[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

4 hours ago, Dave. said:

What a brilliant idea for a challenge, loving this thread! I'll be following.

Great work with Malmo and Fiorentina (and the copious amount of memes); I can't imagine, with the Dutch on the boil now as well, it'll be long until you've turned a second team of losers into winners.

Also - can't wait until you get your hands on Leeds. I'm not sure that's more down to a craving to finally see some success that isn't followed by a financial meltdown (don't you dare) or watching a Man U fan's internal conflict play out over the internet. WE ALL LOVE LEEDS.

(P.S. leave Hungary for a little while, I do hate to be upstaged :herman:)

Thanks for reading, @Dave.!  Credit for the idea originally traces to @smp20, as he conceived it a few years back.

I'm hoping that the Dutch and Fiorentina can achieve a double in 2026...fingers are crossed, but things are definitely coming together.

As for Leeds...yes, the existential dilemma that will engulf me could be immense.  I've accepted the fact that I'll have to take them on and do right by them...I'll just have to have a long, lonely cry in the shower afterwards!

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was an intense match, to say the least.  For a few minutes, I thought I'd get FM'd!

The run-in is going to be taxing this year, as I've got a few injuries (with Dias and Van Driessche having more long-term issues, the latter a broken ankle).

c3cc5d5f8fc38a2366aa2079201afc5e.png

Just now, BoxToBox said:

Felt for a minute like there was bad news about to go down, but the day was won, now hopefully Malmo see sense with Bobby Manc, or I'll have to send him a special grapefruit basket....

You're telling me...I'm typing this all out, in real time, not looking back in retrospect, so there's no foreshadowing going on!  Just the ride!

Aside from our win, the biggest news of the first knockout round is that PSG eliminated 2-time defending champions City.

29c3d275de3f1fffc77abf0b6468ce4b.png

The draw is going to be...interesting.  There is no "upside" to any of these sides.  Monaco may be the "smallest" side, but they've been strong in France and have a ****ton of cash.  Barcelona would be an enjoyable draw, given our Group Stage battles.

0b34288ec4e34a0b94a34e9b0f23eab7.png

a29636b97d2be9f3c590fc1147f03a09.png

Real Madrid, it is.  The same Real Madrid who are running away with La Liga, undefeated through 29 matches, led by Pichichi-contender and Hakan-acolyte Jan Lundqvist.

5d3dfa24b98352939efb50dd9f261201.jpg 91008f09e18b11ef5bf17782fbead62b.jpg

Brutal draw on a couple of levels.

Domestically, we're in pretty good shape.  We sit 4th heading into the international break.  Only 3 points separate the top 4.  Milan, Lazio and Inter have fallen off the pace -- things were much tighter at the end of February.

cc9681926f9626d6fa3a4489b687e5ce.jpg

Off to Amsterdam for a Friendly against Egypt, then to Serbia for a huge WCQ match.  

Edited by ManUtd1

Just now, hasdgfas said:

Things are really heating up this season. No end to the high-pressure matches, eh?

This is the run-in, after I return from Serbia:

0add82f620f951dfffe2efdfb5a4f5e0.jpg

Every match will count, as Milan and Lazio could easily get back into the mix if I slip up.

Add in a potential TIM Cup final (we won the 1st leg, 4-0)...things are crazy.  Mid-June sees the Dutch host Cyprus and Hungary, so a win in Serbia could go a long ways...

A quick look around Europe...

767c8e821237d0edfeb54cd36d5cafe3.jpg

Madrid, we've already touched on.  PSG are even more dominant in France, with Bayern strong in Germany.  Chelsea and United seem to be in a two-horse race in England.  Belgium, Greece and Serbia are anyone's guess.

My first match back at the Bernabeu since '22, when we overcame a 1-nil deficit away to Real at the quarterfinal stage and then knocked off City on penalties.  A happy hunting ground still?!

248b96ae7f9604227edfbd62ac9de758.jpg

Rugi hit the bar in the 90th minute, after Lundqvist hammered ours in the 86th.  Almost a massive upset.  Regardless, I'll take it.

Our 2nd XI get a big win over Torino on the weekend, after dropping points against Palermo before the 1st leg.  Yet, things continue to tighten in Italy.

513db5a4b5b6aa034c532b4470c4d318.jpg

But, our focus must now turn to The Virus...and 90 minutes of fury.

Tell Borat to get the Barney suit ready.

The weekend before the 1st leg of the PSG tie, our 2nd XI get hammered 3-1 at the San Siro, but Juventus and Napoli also drop points.  4 matches left, still tight as can be at the top.

28ab101755042d70d1c113e37bbc9617.jpg

Off to Paris, lads!

This is how we'll line up against Pep the Bald's PSG.  I'm going to tweak things a bit -- drop my defensive line deeper, try to get counterattacks flowing without shifting the mentality to counter.

041827ec0d941bc82e8d7c62eedb7939.jpg

Van Driessche is injured again...a back strain this time.  Pini is on the bench in his place.

29218979e6544608808ba3cdaaa2a252.jpg

Here goes nothing...

Edited by ManUtd1

So far, so good, men.  Let them tiki-taka their way around the middle of the pitch and launch balls from a distance.  Drago has got it covered.

18b2ed15a54fdc991b32ba1f40fd9f16.jpg

It's all going to plan right now.  Time to tweak things a little...see if we can snatch a goal.