[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

Those cheeky *******.

Application submitted at 9:00 a.m.

That very night, I get the word.  Naw, you aren't the right guy for the job, mate.

Well, there's nothing to do now but with it all with Slovakia, I guess.  If Sweden or Mexico come open, I may dive in, but I'd love the Slovaks now.  

1c4ac7b67a8c53df9296eb10b2af4690.png

f7fc49d8ed61f2e73eac24de31d01d78.png

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Chantu9Y said:

Soooo basically they turned down a World Cup/CL winner because they enjoy the smell of mediocrity in the morning. Way to go Czech Republic.:herman:

3 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

The only group you needed to avoid there was D. I love how Czech Republic turned down the man who won the World Cup only about a month ago :D.

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

"We like your winning pedigree, but we're not sure we can handle all the banter and Swedish Ultras that seem to pop up everywhere....."

They hired this guy, who's been managing Slovan Liberec for the past 11 years.

70fd4309d56294304bcd6a2d268c6336.jpg

e3e44be71d3eaad161656b9a8319015e.png

Beyond the Ultras and banter, I understand the cost of importing grapefruit in the Czech Republic is quite high.

In the long run, it give some grist to the narrative mill :brock:

Re the Champions League groups, being a 1st seed for winning Serie A was massive.  Swap me out with Madrid (the first seed there, for having won it all the year before), and I'd have taken Group D without hesitation.

Edited by ManUtd1

22 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

They hired this guy, who's been managing Slovan Liberec for the past 11 years.

70fd4309d56294304bcd6a2d268c6336.jpg

e3e44be71d3eaad161656b9a8319015e.png

Beyond the Ultras and banter, I understand the cost of importing grapefruit in the Czech Republic is quite high.

In the long run, it give some grist to the narrative mill :brock:

Re the Champions League groups, being a 1st seed for winning Serie A was massive.  Swap me out with Madrid (the first seed there, for having won it all the year before), and I'd have taken Group D without hesitation.

That's a good point, I had forgotten about the seeds. I'd say this'll be your year for the CL.

2 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

That's a good point, I had forgotten about the seeds. I'd say this'll be your year for the CL.

I hope to get through most of the group stage tonight.  Limited time to play this past week and all of this weekend. The side is fully capable...

FADE IN:

EXT. HEADQUARTERS, FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC, PRAGUE – DAY

A beautiful September, early in the evening. The sun is slowly setting behind a lazy, small group of clouds. Ambient sounds of this a bustling city gently fill the air.

INT. PRESS ROOM

The FAČR crest adorns a podium at the front of the room. The latest Sonic Death Penguin album plays quietly in the background.

A phalanx of national and foreign reporters snack on the meager offerings left out for them.  There is no question why a press conference has been called, given the angry headlines over the past few weeks. ANGAR GUNNARSSON sits calmly in the front row, nursing a large cup of coffee. It is his 3rd cup of the day. He carries himself with distinction, his mere presence commanding respect and deference. He has a world-weary crinkle about his eyes – the ghosts of sights that cannot be unseen.

At the stroke of 4, a door to the RIGHT of the podium opens and LUKAS HRUBES, the FA President slowly walks in, ignoring the reporters with a weary look on his face.  Steeling himself, LUKAS faces the assembled, eager mass of reporters.  The wrinkled, rumpled suit does LUKAS no favors as it merely reinforces the media narrative of a man in over his head.  The music stops.

LUKAS: Good afternoon, everyone. Thank you for coming here today.

ANGAR sits quietly, chewing on the nub of his pen, while the rest of the reporters begin to shout questions.

LUKAS: Before we begin, I have a short statement from the Association about Mr. Telleus.  This will be the only statement from the Association on this matter.

The room quiets abruptly, mics extended in hope, pens at the ready. ANGAR arches an eyebrow, and pointedly puts his pen down as if to signal that nothing LUKAS says could possibly interest him. LUKAS watches him out of the corner of his eye.  LUKAS begins to sweat.

LUKAS: Well, then...the...statement. Yes. Mr. Telleus’ availability was not truly known to the Association when we made our decision one month ago.  Nevertheless, the the Association are and remain pleased with the appointment of Mr. Trpisovsky as manager of the national team.  We have every confidence in Mr. Trpisovsky. That is all. Eh...I will now answer any questions you may have.

A stunned silence comes over the room. The reporters all look to ANGAR, who has the thousand-yard stare of a man struck by déjà vu. 

A young writer, HAMPUS LINDGREN, handsome, with a carefully cultivated hipster beard and man-bun, breaks the awkward silence.

LUKAS: Would you care to comment specifically on reports that the Association disregarded Mr. Telleus’ letter of interest, out of belief that it was a hoax?

LUKAS flinches visibly.  His left hand begins to tremble.

LUKAS: Well, you see.  Mr. Telleus had just won the World Cup with the Neederlands and has, to our knowledge, only been to Prague on weekend “stag dos” with his friends.  Understandably, we had no reason to believe that Mr. Telleus had any interest –

HAMPUS (scornfully): No reason?  No reason to believe…?  What about the letter itself, and the detailed Powerpoint presentation that he is rumored to have provided to the Association for review?

LUKAS begins to sweat more profusely.

LUKAS: The Powerpoint, yes.  You see, it was very impressive and detailed.  Obviously a hoax.

HAMPUS: What specifically is it about the Powerpoint led you to believe it was a hoax?  The impressive substance or the detailed substance?

LUKAS: The statement…the state – Mr. Telleus’ availability was not truly known to the Association when we made our decision one month ago.  Nevertheless, the the Association are and remain pleased with the appointment of Mr. Trpisovsky as manager of the national team.  We have every confidence in Mr. Trpisovsky.

HAMPUS: Yes, yes, the statement.

ANGAR is struck again by an overwhelming sense of déjà vu.

HAMPUS (continuing): Did the Association consider the letter of interest and Powerpoint as an indication of Mr. Telleus’ interest in managing the Czech Republic, or not?

LUKAS: But, how could it be?  This is the Czech Republik.  We simply assumed that this was like the other times when those people who play that game…Footie-Footie Manager, you know this game?  They win the Champions League with a Bulgarian amateur side and apply for ze real jobs?  It is a joke.

HAMPUS: Mr. Telleus sent you a letter.  A letter you ignored.  Mr. Telleus has chosen to remain silent on this matter, out of respect for your Association.  But you are here to answer questions about the entire debacle, are you not?

LUKAS: Debacle?  Who said it was a debacle, I most certainly did not –

HAMPUS: The President of your Republic. ESPN. The Guardian.  Rabona Interruptus.  The Svenska Dagblet.  The Mirror.  The Times – both New York and Poughkeepsie. 

LUKAS (angrily): Potty language is not welcome in the Czech Republic, sir.

HAMPUS (exasperated): What pot– nevermind.

LUKAS: There will be no more questions about Mr. Telleeesh!

The room is deathly quiet as Lukas slams his open palm onto the podium to emphasize this point. Hampus chuckles softly, already dreaming of clever titles to use for his online fanzine.  ANGAR coughs and raises his hand.

LUKAS flinches as if struck.  The tremble in his hand increases.  He acknowledges ANGAR with resignation in his eyes.

ANGAR: Thank you, Lukas. Why didn’t the Association take the simple step of simply calling the number on Mr. Telleus’ letter and—

LUKAS (interrupting): I said, no more questions about Mr. Tell…Telleus!

Dark sweat stains now adorn LUKAS’ shirt.  His right eye has begun to twitch violently.

ANGAR: Ok, ok.  Let me ask you this – would you consider a man unqualified to be the manager of the national side if he had, say…won the World Cup and Champions League, against all odds?

LUKAS: I will not play these games with you, Angar.  No questions about Mr. Telleus.  I refer you to the statement.

ANGAR (gently, in a soothing voice): Ok, Lukas.  How would you feel if Slovakia were to win the World Cup before the Republic?

LUKAS: Those peasants?  I mean.  Wait.  What?

ANGAR: Exactly.  Moving on…  Would you agree that leaders must, when the occasion arises, admit to their weaknesses? 

LUKAS: But of course, if you cannot recognize weakness in yourself, you can never improve.  Become great.  Better than before.

ANGAR: Then why can’t you admit that your weakness for Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill wine is what caused you to drunkenly ignore the outstretched hand of the greatest young manager in the world, in his prime?

LUKAS begins to stammer, and appears likely to suffer an aneurysm at any given moment.

LUKAS: Th…the….the statement.  I refer you to the statement.  No more questions about the Tellhees.

ANGAR: Fine, fine.  Let’s talk about Tomas Zajicek for a moment, shall we?

LUKAS: Tomas!  Yes!  He’s like the son I never had!  The light of my life.

ANGAR: Some are saying that the appointment of young Zajicek as captain of the national side is long overdue.

LUKAS (regaining his composure): Yes! TommyZ, he is the future!  I wear his cologne every day.  I shampoo with his shampoo.  I mak-ee the uhh…how you say…boink boink to my lovely wife, while listening to his albums!  His voice, is spun gold.  His locks, luscious.  He is the Czech Republic’s greatest footballer, and an icon to us all!

ANGAR (pausing for a moment): Now, others are saying that, notwithstanding his…err…qualities…the only reason the Association appointed Tomas captain is to put an end to his social media campaign, criticizing you, personally, for not appointing his former mentor, Mr. Telleus, to manage the national side.

LUKAS (getting agitated): I told you.  No more questions about Mr. Telly!!!

ANGAR: Technically, that was a question about Mr. Zajicek.

LUKAS (confused): No, no…I’m quite certain that you were—you said his name!!!

ANGAR: Yes.  I did.  I’ll move on.  Let me ask you this.  Do you agree with 87% of the people polled by ESPN, who contend that you should be, and I quote, “tarred, feathered, and sent on a scouting mission to Yemen in the company of Barney the Dinosaur as a result of your gross incompetence”?

LUKAS stares blankly, the blood draining from his face.  Not blinking or speaking.  The seconds feel like minutes.  The minutes, hours.

ANGAR: That was a question, Lukas.

LUKAS: That…that sounds a little…harsh.

LUKAS’ shoulders slump.  Moments later, he falls face-first into the podium like a puppet whose strings have been violently cut.

Several club officials enter and quietly coax LUKAS back to his feet. LUKAS finally stands with the help of 2 others, and looks about the room like a lost child searching for his mother.

LUKAS (quietly): Thank you for your time this evening. That is all.

ANGAR is again struck by an overwhelming sense of déjà vu.  But he cannot place it.  A half-remembered dream, maybe.  Perhaps it is just the half-dozen Drambouie and RedBulls he drank last night.

FADE OUT

Edited by ManUtd1

7 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

FADE IN:

EXT. HEADQUARTERS, FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC, PRAGUE – DAY

A beautiful September, early in the evening. The sun is slowly setting behind a lazy, small group of clouds. Ambient sounds of this a bustling city gently fill the air.

INT. PRESS ROOM

The FAČR crest adorns a podium at the front of the room. The latest Sonic Death Penguin album plays quietly in the background.

A phalanx of national and foreign reporters snack on the meager offerings left out for them.  There is no question why a press conference has been called, given the angry headlines over the past few weeks. ANGAR GUNNARSSON sits calmly in the front row, nursing a large cup of coffee. It is his 3rd cup of the day. He carries himself with distinction, his mere presence commanding respect and deference. He has a world-weary crinkle about his eyes – the ghosts of sights that cannot be unseen.

At the stroke of 4, a door to the RIGHT of the podium opens and LUKAS HRUBES, the FA President slowly walks in, ignoring the reporters with a weary look on his face.  Steeling himself, LUKAS faces the assembled, eager mass of reporters.  The wrinkled, rumpled suit does LUKAS no favors as it merely reinforces the media narrative of a man in over his head.  The music stops.

LUKAS: Good afternoon, everyone. Thank you for coming here today.

ANGAR sits quietly, chewing on the nub of his pen, while the rest of the reporters begin to shout questions.

LUKAS: Before we begin, I have a short statement from the Association about Mr. Telleus.  This will be the only statement from the Association on this matter.

The room quiets abruptly, mics extended in hope, pens at the ready. ANGAR arches an eyebrow, and pointedly puts his pen down as if to signal that nothing LUKAS says could possibly interest him. LUKAS watches him out of the corner of his eye.  LUKAS begins to sweat.

LUKAS: Well, then...the...statement. Yes. Mr. Telleus’ availability was not truly known to the Association when we made our decision one month ago.  Nevertheless, the the Association are and remain pleased with the appointment of Mr. Trpisovsky as manager of the national team.  We have every confidence in Mr. Trpisovsky. That is all. Eh...I will now answer any questions you may have.

A stunned silence comes over the room. The reporters all look to ANGAR, who has the thousand-yard stare of a man struck by déjà vu. 

A young writer, HAMPUS LINDGREN, handsome, with a carefully cultivated hipster beard and man-bun, breaks the awkward silence.

LUKAS: Would you care to comment specifically on reports that the Association disregarded Mr. Telleus’ letter of interest, out of belief that it was a hoax?

LUKAS flinches visibly.  His left hand begins to tremble.

LUKAS: Well, you see.  Mr. Telleus had just won the World Cup with the Neederlands and has, to our knowledge, only been to Prague on weekend “stag dos” with his friends.  Understandably, we had no reason to believe that Mr. Telleus had any interest –

HAMPUS (scornfully): No reason?  No reason to believe…?  What about the letter itself, and the detailed Powerpoint presentation that he is rumored to have provided to the Association for review?

LUKAS begins to sweat more profusely.

LUKAS: The Powerpoint, yes.  You see, it was very impressive and detailed.  Obviously a hoax.

HAMPUS: What specifically is it about the Powerpoint led you to believe it was a hoax?  The impressive substance or the detailed substance?

LUKAS: The statement…the state – Mr. Telleus’ availability was not truly known to the Association when we made our decision one month ago.  Nevertheless, the the Association are and remain pleased with the appointment of Mr. Trpisovsky as manager of the national team.  We have every confidence in Mr. Trpisovsky.

HAMPUS: Yes, yes, the statement.

INGEMAR is struck again by an overwhelming sense of déjà vu.

HAMPUS (continuing): Did the Association consider the letter of interest and Powerpoint as an indication of Mr. Telleus’ interest in managing the Czech Republic, or not?

LUKAS: But, how could it be?  This is the Czech Republik.  We simply assumed that this was like the other times when those people who play that game…Footie-Footie Manager, you know this game?  They win the Champions League with a Bulgarian amateur side and apply for ze real jobs?  It is a joke.

HAMPUS: Mr. Telleus sent you a letter.  A letter you ignored.  Mr. Telleus has chosen to remain silent on this matter, out of respect for your Association.  But you are here to answer questions about the entire debacle, are you not?

LUKAS: Debacle?  Who said it was a debacle, I most certainly did not –

HAMPUS: The President of your Republic. ESPN. The Guardian.  Rabona Interruptus.  The Svenska Dagblet.  The Mirror.  The Times – both New York and Poughkeepsie. 

LUKAS (angrily): Potty language is not welcome in the Czech Republic, sir.

HAMPUS (exasperated): What pot– nevermind.

LUKAS: There will be no more questions about Mr. Telleeesh!

The room is deathly quiet as Lukas slams his open palm onto the podium to emphasize this point. Hampus chuckles softly, already dreaming of clever titles to use for his online fanzine.  ANGAR coughs and raises his hand.

LUKAS flinches as if struck.  The tremble in his hand increases.  He acknowledges ANGAR with resignation in his eyes.

ANGAR: Thank you, Lukas. Why didn’t the Association take the simple step of simply calling the number on Mr. Telleus’ letter and—

LUKAS (interrupting): I said, no more questions about Mr. Tell…Telleus!

Dark sweat stains now adorn LUKAS’ shirt.  His right eye has begun to twitch violently.

ANGAR: Ok, ok.  Let me ask you this – would you consider a man unqualified to be the manager of the national side if he had, say…won the World Cup and Champions League, against all odds?

LUKAS: I will not play these games with you, Angar.  No questions about Mr. Telleus.  I refer you to the statement.

ANGAR (gently, in a soothing voice): Ok, Lukas.  How would you feel if Slovakia were to win the World Cup before the Republic?

LUKAS: Those peasants?  I mean.  Wait.  What?

ANGAR: Exactly.  Moving on…  Would you agree that leaders must, when the occasion arises, admit to their weaknesses? 

LUKAS: But of course, if you cannot recognize weakness in yourself, you can never improve.  Become great.  Better than before.

ANGAR: Then why can’t you admit that your weakness for Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill wine is what caused you to drunkenly ignore the outstretched hand of the greatest young manager in the world, in his prime?

LUKAS begins to stammer, and appears likely to suffer an aneurysm at any given moment.

LUKAS: Th…the….the statement.  I refer you to the statement.  No more questions about the Tellhees.

ANGAR: Fine, fine.  Let’s talk about Tomas Zajicek for a moment, shall we?

LUKAS: Tomas!  Yes!  He’s like the son I never had!  The light of my life.

ANGAR: Some are saying that the appointment of young Zajicek as captain of the national side is long overdue.

LUKAS (regaining his composure): Yes! TommyZ, he is the future!  I wear his cologne every day.  I shampoo with his shampoo.  I mak-ee the uhh…how you say…boink boink to my lovely wife, while listening to his albums!  His voice, is spun gold.  His locks, luscious.  He is the Czech Republic’s greatest footballer, and an icon to us all!

ANGAR (pausing for a moment): Now, others are saying that, notwithstanding his…err…qualities…the only reason the Association appointed Tomas captain is to put an end to his social media campaign, criticizing you, personally, for not appointing his former mentor, Mr. Telleus, to manage the national side.

LUKAS (getting agitated): I told you.  No more questions about Mr. Telly!!!

ANGAR: Technically, that was a question about Mr. Zajicek.

LUKAS (confused): No, no…I’m quite certain that you were—you said his name!!!

ANGAR: Yes.  I did.  I’ll move on.  Let me ask you this.  Do you agree with 87% of the people polled by ESPN, who contend that you should be, and I quote, “tarred, feathered, and sent on a scouting mission to Yemen in the company of Barney the Dinosaur as a result of your gross incompetence”?

LUKAS stares blankly, the blood draining from his face.  Not blinking or speaking.  The seconds feel like minutes.  The minutes, hours.

ANGAR: That was a question, Lukas.

LUKAS: That…that sounds a little…harsh.

LUKAS’ shoulders slump.  Moments later, he falls face-first into the podium like a puppet whose strings have been violently cut.

Several club officials enter and quietly coax LUKAS back to his feet. LUKAS finally stands with the help of 2 others, and looks about the room like a lost child searching for his mother.

LUKAS (quietly): Thank you for your time this evening. That is all.

ANGAR is again struck by an overwhelming sense of déjà vu.  But he cannot place it.  A half-remembered dream, maybe.  Perhaps it is just the half-dozen Drambouie and RedBulls he drank last night.

FADE OUT

Your writing style is fantastic for these pieces.

5 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Some say he is still trembling in his office.

He is a rather twitchy fellow. We'll be seeing him on occasion :D

4 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Your writing style is fantastic for these pieces.

Thanks, man. Glad you're enjoying it!

36 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

That was twisted.  Even for this thread.

That's the toned down version, and all. I almost posted a pic of him smiling instead.

34 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Ranting about his “philo-shiph-y”?

That's the one!

Payback is a thing you gotta see...

1bf65a32e49820d936c09fbfdd3b551d.png

ACF Fiorentina

December 2026 Update

Easily our best season thus far.  Even significant injuries to Besevic and Austin have not slowed us down.  We're in our stride.  Playing with a chip on our shoulders.  

In Europe, we had a relatively straightforward group, complicated by the presence of Mourinho's United.  We steamrolled them at the Artemio Franchi, and then took advantage in Manchester after a dire match was lit afire when Luke Shaw foolishly gave away a penalty in the second half.  United lost their cool, drew a red for protesting, and the rest was history.  We won our Group handily, allowing our 2nd XI to feature on Matchday 6 against BATE.

6eb0a5bc806f8257af44c12c1074aa72.png

e4230cb56d27f26b5694a4e4ca5a5a0c.png dbbeb6d0a58f5278e78879849c3666f4.jpg

I'm really hoping for another return to Malmo...for old times' sake...or a rematch with Madrid to avenge our loss in the 2026 Final.  The balls are in the hopper, with Ryan Giggs picking them out.  FFS, Ryan, button that up, son...no one needs to see that carpet right now.

It had to be.  Madrid.  Thank you, Sir Shaggsy.

9fa2e856ff3d667a98c196f0fc1624f4.png

4835b4838b9f1e30aaf1cdc02714f356.png

I'm wearing that jumpsuit at the match.  Get down with yo' bad self!

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Domestically, we're rampant.  After the undefeated 2025/26 Serie A season, one would think that we'd have a target on our backs.  We probably, but it doesn't matter.  Grapefruit 2.0 is in effect, with an away draw against Milan the only blemish.

9d4ed4d773dc8bbb026eb89191c2dd0d.jpg 6b77b5794ca063f2cc2befa346a92d90.jpg

5bf69ef0a79d09dd2410bb6c7173c91b.jpg

All told, we're in great shape heading into 2027.  Time to get our groove on at the Bernabeu.

51 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

That's the very one!

(To be honest, I actually liked Van Gaal, football was terrible though!)

He was mad as a box of frogs, and I loved it.  Shame the football was such utter and complete crap!

Fiorentina claim their third-straight Golden Boy.  This year, it is the beautifully-named Bozo Crncevic, who features in my 2nd XI and off the bench for my 1st.  He's been filling in for the injured Besevic, as well.

d46bc87bd8883fe5ca31433c64417c79.png

fb8259a438442f82de137d6805a942e8.jpg

I've also had my first player named to the FIFA World XI (edit: in this save), with Rugi claiming a spot on the subs bench behind Manchester City's Paulo Dybala (who just won his third Golden Ball on the bounce).

929c57576972cb7eb00f1753aa236de9.png

a5414ec3299d6b322f8fe6aaeff9c1ae.jpg

e734b4ad597a6d20dc5f54ce347996ce.jpg

a5414ec3299d6b322f8fe6aaeff9c1ae.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

19 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

Ah, Real Madrid. Of course :)

This game really seems like it's trying to build a narrative sometimes, between this and Malmo last year for you, and a bunch of things I've seen in my old games.

At times.  It may just be confirmation bias, but man...I love seeing stuff like this come around.

ACF Fiorentina

Champions League 2025/2026 - First Leg, First Knockout Round

The Bernabeu has been my happy hunting ground in the past -- overcoming a deficit against Madrid during the knockout rounds on our journey to the Champions League final in 2022...which was held at the Bernabeu.  So, I have a good feeling.

There is also the element of revenge for losing in the Champions League final last year.  My final words to the lads was to focus on what we'd been seeking, planning and working towards since May -- the big payback.

f1020ad000425b2f6388705bb69bae73.jpg

Jan...Jan...I hope you don't have to cry yourself to sleep tonight on your wee pillow.  Actually, I do.  

Opening minutes.  Free kick from 30 yards.  Zamuner lurking over it like a predator.  1-0 TO LA VIOLA!!!!!!!  WHAT A START!!!!

75addde0b0b82ccba996c0b98ca0fcfa.jpg

Madrid kick off and begin to push forward...MEDINA OFF THE POST!!! SO CLOSE FOR MADRID!!!

495037831c62654239d0f1f99daf9be4.jpg

Both sides are pressing and creating opportunities, but nothing more to show for it.

c528d557f7741bd086efa0180984fe0d.jpg

A long goal kick from Dragowski sees some great interplay between the purple-clad away side...RUGI SPRINGS VASALAS FREE...HE MAKES NO MISTAKE!!!! 2-0!!!!  NIGHTMARE FOR MADRID!!!!

2495ff0d975a148c768067325a27c6c5.jpg

The halftime whistle blows, and the white hankies are out amid a deafening chorus of whistles.  The Madridistas are not pleased!

Another long goal kick from Dragowski finds Janssens, who gives to Rugi and takes off down the wing...he has some space, Rugi finds him...one touch...A CROSS WHIPPED IN...VASALAS!!!!!!!  3 NIL!!! MADRID ARE FALLING APART!!!  A MATCH EVEN BY ALL MEASURES, BUT THE ONLY ONE THAT COUNTS!!!

FIORENTINA CLINICAL, MADRID FLACCID!!!

054613aefb5c083cc13b4860e841fd4e.jpg

THEY'LL BE DANCING IN THE STREETS OF FIORENTINA TONIGHT!!!

AND WITH THAT GOAL, IT IS ALL FIORENTINA!  WAVES OF PURPLE, SURGING FORWARD, RELENTLESS!  IT IS NOT A QUESTION OF IF, BUT WHEN THEIR NEXT GOAL WILL ARRIVE!!!!

Substitions are on....Pini and Crncevic on in the midfield for the tiring Janssens and Austin, with Crncevic being given the remit to push forward while Zamuner slides right to hold.  Civiero replaces Rugi, as the youngster continues his footballing education in one of the cathedrals of the game.

Pini...wide right, just inside the half...holding...searching...driving a ball TO CRNCEVIC BREAKING FROM DEEP!!!! HE'S GOT A STEP....AND THAT'S 4!!!!  A BAKER'S HAT-TRICK FOR FIORENTINA!!!

528cbd1982106c43f81537ea26f9b4c4.jpg

THE BERNABEU STUNNED!!!  TELLEUS AND HIS MEN HAVE QUIETLY SEETHED SINCE MAY, BIDING THEIR TIME.  GIVEN THE CHANCE, THEY'RE TAKING IT BY THE SCRUFF OF THE NECK!!!  THERE CAN BE NO WAY BACK FOR MADRID!!! FIORENTINA ARE RELENTLESS!!!

Pini with a tame shot at Baron...OHH!  Sloppy technique sees the ball spill back to Pini, who gets to the touchline...cuts it back TO BESEVIC ALL ALONE AT THE BACK POST!!!  5!!!!

022169ad2f13e7c8212be04f4c997985.jpg

77 MINUTES, AND THE TIE IS ALL BUT OVER!!! FIORENTINA, CLINICAL IN GAINING THE LEAD HAVE NOW CAPITALIZED ON MADRID'S UTTER AND COMPLETE COLLAPSE!!!  MAKE NO MISTAKE, THE CHAMPIONS ARE DONE!!!

A consolation goal from Lundqvist in the 84th will do nothing to quell the insurrection that is about to begin in the Spanish capitol.

aabd698afb879837eb01ced8c6158fe8.jpg

An utter shambles from the defending Champions.  Fiorentina, ascendant!!!

160f0db0a27b4b829022e56b78044ab9.png

2d064592843a1eb7f40896181113622a.jpg

5f2e074fb6d5e59f98ecabbad12696d2.png

Edited by ManUtd1
Formatting

15 hours ago, hasdgfas said:

Wow! I'm losing 2-1 to ten-man Stoke in my away matches, and you're winning 5-1 at Real Madrid. Really impressive. This has to be the year, right?

Fingers are crossed. We're certainly good enough, such that I'd be very disappointed if it didn't happen.

12 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Yeah, his press conferences were fantastic.

“Louis Van Gaal’s Red Army!

That, and the drunken speech at the end of year gathering.

10 hours ago, andychar said:

Entertaining stuff as always. This is going to be your year. Will be interesting to see where you will be heading next.

Thanks! I've got a few thoughts if I were to win it this year, but...not counting chickens before they hatch and all...

6 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Amazing stuff, you'll surely get that crown. :thup:

I appreciate the confidence! A crown of grapefruit peelings!

6 hours ago, Duroliponte said:

Thought I'd take in this thread as part of my FMCU comeback- and wasn't disappointed! Out of interest, as they keep cropping up: what sort of state are Leeds in at the moment?

Thanks for reading! Glad you've enjoyed my slow descent into madness...

I'm away from my laptop until this evening, but I've checked in on them. As I recall offhand, they've been "finishing" in the mid/lower tier of the Championship this entire time. Not necessarily relegation fodder, but not close to promotion.

(I use quotes because the Championship is not an active league, to be gentle on the laptop. I'll try to remember to post a screenshot later.)

ACF Fiorentina

Champions League 2025/2026 - Second Leg, First Knockout Round

This result was never in doubt, even with Rugi out injured.  Revenge for losing the final?  Check.  Payback, on track?  Check.

5cf5c1ac17d119085b953ddc4260405c.jpg 2e61c052616d18af870711bded358023.jpg

059624628c2bfc565cd5521c3fdb9417.jpg

7-1 on aggregate.  Nice.

Who's next?!

Ugh.  This is bad.

I've been having the "game freezes on inbox" issue that others have posted about in the bugs forum.  First noticed it yesterday, but thankfully I had saved so I didn't lose anything.  Tonight, I froze right after the Madrid 2nd leg.

I replayed it using instant result, and got the same 2-0 scoreline.

ba4817ba354618a47a0819cf3d394336.jpg

I saved, and am now following the directions in the relevant threads to see if this will go away.

Suffice to say, I will be absolutely gutted if this save it lost.

Ooh...I like this.  Very, very much.  

We draw Diego Simeone's City.  The same City that I beat in the Final on penalties in '22 with Malmo. 

0a10f4914a1b13abf4b59b90940ac29a.png

7ce464f95395c5d459bfa9bb93ad085e.png

f98146d82b7df9b310d460f914264271.jpg

(Fingers are very much crossed that the freezing issue will pass...)

ACF Fiorentina

Champions League 2025/2026 - Quaterfinals

A highly professional, clinical showing in Manchester meant that we went back to the Artemio Franchi in a tremendous position to advance.  Three first-half goals ensured that the job was done.

fc2a7b1efcfdef67a9b9da36a44aba15.jpg 28578a311f530488c76e3e9717a6a943.jpg

Full credit to City (what am I saying?!?) for not laying down once the match was truly over.  They attacked with reckless abandon, such that the final 25 minutes of the tie saw no less than 6 goals.

6d87543645c03f42180d14d47a756c76.png

Into the semifinals, with four giants looking to secure a spot at Signal Iduna Park.  Will it be another trip to Manchester?

4f17ce86711744993f9b01e207cc45a2.png

No.  We're off to Paris, to face Pep's PSG who eliminated us on away goals 2 years ago at this very stage (only for us to hammer them in the Group Stages later that year).

a5c8de3de50feb8ab8228044b712e2fa.png

215e6b68b2e016583416f0ff1122bfda.jpg

(As busy as my day is, I likely cannot play these matches until tonight, when I can give them the full flavor they deserve.)

23 minutes ago, Repsalty said:

Champions 7 games before the end in the Serie A...... why do you have to make me look bad?

Haha!  It's been THAT kind of year, for sure.  Thanks for following along :)