FM2009 Official Southampton Thread

Matthew Le God

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sold Davis, Skacel, Surman, Thomas and Saganowski to free up wages and get me back in the black.

Signed Laslandes (really good actually), Smertin, Perrier-Doumbe, Insua (on loan) and Stephen Appiah. I should be fine.

---------------Bialkowski

Doumbe -- Saejis -- Lancashire -- Insua

---------------Smertin

----------Schneiderlin -- Gillett

Thomson-----------------------Smith

----------------Laslandes

Play defensive, counter-attacking football. With Thomson, Smith, Mills and McLaggon for wingers there is a lot of pace there to get behind the opposition back line, and Laslandes has a heading ability of 19 so he is knocking them in all over the place.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to stop conceding as well. Liptak has surprised me, he is actually very good.

that side looks very decent

christ laslandes must be old by now but was a good targetman in his heyday

in this save im trying to avoid signing slightly older players

i havent really played gillet how good is he? also i prefer davis in goal although there isnt a lot in it admittley

that side looks very decent

christ laslandes must be old by now but was a good targetman in his heyday

in this save im trying to avoid signing slightly older players

i havent really played gillet how good is he? also i prefer davis in goal although there isnt a lot in it admittley

Laslandes is old, but i'm just aiming to get through this season. Saving up what money I can for a bit of a push next year.

Gillett is quite good, both at defending and going forward. His corners are better than his stats say, for some reason.

And I had to get rid of Davis just because of his wages, Bialkowski is good enough but i've signed another keeper anyway, can't remember his name right now.

Anyone got any ideas how I can stop my players from getting so tired every match? It wasn't a problem on the old patch, but since the update they are always on 80-85 at halftime and 60-75 at fulltime. To me that is far too low, on the old patch most of my team would finish the game above 80 (unless they got a knock).

I haven't changed training or anything, they are just on general.

I've just returned to my Southampton save after a brief sojourn with Inter until the co-ownership bug rendered that save unplayable. It's my fifth season, and we just got tycooned - unfotunately on February 1st. Last year we came 7th in the Premier League, and presently (February) we are 9th. Just about to send out a youth team to the Emirates - throwing the game in favour of having a fit squad for the UEFA Cup. Now, this is what I was missing with Inter... *rubs hands*

I cannot take the grin off my face... I have just won the UEFA Cup (or Europa League, or whatever it's called in 2013-14) against all odds. We somehow went through Manchester United in the First Knockout Round, Aston Villa (on penalties) in the Quarter-Finals, Juventus (yes Juventus) in the Semi-Finals... and our opponents for the Final? The formidable Barcelona, who had knocked out Real Madrid in the Semi-Finals.

For some reason, the final would be played at St. Mary's - presumably a bug as I had had no notification that we would host any European finals. I selected my team more in hope than with any confidence, though the team were brimming with the latter after demolishing Aston Villa in the league in midweek. And after an insipid opening half-hour, spoiled by a referee intent on dishing out a slew of cards, Ched Evans gave us a surprise lead.

The team had worked so hard, too hard to take their eyes off the ball - but they did. In dreamland after Evans' goal, the Southampton defence was helpless as Iniesta collected the ball on the edge of the D and flighted a stunning curler past Kasper Schmeichel. But for all the individual brilliance of that goal, Barcelona were not functioning as a team, and we were somehow in front again when Christian Maggio powered in a corner just before half-time.

We hoped we might hold out, as impossible as it sounded, to beat Barcelona and lift the cup. But a moment of mesmerising magnificence from Messi put paid to that. Just seconds after Matt Preece's volley from a corner cannoned away off Daniel Alves, Messi was sprinting up the right, outpacing Blasczykowski to cut inside and finish past Schmeichel for a truly stunning equaliser.

Nonetheless, Barcelona's team game still wasn't there, and as good as Messi's and Iniesta's goals had been, their teammates couldn't match Southampton's work rate. Barcelona nearly won it at the death, but Schmeichel was equal to Piqué's half-volley, improbably pushing it around the post. The consequent corner was headed emphatically away by Valentino Nicoletti and we had extra time.

Only three minutes in, disaster struck. Messi burst infield from the wing and, already booked, Preece knew he had to take one for the team. He trudged off in despair, but he had averted what had looked to be a certain goal. Gerson replaced him in the defence and Preece's selflessness would turn out to be crucial.

Because, halfway through the second period of extra time, Ched Evans chipped in a cross from the by-line that caught the wind, or span off his boot, or some such occurrence that wrong-footed Victor Valdes. The ball hung in the air before dropping delicately into the net, and the ten men of Southampton were 3-2 up. I looked to shut up shop, and as close as Barca came - and come they did, in waves - my brave back line was equal to it.

Southampton's improbable UEFA Cup-winning side of 2014 (asterisks denote regens):

GK: Kasper Schmeichel (second-choice goalkeeper who had a run in the side when German Lux broke his finger, and kept his place in the final weeks of the season)

DR: Christian Maggio

DL: Valentino Nicoletti*

DC: Mirel Radoi

DC: Matt Preece*

MR: Jakub Blaszcykowski

ML: Alex Teixeira

MC: Mascio

MC: Stephane Mbia

FC: Denys Petrov*

ST: Ched Evans

The substitutes were Denilson, Radek Sirl and Gerson. Heroes, all of them!

Gordon Strachan is "on cloud nine", the board (under the new Polish 'sugar daddy'!) believes anything is possible with me at the helm, and the fans want to build me a statue!

Soton is 3rd in CCC in late Feb 2009. I'm playing a 4-2-2-2. Who would people suggest I target when/if I make the prem?

GK: Kelvin Davis / Bialkowski (being tsfrd Jun 09)

DL: Surman / J. Mills

DC: Alexis (expiring ctrct) / Wotton

DC: Leandro Gioda / Lancashire

DR: Barragan (Feb 1 buy!) / U. de la Cruz (expiring)

MC: J.McArthur / Matteo Alberti

MC: M. Schniederlin / S. Gillett

AML: N.McCann / BWP / Surman / J.Mills

AMR: N. Dyer / J. Thomson / Diego Lopez (24k buy from Tours FC)

FC: J. beckford / Gigliotta (L - option to buy 2.3 m) / McGoldrick / Diego Tristan

I figure I'll need to replace GK, DL, 1 DC, 1 AML, 1 or both Fwds with Prem quality. Suggestions? I have no idea what kind of cash I'll have to spend either (so illuminating that would be good too.)

Frustrating first season

Decided to go with my beloved Saints to get a break from my long-term Solihull Moors game. Wanted to see how strong the 442 I have built really was.

Started off with a hefty transfer budget of £0 and almost no room for new players because of the wage budget.

Only player of significance that was brought in was Stephen Appiah - which was perhaps the smartest move Ive done in a long time, since mr Lowe decided to accept a bid for Schneiderlin from Fulham (£2.7M) in the January window - withouth giving me anything extra to buy players for.

Thanks to selling off, loaning out and getting high-earners to accept lower wages, I managed to create room for bringing in Steven Kabba(free from Watford).

BWP was on decent form to begin with; scoring 13 goals from 23 appearances. Then he went on strike, scoring 4 goals in 21 matches - before scoring 5 goals in the last 7.

I had problem finding a partner for him though, Saganowski was the one that performed best together with him, until Kabba arrived.

Home form was excellent, unbeaten until February when I lost two matches in a row - before going unbeaten rest of the season. Our problem was the away form; we only picked up 9 points from the first 15 games. I did some changes to the away tactic which resulted in 10 points in the last 8 matches. If only I had done the tweaks before:mad:

We ended up 8th with 70 points, 7 points off play-offs. 77 goals scored aint too bad, but letting in 66 is extreme.

Best XI:

(Pos/Name/Avr/Gls/Ass)

GK Davis 6.91 0 0

DR Thomson 6.84 0 4

DL Mills 6.78 0 2

DC Saejis 6.93 4 3

DC Svensson 6.84 0 0

MR Gasmi 7.08 4 9

ML Skacel 7.08 4 11

MCd Appiah 7.05 3 8

MCa Lallana 7.04 8 5

FCd BWP 7.19 23 16

FCa Kabba 7.06 6 6

I sincerely hope something happens during the summer, so that we can push for promotion next season.

Question is if I can attract some defenders that can perform under my system, or if I have to change my defensive strategy..

EDIT:

Players needed for next season:

1 DL

2 DC

1 AMR

1 MCa

I didnt sell anybody - Stupid Lowe did :(

But correct, he is gone...

Unless he decides to sell more players, the 09/10 squad would look like this:

GK Davis/Forecast

DR James/Hatch

DL McEveley/Mills

DC D.Traore/S.Barker/Svensson/Thomas

MR Thomson/????

ML Skacel/Surman

MCd Appiah/Euell

MCa D.Ambrose/Llallana

FCd C.Jerome/McGoldrick

FCa Kabba/BWP

In an attempt to avoid getting bids that Lowe would accept, I have upped the sale value to £20M for the players that is getting attention.

Im sorry, its not Lowe whos chairman longer. Cowen has taken over. A slight bit better than Lowe he is, letting me reject a bid for Appiah of £5M. But of course he took control when Stoke smashed £9.75M on the table.

I now have a transfer budget of £3.5M to find his replacement and a right winger. A bit better off now:)

Decent August for me, won 3 of my first 4 Championship games, and drawn Liverpool in the 3rd round of the League Cup :D:(

Got rid of most of the high earners, have brought in Gary Glen from Hearts, James McCarthy from Hamilton and Fran Merida got sent to me by parent club Arsenal.

Lallana and Schneiderlin have been sensational thus far.

Really looking forward to seeing how this save turns out, it's my ambition to be in the Premiership within 3 years and then from there who knows?

currently third after 10 games with just one defeat at q.p.r. was rubbish in friendlys til i made a risky sub that seems to have worked wonders for me

--------------Davis--------------

Cork---Svensson---Perry---Surman

Thompson--Schneiderlin--Llanna--Skacel

----Wright Phillips-----Dyer (Mcgoldrick - Dyer out for 2 months at the momment)

Nathan Dyer has 8 in 8 up front, has been quality for me. oh and the in game version of Rupert Lowe is still a ****, thinks i should be doing better as manager because i lost 4-2 away at Q.P.R who are top of the league.

Anybody? :(

Have a look at henri Anier, Estonian player from Flora, Estonia, i think. Hes got good potential and can do the business as well if given the chance. You can get him for about 400k maybe a little more. He usually doesn't want that much i tearms of wages aswell.

I need help fast

I am bottom of the championship with the saints

On the data editor I looked at the players who southampton have had on loan throughout the season and I got them all

I have no money and a tight wage budget

I am considering selling players but I don't know which ones to sell but I am definitley selling Stern John.

Next I need advice on which players to buy.

Since I am bottom of the championship, I need some loans,cheap buys and free transfers to avoid the drop.

Any advice on terminating loans will be helpful(remember I have got the loan players that southampton have had on loan this season)

Finally got round to posting my squad. So started on 9.2.0 (although now patched up), am in my 2nd season and with 12 games to go sitting 1st in the champ, and have knocked man u out of both the league and FA cups, although everton killed me in the league cup after man u, and guess who I have again in the FA cup :(

My squad is

GK: Alexis Thebaux (27 League games, 11 conc)

DR: Lloyd James

DL: Kelly Youga

DC: Karim Saidi

DC: Oliver Lancashire

MR: Jake Thomson/Sebastian Sorsa

ML: Andrew Surman/Lee Holmes

playing at home

MCd: Morgan Schneiderlin

MCa: Adam Lallana

playing away

MCd: Paul Wotton

MCa: Morgan Schneiderlin

STd: Amr Zaki

STa: David McGoldrick

Other players there and there abouts include:

GK: Kelvin Davis (7 League games, 10 conc)

DR: Jamie Hatch

DL: Joseph Mills

DC: Michael Svensson/Matthew Bates

MC: Biagui Kamissoko (can also play DC)/Ruben Palazuelos (can also play ML)

ST: Stern John (can't score, buts holds up well)/Steven Lennon (on loan)/Matthew Paterson

If I go up (which I should bar something going very wrong), thinking about getting a new DC and ST as a priority, along with some better backups in other postions (GK, DL, DR, MR).

Also highlighted the goal keeper thing, becasue Davis played my first 7 games, then switched keepers, and it is the best thing I've ever done.

I need help fast

I am bottom of the championship with the saints

On the data editor I looked at the players who southampton have had on loan throughout the season and I got them all

I have no money and a tight wage budget

I am considering selling players but I don't know which ones to sell but I am definitley selling Stern John.

Next I need advice on which players to buy.

Since I am bottom of the championship, I need some loans,cheap buys and free transfers to avoid the drop.

Any advice on terminating loans will be helpful(remember I have got the loan players that southampton have had on loan this season)

What patch are you playing in?

What team do you play?

What tactics?

Have a look at henri Anier, Estonian player from Flora, Estonia, i think. Hes got good potential and can do the business as well if given the chance. You can get him for about 400k maybe a little more. He usually doesn't want that much i tearms of wages aswell.

Had a look and he looked terrible, scouts didn't like him either.

I managed to bag Steven Howard from Leicester, £500k+ Saganowski. Well happy with that.

Started a new game with my beloved Saints a couple of days ago and things are not going entirely to plan.

Season 1 transfers in

Hamilton Ricard (F C), free transfer

Stefano Fiore (AM RLC), free transfer

Gary Richardson (GK), great-looking regen from Rochdale for 70k

Alexey Smertin (DM, M C), free transfer, doing a good job but getting suspended too often for my liking

Franck Grandel (GK), free transfer, 30-year-old French guy who's gone straight into first team and doing OK

Season 1 transfers out

Oliver Lancashire (D C), loan out to Millwall

Tommy Forecast (GK), loan out to Yeovil

Jason Euell (M LC), 50k to QPR

Marek Saganowski (ST), 600k to Nottm Forest

Rudi Skacel (D/AM L), 1.5m to Wolves

Bartosz Bialkowski (GK), 18k loan to Sparta Prague with option to buy for 120k

Matthew Paterson (ST), loan out to Charlton

Ryan Smith (AM L), loan out to Kidderminster

Started OK, was hanging around the playoff positions for the first couple of weeks before first Saeijs got injured for three months (was my best player and top scorer thanks to corners and the like) when I started a losing streak. I was playing this formation:

GK: Grandel

DR: James

DL: Surman

DC: Saeijs/Perry when Saeijs injured

DC: Svensson

DM: Smertin

MC: Schneiderlin (playmaker)

AMR: Fiore

AMC: Lallana

AML: Holmes

ST: Ricard

Ricard was taking his time to settle in so I was kinda relying on Saeijs for goals, after we lost four on the trot without him I decided to switch it around to:

GK: Grandel

DL: Mills

DC: Perry

DC: Svensson

MR: Fiore

ML: Surman

MC: Smertin

MC: Schneiderlin (playmaker)

ST: Lallana (free role)

ST: Ricard

Then Lallana exploded, scored 5 in 7 games and we got up to around 14th before, of course, he got injured too. Still expected to be out for a month (it's early January now). Have started to score a few goals finally thanks to Ricard and occasionally McGoldrick, who's been Lallana's substitute, but am now shipping quite a few and have dropped back to 21st. A board takeover attempt by one of the directors in November collapsed and now Rupert is getting on my back about our early exits in the cups (even though they were to Fulham and Sunderland) and our crappy league position and I have no money to spend in January.

It's a challenge, at least. I am determined to finish in the top half.

Managed to haul ourselves up out of the relegation fight to finish in a respectable 14th in season 1 thanks to Lallana's return to injury and a bargain buy of this 32-year-old Bolivian striker Miguel Angel Mercado, who scored 7 in 12 at the end of the season. Decided to aim for the playoffs in the second season, but finances made summer transfers difficult at first, until with about two weeks to go before the end of the transfer window a businessman called Charlie Boyce completed a takeover (at last, there were two attempts that broke down last season) and bumped the coffers up to about £4m balance and gave me a £2.5m transfer budget, though I'm not spending much of it this window as I've managed to bring in a few good players on frees before he showed up and my squad is looking pretty good. These are my transfers:

Transfers In (Summer 2009)

Franck Chaussidiere (D C, DM, MC) - free transfer after leaving Clermont. 31-year-old Frenchman, quite versatile, is my first choice DM but will be cover at D C if either first-choicer gets injured as I have Smertin and Gillett who can take over at DM for him

Cacapa (D C) - free transfer after leaving Newcastle. Slots straight in to left centre-half.

Nenad Dzodic (D C) - free transfer after leaving Montpellier. 31-year-old Serbian who looks the best of the centre-backs, will be the focus of my corners after Saeijs went back to Roda so should score plenty this season.

Antonio Doblas (GK) - free transfer. 28-year-old Spaniard my assman recommended, has supplanted Grandel as first-choice keeper. Looks like a fantastic bargain.

Delron Buckley (AM L, ST) - fee transfer. 31-year-old South African, signed him on loan for Everton in FM08 and was quite good so jumped at the chance when I saw him without a club. Not outstanding but pacy and better than Lee Holmes.

Gregory Bettiol (ST) - £675k from ESTAC. 23-year-old French striker, the only one I bought with the new transfer money and even then only after BWP picked up a four-month injury, but he might go straight into the first choice XI ahead of Mercado, who looks like he might be declining faster than I'd hoped. Trying to retrain him to be able to fill in as the free-role striker if god forbid anything happens to Lallana again.

Transfers Out Summer 2009

Hogan, Dunford, Doble, Imudia - all released

Tommy Forecast (GK) - £10k to Liverpool. Shocked when they came in with an offer, looks like he'll be one of many young keepers vying for the backup role to Reina.

Stern John (ST) - free to Queensland Roar. Too old and taking far too many wages.

Gregorz Rasiak (ST) - £250k to Norwich. Too slow for my liking, good price, also very expensive.

Chris Perry (D C) - end of contract, released, now with Chesterfield in League 2.

Michael Svensson (D C) - end of contract, released, yet to find a new club. Sorry to see him go as a fan but far too slow and injury prone, and also a terrible coach.

Ryan Smith (AM L) - end of contract, released, now with Kilmarnock. Had spent last year failing to impress at Kidderminster.

Kelvin Davis (GK) - end of contract, released, now with Colchester in League 1. Tempted to keep him as backup but he wanted first-team football and I was expecting to bring in Doblas anyway.

Kevin Phillips (ST) - after I bought him for £65k in January at the same time as Mercado to try and push us up the table, he was rubbish and got sent off in his fourth and final game for us. Let his contract run out and he moved to Partick Thistle.

Hamilton Ricard (F C) - getting old and only scored 6 in 26 last year despite playing OK. Now also at Colchester and scored 2 against me in preseason in a 4-4 draw.

Wayne Thomas (D C) - £10k to Bradford in League 1. Aging, expensive, and crap. Had been trying to shift him all year. Now without all my four centre-backs from season 1, hence the promotion of Lancashire to the first-team (looks pretty good) and the influx of defenders.

Matthew Paterson (ST) - season loan to Leyton Orient.

Joseph Mills (D/AM L) - season loan to Brentford, had enough players on the left side so decided to take a little off the wage bill. Close eye on him though.

Bartosz Bialkowski (GK) - moved to feeder club Bournemouth on loan, was going to be my backup GK because Bolton were bidding for Grandel but when he stayed I sent him on loan.

So my first XI looks like this:

GK: Doblas

DL: Surman (new captain)

DC: Dzodic

DC: Cacapa

DM: Chaussidiere

MC: Schneiderlin

AMR: Dyer

AML: Buckley

ST (free role): Lallana

ST: Mercado/Bettiol

Rest of first team: Grandel, Hatch, Molyneux, Lancashire, Gillett, Smertin, Wotton (vice captain), Fiore (getting slow and unfit so now deputy to Schneiderlin in the centre), Thomson, Holmes, BWP, McGoldrick

Last year Arsenal won the Premier League, just pipping Man City, and in fact got the treble by winning the League Cup and Champions League. City won the UEFA Cup. Stoke, Hull and Bolton went down. Sheff Utd won the Championship, going up with Wolves and Reading. Bankrupt Charlton went down with Doncaster and Plymouth, while Leeds, Huddersfield and Tranmere came up.

Had a great start to the new season, played four in the league so far and 2nd in the table, equal with Watford, Derby and Bolton, and just behind Hull on 10 points. First game was a great 2-2 draw away at Birmingham and we've since beaten Swansea 2-1 at home, Norwich 1-0 away and Huddersfield 2-0 at home, as well as Leyton Orient 4-1 and QPR 2-0 in the League Cup and will now host Man City in the third round (eek). With such a positive start I'm hopeful of pushing for a playoff place this season. Really enjoying this game.

I am currentley devising a 7 year plan to try and get southampton into Europe(Uefa Cup). I am in my 1st season of that plan and I look like I am going to avoid relegation.

I dont know what Targets to set myself in the next few seasons so I will need advice on that as well as buys and loans

I got Robbie Fowler on a free

When does the takeover actually take effect?

My board was taken over in October/November and I have still got a balance of minus £700kish and its always going down. Maybe I'm being impatient as it is only December but will I start to get a bit of money in January? If not January when?

When does the takeover actually take effect?

My board was taken over in October/November and I am still got a balance of minus £700kish and its always going down. Maybe I'm being impatient as it is only December but will I start to get a bit of money in January? If not January when?

If the takeover was just one of the board replacing Rupert Lowe, then you probably haven't got any extra money, just a new chairman. Gotta stay as cost-effective as you can until you can get promoted, a couple of big games on TV, or a takeover from outside. =/

---

My second season is going fantastically. With 9 games to go in the Championship here is the table:

apd3qq.jpg

Next game is away to Forest which if I win should give me a great chance of holding onto that playoff spot, though automatic promotion probably isn't going to happen.

5th is basically where I've been all season, think the lowest we were at any point was 9th around November but it's good. Gregory Bettiol, the Frenchman I signed with the first chunk of the takeover money, has been great, scored about one in two though he hasn't gotten any in the last 5. Biggest revelation was probably Jake Thomson, though, who did great covering for Nathan Dyer for about two months with injury and has since been great all across the midfield (have retrained him to AM RC, working on L), scoring a few important goals too. In January I sold a couple of the oldies, Mercado was getting worse by the day so sold him to Blackpool for £4k, and Stefano Fiore just wasn't getting a game, was too slow, too injury-prone and my parent club Arsenal sent me Merida on loan to cover for Schneiderlin anyway, so I shipped him off to Scunthorpe for the same price. I bought a couple of regens, the first a 20-year-old GK called Eric Boakye from ES Tunis, who became first choice keeper for Ghana as soon as he was generated. Assman says he's as good as my current keeper Doblas with the potential to be much better, he'll play in the first team from next season after I sell Grandel in the summer. Also bought a 17-year-old striker from Portugal called Marco Gomes, who looks pretty great - 16s in Finishing, Heading, Composure and Technique and decent all-around stats, Assman says he's as good as Bettiol, again with the potential to become a good Premiership striker in the future.

Fingers crossed for playoffs and promotion! Still losing some money each month at the moment so really hoping I can get to the cash cow of the premiership.

Started this save a couple days ago as I wanted a challenge to get a Championship side promoted with no money and not a brilliant squad.

My plan is a 8/10 year one to make Southampton into a team that is equivalent to the current Man Utd that dominates almost every competition but isn't quite unbeatable.

Year 1 - Stay up, begin to steady the ship financially

Year 2 - Mid-Table, strong cup runs and steady finances further

Year 3 - Promotion/Play-Off push, V Strong League Cup run, Decent FA Cup run, completely steady finances

Year 4 - Promotion automatically or play-offs, similar cup runs, start buying more players than loans and free transfers.

Year 5 - Stay up, similar cup runs and sign some major players with big reps.

Year 6 - Mid-Table, LC semis, FA quarters, build a side ready for Europe.

Year 7 - European place preferably through league if not hopefully through LC, FA semis, sign a world class player.

Year 8 - Challenge for 4th, UEFA semis, LC final, FA final.

Year 9 - Challenge title, UEFA final or CL semis, LC final, FA final.

Year 10 - Win league, win LC, win FA, CL final, sign a few more world class players.

so far only in Jan 09. League wise i'm doing well currently looking good for a Mid-Table finish, finance wise i'm doing quite badly, after a peak in September of +£675k now I have a balance of -£1.1M.

Sold Euell for £100k and Wotton for £130k as they didn't feature in my plans and were on high wages for back-ups. Signed Craig Beattie, Ryan France, Fran Merida , Matthew Bates and Vincent Acapandie on Loan, signing Michael Stewart of Hearts for free at end of season.

Tactic I play is a simple attacking 4-4-2.

-------GK--------

----_/\--_/\-----

------|----|------

DL--DC--DC--DR

_|---------/\---|-

-\/---------|---\/

-----MC-MC-----

------|-----------

----_\/----------

AMR----------AML

- |--------------|

_\/__________\/

-----FC--FC------

Team: (in order of selection)

GK- Bialkowski/Davis/Forecast

DL- Surman/Skacel/Molyneux

DR- Saeijs/Hatch/France

DC- Svensson©/Lipták/Saeijs

DC- Bates/Thomas/Lancashire

MC(back arrow)- Schneiderlin/France/Bates/Surman

MC(forward arrow)- Lallana/Merida/France

AMR- Thomson/Gasmi/McGoldrick/Wright-Phillips

AML- Skacel/Holmes/Gasmi

FC- Saganowski/Paterson/Acapandie

FC- Wright-Phillips/McGoldrick/Beattie

As I said before I have a mid table place, 16th after 26 games with 8 wins, 7 draws and 11 losses. Highlights so far include 5-2 win against Norwich after going behind twice, 4-1 win against Birmingham another comeback and an entertaining 3-3 draw against Bristol City, sadly I went 3-1 up after being 1-0 down. Made LC third round where a record crowd saw me thrashed 4-0 v Arsenal. FA third round saw a south coast derby v Porstmouth that I lost 4-1 at fratton park:(.

Could anyone give me a bit of advice on how to steady my finances please? My wage budget is £3k under, which I think is quite good.

VillaSmith, I'd recommend selling Skacel, as he starts as one of your highest wage earners I believe and should fetch a good price (I got £1.5m for him in the summer of 08), and you can nurture Molyneux and Mills as decent backups at both DL and AML while you've still got Surman and Holmes to run the left flank as first choices. That aside, I'm still trying to figure out a good way to keep a lid on expenditure, as I'm still losing money even after the takeover, so I'm not sure what to recommend aside selling some of the high-earners (Saganowski is another I'd recommend ditching, you've got McGoldrick, Wright-Phillips, your loanees and also Lallana who can retrain to ST really well).

Lost my game to Forest but still in 5th with 4 to play, reckon if I get 4 more points that guarantees a playoff spot.

End of january and the bad weather brought miserable results. Still managed to get 3 points with draws against Cov, Charlton and Watford, Losses also came against Swansea, Norwich and as I mentioned in an earlier post Pompey.

Signings in include; Jay Spearing - Loan, Matthew Bates - Loan, Vincent Acapandié - Loan, Fran Mérida extended his loan until January next year and Jacob Walcott for £14k.

Transfers out; Palace paid £2.7M for a double signing of Saganowski and Skacel, also Falkirk signed Lloyd James for £200k.

Slipped to 17th in the league and only 5 points off relegation.

So far on course for my expectations and my transfers out have given me a big boost in finances.

Archived