[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Joe. said:

The remaining teams in the Champions League don't look like much to be afraid of..

Aha I typed this before seeing who got through to the Semis

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

Aha I typed this before seeing who got through to the Semis

Heh...yeah, there was a clear hierarchy in the quarterfinal stage.  But, we: (1) curb-stomped Chelsea in the knockout rounds last year (7-3 on aggregate); and (2) won home and away against United during the Group Stage this year.  So, I very much like our chances. 

1bf65a32e49820d936c09fbfdd3b551d.png

ACF Fiorentina

Champions League 2025/2026 - Semifinal, 1st Leg

Nice to see you again, Tommy Boy.  Bring it on.  The Artemio Franchi is ready.  Barneys are everywhere.

1152d8fde3cd33a4f85a4440fa5f78fc.jpg 1abd61c3f8763e1500b0e6874539d114.jpg

First chance of the match falls to Dino Zamuner, who blazes over from 16 yards.  Get yer feckin' knee over the ball, son!!!

7a119bfbffeab1f89ca659e61f075e3f.jpg

Err...nevermind...the ref is giving a corner.

e24ca8927f6906ad308f3ff0493c63c8.jpg

Thankfully, no one could hear what I was actually saying given the 57,000 people screaming their heads off.  Nevertheless, the early stages are all Viola, as Rugi forces a big save from Donnarumma.

361773f87721599e0fff1f939cb3225a.jpg

Nightmare...PSG's first foray forward, long throw in that we don't deal with at the near post.  If anything, the seething cauldron that is the Artemio does not relent.  Down 1, so what?!

7367e2fb0d1926b142b7080c5a17db5d.jpg

We continue to press and probe, with the lion's share of possession and all the intent...Janssens breaks to the byline...cuts it back for Vasalas...VASALAS, NO!!! BESEVIC YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

574767ffea34279367be0634372e8a8e.jpg

Back in the balance, in front of the new Curva Fiesole!!!!  We press from the kickoff...relentless, like a hungry, singing dino, we shall not relent!!!  Corner to Fiorentina...Besevic FINDS POSTORINO, RISING LIKE A PHOENIX AT THE BACK POST!!! THAT'S 2!!!!

87adb10bbc096b8ecc8edfbc647ffe9b.jpg

THE CURVA IS A ROILING MASS OF JOY!!!

PSG press forward, seeking an equalizer...Busic with a valiant run, centers and...OH MY GOODNESS, BENALI HAS PLAYED THE BALL OFF HIS OWN POST!  THE MARGINS THINNER THAN A RAZOR BLADE HERE IN ITALY!!!

3ffbd987a74cc2ac29d8664905383bab.jpg

Dragowski gives the post a cheeky kiss, and we're off and running once again!  PSG pushing men forward with reckless abandon now, as Fiorentina casually soak up the pressure and counter.  The French have nearly been carved open on several occasions.

Zamuner steals and drills a 40-yard Hollywood ball to a streaking Besevic...WHO FINDS VASALAS ALONE IN THE BOX!!! THAT'S 3!!!! PSG HAVE IT ALL TO DO, NOW!!!

f0b6577b4ce5fa6328efddda93c22b11.jpg

3-1 at the half.  If PSG don't sort this out soon, the tie will be over before long.

63558629adaf21059565e2005d979c71.jpg

No tactical changes on our end of the pitch. Yet.  Soak up that pressure, hit them fast and hard.

Fiorentina controlling the early stages.  Besevic breaking down the left wing...hacked down cruelly by Giuliano!  That's a professional foul!!!  What will it be?!?!?  Only a yellow card! The supporters are furious!!!

PSG are rattled!!!  Off the ensuing free kick...Besevic drops to Zamuner, who beats 1 man, 2...LAYS IT OFF TO BESEVIC, WHO WHIPS IT ACROSS TO A STREAKING JANSSENS!!!  4-1!!!!! PSG HAVE IT ALL TO DO, NOW!!!

737554a74bc84b9af689c5fd0ec815b6.jpg

PSG are simply unable to create anything here.  Fiorentina in complete control.  The only question being whether they will execute the final coup d'grace.

Besevic with a trademark, winding run at full pace...breezing past defenders, dishing it at the last moment to Van Driessche.  It's almost perverse, at this stage.  Pep, speechless.

fa81d68d9d001ca72f8e5bd453ec2608.jpg

But what could he possibly say?  His side well-beaten, thinking back to what might have been if Benali's blunder had found its way in at Dragowski's near post.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

d74c25a7fb420383f16cc70d53cd85d5.jpg

6977f9ad91394a1707bb5ce0170500a0.png

So, I manage to sneak in a match...and it has to be that incredible.  Alas, the laptop has to go off for a bit.  Back later, with the 2nd leg and, hopefully, the final.

I almost re-used my twist on the "They'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Soluntions tonight!" line... :D

Edited by ManUtd1

5 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

Decent result, that. I'd put it in the top half of your results so far this save. :D

Seriously though, that's a fantastic start to the tie. I'd call you a slight favorite for the return leg ;) 

Hahaha! The thing is, this side is so good I might not even mind! To be fair, we dropped our first two games of the season right before this one (Juventus and Roma), so I wasn't particularly confident coming into this one. Especially with the long throw in...and then Benali (the Spanish Vidic) putting it off the post.

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Destroyed. :lol:

#PepIsBald

Edited by ManUtd1
Autocorrect

1bf65a32e49820d936c09fbfdd3b551d.png

ACF Fiorentina

Champions League 2025/2026 - Semifinal, 2nd Leg

Not a chance, Pep.  A 10th minute goal from Rugi sealed the tie.

cd6dc9e91bf41d85d25aee456522c614.jpg

f610df2af9fc949d86f87f2cce5608c2.jpg 5980089dd03401567112713aeb2adc4f.jpg

a5d54a02323853d24c1973989f73347f.jpg

Comprehensive, thorough.  An absolute, utter beating.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Mourinho's United annihilate Chelsea in London, to set up a massive Final in Dortmund.

b518e44ec2741e83ff7e56ad109aacab.jpg

42ccce983cd7d74a3fd030d644742cb2.png

Quick glace at Europe while we work towards the CL final...

6d81302eb7c3eec2135e6e90a5d3d95d.jpg

PSG is PSG'ing in France...Spain is tight at the top, as 1 point separates the top 3.  Mourinho's United may fall out of the top 4.  Dortmund pipped Bayern in Germany.  And Malmo is struggling more than I've seen since the start of the save, with only 6 wins from 10.

8 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

oof, completely brutal :( 

Indeed.  That was brutal.  I'm trying to be "glass is half full" about it, in that the side is absolutely immense.  We should be unstoppable next year.  But that's football, isn't it?  90 minutes, and anyone can win.

What?! How... how did this happen? I was sure you'd get it this time, especially after the dismantling of PSG #PepIsBald. I smell a conspiracy, you are really trying to stave off Leeds aren't you?

9 minutes ago, Willigenburg said:

Fiorentina seems to be the real 'Nearly Men' of Europe!

And this!

Great story, so far! But not happy to see Fiorentina loss to United.

I think the Fiorentina fans would be unhappier than before, guessing that they completely jeered Man United for the loss.

Mark Man United as Tellus' greatest enemy of all time, but I hope 2028 will be the second year of luck in Fiortentina again.

Thanks for the moral support, @Keano16, @Willigenburg, @Repsalty, @andychar, @Fer Fuchs Ake, @Rikulec, @sherwinriga, @BoxToBox, @Dave., and @smp20!  

I do have to think that it's on the verge of happening.  But that's two straight losses in the final, following on the away-goals loss to PSG in the semifinals.  The new "Nearly Men," indeed.

The squad review will be a bit cathartic, I think.  There isn't a ton of room for improvement, but perhaps I can tweak something here or there to give us a little extra something

And on that night in Florence, not a light shone. For the defeat shrouded the city in a misery cruel enough to extinguish hope. Throughout the city La Viola stared silently into the darkness, the children softly sobbing themselves to sleep, those more familiar with disappointment re-embracing cynicism so recently shed. Unassailable doubts whispered in the still recesses.There would never be redemption. Glory graces not Fiorentina.

3 hours ago, R7Now said:

Sad thing is, you probably would've won with Besevic. Heartbreaking, nonetheless.

He is a monster out there.  Opens up defenses with ease.  There's no question that his absence was felt.  But, United were missing Pogba and Martial, so...

1 hour ago, Ceching You Out said:

And on that night in Florence, not a light shone. For the defeat shrouded the city in a misery cruel enough to extinguish hope. Throughout the city La Viola stared silently into the darkness, the children softly sobbing themselves to sleep, those more familiar with disappointment re-embracing cynicism so recently shed. Unassailable doubts whispered in the still recesses.There would never be redemption. Glory graces not Fiorentina.

I'll never forget my oldest son (now 10) bawling when the Ronaldo-led Madrid eliminated United in the Champions League...Nani's BS red card which changed the game.  It was his first year really watching matches with me -- he was gutted for days, and just couldn't wrap his head around what had happened.  The red card, the loss.

The only thing your extremely poetic narrative left out was the detail-obsessed manager, working away in the bowels of the Artemio Franchi.  Not stopping at home.  Straight from the airport, off the flight from Germany.  A cold fury burning in his heart.

Just now, ManUtd1 said:

I'll never forget my oldest son (now 10) bawling when the Ronaldo-led Madrid eliminated United in the Champions League...Nani's BS red card which changed the game.  It was his first year really watching matches with me -- he was gutted for days, and just couldn't wrap his head around what had happened.  The red card, the loss.

The only thing your extremely poetic narrative left out was the detail-obsessed manager, working away in the bowels of the Artemio Franchi.  Not stopping at home.  Straight from the airport, off the flight from Germany.  A cold fury burning in his heart.

Poignant to see little ones experience that kind of thing for the first time. That's the value of football (and sports more generally) isn't it? A proxy for the emotional rollercoaster of life and all the lessons therein. And of course the thinly veiled appeal of tribalism and connection. I've had a couple of competing ideas for my first save when I eventually lay down Avenir Beggen and buy FM17. Only relevant because this kind of story-telling has me leaning towards the narrative heavier format of the two that is intended to touch on similar themes in football.

I only spin the story of despair! Leaving it to Telleus to scribe the successes. :D

1 minute ago, Ceching You Out said:

Poignant to see little ones experience that kind of thing for the first time. That's the value of football (and sports more generally) isn't it? A proxy for the emotional rollercoaster of life and all the lessons therein. And of course the thinly veiled appeal of tribalism and connection. I've had a couple of competing ideas for my first save when I eventually lay down Avenir Beggen and buy FM17. Only relevant because this kind of story-telling has me leaning towards the narrative heavier format of the two that is intended to touch on similar themes in football.

I only spin the story of despair! Leaving it to Telleus to scribe the successes. :D

Hahaha -- so very true.  My 10 year old is crazy for the game, and plays at a pretty good level here in the States, taking after Dad.  The life lessons one learns playing sports...it can be brutal, but man it is a growing experience.

The narrative stuff is what entertains me with FM these days.  I don't have the time to really play it like I used to, but it is my escape from the responsibilities of the real world (work, family, etc).  FM, coffee and jelly beans are my vices/indulgences...that's about it, unless I pick up another game that intrigues me (CK2 and GTA are the only things I've dove into as much as FM).