over £10m, but with a pretty good wage budget (~£190kpw), and some creative accounting (ie paying over 24 months :p), my signings look like this:

Transfers1011.gif

Baker is a promising 16yo AMR, Barth and Camilo are 18 year olds, DC & AMRC respecitvely and both are good enough to provide cover, and with the potential to be good first teamers in a couple of years. Milevskyi and Gioda are, unsuprisingly, key players :D

I've got ~£500k and ~£10kpw left if anything nice crops up - most likely a hot youngster or two (no, not like that....)

How did you manage to get hold of Ramsey?

After Arsenal signed Borges they offered out Ramsey.

With the extra 40 mil i signed Van der Vaart for 6 mil, Downing for 20 mil and witsel for 16 mil started the league reasonalbly well played 4 won 2 drew 1 lost 1 lost to Fulham, drew with Man U and beat Blackburn and Stoke

I'm just starting my 3rd season as southampton. Finished 13th and then a dissapointing 12th.

first season i signed abreu, insua, collison.

second season i signed benjani, grandin, de ridder, shittu, alan richie and bailey.

so far i have signed in the 3rd season, danny collins, sebastion, kinorbo.

I'm looking for more players.

I have a nice budget, need a goal scorer.

I have sold a few good players, such as james, scniderlin etc.

please recommend me some good players, a Gk, Goalscorer and a Right winger.

please help

For the keeper, I'll make the same reccomendation I always seem to: Mariusz Pawalek. He's doing a great job for me in the Premiership, and both Arsenal and Liverpool are interested in him (presumably only as a backup, but still).

Strikers are hard. Most of the good one's that would join you are almost certainly taken already by season 3. Try looking through the reserves of the Premiership teams. There always seems to be a few players they have bought and not used for some reason or other.

Right winger, well, join the club...

Doing brilliant with Saints just by using the youngsters. I sold Skacel for 2.6 mil to Reading and bought Matt Oakley and Christophe Berra. Got Welbeck on loan but he's gone back now and extended Cork's loan.

Got promoted first season through playoffs and bought Stephen Ireland and Ched Evans. Currently 10th in Premier after 17 games. Schniederlin, Lallana and Surman are ridiculously good

I'm surprised no one has the same problems as me. I have to sell Schneiderlin and Surman at the end of my first year because of the stupid chairman. Then in the middle of my 2nd season,( where I'm gunning for the playoffs) Rupert again as moron as he is accept bids for Lallana (best player by miles) and Dyer. How can I cope with this?

You guys didnt face the same problem?

I'm surprised no one has the same problems as me. I have to sell Schneiderlin and Surman at the end of my first year because of the stupid chairman. Then in the middle of my 2nd season,( where I'm gunning for the playoffs) Rupert again as moron as he is accept bids for Lallana (best player by miles) and Dyer. How can I cope with this?

You guys didnt face the same problem?

This will very likely all unfold for real during the next month, shows the games data is accurate ;)

Oswaldo, how do you sell your players for so much---i hear the apprentice calling lol

plus what data base version are you using?? doesn't happen in mine.

Thought i would start a new saints game as rupert was annoying me 2 much selling everyone for little money....so had a little play with the editor, put his interference down and whilst i was there couldn't help putting his business up a little as well. Hopefully it will go better now :)

With borges he played amazingly in my first season in the prem and came runner up for young player of the year. Then when the rumours started he became unsettled so i just offered him to clubs for a price that I would definately accept (30 mil i think he was valued at something like 7mil) and big teams bidded for him.

The other 3 i dont really know Marquinhos had a good if not amazing first season for me but all the big teams in the world were interested. I bought him for 7.5 mil which was his min fee release and within 3 months of playing for me he was worth 14 mil so again i just offered him out for 50 mil and Real and Barca bid for him that was at the end of my third season. Aquino and Yussuf i just re nogotiated offers to something i would accept not really expecting the clubs to bid so high and they both did.

Im just as amazed as you that clubs were willing to pay so much for a player!

With borges he played amazingly in my first season in the prem and came runner up for young player of the year. Then when the rumours started he became unsettled so i just offered him to clubs for a price that I would definately accept (30 mil i think he was valued at something like 7mil) and big teams bidded for him.

The other 3 i dont really know Marquinhos had a good if not amazing first season for me but all the big teams in the world were interested. I bought him for 7.5 mil which was his min fee release and within 3 months of playing for me he was worth 14 mil so again i just offered him out for 50 mil and Real and Barca bid for him that was at the end of my third season. Aquino and Yussuf i just re nogotiated offers to something i would accept not really expecting the clubs to bid so high and they both did.

Im just as amazed as you that clubs were willing to pay so much for a player!

It's a bug. Play realistically and you'll have more fun!

How well does each young star at Southampton become in the end?

i.e. Andrej Pernecky, Andrew Surman, Joseph Mills, Jamie Hatch, Oliver Lancashire, Aaran Racine, Morgan Schneiderlin, Jamie White, Jake Thomson and Matthew Paterson?

Anyone got any screenies later on in the game or playing well ar Premiership level?

Thanks.

Four years in Pernecky is still a prospect in my Reserves, Surman is rotation at Bolton (lower midtable Prem), Hatch is in my Reserves but on loan to Gillingham, Lancashire I sold for £300K, Racine is in my Reserves but on loan to Wigan, Schneiderlin I sold for £4.2M to a French club, White I sold to Sunderland for £1M and he is rotation, Thomson went somewhere for £400K, Paterson I still have but am loaning to a League 2 club.

How well does each young star at Southampton become in the end?

i.e. Andrej Pernecky, Andrew Surman, Joseph Mills, Jamie Hatch, Oliver Lancashire, Aaran Racine, Morgan Schneiderlin, Jamie White, Jake Thomson and Matthew Paterson?

Anyone got any screenies later on in the game or playing well ar Premiership level?

Thanks.

I was midway through my third season as the Saints when I decided to play a long term career game instead, but I'll say how my youngsters were doing.

Surman: Useful rotation player

Schneiderlin: Fantastic player. Improved massively in all areas. Now my captain, and he's taken on the responsability well. Would probably get in to any team outside the top four, and he's still got more room to develop.

Lallana: Another excellent one. His attributes dont seem that great, but he's scoring freely and picking up plenty of assists from the AMC position

Thompson: Plays reasonably well, but his attributes haven't really improved much.

James: Good Premiership level right back

Everyone else: Not enough potential. They'd be good if you were stuck in the Championship, but they're never gonna cut it at a higher level.

In January of my 3rd season and Arsenal have made an offer of upto £18m for Adam Lallana. I negotiated the deal to an upfront lump sum of £30m. Wupert Lowe tried to intervene but after much cosideration I decided against selling him for a number of reasons.

These being; wouldn't be able to replace Lallana with an equal or better quality player, no real other transfer targets out there, he has been on fire for me, and I want to keep the likes of Surman, Schneiderlin and Lallana as the heartbeat of the squad.

This is what my line up looks like at the moment:

Fabianski (Arsenal)

Cork/James - Kilgallon (Sheff Utd) - Beevers (Sheff Wed) - Mattock (Leicester)

Schneiderlin - Luigi Bruins (Ajax)

Alexis Sanchez (Udinese) - Adam Lallana - Surman/Joe Ledley (Cardiff)

Daniel Sturridge (Man City)

Usually play short passing, in true Jan style and formation. However i'm doing a lot better than he is!

I'm loving my Saints game.

1st season I had a bad start and was hovering around the relegation zone but I turned it around and got promoted via the playoff's in the end.

1st Season Transfers

1stseasontranferskc0.jpg

1st Season League Table

1stleaguetableny5.jpg

After scraping promotion first season I was given a small budget.

Luckily I managed to Sign Bojan on a free and he got 26 goals in 40 games also Zarate scored 26 goals in 42 games after costing £5.5m

I scraped staying up but also had a great FA Cup run and got to the semi finals.

2nd Season Transfers

2ndseasontransfersvz6.jpg

2nd Season League Table

2ndseasonleaguewh2.jpg

I've been given a budget of £7m for saying I'd achieve a safe mid table position.

I was midway through my third season as the Saints when I decided to play a long term career game instead, but I'll say how my youngsters were doing.

Surman: Useful rotation player

Schneiderlin: Fantastic player. Improved massively in all areas. Now my captain, and he's taken on the responsability well. Would probably get in to any team outside the top four, and he's still got more room to develop.

Lallana: Another excellent one. His attributes dont seem that great, but he's scoring freely and picking up plenty of assists from the AMC position

Thompson: Plays reasonably well, but his attributes haven't really improved much.

James: Good Premiership level right back

Everyone else: Not enough potential. They'd be good if you were stuck in the Championship, but they're never gonna cut it at a higher level.

In January of my 3rd season and Arsenal have made an offer of upto £18m for Adam Lallana. I negotiated the deal to an upfront lump sum of £30m. Wupert Lowe tried to intervene but after much cosideration I decided against selling him for a number of reasons.

These being; wouldn't be able to replace Lallana with an equal or better quality player, no real other transfer targets out there, he has been on fire for me, and I want to keep the likes of Surman, Schneiderlin and Lallana as the heartbeat of the squad.

This is what my line up looks like at the moment:

Fabianski (Arsenal)

Cork/James - Kilgallon (Sheff Utd) - Beevers (Sheff Wed) - Mattock (Leicester)

Schneiderlin - Luigi Bruins (Ajax)

Alexis Sanchez (Udinese) - Adam Lallana - Surman/Joe Ledley (Cardiff)

Daniel Sturridge (Man City)

Usually play short passing, in true Jan style and formation. However i'm doing a lot better than he is!

Thank-you very much both of you!

Will try and get a good Southampton game going day.

However, please could you tell me what training you used on Lallana and Schneiderlin to get them so good or didn't you do any?

Thanks again.

I'm loving my Saints game.

1st season I had a bad start and was hovering around the relegation zone but I turned it around and got promoted via the playoff's in the end.

1st Season Transfers

1stseasontranferskc0.jpg

1st Season League Table

1stleaguetableny5.jpg

After scraping promotion first season I was given a small budget.

Luckily I managed to Sign Bojan on a free and he got 26 goals in 40 games also Zarate scored 26 goals in 42 games after costing £5.5m

I scraped staying up but also had a great FA Cup run and got to the semi finals.

2nd Season Transfers

2ndseasontransfersvz6.jpg

2nd Season League Table

2ndseasonleaguewh2.jpg

I've been given a budget of £7m for saying I'd achieve a safe mid table position.

Sounds good. Did you also use the 4-2-3-1 tactic or differ?

First season I was using the 4-2-3-1 pompey standard from the tactics forum but second season I used the Duke V3 to accomodate Zarate and Bojan.

Zarate wants to leave but I can't get a bid of over £15m so hes not going anywhere.

Schneiderlein unfortunately was very unhappy and I had to let him go for £10m

And Lallana never fulfilled his potential so got £7m for him

First season I was using the 4-2-3-1 pompey standard from the tactics forum but second season I used the Duke V3 to accomodate Zarate and Bojan.

Zarate wants to leave but I can't get a bid of over £15m so hes not going anywhere.

Schneiderlein unfortunately was very unhappy and I had to let him go for £10m

And Lallana never fulfilled his potential so got £7m for him

Cheers. What training did you use for them though?

Season 3 Signings

Ins

Joe Mattock £3m

Sebastian Vieira Free

Lauren Free

Leon Andreasson £1.8m

Rafael Carioca £4m

Willian £2.8m

Wijnaldum £2.5m

Mariusz Lewandowski £500k

Vidangossy £325k

Rodney Sneijder £10m

Out

Lallana £7M (Never fulfilled his potential only became a decent premier league player)

Schneiderlein £10m plus 20% sell on fee (Distraught at losing him he is the best player at the club but he insisted on leaving)

Carlos Tordoya £4.5m (Bought for 400k 2 years ago)

Jerzy Dudek £1m (Bought for free 1 year ago)

Mauro Zarate £15m (I didn't want to sell but he kept not coming to training and disrupting the team)

Marcos Caceres £5m (Bought on a bosman 1 year ago)

1st XI

GK Vieira

LB Mattock

CB Rodwell

CB Andreason

RB Lauren

CM Carioca

CM Sneijder

AML Todorov

AMC Willian

AMR Wijnaldum

ST Bojan

I wanted Marquinhos to replace Zarate but his WP was turned down so I went for Sneijder.

1srtteamwx4.jpg

Early Season Results

Southampton 3-0 Arsenal (Fantastic result thanks to God AKA Bojan 2 goals a abosolute legend)

Everton 2-1 Southampton (Unlucky because we took the lead. Bojan scored again and is relishing his role as Captain)

League Cup:Southampton 3-0 Birmingham (Bojan got 2 and has now scored 5 goals in 3 games and Willian got his first club goal)

Season 3 Signings

Ins

Joe Mattock £3m

Sebastian Vieira Free

Lauren Free

Leon Andreasson £1.8m

Rafael Carioca £4m

Willian £2.8m

Wijnaldum £2.5m

Mariusz Lewandowski £500k

Vidangossy £325k

Rodney Sneijder £10m

Out

Lallana £7M (Never fulfilled his potential only became a decent premier league player)

Schneiderlein £10m plus 20% sell on fee (Distraught at losing him he is the best player at the club but he insisted on leaving)

Carlos Tordoya £4.5m (Bought for 400k 2 years ago)

Jerzy Dudek £1m (Bought for free 1 year ago)

Mauro Zarate £15m (I didn't want to sell but he kept not coming to training and disrupting the team)

Marcos Caceres £5m (Bought on a bosman 1 year ago)

1st XI

GK Vieira

LB Mattock

CB Rodwell

CB Andreason

RB Lauren

CM Carioca

CM Sneijder

AML Todorov

AMC Willian

AMR Wijnaldum

ST Bojan

I wanted Marquinhos to replace Zarate but his WP was turned down so I went for Sneijder.

1srtteamwx4.jpg

Early Season Results

Southampton 3-0 Arsenal (Fantastic result thanks to God AKA Bojan 2 goals a abosolute legend)

Everton 2-1 Southampton (Unlucky because we took the lead. Bojan scored again and is relishing his role as Captain)

You're doing well good. Gonna start a league now.

One thing though, plaese could u post a link to that 4-2-3-1 tactic that you are using?

Thanks.

Im using this tactic.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=88891

Another good tactic I used for about 20 games was this one

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=89347

I used this one in season two.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=84692

I'd recomend using the top tactic at the start and use the standard one.

Also use Bradley Wright Philips upfront on his own and hes a beast in the championship he scored 29 goals in 34 league matches in season 1.

I scraped survival again and the clubs starting to get better financially.

I had a £15m budget.

Ins

Nicklas Bendtner £3.9m

Van Der Vaart £6.5m

Gretar Steinsson Free

Gael Kakuta Free

Christophe Berra £4m

Subotic £11m

Mathieu £6m

Manninger £2m

Defour £12m

Outs

Nainggolan £5m (Was bought for 500k 3 seasons ago)

Todorov £4.2m (Was bought for 600k 3 seasons ago)

Sebastian Vieira £5m (Was bought for free 1 season ago)

Joe Mattock £9m (Was bought for £3m a season before)

Andreason £4m

Rafael Carioca £12m (Was bought for £4m 1 season before

1st XI

GK Manninger

LB Mathieu

CB Berra

CB Subotic

RB Steinsson

CDM Defour

LM Sneijder

RM Wijnaldum

CAM Van Der Vaart

ST Bendtner

ST Bojan

Thank-you very much both of you!

Will try and get a good Southampton game going day.

However, please could you tell me what training you used on Lallana and Schneiderlin to get them so good or didn't you do any?

Thanks again.

I used Tugs 08 training schedules. His 09 ones seemed to give me too many injuries.

How have you guys got Lallana so good? I never usually use scouting programs but I was downgrading some Arsenal player with FM RTE (my database is 9.0.0 so it's very much justified) and took a quick gander at him and at 23 years old he's WELL short of his potential and obviously won't get near it. I suppose all this retraining to play on the wing must have really hurt his CA development :(

Im in my second season with the mighty saints at the moment.

Scrapped promotion in the 1st season via playoffs (thanks to a last minute goal by Preston at QPR allowing me to jump above QPR by 1 point)

my starting XI is:

--------------DAVIS----------------------

JAMES-----REGEN-----REGEN----REGEN---

------------SCHNEIDERLIN----------------

DELPH---MASCIO(god)--SURMAN---MOSES

------------STURRIDGE/ZAKI--------------

Sitting 14th in the prem at the moment coming into January. In the 1st season I had Matty Fryatt up front but the lure of Middlesborough was too great from him and the lure of 4million too great for my stupid chairman who sold him!!!

My defence is the shakiest part of the team at the moment, as I had to see some of the experienced players to get money in the 1st season.

Are there and CB's and LB's anyone could reccomend me up to £500k.

Also, Davis is getting on a bit now so are there any good young goalkeepers in the £500k price range who'd be interested in joining the Saints?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

BTW, I beat Arsenal (kids) 4-0 in the carling cup- best achievement so far

Also, I'm on patch 9.0.1 so I feel gutted to miss out on the "Bojan for free deal" --> not that he would have come to me anyway

EDIT: Just loaned Fryatt back....I'm so happy!

Just finished my first season. Unlucky to finish 3 points outside of the play offs. My team plays some cracking football, but I have really struggled without a decent centre foward. This is an area I am looking to address in the summer. Already agreed deals for some players including Mascio, so hopefully I can push on next season.

saintstableseason1.jpg

saintssquadseason1.jpg

saintsteamseason1.jpg

saintstransfersseason1.jpg

Archived