This Saint Gonna Be Easy: Ch. V - Endgame

Fer Fuchs Ake

I had that 8 points from 5 games thing in Greece.

I got the 8 points. Exactly 8, not one more. Saved my arse. Then just a couple matches later I got relegated and sacked. :D

Hope you do a little better than that. :D

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, El Payaso said:

Good luck with that. 8 points from 5 is not too bad I guess? Your run looks a lot like mine with Swansea, though I am unable to score two goals in one match so far. 

Cheers. It's not too bad but with the way we're defending, I can't see us doing it. If we can just get our **** together in time, we'll have some hope.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

I think it's a thing in FM where the boards pay more attention to league position than points haul.

I mean right there, in 16th, you're 11 points from 18th, but equally 11 points from 4th, and certainly closer to a top half finish than relegation.

Exactly. We're fairly close to the top half. I think it's premature to be threatening my job. I would say that though.

46 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I had that 8 points from 5 games thing in Greece.

I got the 8 points. Exactly 8, not one more. Saved my arse. Then just a couple matches later I got relegated and sacked. :D

Hope you do a little better than that. :D

Hopefully :lol:

Evening has crept up on Berlin like a thief at night, but AdoCorp is still hard at work - all for your benefit. Is it January already? Who cares? Join us at AdoCorp News, the Only True News Channel, with our delightful volunteer hosts Danny and Dave!

The camera swerves around and settles on a pair of moderately handsome men in their forties; they're just handsome enough for TV, but not too handsome as to be distracting. The perfect news anchors. Behind them at the edge of the screen looms the butt of an M416 Assault Rifle. Someone curses in the background, and the camera is hastily adjusted. Danny flashes a forced smile and begins to read from his teleprompter.

Danny: Quite the storm brewing on social media tonight, as this afternoon a twitter war broke between Southampton's controversial new manager Michael King and select members of the struggling club's board.

There is a pause as the teleprompter stops feeding new lines to the anchor. Someone bangs it on the side with the butt of a rifle and it lights up again. 

Dave: Y-yes indeed! Following the new manager's failure to bring Southampton to the success he promised has left the fans a bit n-nervous, it seems! 

Danny: Quite so, Dave. The plot thickens. What's next for the board? Hiring hitmen? Bribing FIFA? Telling the presses about the mysterious King's deepest, darkest sec-- 

The visual feed cuts off. A muffled, agitated conversation begins in the background.

Finally, a new man in a suit enters the shot. The microphone crackles as he adjusts it to fit his height.

And that will be all from the AdoCorp news team this time around. Join us again tomorrow - at your Only True News Channel.

Edited by Adonalsium

9 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Evening has crept up on Berlin like a thief at night, but AdoCorp is still hard at work - all for your benefit. Is it January already? Who cares? Join us at AdoCorp News, the Only True News Channel, with our delightful volunteer hosts Danny and Dave!

The camera swerves around and settles on a pair of moderately handsome men in their forties; they're just handsome enough for TV, but not too handsome as to be distracting. The perfect news anchors. Behind them at the edge of the screen looms the butt of an M416 Assault Rifle. Someone curses in the background, and the camera is hastily adjusted. Danny flashes a forced smile and begins to read from his teleprompter.

Danny: Quite the storm brewing on social media tonight, as this afternoon a twitter war broke between Southampton's controversial new manager Michael King and select members of the struggling club's board.

There is a pause as the teleprompter stops feeding new lines to the anchor. Someone bangs it on the side with the butt of a rifle and it lights up again. 

Dave: Y-yes indeed! Following the new manager's failure to bring Southampton to the success he promised has left the fans a bit n-nervous, it seems! 

Danny: Quite so, Dave. The plot thickens. what's next for the board? Hiring hitmen? Bribing FIFA? Telling the presses about the mysterious King's deepest, darkest sec-- 

The visual feed cuts off. A muffled, agitated conversation begins in the background.

Finally, a new man in a suit enters the shot. The microphone crackles as he adjusts it to fit his height.

And that will be all from the AdoCorp news team this time around. Join us again tomorrow - at your Only True News Channel.

:applause:

Quality. I love seeing stuff like this.

Seems Michael King just can't stay away from controversy. As for Krueger, I wouldn't put hitmen or bribery past him if it got rid of King...

8th of February, 2020

The Boardroom

Michael sat before Gao Jisheng and Ralph Krueger as he had in his first season when his job was being threatened and when he signed a new contract. It felt so much smaller now. So claustrophobic. The three men all had different looks on their faces. Gao looked anxious, Ralph looked delighted and Michael looked sombre. Gao cleared his throat and looked up at Michael. He broke the silence, speaking softly.

"Well Michael, you know why you're here. We gave you a points target. You failed to meet that target. The club is well below where it's meant to be in the table. I liked you Michael. You played decent football. It certainly sold tickets. You made exciting signings and you were well liked by the players. You adhered to club philosophies and balanced the books admirably. You were a great ambassador for Southampton. However, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, I have no choice but to terminate your contract at the club. It's nothing personal as I'm sure you'll understand."

Michael felt numb. Like he had been told a pet had died. He thought back to when he first joined and had blackmailed Krueger into getting the job. How he didn't expect to last past the first season. How he had just done it for the fame and fortunes that would come with it. But he had grown into the role. By the start of the second season, he loved his job. He was only OK at it but that was better than he thought he'd be. He loved everything that came with the job, the training sessions, the signings, the match days. By the start of the third season,he couldn't imagine himself leaving. But here he was. Sacked.

"Yeah, um... I understand. Thanks for your time, Gao."

He ignored Ralph and his ****-eating grin.

Gao smiled sadly and shook Michael's hand. "It's been a pleasure having you here, Michael. I'll send you your severance package by next week. In the meantime, I'll prepare an official statement and forward it to you for your approval. Once we have that fully agreed upon, it'll be posted on the club's official website. I have the players gathered upstairs. You can say your goodbyes before you leave."

"Cheers, Gao"

Gao left and it was just Michael King and Ralph Krueger for what would be the final time.

"Well, well, well. Looks like your only ally on this board has finally gotten sick of you. You thought you had everyone fooled after that second season. You had everyone thinking you were some kind of underestimated genius. Someone who'd take the club forward after years of mediocrity. You never fooled me. I always knew you'd fail. And here you are, floundering after your first good season. It all got to your head. You thought you were invincible. Instead, you've just been fired a few months later. And you can't blame me for that. You said that you'd release everything you had on me if I fired you but I didn't. Gao did.", said Ralph with a triumphant grin. 

Michael knew he had lost. It was endgame, he'd been fired. And if he was to release everything he had on Krueger, it would certainly destroy Krueger. But crucially, it would destroy any chance he'd have of being employed again. No club would employ a whistle-blower who exposes his former employer as soon as he's fired. They wouldn't take the chance. But Ralph didn't need to know that.

"so?", said Michael, "It's not as if I signed a contract saying it had to be you that fired me. I've nothing to lose now that I've lost my job here. And you've always been a bit of a ****. I think I might release it all now that I know it's over for me."

Ralph's grin disappeared faster than Michael's job security had. He turned a shade whiter. "You wouldn't!", he hissed, "I'd have you blacklisted from every club there is. You could forget about even getting employed in the 4th tier of Estonian football if you did that. You don't know the kind of connections I have."

"Who says I'll be going into management? I could just get a job as an academy coach. Or something outside of football altogether. I'd be fine as long as I wasn't going into management. As for you, it'd be over. You'd be sacked quicker than I was. And it wouldn't end there. You'd have to flee the country. Your family wouldn't take a kind view of what you did either. I've absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.", Michael said.

Of course, he did have something to lose. As said before, if he wanted any chance of being employed again as a manager he couldn't release any of what he had on Krueger. And he wouldn't. He just wanted to shut Ralph up. Ralph looked how Michael felt - defeated. He sank back into his chair, pondering what Michael had just said. Despite his sadness at being sacked, Michael felt a certain satisfaction. he hadn't won against Ralph but he made sure he hadn't lost either. He closed the door on Ralph who didn't even notice in his nerve-wracked state.

Michael couldn't believe it would be that last time he'd talk to these players. He had some great friends in that dressing room. Dolberg, JWP, Bertrand and Lemina to name a few. Michael hoped that if he was able to find another club that the players would even have half the camaraderie that his current - no, former - players had. And with a lump in his throat which he hadn't expected to be there, he walked up the stairs to address his players for the final time.

Sacked.thumb.png.a7d8c0dd6d352590c0fc457e806a71e4.png

Sorry to see your Southampton journey end, mate. At least Krueger has been told to properly **** off though :D.

Will this be the end of the save or will Michael continue on somewhere else?

3 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

Will this be the end of the save or will Michael continue on somewhere else?

That is the question I was about to ask! Whether or not people wanted to see more of Michael King. :lol: My preference would be to continue on with this save and see where Michael King ends up next. 

2 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

That is the question I was about to ask! Whether or not people wanted to see more of Michael King. :lol: My preference would be to continue on with this save and see where Michael King ends up next. 

I'd absolutely want to see more of King, this one's been real fun to follow. You will have to change the thread title though...

10 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

I'd absolutely want to see more of King, this one's been real fun to follow. You will have to change the thread title though...

Cheers. I almost certainly will be continuing on as I'm really enjoying this save. No idea where King would end up next or how long it'll take to find a job. Thankfully, my manager reputation hasn't dropped following the sacking which will make it easier in the job hunt.

• Fer Fuchs Ake changed the title to This Saint Gonna Be Easy: And It Wasn't
23 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Don't you dare stop, this is excellent!

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Don't you dare stop, this is excellent!

Cheers. I'm having a lot of fun with this save so far so I won't.

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'm hoping you end up at Swansea.

Nostalgia trip back to the first ever club I managed on FM. There would be something nice about it.

1 minute ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Nostalgia trip back to the first ever club I managed on FM. There would be something nice about it.

I was thinking about the trouble when the Welsh FA needed your players. :D

3 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Absolutely gutting to see you get sacked, but that's where the opportunity arises...

We all thought this was a story about overcoming adversity...but it's actually a revenge story.

giphy.gif

I guess it's both at this stage. If I got a job in the PL, it would be a great revenge story.

Quality gif by the way. :lol:

9 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Unlucky end but please do continue with the save. I would like an EPL revenge, but do what makes you happy.

I'd like to see it too but I'd take any job as long as I thought the club was decent enough. I certainly will continue.

7 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

Go to Portsmouth and plot the ultimate revenge story

giphy.gif.7c4a83e7b272ad84bd40888cb93a05d2.gif

Guest El Payaso

Swansea definitely. Of course it depends on the roster but I would say that in the beginning it's an interesting one for sure and an attempt to bring in the way that they used to play under Rodgers and Laudrup is interesting challenge. 

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Swansea definitely. Of course it depends on the roster but I would say that in the beginning it's an interesting one for sure and an attempt to bring in the way that they used to play under Rodgers and Laudrup is interesting challenge. 

Well, I will definitely go for it if it becomes available. However, I don't think it'll happen for a while. They've just been promoted under Mick McCarthy so his job security is quite good.

On 06/01/2018 at 22:10, ManUtd1 said:

Absolutely gutting to see you get sacked, but that's where the opportunity arises...

We all thought this was a story about overcoming adversity...but it's actually a revenge story.

giphy.gif

Or any other kind of story, provided it has Nicolas Cage. To be fair, most stories do.

wvfKYEw.jpg

16 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

Whats the situation at Portsmouth? Or hell, even Bournemouth, these 2 are the biggest clubs near Southampton

Portsmouth have hit mid-table mediocrity in League 1. They got promoted from League 2 in the first season and since then have finished 17th, 7th and 14th. Bournemouth are still led by Howe and have finished 9th, 17th, 11th and 7th since this save started. 

January 2021

Michael was beginning to grow weary of the job hunt. It had been 11 months since his um ... departure ... from Southampton. He was still unemployed. The quest to find a new job was beginning to remind him of his teenage years - a lot of rejection. He'd been knocked back twice by Inter, turned down by Porto and Sporting Lisbon while Napoli didn't even bother to interview him. The only clubs interested were Watford, Brighton, Ipswich and Real Sociedad. Basically, the only ones that wanted him were ones he wouldn't go near with a barge pole. Christ, it really was like his teenage years. 

He'd interviewed at two clubs recently. Both were impressed. Both asked for proposed backroom staff changes. One had offered a contract and he was waiting on the other - his preferred choice - to offer one as well. The first club was Celta Vigo. They were a tempting option, a Spanish club with some quality players. But the other club was where he'd like to go. But until they contacted him, he was just going to have to twiddle his thumbs and wait anxiously beside his phone for confirmation or rejection.

3 hours later.

Michael was sitting in front of the television with his feet up watching reruns of ‘Only Fools and Horses’. On a small antique radio which his late father had bequeathed to him, The Clash's ‘London Calling’ played softly. Michael's phone rang and he jumped to answer it. 

“Hello?”

“Hello Michael.” It was the chairman of his prospective club.

“It's great to hear from you. I hope you're here to give me some good news.”

There's a soft but warm chuckle on the other end. “We certainly are, Michael. We would like to offer you the job as manager of our club. If you accept, you will have to be down at the stadium at 1 o'clock sharp to sign the contract and do all that PR bull****.”

Michael was beginning to like the lad already. “I'd be honoured to accept your offer, Mr Chairman. I'll be down there tomorrow.”

The voice laughed warmly again. “There's no need for that ‘Mr. Chairman’ stuff. Just first names will do. I'm delighted you've accepted our offer. We look forward to working with you.”

”Same to you Mr Chairm- I mean Sir. No, wait um ... You too.”

*Click*

Both parties hung up and Michael punched the air in celebration. He was back in management.

Chapter II: I Will Save West Ham, Big Sam I Am

image.png.cde767324c0dab9623efe24aa2b3467f.png

5a53e8c6ad2d7_NewJob.thumb.png.daed0fb1659ddc747f66b6ad126295f6.png

West Ham are struggling and in danger of relegation. They're only 8 clear of the drop and are looking to Michael King to keep them in the Premier League. He'll face a baptism of fire as they square off against Arsenal on his debut. Financially, West Ham are around the same level as Southampton.

You might remember that Orlando Trustfull joined West Ham after leaving King's Southampton. However, there will be no reunion as he left the post in 2020 and is currently unemployed with no interest in joining.

Position.thumb.png.221392da62cfa3fb46010cbc73288a50.png

Southampton, by the way, finished 15th under their new manager when he tried to recover from my dodgy start. He was blighted by the same inconsistencies as I was and they never got going properly. They started this season awfully with 0 wins from their relatively easy opening 7 matches. They have since recovered ground thanks to a strike partnership of Dolberg and Moise Kean kicking into form. Scary to come up against.

I will have just two days to get some sort of tactic together before an away trip to Arsenal. It's not likely to be a great debut.

Can Michael King overcome the inconsistency that marked his Southampton career?

Can he become a Big Sam figure for the club, keeping them safe and guiding them up the table?

Can he turn them into a force to be reckoned with over the coming seasons or will he be facing the sack like with the Saints?

We shall see in Chapter II of 'This Saint Gonna Be Easy'.

"I Will Save West Ham, Big Sam I Am."

• Fer Fuchs Ake changed the title to This Saint Gonna Be Easy: Ch. II - I Will Save West Ham, Big Sam I Am

You're not really in danger of relegation, you're closer to an Europa League place, 7 points behind Arsenal!

Think that's a nice comfy job to re-build your reputation as a manager, get a couple of wins and watch your team climb lots of places in the table.

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

You're not really in danger of relegation, you're closer to an Europa League place, 7 points behind Arsenal!

That's true too. A couple of good results and we'll shoot up the table. Problem is there's feck all squad depth and not much for me to spend in what's left of January. It could swing either way.

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

Think that's a nice comfy job to re-build your reputation as a manager, get a couple of wins and watch your team climb lots of places in the table.

Hopefully yeah. I'd like if this became what Southampton was meant to be - a project where I take them out of mid-table mediocrity. 

One thing I will say (and this isn't me getting excuses in early :lol:) is that the current squad is certainly worse than what I had at Southampton. There's pretty much no young talent either. The squad is too good to get relegated I think but I can't see us making an assault on Europe just yet. 

Guest El Payaso

What kind of team you have in disposal? In the beginning the West Ham team seems to be a really strong one but sadly on my save Moyes is struggling with them. Chicharito, Arnautovic etc. still there?

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

What kind of team you have in disposal? In the beginning the West Ham team seems to be a really strong one but sadly on my save Moyes is struggling with them. Chicharito, Arnautovic etc. still there?

Goalkeepers:

Robin Olsen and Yoan Cardinale. Both are only alright. Good enough for the Pl but only for mid-table sides.

Defenders:

Fairly good. Cresswell and Adjapong are quality full backs while Veltman, Ogbonna, Reid and Oxford are decent in central defense. Jenkinson is a decent backup full back.

Central Mid/CAM:

Awful. Very little depth and those that are there aren't great. Lanzini's here which will help. Lerma and Obiang are the only other good choices and they're only alright. 

Wingers:

Fairly good. Ayew, Arnautovic, Sinclair and Antonio are still around. They're all good options though Ayew is currently injured for two weeks.

Strikers:

Pretty poor. Hernandez is still here at least but he's no strength as he's 32. Still a great poacher though. Ingvartsen, Maximiliano Gomez and Nicolai Jorgensen are the backups. They're pretty poor.

Overall, it's not terrible but it's certainly not great. Rebuilding is needed.

Edited by Fer Fuchs Ake