I HAve Never in my Life Come On Here But I am at My Wit's End.

Now that 16.3 is out, and they haven't fixed the unusually high success rate for AI scoring on crosses (usually within 2 minutes of my team scoring), how in God's name do I get my back four to protect the far post??????? Its like I concede 55 goals in a season and 49 of them are via the same play script. This is the worst ME I've seen since the 3D ME came into existence.

Now that 16.3 is out, and they haven't fixed the unusually high success rate for AI scoring on crosses (usually within 2 minutes of my team scoring), how in God's name do I get my back four to protect the far post??????? Its like I concede 55 goals in a season and 49 of them are via the same play script. This is the worst ME I've seen since the 3D ME came into existence.

Crazy idea but, perhaps you should adjust your tactic to defend against what they're doing to get that play script.

Crazy idea but, perhaps you should adjust your tactic to defend against what they're doing to get that play script.

OP is a poor rant with little information, he should post his full tactics if he wants constructive feedback. but what can you do to "defend the far post", exactly? Tell your defenders to sit on top of it? This is definitely a problem spot in FM at the moment.

Generally the only solution I've found to stop or diminish crosses and far post goals -> make your defensive line higher and press high.

OP is a poor rant with little information, he should post his full tactics if he wants constructive feedback. but what can you do to "defend the far post", exactly? Tell your defenders to sit on top of it? This is definitely a problem spot in FM at the moment.

Generally the only solution I've found to stop or diminish crosses and far post goals -> make your defensive line higher and press high.

I've opted to pack players near or in the box (Play Much Narrower) and allow for aggression of some sort (Close Down (Much) More, Get Stuck In). This way, I've negated most of those goals.

Put your full backs on maximum closing down and lower the closing down for both your centre backs. That way the fb's will do everything they can to firstly prevent the opposition winger from actually receiving the ball (they will try to intercept the pass to him) and secondly, from being able to put in a decent cross by way of hurrying him. Your cb's closing down will be reduced, thus stopping them from charging out and leaving the far post exposed, thus vulnerable to crosses.

As Jean and Franky pointed out, it can be done with tweaking and such. It's not some unstoppable thing in the ME. I had far more trouble with the keeper stuff they fixed than crosses.

Funnily enough, I had problems if I get my FB's to close down on max - they seemed to be skinned with ridiculous ease and then the inevitable cross was on it's way. Resolved when I started playing with WM's rather that AML/AMR Wingers or whatever - full backs arent as exposed and even when they get into the one on one's now something has changed in the math and they're not just skinned repeatedly

As for the original poster - is there anyone here who hasn't had those moments caused solely by this game? Granted - not particularly constructive post on his part - but I know where he's coming from - broken keyboards and ashtrays can attest

As for the original poster - is there anyone here who hasn't had those moments caused solely by this game? Granted - not particularly constructive post on his part - but I know where he's coming from - broken keyboards and ashtrays can attest

Actually a huge "problem" I had when I got FM16 was that my numpty non-league wingers and full backs were constantly putting in pin-point crosses for opposite wingers to tap in, making my games too easy. However, this was resolved in 16.02. That it doesn't happen too much against me is down, I think, to me utilizing realistic tactics, along the lines posters have already made.

I am currently playing with my back 4 setup like this:

Left Right

FB - S CD - D CD - C FB - A

I have both full backs set to play wider and tight mark. The right sided CD is set to cover so he drops a little deeper and cuts out balls played in behind. I'm not suggesting this is an idea setup but it seems to be working for me :-)

I am currently playing with my back 4 setup like this:

Left Right

FB - S CD - D CD - C FB - A

I have both full backs set to play wider and tight mark. The right sided CD is set to cover so he drops a little deeper and cuts out balls played in behind. I'm not suggesting this is an idea setup but it seems to be working for me :-)

That's an example of what I call 'realistic tactics'. Presumably you set up your D-line commensurate with the acceleration, positioning etc attributes of your defenders too.

It's quite simply false and condescending, to suggest you need to set up "unrealistic tactics" to witness a problem with too many conceded (and scored!) goals that are crosses to the far post easily tapped in. It's not happening to everyone but it's definitely happening to a lot of people. Though not to the extreme the OP is suggesting of 49 goals in 55, that's obviously BS exaggerating.

Happened to me a ton when I used to play with this tactic, for example. More scored than conceded. It was hilarious how many the IF would get on the back of crosses from my winger, opposition fullbacks were consistently oblivious to the fact they had a player attacking them from behind. Defensive-wise you'd think I'd have more problems behind my left-back as he was the more offensive of my fullbacks, instead it was the other way around, since I had little protection on that wing crosses came flying in from there, and my completely normal, FB/S on the other wing, seemed powerless to stop attackers from tapping in those crosses.

It's quite simply false and condescending, to suggest you need to set up "unrealistic tactics" to witness a problem with too many conceded (and scored!) goals that are crosses to the far post easily tapped in. It's not happening to everyone but it's definitely happening to a lot of people. Though not to the extreme the OP is suggesting of 49 goals in 55, that's obviously BS exaggerating.

Happened to me a ton when I used to play with this tactic, for example. More scored than conceded. It was hilarious how many the IF would get on the back of crosses from my winger, opposition fullbacks were consistently oblivious to the fact they had a player attacking them from behind. Defensive-wise you'd think I'd have more problems behind my left-back as he was the more offensive of my fullbacks, instead it was the other way around, since I had little protection on that wing crosses came flying in from there, and my completely normal, FB/S on the other wing, seemed powerless to stop attackers from tapping in those crosses.

Really have to point out noikeee that in that formation/tactic the IF is your main goal threat and you would expect him scoring the most goals.

The tactic is setup for the IF to attack the channel between DR & DCR and get into goal scoring positions.

EDIT

Despite that looking at your pic it shows the IFa only has 9 in 34 games while the CFs has 17 in 23. Unless your players are playing different positions from match to match or your IF has a poor conversion rate then its not a good example of the issue.

Yes, I understand that and it was designed that way, but when I had him scoring like 5 goals in 3 consecutive matches that were ALL exact copies of a tap-in to the far post from a cross by the right-winger, I had to start wondering whether I wasn't activating an exploit. Maybe not a huge exploit like the Diablo of back then, or the corner exploits of previous FMs etc etc, but still a combination of settings that was a little bit too happy and repetitive. And if you can pull it off, so can the AI managers under some settings (although not intentionally), which I've witnessed a little bit too often to be a coincidence too.

Happens under my most recent tactic, too. Again, it's by design as the WM/A is meant to be one of the biggest goal threats. Yet it's been a little wee bit too effective to have my team spending the whole game playing Moyes-ball with a single man on the area and still scoring a lot thanks to late runs by the WM/A to tap in those goals.

Of course I could just decide to not exploit the game and play other settings, but when you've spent seasons and seasons trying to get something working, it's hard not to settle on something that does.

That's an example of what I call 'realistic tactics'. Presumably you set up your D-line commensurate with the acceleration, positioning etc attributes of your defenders too.

I haven't any adjustment to the back line. I setup my team as standard mentality and leave the line normal. I don't currently setup my defence depending on attributes, I am still in my first season so haven't been able to change much. Now that i'm happy with the tactic I have made I will be buying players to fit within.

Archived