FM17: Into the Wild

Rikulec

From the author of:

FM16: The Frozen Throne

21wild-600.jpg

FM17: Into the Wild

Welcome back. After a faulty start to my FM17 adventures and ending the previous thread after the first season, I promised you a new one. I admit, it did take longer than expected as I've been toying with a couple of ideas. I've finally come to a decision - this save is going to start in the best place for football and, especially, for Football Manager.

The Aim

The top, obviously, but this time starting either in the 6th tier in England or the 4th tier in Scotland after a couple of months of simulation. Similarly to the previous attempt, I will only apply for jobs initially. Once I've found a club to start at, I can only switch clubs when approached.

The Manager

Om8sdkO.png

An older version of myself, though I like to think I'm a bit more knowledgable about football than this guy here.

The Save

4J16bBs.png

50 leagues from 38 countries should be more than enough.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ajtltNO.png

It only took them three days to come back. God, they must be desperate.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - New Club - FC United of Manchester

W2as4pM.png

The journey starts here. To be honest, I'm not really sure what to expect. The squad looks good enough to secure our survival in the league at the very least.

Club Name: FC United of Manchester
Nickname: Red Rebels
Year Founded: 2005
Stadium: Broadhurst Park (4,238 capacity, 510 seated)

jTrFUYT.png

The club's history is not very long, but it sure is interesting. That's a lot of added value for every save, and I feel that I'm really going to enjoy this, even though I'm far from being a Manchester United fan.

lcKqDrB.png

I only have two hours between signing the contract and my first league game, so I better get right to it!

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - November 2016 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

3NHxn40.png

PfMziC3.png

It should have been six points from two games really. Upon my arrival I noticed we had pretty much no one able to play on either wing, so I decided to go with a possession-based 4-1-3-2. Ambitious for this level, but the early signs are good. We dominated both games, but fell to some silly goals against Stalybridge despite getting the lead twice. This allows us to escape the drop zone, but only thanks to superior goal difference.

FA Trophy

fumi90E.png

Once again, we could have got this done on first attempt, but it simply wasn't to be. Our strike partnership continued to shine, but I'd also like other players to contribute to our goal tally.

In the First Round we've drawn Lincoln away. We're doomed.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - December 2016 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

dmBfkfg.png

iIOhkV4.png

We score in every game, but we also concede in every game. Our central defenders are not really up to the league standard (and that probably tells you how poor they are), and we also have massive trouble defending set pieces. Something has to be done about that.

FA Trophy

1rIQcbf.png

Surprise surprise. We parked the bus and simply waited for our chance, which eventually came. With better accuracy the result could have been much more impressive.

Next up, Eastbourne Boro at home.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - January 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

Jk9KO1f.png

Jqf9nc1.png

Yes, it was as busy and narrow as it looks. Only Harrogate really outplayed us, this I will admit. We conceded late goals both against AFC Fylde (where we were lucky not to lose anyway) and Altrincham away (where we should have scored more). All in all, our game is improving every week, if we can continue that trend, we should have little trouble staying up. That's the only aim for this season.

FA Trophy

YQF2nVb.png

**** off. We really should have got through after the home game, but our horrenous defending proved costly and we needed a late own goal to escape with a draw. The replay was not so good, and a poor save attempt to a long range free kick cost us the place in the next round.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - February 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

SO5HVCU.png

ySnMWqQ.png

A cracking month sees us rise one place in the table. Much more importantly, we've extended our advantage over the dreaded places to 8 points. We're still not safe, but it was a massive step in the right direction.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - March 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

MK0aqMO.png

KU4XbwI.png

Horribly frustrating. Our two main problems are striking - conceding late goals (both Tamworth and Halifax scored after the 85 minutes mark) and scoring only through strikers and nobody else (we don't create enough chances for other players). With six games left, I'll just carry on until the end of the season. After that, we'll see.

Youth Intake

iSLwzPP.png

Is it too soon to be asking for a decent one?

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - April 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

hmM1CQ7.png

LILbXvJ.png

An amazing month to tick the season off, featuring extending a helping hand to Nuneaton in their spectacular last minute survival surge. Our defence has been remarkably solid and the front men didn't disappoint in these extraordinary circumstances. Admittedly we did play weaker opposition than last month... but who cares? Points are points.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - Season Review - 2016/17 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

Results (Aug-Jan) - Results (Feb-Apr) (red line marks my arrival)

Competition Performance: 14th

Taking into account the disastrous start that led to the previous manager's departure, I have to be happy with the season. Since I took over we grabbed 37 points from 25 league games - not bad, taking into account the quality of our central defensive players (or lack thereof). I'm happy to have turned our difference around and end with a positive one.

FA Cup

Competition Performance: Fourth Qualifying Round

I came too late for that.

FA Trophy

Competition Performance: Second Round

Apart from the Lincoln game we didn't seem determined enough to get far here. I'd fancy us doing better next season.

Squad

We have a few players of good quality, but there are also areas where we need to strenghten over the summer, particularly centre back and defensive midfielder.

Transfers (red lines mark my arrival) - Finances

The only transfer I took part in was Matty Wolfenden's departure. Nothing to talk about really.

The average attendance of over 3,000 makes FC United a truly exceptional club at this level, and this is reflected by the finances. We're easily capable of making profit every season. Some of this money might be invested into our facilities in the near future.

Player of the Season

1st - Chris Chantler - our tactic is a very demanding one for wide defenders. Luckily, the best player in our side this season was a left back. Chantler played a vital part in our game, scoring once himself and setting up ten more goals. On the flip side, he's not interesting in extending his deal. Shame.

2nd - Jason Gilchrist - of course, our top goalscorer also had to make this list. He has his droughts, but when he's on form, he bangs them in pretty much every week. A clinical finisher when needed, and the ball always seems to find him in the box.

3rd - George Thomson - the guy who dictated tempo and brought the much needed creative spark into our midfield. His league stats may not be very impressive, but his vision helped create many attacking moves that led to goalscoring opportunities. A key player.

Next Season

Everything depends on the quality of players I can bring in during the transfer window. With the right additions a promotion challenge is certainly a possibility.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - Season Preview - 2017/18 - FC United of Manchester

Board Expectations:

National League North: Top half finish
FA Cup: Fourth Qualifying Round
FA Trophy: First Round

My Expectations:

National League North: Top half finish is a minimum. I'll be satisfied with a play-off spot.
FA Cup: Get as far as possible, make as much money as possible.
FA Trophy: I'm not too fussed about that.

Budgets:

Transfer: £0
Wage: £6,929 (currently spending £6,072)
Balance: £103,428

29 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Rebels everywhere.............

Good Defenders are hard to come by in the lower levels......either Big and dumb or Short and can't jump or head the ball! which makes for terrible set piece defending or high line hijinks.........

Oh yeah, it was a struggle until I finally managed to find someone half decent... or someone who seems half decent. We'll see what comes out of that.

10 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Ouch! It's never too soon. :herman:

I guess there are a few more reputable teams in our area that talented youth would more likely go to. :D

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - Pre-Season - 2017/18 - FC United of Manchester

Friendlies

6ZIkZLg.png

Managed by my assistant Brede Hangeland, the lads managed a surprise win against TNS.

Transfers

jnIFbHy.png

Five incomings, including three defenders. I'd have loved to keep Chantler, but he wouldn't even talk to us.

Dan Preston - not bad, I guess. He probably falls into the big category, hopefully he won't have too much trouble on the ground.

Japhet Mata - if the local big boys can have Mata, why can't we? Japhet brings in bags of potential and an interesting option up front. We could possibly also play him at left back if I get really desperate.

James Haran - could this be the most intelligent player down at this level? We'll see, as he has just become our first choice right back.

Michael Potts - a backup option to boost our numbers in midfield. I like his mentals.

Jayce Olivero - we got an international player, for real! Jayce has five Gibraltar appearances at the age of 19 and he could actually do well replacing Chantler. I have very, very high hopes for this guy.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - August 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

2TWVi9j.png

MAE8gxU.png

Considering it's still very early days, I'd say we're in a good position. Of course we're frustratingly incosistent, but I believe it will always be a thing at this level unless we somehow build a team vastly superior to others. We could and should have done better at home to Chorley and probably shouldn't have given away a penalty against North Ferriby, but apart from that it's pretty much fine. The problem is our defensive improvements didn't really improve much. Perhaps they need more time to gel. I don't believe Nuneaton are going to run away, they are bound to fall apart at some point. The fight is on.

In other news, Gibraltar held Estonia to a 0:0 draw in the WC qualifiers. Olivero played 90 minutes and got a 6.9 rating.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - September 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

skaZuVU.png

cc7VGx0.png

Things started off rather slow, but then we got better and better... until we got absolutely out of control. The Altrincham result is a freak one, and a new league record at the same time. We were immense in that game, unstoppable. Another highlight of September is definitely the performance of Sam Sheridan, who went all Frank Lampard this month, rounding it off with a sensational 30-yard free kick in the 7:0 victory. We're top now, but there's just three points separating us from 9th. Tight, tight, tight!

FA Cup

wIOeXgX.png

Whoops. The media will certainly haunt me with this for years to come. Tom Eckersley's mistakes cost us two goals in the first half, and we just couldn't give a sufficient response after the break. A match to forget.

1 hour ago, Adonalsium said:

YES! Rikulec is back. Author of my favourite journeyman save and a funny guy.

I will be following this keenly!

Good to see you again. :thup:

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

Whoa...what a strike!

53 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

Yeah, and that free kick. It was as if you could draw a straight line into the upper corner of the net and the ball would follow that exactly.

I literally jumped out of my chair when that went in. These don't happen very often!

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - October 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

jXMdxSX.png

kviD3CH.png

An unbeaten month solidifies our position at the top and also extends the league unbeaten run to eleven games. Still far from Chester's record of thirty in 2012/13, but that's a long shot. For now, we're playing well and delivering results where necessary. The only worrying thing remains the lack of output from players other than strikers (only George Thomson managed a single goal).

Transfers

Surprise departures of two rotation centre backs created a demand for defensive players. I think you'll agree it was to our benefit.

Kevin Burgess - the first of the three new players, and by far the least spectacular one. He won't be getting much game time, but we need him for the sake of numbers.

Akil Wright - that's better. He's young, he's versatile, and he's exactly the type of player we had been missing in the DM strata. Well, we don't anymore.

Adam Curry - why he attracted no interest from sides bigger than us is a huge mystery to me. We capture a fantastic centre back for just £250 p/w. I couldn't be more excited about him.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - November 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

x7NDXsG.png

jVfWxjh.png

Thirteen games unbeaten, three points clear at the top, eleven points separating us from 6th placed Kidderminster, and a wonderful birthday gift from Michael Potts in the game against their outfit.

FA Trophy

4TZ76su.png

We had a brief scare when they pulled one back around the 75th minute, but we also had Jason Gilchrist.

Grantham away up next.

9 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

How do you even. Lower league management eludes me. It seems that you've once again managed to get the squad in order and on a winning streak.

Thanks. I wouldn't get excited too quickly as it's still relatively early and a lot of bad things could happen, but yes, I'm happy with the squad, especially after the October additions. We seem to be on the right track.

17 hours ago, Rikulec said:

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - October 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

jXMdxSX.png

kviD3CH.png

An unbeaten month solidifies our position at the top and also extends the league unbeaten run to eleven games. Still far from Chester's record of thirty in 2012/13, but that's a long shot. For now, we're playing well and delivering results where necessary. The only worrying thing remains the lack of output from players other than strikers (only George Thomson managed a single goal).

Transfers

Surprise departures of two rotation centre backs created a demand for defensive players. I think you'll agree it was to our benefit.

Kevin Burgess - the first of the three new players, and by far the least spectacular one. He won't be getting much game time, but we need him for the sake of numbers.

Akil Wright - that's better. He's young, he's versatile, and he's exactly the type of player we had been missing in the DM strata. Well, we don't anymore.

Adam Curry - why he attracted no interest from sides bigger than us is a huge mystery to me. We capture a fantastic centre back for just £250 p/w. I couldn't be more excited about him.

Both Burgess and Curry will be good additions........a little worried about Wright's and Curry's Determination............could become a problem if you start losing...........

What Formation are you using? and What roles and shouts to get such good results?

I like knowing what other players are doing to improve my saves.

I've been playing with 4-2-3-1 wide in my saves and seem to be doing alright.........won Vanarama with York City and then a Surprise Promotion!

I think success is determined by getting the roles right and getting suitable players

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Both Burgess and Curry will be good additions........a little worried about Wright's and Curry's Determination............could become a problem if you start losing...........

What Formation are you using? and What roles and shouts to get such good results?

I like knowing what other players are doing to improve my saves.

I've been playing with 4-2-3-1 wide in my saves and seem to be doing alright.........won Vanarama with York City and then a Surprise Promotion!

I think success is determined by getting the roles right and getting suitable players

I can't really see Curry's determination being a problem, but yes, there is some slight concern with Wright. Everything's working fine now though.

I believe I said in one post that I use a narrow 4-1-3-2. I started off with Counter strategy and a rigid shape, but now I'm using Control from time to time as well. The only shouts I use are Pass Into Space and Be More Expressive, with an occasional switch to possession stats if I want to be more defensive and kill a game off. The roles are fairly basic as well, with a WB(A) on the left side and a WB(S) on the right side of the defensive block, a DM(D) in front of them, a midfield trio of a CM(S), a DLP(S) and a CM(A), and a classic DLF-AF duo up front. I like simple tactics, especially at this level where I don't believe my players would be able to perform some complicated system. Maybe a time will come to use something more ambitious. Or maybe it won't.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - December 2017 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

EimTf5w.png

gKT9wEq.png

The results keep coming. The performances... not so much. We were toothless in both our home games this month, and the away wins were actually quite nervy - Solihull Moors definitely were the better team and Telford didn't deserve a 3:0 defeat at all. We have to step up if we want to keep Gloucester safely away from us. They even briefly held the top spot before losing to Kettering in game 25. It has become a two horse race. Who will blink first?

FA Trophy

RV6d8nO.png

Not a good season in the cups. Not a good one at all.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - January 2018 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

Y82cDvp.png

Qrb0Faa.png

An absolutely huge month for a number of reasons. First of all, we started it with a vital win against our main rival. Second, we got through the last fixture congestion unharmed - from now on we will be only playing weekly. Third, we only conceded one goal and that was a penalty against North Ferriby. And finally, the league is ours to lose now. We're strong. We have the quality. We just need to keep things on track.

sFoyRGf.png

5jzP8Up.png

The interesting thing is that my reputation seems to be skyrocketing, now at 25%. Each time a job in the National League opens up, my profile shows interest from the club. It even says Ruch Chorzów from the Polish top flight is interested at the moment. That said, I'm still yet to receive an interview offer.

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - February 2018 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

cd0Ur42.png

48Qjh4O.png

We lost a game. In all honesty though, we had it coming. We had some lucky wins before, now it came back to bite us in the arse. Eight games left, we have a seven point advantage. Don't let it slip, pretty please.

Youth Intake

x23dUUx.png

Two potentially interesting players. I like the look of Warnock, he certainly does have a couple of useful traits.

Philip Olsen

Alex Warnock

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Bit of a bad month, but the way this season is going I'd be surprised if you're not going up as champions. Good job so far.

It certainly wasn't our best month, the games have been really narrow though and with some slightly better luck we should be able to sail smoothly for the title. Thanks for the comment. :thup:

a7qND2X.png

Jakub Słota's Management Career - March 2018 - FC United of Manchester

National League North

mmiGyPv.png

Trok0vu.png

Back to our ways. Yet another unbeaten month, not even our goalkeeper's injury prior to the Boston United game could stop us. We're not letting this slip now, I can't even think of the size of the catastrophe it would take to make us throw the title away.

Archived