FM2009 Official Southampton Thread

Matthew Le God

Good post Jamie E! Doing very well considering our current squad. Would be nice to see a screenshot of your squad so we can see how they are all performing. I thought it would be worthwhile keeping hold of Forecast, Dyer, and John. I was tempted to sell Skacel in the full game, thinking I could get around the £2m mark for him, however you have certainly made me think twice about it.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, Matt. Getting rid of Forecast, Dyer and John was/will be of course my decision and it doesn't mean it's correct. On FM I don't have a keeper on the bench and Bart will play all of the reserve games so it renders Forecast useless. The fact that he is valued at 600k makes selling him even sweeter. Nathan Dyer didn't set the world alight during the half-season and he too has a decent value. I recognise Gasmi is only on loan but to be honest I think when my finances are in a better order I would buy another striker and put BWP on the wing with Thomson as backup. Stern John is earning 10k a week and wouldn't score as many as Paterson if they played the same amount of games in my opinion.

As requested, here's a few more screenshots:

saints1ug6.bmp

That is the squad of the players that played the majority of the games this season. Missing is Wayne Thomas, Lee Holmes and Marek Saganowski because they didn't play enough games. As you can see, some pretty good average ratings there. Skacel, BWP, Gillett and Lancashire probably being the most eye-catching.

saints2om4.bmp

Those 4 home defeats were mostly in August - September when I didn't know what I was doing. Since then it's been a great run of home form. Still haven't mastered the away tactic but I'm getting there with a 4-4-1-1 formation - see how it goes in the proper game. The 4-2-3-1 is definitely the way to go at home.

saints3nq5.bmp

...and there it is. Barring Jack Cork that is the squad that I will have from January onwards and it has shaped up well. Before December there will be no Gasmi and before January there will be no Saganowski but a few loans can cover Saga and holding off the sale of Dyer can cover Gasmi.

Yep, I will be posting about my progress in this thread. I play a network game with my mate - he's always Wolves and I'm Southampton. This is the first time I have played an FM demo so my strategy was to find out who at the club were the best players and what shape they would fit into rather than buying new players. If you want to play as Southampton I think the best thing to do is go for loans, even freebies may put too much strain on your wage budget at the beginning. There are no sugar-daddies on the horizon for Saints so you will have to make sacrifices early and try to get finances in order.

The players definitely suit the 4-2-3-1 that Poortvliet uses with the real Saints.

GKs: Kelvin Davis and Bart Bialkowski are very good goalies and I would recommend having Davis as number 1 with Bart as very capable backup. Davis was praised by the media throughout my demo stint and is probably worth his 7k a week wage. Bart is on a low wage with some potential and is worth keeping.

LBs: Andrew Surman's a good full-back and suits an attacking formation. I don't use the assistant feedback much but when I got mullered by Birmingham at St.Andrews he was suspectable to getting skinned so in the big away games perhaps he could be left out. I found Joseph Mills to be very solid and is good backup, maybe he can even play when you play a bit more defensively.

RBs: Jack Cork is on loan from Chelsea and I found him to be the best right back. When I tried to renew his loan in January, I didn't have enough funds (this is without buying or selling anyone in the whole game) so if you want him to be there till the end of the season, someone will have to go. Lloyd James is a natural right back on the game and anyone who has seen him this season knows that's not the case ;) However, he too is a good attacking full-back on a low wage and is good to have at the club. Personally, though I found he hardly won a header for 6 months. If Cork leaves, Jamie Hatch may not be good enough to step up to backup.

CBs: Michael Svensson and Oliver Lancashire were my first choice centre-backs. My home defence record was fantastic (when I finally found my best team) and these two were like rocks. Lancashire is only on 600 a week and is definitely worth a place in the first XI. Paul Wotton and Chris Perry are both on 4k a week and are fine to stay and be backup to the 2 centre positions. Aaran Racine looks like he could be one for the future. You can get a fee for Wayne Thomas and he is no better than Wotton or Perry so can leave.

CMs: Morgan Schniederlin is a must. Simon Gillett is much like real-life in he will intercept passes and dominate the midfield (my assistant agreed). The two compliment each other well and their wages don't even add up to 3k. Anthony Pulis may not be liked by Saints fans even though he has never played a game but is only on 800 a week and you won't get a fee so is worth keeping. James and Wotton both can move from defence to the midfield and cover while Jake Thomson, another youngster and a good passer of the ball, can take the Schniederlin creative role.

LW: Rudi Skacel was my top scorer and was by far my best player. You will get offers for him but try to resist and you will be rewarded. Lee Holmes was injured for most of my game but is on 4k a week and is creative backup. Tactics are important to get the best out of this position and the right wing, obviously.

AM: Adam Lallana started off badly but grew on me as the game advanced and became a regular. This was because David McGoldrick was injured and played there but Lallana took his place and McG didn't get it back. Lallana is a good passer but won't score many goals. On the other hand, McG will score goals from that position being a good "shooter". Both are on 4k and it is close between them - good competition.

RW: Romain Gasmi is injured when you start but he comes back and will perform. He has an agreed price of 800k and it's questionable whether he is worth that. Jake Thomson's best position is right wing and he will perform when in the team. Both players wages are low and they will do well.

ST: Bradley Wright-Phillips is somewhat of a hate icon on the South Coast and most will sell him but I recommend keeping him. He was top assister in the squad and chipped in with 5 goals himself having an avg rating of 7.26. Plays the lone role well. Matthew Paterson and Jamie White are both good backup on low wages. Paterson is probably the best finsher at the club and can only improve. Along with Aaran Racine at centre back, Paterson and White are worth keeping hold of for the future. In January, Marek Saganowski returns due to rejecting a contract offer from Aab so that is another 8k on the wage bill so you will have a decision to make there in January. Could be good to hold MP and JW back and have BWP and Saga battling it out for the striker role.

Sell: Tommy Forecast, Jason Euell, Stern John, Nathan Dyer, Wayne Thomas. You will get fees for Forecast, Dyer and Thomas while John and Euell both get 10k a week and neither earn it. Altogether you'll knock 20k off the wage bill and probably get about 500k in fees.

saintsyk5.th.pngthpix.gif

As you can see I did go on a pretty good run of form, especially defensively.

So that's my squad assessment and hopefully it'll help those wanting to start a Saints game even if you do ignore it.

Cheers for that mate good info there.

Anyone had any luck getting a work permit for trabelsi? i can't seem to get one even after appeallng twice. I know he's been without a club for a year but 60 odd caps!?!?!? surely he should get one!

No i never get a work permit. I usally get Stephen Carr instead.

Thanks for the reply, only asked MLG because he's did the research. Looking forward to trying to develop the likes of Thomson, Schneiderlin and Lallana. Any tips on how to best develop youth?

Well on FM08 i always used to loan them out if they were not getting in the first team. But on FM09 they should be getting in your first team i would just play them in the league cup and blend them into the championship. Also Tugs training schedlue work well for me.

Got rid of Stern, Euell, Skacel, BWP, Dyer and managed to raise 1 mill! Delighted. I've been impressed with Lallana and Thomson so far and I managed to get a lad called Spence from West Ham on loan to play CB with Killer for the rest of the season and he seems to be pretty useful. Also got Lansbury from the Arse on a season long loan who plays behind my front two. Doing pretty well so far, 7 games played, won 4, lost 1, drawn 2! Happy days! Up the Saints! LIstening to the Wolves game now on Radio Hants...COYR!

Sold Rudi Skacel (£2m), Jason Euell (£100k), Bradley Wright-Phillips (£300k), will try and offload Stern John, Chris Perry and Paul Wotton in January, which will be another £18k off the wage bill. Had to adjust the budget to make my one signing which was CB Mark Beevers from Sheffield Wednesday for £2m. He's already repaying me and playing well alongside Svensson. Brought in a few loans paying none of the wages; strikers Michael Chopra and Daryl Murphy (Sunderland), LB Insua (Liverpool), and AMC Merida (Arsenal). I extended Jack Cork's loan to the end of the season, having agreed to pay 100% of his wages.

Pre-season went ok. Have played four games so far, will update you on the results later. Still getting to grips with the tactics and am finding it very hard to get Surman and Lallana to play well.

I'm playing as the Saints as usual. I've just had my first league game, and things are, so far, looking bright. Transfer dealings were limited. Sold BWP for 250k (probably could've gotten more, but with the sell on clause, I coudn't be bothered to negotiate for a few dozen k more), and brought in Merida and Insua on loan from Arsenal and Liverpool respectively. I'm chasing a versatile (D/DM/M/AM C natural or accomplished, and everywhere apart from ST and GK with some rating) Finnish player whose name I forget that my scouts say would be a quality signing - had a 65k bid accepted and I'm waiting for him to get back to me on my contract offer.

I'm playing the obvious 4-2-3-1, and after playing around with personel in the friendlies, this is my 1st choice lineup:

GK: Davis

LB: Insua

CB: Svensson

CB: Cork

RB: James

MC(d): Schniederlin

MC(a): Merida

AML: Holmes

AMC: Lallana

AMR: Dyer

ST: Peckhart

Only one real suprise there I guess - the striker. I wasn't planning on using him much, but McGoldrick got injured during a frienldy so Peckhart got a chance, and in 3 sub appearances, he scored as many goals as McG and John combined managed in the rest of the 6 friendlies, so I've given him a chance, and he's taken it, as I'll descrbe in a minute.

My friendly opponents were the usual mix of trash (Exeter, Burton, Eastleigh) and goodish teams (Stoke, West Brom, Motherwell). Drew 2-2 with West Brom, and beat the others - all except Burton by 2-0 oddly enough. The defense looked a bit shaky, but for the most part avoided major errors, and the forwards, particularly the 3 AMs, looked very dangerous.

With that behind me I went into the season proper with less trepidation than I was expecting. The first pre-match press conference didn't go well as I confused my players by saying I thought Reading would win the division. Why this is confusing I'm not really sure, but hey, not much I could do about it. Watford were my first opponents. The odds were in my favour, but the prediction by whoever it is on the preview screen said that he thought Watford would win.

5 minutes in I get a corner - perfectly placed onto the edge of the 6 yard box, where Schniederlin heads it home. We dominate the play, and soon enough we get the second. A nice passing move ends with Lallana playing Peckhart in, and he cooly slots it past the keeper. Could've had a third when Peckhart headed a Dyer cross against the bar. Then, 2 minutes into 1st half injury time, they bundle a corner into the net. They say thats the worst time to conceed, and it seemed that way when, shortly after the restart, Svensson makes a right cockup of a clearance and Watford are level. Fortunately, 2 minutes later Dyer beat 3 players to put a perfect cross in from the right side (has he ever done the latter IRL?), and Peckhart headed his second. Went defensive and held out well for a probably deserved win, that could've been even better if Schniederlin's 94th minute 30 yarder hadn't come back off the bar.

Apart from the two centre backs, and my late subs, all the players got 6.8 or better ratings. Peckhart, Schniederlin and Lallana being the pick of the bunch.

So, as I said, it's looking bright so far :)

Im in Jan of the first season with Saints and im doing not that great, I pretty much wanted to use the first season to try and sort out the finances and try and gel a good young team to try and push for promotion next year.

Ive sold Euell (110k), Skacel(2.5 mil) and John(400k) and ****ing Lowe excepted a 1.5 mill bid for Surman in Jan so hes just left to join West Brom.I brought in quite a few players Cowie (250k from a scottish team cant remember which one) Randall and Merida both on loan from Arsenal, Zakuani (500k from Fulham), Chopra loan from Sunderland, a Turkish player called Omer Ozcelik who is a quality utility player at championship level IMO and ive just signed a replacement for Surman called Wawrzyniak so will report back on how he does but looks good for his age.

Im 14th in the middle of Jan and have found that Dyer, Schneiderlin and Lallana have been my best players with the exception of Merida who has been unbelievable.

Ill post again when u have finished the season and let you know how i have done

Oswaldo Merida was excellent for me in pre-season but didn't impress in the season, and is now out injured for a month.

Don't know what i'd do if they sold Surman without my consent, being my favourite player and all.

Can't seem to get him playing well at the moment, how did he do for you before he was sold?

he was good but not a world beater, merida has been ridiculously good for me with an average rating of 7.34. im plaing the same formation as Jan with 2 MC's with back arrows and an AMC ( Merida ) AML ( Holmes ) and AMR ( Dyer ) and a striker Saga. I dont know if i got the best out of Surman as i was playin him at LB but still 1.5 mill was no where near enuff for him. at least FM got that bit right about Lowe selling the best players for **** all money!

Beaten Barnet and Plymouth in the Carling Cup. Was drawn Derby at St Marys in the 3rd round, after what happened at pride park at couple of years ago I thought this was a mouth watering tie. Went 1-0 down and looked like I was going out of the cup without a fight untill substitute David McGoldrick popped up to equalize with only 6 minutes to go, to take the game to extra time. Derby went ahead in the 94th minute. Dominated the 2nd half of extra time but just couldn't for a goal in, on the 118th minute Derby had a player sent off for a second yellow. In the 120th minute, Joseph Mills was fouled in the box when it looked like there was no where for him to go. McGoldrick coverted the penalty with literally the last kick of the game to take it to penalties! When selecting the penalty takers I wasn't confidence as McGoldrick was the only penalty taker above 12 on the pitch. Thinking of the poetic justice I had my fingers crossed. Villa missed the 1st penalty for Derby and McGoldrick converted his. Derby scored there next 3 penalties as did Surman, Beevers, and Lallana. Derby scored there fifth penalty meaning if youngster Matthew Paterson scored he'd take us through to the next round, and he did! Was delighted really brought me back to the feelings I had when playing the older versions of the game. Next up Liverpool at home in the 4th round. I don't hold out much hope, i'm just glad I excerted revenge on Derby.

Finished first season in an average 12th place. just about to start my second season.

Players Out

Perry (Free)

Svensson (Free) was really **** for me didnt think the wages were worth it

Wotton (Leyton Orient 18k)

Wright-Phillips (Blackpool 1mil)

Rasiak (Hull 1.2mil)

Gobern (Charlton part exchange)

Hatch (Oldham 250k)

Players In

Hudson (Charlton 250k)

Shelvey (Charlton 300k and Gobern)

Cavalli (Free)

Lua-Lua (Free)

Verbeek (VVV 60k)

Rafael (Man United Loan)

Wright (Charlton 150k)

Basey (Charlton 100k)

After Charlton got relegated thought i would try and steal all their promising youngsters and Hudson. Think i will make money on all of them and hopefully make a push for the play offs this year

Well, that sucked. My save corrupted, and, no, I didn't have a backup - manually saved too often to trigger the autosave - *sigh*

Ah well, wasn't that far in, so I've started again. Sold BWP, Euell and Thomas, brought in Insua on loan again (Premiership quality on a free, no wages, loan? Oh hell yes!) and made a couple of permanent signings this time:

Djibril Diawara - A veteran defender that my Ass Man recommended (thats a great new feature btw). Despite his relatively old age, he looks better than anyone I've got, was free and wanted much less money than my other DCs. Along with Svensson, should give me a nice experienced central defense to add some steel to all the kids running around.

Radja Nainggolan - Belgian (with Indonesian 2nd nationality, hence the name) Under 21 international versatile midfielder. Scouts say he's got the potential to be a good Premiership player. Cheap to buy (130k) and on only £725 a week. Even if he doesn't reach his full potential, he'll be a useful squad member, and I'm sure I can make a profit in a few years time.

diawara01da1.th.gif nain01ye4.th.gif

Playing the same formation as before, with Diawara as DC and Cork as the MC(d). Gotten through the friendlies without a hiccup. Playing very nice football, though we did miss a lot of chances, which makes me slightly worried. Still, theres a few useful strikers available on loan if I need to bring one in.

Oh, and I picked up a couple of 15 JCA/JPA scouts. The first one wasted 2 weeks searching the Faeroe Islands for played. And guess what? He didn't find anyone. Not just noone useful, but noone at all.

I've been playing far too much FM recently! Finished my 2nd season in 9th place which i was happy with. I thought that i would have a nice quiet summer maybe bringing in one or two experienced players to help develop my youth and then push on for the playoffs in my third season.

Then Rupert Lowe turned up and accepted bids for my 3 best players of last season! Schneiderlin gone, Dyer gone and Lua Lua gone. Great. plans for next season ****ed. Add to that the fact that Lallana doesnt want to sign a contract when his expires at the end of season three. So at the beginning of the summer i was pretty pessimistic about the upcoming season.

Players Out

Schneiderlin (Bolton 5 mil)

Dyer (Blackpool! 4.5mil)

Lua-Lua (Bristol City 1.5mil)

Holmes (Millwall 100k)

Saganowski (Bristol City 450k)

Omer (28k Bradford)

Thomas (50k Crewe)

Pulis (Free)

Paterson (Cambridge 40k)

Total 11mil

So with a huge whole left in my first team with my holding midfielder right winger and striker all being sold without my say I had some serious rebuilding to do. I couldnt believe my luck when i saw Zaki was on a free transfer AND wanted to come to the mighty saints! So i snapped him up to replace Lua Lua which i thought was a great signing and hopefully with fire me into the prem. Schneiderlin in my opinion was irreplacable for a chapionship club but i felt that with Josh Wright and Patrick Cregg i had good options but i also signed Nick Montgomery for 350k from Sheff Utd for extra cover.

Players In

Eardley (Oldham 250k)

De Bock (PSV free)

Zaki (Zamalek free)

Vermeulen (Feyenoord free)

Sneijder (ADO Den Haag free)

De Weerdt (NEC free)

Montgomery (Sheff Utd 350k)

Camenzuli (Florianan 50k)

Krul (Newcastle 325K)

Total 1.2 mil

As you can see i went a bit crazy with Dutch Regens but Wotte reckons all of them are quality signings.

So over the summer ive mad 10 mil in player sales and i tihnk my squad should be good enough to challenge for promotion. Ive played two games in the league beating QPR 4-2 and drawing away with Bristol City who have just been relegated back to the championship so the future looks bright.

Just thought i'd update you on how I have been getting on. I'm in Febuary on the first season and have been playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, but have just started using 4-4-2. I've been in and out of the play off positions all season and am currently sitting 8th in the league with a game in hand and 3 points off 6th position, and 4 points off 4th position. Has been a generally good season so far and have been pleased with how my team has performed.

Cork, Schneiderlin, James, Surman, Holmes have been my best players so far, and Saganowski returned in January and has been doing well.

Hopefully I will get a play-off spot and take the mighty Saints to the Premiership this season.

I've been playing far too much FM recently! Finished my 2nd season in 9th place which i was happy with. I thought that i would have a nice quiet summer maybe bringing in one or two experienced players to help develop my youth and then push on for the playoffs in my third season.

Then Rupert Lowe turned up and accepted bids for my 3 best players of last season! Schneiderlin gone, Dyer gone and Lua Lua gone. Great. plans for next season ****ed. Add to that the fact that Lallana doesnt want to sign a contract when his expires at the end of season three. So at the beginning of the summer i was pretty pessimistic about the upcoming season.

Players Out

Schneiderlin (Bolton 5 mil)

Dyer (Blackpool! 4.5mil)

Lua-Lua (Bristol City 1.5mil)

Holmes (Millwall 100k)

Saganowski (Bristol City 450k)

Omer (28k Bradford)

Thomas (50k Crewe)

Pulis (Free)

Paterson (Cambridge 40k)

Total 11mil

So with a huge whole left in my first team with my holding midfielder right winger and striker all being sold without my say I had some serious rebuilding to do. I couldnt believe my luck when i saw Zaki was on a free transfer AND wanted to come to the mighty saints! So i snapped him up to replace Lua Lua which i thought was a great signing and hopefully with fire me into the prem. Schneiderlin in my opinion was irreplacable for a chapionship club but i felt that with Josh Wright and Patrick Cregg i had good options but i also signed Nick Montgomery for 350k from Sheff Utd for extra cover.

Players In

Eardley (Oldham 250k)

De Bock (PSV free)

Zaki (Zamalek free)

Vermeulen (Feyenoord free)

Sneijder (ADO Den Haag free)

De Weerdt (NEC free)

Montgomery (Sheff Utd 350k)

Camenzuli (Florianan 50k)

Krul (Newcastle 325K)

Total 1.2 mil

As you can see i went a bit crazy with Dutch Regens but Wotte reckons all of them are quality signings.

So over the summer ive mad 10 mil in player sales and i tihnk my squad should be good enough to challenge for promotion. Ive played two games in the league beating QPR 4-2 and drawing away with Bristol City who have just been relegated back to the championship so the future looks bright.

Zaki on a free! Good siging mate!

I'm getting off to a good start, 3 straight wins, including an opening day 3-0 hammering of Birmingham - it was pretty even first half, with me possible fortunately leading 1-0, but in the second half Lallana woke up and totally dominated the game, getting two assists, and, had my strikers been more clinical, he could've had 5 :p

I've started playing a slightly odd assymetric 4-2-3-1 that looks like this:

...............GK

DR......DC......DC......DL

.........MC......MC

AMR...AMC....AMC

...............ST

GK: Davis

DR: James

DC: Svensson/Diawara

DL: Insua

MC: Cork/Schneiderlin

AMR: Thompson

AMC: Lallana/Nainggolan

ST: McGoldrick

The two AMCs are on Free Role and they're totally tearing it up, the opposition have real problems picking up two people playing in the "hole" :D

Little unsure on James. My Ass Man keeps saying he's making mistakes, though nothing bad's come of them yet.

Scouts are still useless. I've got 4 out looking and all the've told me so far are the capital cities and population of the Faeroe Islands, Ukraine and England....

Well I made the play-offs!

3 consecutive wins against Barnsley, Charlton, and Swansea gave us some hoppe going into the end of the season. However a defeat to Cardiff made things looks bleak. With three games to go it looked like it would be a tall order to make a top 6 spot.

Next up was a home match against fellow promotion chasers Sheffield United. Chopra scored seven minutes into injury time to get us a vital three points. Next up was Blackpool, a 90th minute Daryl Murphy goal gave us a vital three points.

The last game of the season was against 7th place Birmingham City, while we sat in 6th. As long as we didn't lose we would make the play-offs. For some reason I thought the game was away and went for a risky untried formation, leaving players who are normally in my starting line up out of the squad because they didn't fit the new formation. As soon as I started the match I realized I was at home, leaving me very worried about my formation. After withstanding heavy pressure loanee Merida scored on the fourty-fifth minute giving us an undeserved lead going into half time, so I decided to keep the same formation. Birmingham dominated again after half time and quickly took the lead though McFadden, if it ended a draw I would stay in the play-offs. McFadden scored a penalty in the 70th minute, at this point I was out of the play offs. I quickly changed the formation round and hoped that there was enough time left to make a difference. Schneiderlin scored a great goal in the 76th minute to make it 2-2. We then held on and secured our place in play offs. As other results went our way we ended up 4th in the league which meant we will be playing Sheffield United in the play-offs rather than QPR (who it would have been if we finished 6th) as they beat us 3-0 and 5-0.

On another nite Morgan Schneiderlin has made remarkable progress and has been touted by the media as the next Platini. He has attracted interest from numerous clubs including PSG, Nantes, Tottenham, Everton, and Portsmouth.

Just been promoted, which I thought was a great achievment considering the squad, lack of funds, and all the board wanted was consolidation.

So was reasonably optimistic of the players I could bring in to cement out Premiership status. Only for Lowe to offer me a trasnfer budget of £2m and a pathetic wage budget (only get an extra £2m if I convert it all to transfer). Have tried requests for an increase in either budget, tried an ultimatum to see what would happen and was sacked (saved the game before hand though.

But what a joke this is, absolutely no way I can compete in the league. Just look at the money Stoke, West Brom, Hull have spent this year and I have been giving two f*cking million, is this some sort of joke? Our finances aren't even bad in the game I HATE LOWE

Thanks, to be honest I feel I got alot of wins earlier on in the season when the side wasn't playing too well which could quite easily tuned out to be draws or defeats.

So far I have signed Luigi Bruins (£2.5m), Wijnaldum (£1.6m), Matt Kilgallon £600k - Sheffield United went bankcrupt, and he was their best player last season and better than any of my centre backs. And Ryan Taylor, Daniel Sturridge on frees.

Tried to buy Joe Mattock but Wigan, who were relegated, offered him £31k p/w which is just crazy and was six times what he asked for and how much I would have been able to offer. No real money left now and was unable to get any of last season's loanees back on loan.

It's going to be really tough this season, a huge challenge as I know I am by far the worst team in the division. Hopefully the board might help me out a little in January, only time will tell.

Archived