height and weight , useful or useless ?

Can someone tell me whether the height and weight are attributes included in game siumulator ?

Are they just a group of number telling us the basic facts of the player ? Or they are useful as attributes like jumping reach and strength ?

If they are important and useful , when I am choose a CD , why there is no hint or highlight for the height and weight ?

Height will determine the maximum value that Jumping Reach can be. You won't find a 5'6" player with 20 JR, for instance.

For some passes/crosses, taller players don't have to jump, whereas shorter players may need to.

As far as I know, weight doesn't affect anything, though I may be wrong.

Height definitely useful if the engine work as what I understand. A tall player and a short player may have the same jump reach, but tall player will have advantage catch the ball in air, e.g. if the ball is not too high and tall player may not need to jump to catch the ball but short player do need, so though two player's jump reach are same, short player need more stamina/workrate/determination to win as many air challenge as tall player.

For the weight part, there are no good explanation in game and I have no clue how it work. I don't think weight is equivalent to strength, for example when a player is coming back from a lazy season-end break, I will expect him to increase in weight but decrease in strength. I see some people link strength with how powerful a player shoot/how far a goalkeeper make a throw, some link with physical challenge, but yet to hear an official explanation.

3 minutes ago, doucong said:

Height definitely useful if the engine work as what I understand. A tall player and a short player may have the same jump reach, but tall player will have advantage catch the ball in air, e.g. if the ball is not too high and tall player may not need to jump to catch the ball but short player do need, so though two player's jump reach are same, short player need more stamina/workrate/determination to win as many air challenge as tall player.

For the weight part, there are no good explanation in game and I have no clue how it work. I don't think weight is equivalent to strength, for example when a player is coming back from a lazy season-end break, I will expect him to increase in weight but decrease in strength. I see some people link strength with how powerful a player shoot/how far a goalkeeper make a throw, some link with physical challenge, but yet to hear an official explanation.

Do you have any in game clue that height affect the simulation ?Or experiment on two players with all same attributes except the height ?

If height plays a roll in the performance of a player like CD , why does the system not give us any hint or highlight when we pick up the role CD , like jumping reach ?

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Height will determine the maximum value that Jumping Reach can be. You won't find a 5'6" player with 20 JR, for instance.

For some passes/crosses, taller players don't have to jump, whereas shorter players may need to.

As far as I know, weight doesn't affect anything, though I may be wrong.

Taller guys don't have to jump , in the 3D graphics, which is just for us to enjoy the game . Does the number of height , play as a factor or parameter when two players go for air challenge and mayber other situation ? I mean ,if two plyaers , playing CD, with all the same attributes ,except the height , do they have all the same performance ?

10 minutes ago, songfeig said:

Do you have any in game clue that height affect the simulation ?Or experiment on two players with all same attributes except the height ?

If height plays a roll in the performance of a player like CD , why does the system not give us any hint or highlight when we pick up the role CD , like jumping reach ?

I feel I have read such hint when we loading the game. For highlight, they only highlight key attributes for a role, age/height/foot/experience/reputation and many others all have impact but wont be highlighted.

There seems no good way to test it apart of doing a statistic experiment, which I did not do. I think it would be best for SI to classify this.

2 minutes ago, doucong said:

I feel I have read such hint when we loading the game. For highlight, they only highlight key attributes for a role, age/height/foot/experience/reputation and many others all have impact but wont be highlighted.

There seems no good way to test it apart of doing a statistic experiment, which I did not do. I think it would be best for SI to classify this.

Yes , I agree. If these kind of things like age , has a role for the perfromance , at least , there should be some hint or explanation when we move our mouse to those attributs.

Height is used in the ME.

When a ball is in the air a player makes a decision whether to jump or not.  If he does Jumping reach (Highest point a player can get his head off the ground) is the relevant attribute, if not height is used.  In both cases its not simply down to one attribute but many others also come into play in terms of deciding the outcome.

As has also been said in the thread height also provides a lower & upper limit for jumping reach.

I don't know if weight is used in the ME but I'm pretty sure it has an impact on some of the attributes.  I don't know exactly which but if I was guessing it would be the physical ones as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

15 minutes ago, Pingdinho said:

Does height affect how far a GK can reach when stretching for the ball or diving? I always assumed so, but would be nice to confirm as I tend to ignore GKs below a certain height.

Good question, my understanding is aerial ability for GKs is the GK version of jumping reach & yes I know GKs have jumping reach as well.

Like you I would presume so but can't say I've ever seen it discussed.

3 hours ago, songfeig said:

Taller guys don't have to jump , in the 3D graphics, which is just for us to enjoy the game . Does the number of height , play as a factor or parameter when two players go for air challenge and mayber other situation ? I mean ,if two plyaers , playing CD, with all the same attributes ,except the height , do they have all the same performance ?

If both players jump, height isn't relevant. That's Jumping Reach that'll determine who can 'reach' higher with their head. But of course, positioning, anticipation etc will all play a part.

1 hour ago, Pingdinho said:

Does height affect how far a GK can reach when stretching for the ball or diving? I always assumed so, but would be nice to confirm as I tend to ignore GKs below a certain height.

54 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Good question, my understanding is aerial ability for GKs is the GK version of jumping reach & yes I know GKs have jumping reach as well.

Like you I would presume so but can't say I've ever seen it discussed.

The FM online manual can help a little here.

For Jumping Reach, it states "It indicates the highest point an outfield player can reach with his head."

I can only assume the reason a GK might have Jumping Reach still listed would be if they go up for a corner, make a header outside of the penalty area or if they get subbed on as an outfield player.

In terms of height affecting how far a GK can reach, again taken from the FM Manual for Aerial Ability: "Taller goalkeepers will typically have a higher rating here as they are naturally pre-disposed to being able to reach areas shorter goalkeepers cannot, but there will be exceptions."

Thanks for all the reply.

However, most of us believe , or think ,or feel height and weight play a role somehow in the game . No one provides actrual evidence , clue, or even observation in the game. By the way , I am talking about the FM game , not in real world.

I have tried to modified the height for the same player and I can hardly find any difference in the game and his performance . Maybe , the effect of those kind of attributes , are much much less important , compared to those rated from 1 to 20.

If someone , find out the same player with the only difference in height , taller one has better performance ,please tell me what you see in game and what kind of stats help you to find out the difference .

1 hour ago, songfeig said:

However, most of us believe , or think ,or feel height and weight play a role somehow in the game . No one provides actrual evidence , clue, or even observation in the game

This is what SI themselves say about it in their own FM16 Online Manual (full quote to expand on the extract I posted above):

"Jumping Reach reflects how good a player is at reaching the ball in the air. It indicates the highest point an outfield player can reach with his head. It is not necessarily reflective of how tall a player is, but when considering his jumping ability, it makes sense to take into account the player’s height. For example, a player of 200+cm will still possess a high reach even if he is a poor jumper, and a player who measures in at 170cm will struggle to compete at the same height due to the 30cm difference in height between the two."

So either SI aren't being truthful, or height does indeed have an impact on how high a player can reach.

If you still want to test it, modify all your players, and especially both your central defenders and goalie, to have a height of 160cm and Jumping Reach of 1 (Aerial Ability of 1 for the GK).  See how you get on defending or attacking crosses and set pieces.

Now modify them all again to have a height of 220cm, but still with a Jumping Reach (Aerial Ability) of 1.  See if you notice a difference.

7 hours ago, songfeig said:

Thanks for all the reply.

However, most of us believe , or think ,or feel height and weight play a role somehow in the game . No one provides actrual evidence , clue, or even observation in the game. By the way , I am talking about the FM game , not in real world.

I have tried to modified the height for the same player and I can hardly find any difference in the game and his performance . Maybe , the effect of those kind of attributes , are much much less important , compared to those rated from 1 to 20.

If someone , find out the same player with the only difference in height , taller one has better performance ,please tell me what you see in game and what kind of stats help you to find out the difference .

If you modified the height, but the Jumping Reach stayed the same, there will be very little difference. Jumping Reach is how high a player can reach/jump.

A short player won't be able to have 20 for JR. I'm not sure whether a tall player can have 1 for JR, but I suspect that to be the case as well. So height is a factor in determining the JR, but ultimately JR decides how high a player can reach by jumping.

If you're not seeing much difference in performance, there could be a million reasons why. Maybe there wasn't a lot of aerial balls to deal with? Maybe superior Positioning and Anticipation made up for it? Maybe his JR still exceeded the opposition striker's? You'd need to look at the context.

Archived