When the red, red, robin comes bob, bob, bobbing along!

Raware

Ilkeston - Pre-Season 2018/19

DCAfVB3.png

League expectation

-------------------------

Vanarama National League : Board expectation - Mid table position : Media expectation - 13th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 1st Round

FA Trophy : 2nd round

Transfer budget : £0k (£70k last season)

Wage budget : £9.2k p/w (last season £7.5k p/w)

Current wage bill : £9.5k p/w (last season £7.1k p/w)

Season tickets sold : 506 (+90 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : It seems like mid-table obscurity is everyone's aim this season as we're predicted to finish 13th while the board are wanting a mid table finish. Although we nearly snuck into the play-offs last season, I have to admit that I'm more than happy with what is expected of us this season and think that it's more than achievable for us. Although the board haven't given me a transfer budget this season, they have increased the wage budget available to me and with that, I've use it to bring in Curtis Morrsion for a 3rd successive season long loan and Charlie Jemson on a second successive season long loan while Jack Munns, Wes Harding, Jack Rose, Nathan Tella and Matthew Timms all join us on free transfers. I did try to get Micah Edwards back on loan from D*rby after a good loan spell with us last season but he refused to rejoin us so I opted to bring another D*rby youngster to the club as Gordon Burke joins us on a season long loan, meaning our squad looks like this for the new season.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great season!!!

Good luck this year

Awesome finish last year! I see a playoff finish this year!

Thanks fellas. We've made an ok start to the season and added a few more good signings to the squad :). We've also played our first game in our new stadium too which will hopefully see bigger attendances now along with a few extra quid :D

1JPpbuw.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ilkeston - Season Review 2018/19

DCAfVB3.png

Vanarama National League/Vanarama National League progress : Mid-table was everyone's aim for us this season including me, even though we were so close to the play-offs last season. We struggled to get going at the start of the season though and it was apparent that we needed some extra quality if we wanted to achieve our expectations. That extra quality proved to be real quality as throughout the rest of the season, we picked our form up and had an amazing season as we went on to claim the title by 15 points :D.

FA Cup : We had a great opportunity to make it to the 3rd round for a potential big team but we failed to turn up against Cambridge as they beat us 1-0.

FA Trophy : Given our league form and the rather fortuitous draw we had along the way avoiding the bigger non-league teams :D, we managed to go all the way and win the cup after beating Ebbsfleet in the final.

Transfers : We made 6 signings during pre-season (8 if you include the season long loan signings of Charlie Jemson and Curtis Morrison) which I thought might be enough, but I was proven to be wrong as we looked poor at the start of the season and quality additions were obviously needed...and quickly. So I brought in 12 more players over the course of the season as Anthony Wright, Ben Brereton, Nathan Thomas, Alex Bray, Ilias Chatzitheodoridis, David McAllister, John Cofie, Ash Kigbu, Taylor McKenzie, Keshi Anderson all joined us on free transfers while Robbie McDaid and Tom Brewitt both joined us from Sutton Coldfield on free transfers. We managed to make a bit of money too as we recouped £17.5k :D.

Squad : As I briefly touched upon, I thought the squad would've been strong enough at the start of the season with those 8 signings but we struggled to get going at the beginning of the season and quality additions were very much needed asap. We managed to bring in a lot of quality, more than I was expecting if I'm honest as most of the new players were at least up to League 2 standard. This was clear to see as the season went on as their quality shone through to help us romp home to the title :D. Once again, Curtis Morrison was our star player as he bagged 35 goals for us to finish as the clubs top scorer for the 3rd year in a row. His contract at Chesterfield is due to expire soon so I'm hopeful that we can get him permanently :D. Keshi Anderson also had a good season for us as he scored 17 goals in just over half a season while I was also delighted with the additions of both Ash Kigbu and Ilias Chatzitheodoridis who both came through the ranks at Man City and Arsenal respectively before being released.

Finances : Not great as we sit £400k in the red but the main reason for that is due to our Youth Facilities being upgraded at a cost of £650k so at least we're in debt for a good reason :).

My views of the season… : A superb season for us which saw us promoted to the Football League for the first time in the clubs history :D. People will say it was an unexpected promotion and while on the surface they'd be right, deeper down, the signings that we made throughout the season should've at least pushed us to finish in a play-off place.

My aims for next season… : Obviously avoiding relegation is the main aim but with this newly built squad and with a few more quality signings, there's no reason why we can't comfortably avoid a relegation battle.

Career Summary

Season     Team          League          	  Position         Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ilkeston    	 Vanarama North	     	    1st     (P)    League Winners
2017/18	   Ilkeston	 Vanarama National	    6th            -
2018/19	   Ilkeston      Vanarama National          1st     (P)    League Winners, FA Trophy Winners

Trophy Cabinet

Vanarama North - 2016/17
Vanarama National - 2018/19
FA Trophy - 2018/19

Ilkeston - Pre-Season 2019/20

DCAfVB3.png

League expectation

Sky Bet League Two : Board expectation - Avoid relegation : Media expectation - 23rd (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Carling Cup : Don't get outclassed

Johnstone's Paint Trophy : Don't get outclassed

Transfer budget : £30k (£0k last season)

Wage budget : £17.7k p/w (last season £9.2k p/w)

Current wage bill : £16.25k p/w (last season £9.5k p/w)

Season tickets sold : 1066 (+560 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : Obviously avoiding an immediate return to the Vanarama National League is the main aim for us this season but given the squad that we put together last season along with the arrivals that have joined us so far this season, I'm confident that we can easily avoid a relegation battle and maybe push for a mid-table finish :). Pre-season has seen us smash the clubs transfer record as we've brought in Jorge Grant for £28k (yes NF, another former Forest player :D) while Kaylen Hinds, Jake Kenyon, Ollie Banks and Adam Nditi have all joined us on free transfers. We've finally managed to bring in Curtis Morrison permanently after spending the past 3 seasons on loan with us which has seen him become the clubs all time record goal scorer while Charlie Jemson once again joins us on a season long loan for the 3rd successive season. One other signing we've made is probably our biggest one as Tyler Walker joins us from Forest after his contract expired (another ex-Forest boy NF...that's Jordan Smith, Charlie Jemson, Callum Chettle, Jack Blake, Jorge Grant and Tyler Walker :D although Ben Brereton has left us now) while Steve Chettle also joins our ex-Forest contingent as he joins as my new assistant manager.

The club is most definitely going in the right direction as along with the announcement at the end of last season that the clubs youth facilities were being upgraded, the board also announced that with us now in the Football League, we've turned pro :D.

interested to see how Tyler Walker goes. In my current save at Forest he plays a backup role in the Prem. All you need now are Oliver Burke and Alex Iacovitti. Kiwi Dylan Burns is the top youth prospect at NFFC but he never gets a work permit :(

Looks like everything's going pretty smoothly in here... great progress so far.
Good luck :thup:
Good luck in League Two!
Good to see you guys went pro. Can see a good midtable finish in your future
Well done getting promoted, good luck in the Football League. :thup:

Thanks fellas :thup:

Just noticed Steve Chettle is now AssMan at Ilkeston IRL...life imitates art?

KUTGW! :thup:

He is! I thought I'd bring him back along with his son Callum. I've also brought former Forest players Jermaine Jenas and Barry Roche to the club as part of my backroom staff. Trying to persuade Mark 'Big Norm' Crossley but he's having none of it.

interested to see how Tyler Walker goes. In my current save at Forest he plays a backup role in the Prem. All you need now are Oliver Burke and Alex Iacovitti. Kiwi Dylan Burns is the top youth prospect at NFFC but he never gets a work permit :(

It will be as he undoubtedly has the potential as does Jorge Grant. Tried getting Burns to join but like you said, I can't get a work permit and Olly Burke is available for loan but he won't join us :(. I might try and persuade Iacovitti in near future though if we can afford him :D.

Ilkeston - Season Review 2019/20

DCAfVB3.png

Sky Bet League Two/Sky Bet League Two progress : We were many people's tip for relegation this season but I felt we could at least push for a mid-table finish given the squad of players we had. We pushed even further than that :) as for a lot of the season we were in and around the play-offs as we even managed to occupy the automatic spots for some parts of the season :). But ultimately we finished 8th, just missing out on the play-offs on the last day of the season on goal difference :(.

FA Cup : An outstanding run for us in the FA Cup this year as we made it all the way to the 6th round, beating Manchester City along the way as well :eek: (don't ask me how!!!). In the end though, it was Stoke who halted our run as they comfortably beat us 3-1.

Carling Cup : Out at the first hurdle as Wigan sent us packing.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy : Another fantastic cup run for us as we were a whisker away from making it to Wembley but Mansfield beat us on away goals as they went on to win the trophy.

Transfers : We made 3 more additions to the 7 players we brought in during the summer as Charlie Gilmour joined us on a free transfer, Ryan Fulton joined us from Liverpool for £7k and Niall Mason joined us on loan for the last half of the season.

I also made some additions to my backroom staff as we increased our ex-Forest contingent by bringing in Barry Roche, Jermaine Jenas and Marlon Harewood as first team coaches.

Squad : I had faith that the squad would be more than capable of competing with the other teams in the league, however I was a little surprised with how well they competed as we missed out on the play-offs on the last day of the season on goal difference alone. The new additions to the squad proved to be more than adequate for this level as Charlie Gilmour and Curtis Morrison both had good seasons while Tyler Walker showed what a good striker he is as he netted 27 times for us to finish as the clubs top goal scorer for the season.

Finances : A bit of a mess really as at one point we were half a million in debt. Then our chairman decided to sell the club which saw new owners come in and immediately take out a loan. We're looking a bit more steady now though as we have over £600k in the bank.

My views of the season… : Another outstanding season which saw us overachieve once more, both in the league and in the cups with silverware and the play-offs coming so close. On a personal note, I must be doing something right as throughout the course of the season, I was offered 13 interviews form various League One, League Two and Scottish Championship sides...all of which I rejected.

My aims for next season… : A relegation battle seems a distant thought after just one season in the Football League and while I think we might be able to go one better and make another play-off push next season, the rest of the squad think a top half finish is a more realistic aim after our end of season meeting.

Career Summary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19	   Ilkeston      Vanarama National          1st     (P)    League Winners, FA Trophy Winners
2019/20    Ilkeston      Sky Bet League Two         8th            -

Trophy Cabinet

Vanarama North - 2016/17
Vanarama National - 2018/19
FA Trophy - 2018/19

So unlucky to miss out on the play-offs. :(

On the last day too :(. Probably shouldn't complain though especially as it was our our first season in the football league.

Great run to inject a bit of romance back into the cup :)

An unbelievable run for us which saw us teach Man City a lesson in football...well, not quite...but we hung on :D.

Ilkeston - Pre-Season 2020/21

DCAfVB3.png

League expectation

Sky Bet League Two : Board expectation - Top half finish : Media expectation - 12th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Carling Cup : Don't get outclassed

Johnstone's Paint Trophy : 2nd Round

Transfer budget : £50k (£30k last season)

Wage budget : £22k p/w (last season £17.7k p/w)

Current wage bill : £18.5k p/w (last season £16.25k p/w)

Season tickets sold : 1242 (+176 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : This time last year we were everyone's favourite for relegation but after over achieving and narrowly missing out on the play-offs on the last day of the season last year, relegation shouldn't even be something we have to think about this year. While we obviously came close to promotion last season, the board and chairman are only wanting us to finish in the top half of the league this season. While this takes the pressure of me as a manager slightly, I do think that we're capable of pushing for the play-offs once again this season, especially with the players we've brought in during the summer as Dion Conroy, Reece Wabara and Cameron Branagan all join us on free transfers. Charlie Jemson finally joins us permanently for a club record £45k after spending the last 3 seasons on loan with us while a long term target of mine, Oliver Burke joins us on a season long loan from Forest :D. That's 2 more players that join our ex-Forest contingent in the form of Jemson and Burke while Jonathan Greening and Paul Smith also join my ever increasing ex-Forest backroom staff as they join Steve Chettle, Jermaine Jenas, Barry Roche and Marlon Harewood :).

Ilkeston - Season Review 2020/21

DCAfVB3.png

Sky Bet League Two/Sky Bet League Two progress : Mid table was the aim this season according to the chairman and board but I had sneaky feeling that we could push for the playoffs after narrowly missing out on them last season. We went better than that :) as we romped home to the League Two title after leading it for over half a season, eventually finishing 22 points ahead of Chesterfield in 2nd place :D.

FA Cup : No fairytale FA Cup run for us this season as Leicester City easily disposed of us in the 3rd round.

Carling Cup : Man City made up for us embarrassing them last season in the FA Cup by sending us packing in the 2nd round of this competition.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy : Disappointed to go out in the 2nd round of this cup, especially after we came so close last season to making it to Wembley as Coventry City beat us 2-1.

Transfers : All of our signings came in the summer transfer window as Dion Conroy, Reece Wabara and Cameron Brannagan all joined us on free transfers, while Charlie Jemson joined us for a club record £45k and Oliver Burke joined us on a season long loan, both from Nottingham Forest.

Squad : The squad of players proved last season that they were more than capable of performing at this level as they just missed out on the playoffs, so with a few extra quality additions I knew that they'd have a chance of pushing for promotion this season. The new additions made an obvious improvement to our squad as Reece Wabara, Dion Conroy and Charlie Jemson all tightened up our defence as we conceded just 44 goals in the league (the least in the league) while the two attacking additions gave us a very serious attacking threat as Cameron Brannagan scored 4 goals whilst grabbing 10 assists and Oliver Burke notched 15 goals (from right wing! :eek:) and 18 assists! The obvious star player for us though was without a doubt Tyler Walker as he bagged 41 goals in 52 games taking him to 57 goals for the club in just 85 games! :eek:

Finances : Touch and go as we're hovering in and out of the red. We could do with higher gates next season and maybe a decent cup run just to give our finances a boost.

My views of the season… : I always felt that with a few quality additions to the squad we'd be able to make a push for promotion after a decent debut season in League Two last year. I wasn't however expecting us to be quite so dominant in the league :D.

My aims for next season… : Obviously avoiding an immediate return to League Two is the only objective especially after our rapid ascent up the leagues in the past 5 seasons. I've been given a little bit of money and an increase in the wage budget so if I can get in a few more quality additions, I think we should be able to avoid relegation next season.

Career Summary

2020/21    Ilkeston	 Sky Bet League Two	    1st	    (P)    League Winners

Trophy Cabinet

Sky Bet League Two  - 2020/21
FA Trophy           - 2018/19
Vanarama National   - 2018/19
Vanarama North      - 2016/17

Congrats on storming to the title :)
Smashing season. :thup:
Ridiculous title win. Congratulations!
Made it look easy. :thup:

Thanks guys :thup:

You'll be in the Premier League before you know it ;)

:D :D :D. Experience tells me though that League One is where I hit the glass ceiling. There's only so far you can progress before that gulf in quality becomes apparent.

There is a pattern developing of winning the league every other season.

By those calculations then I should be winning the Prem in 6 seasons :D :D :D

• 1 month later...
Continuing the silly rate of progress, well done.

Thanks noikeee :thup:. Had a close call with this save due to a poorly laptop which resulted in no laptop or FM for a few weeks and a reinstalled hard drive :(. Luckily though, I backed up the save on the cloud :D so I'll be able to get back on this :D *Phew...panic averted!

Ilkeston - Pre-Season 2021/22

DCAfVB3.png

League expectation

Sky Bet League One : Board expectation – Avoid relegation : Media expectation - 19th (out of 24)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Carling Cup : 1st round

Johnstone's Paint Trophy : Not important

Transfer budget : £250k (£50k last season)

Wage budget : £28.2k p/w (last season £22k p/w)

Current wage bill : £27.5k p/w (last season £18.5k p/w)

Season tickets sold : 2627 (+1385 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : Apologies for no screenshots due a laptop issue/hard drive re-install :( Obviously avoiding relegation is the only objective for us this season after winning promotion from League Two last year. To help us try and achieve that, the board have given me £250k to spend :) whilst also increasing the wage budget available to me by £6k :). Using that, I’ve smashed the club’s transfer record once again by bringing in Stephen McLaughlin for £165k from Chesterfield and Oliver Burke (who was on loan with us last season) on a permanent basis for £48k from Nottingham Forest. I’ve also utilised our new relationship with our new parent club, Norwich City by bringing in Sam Barden, James Cugley and Jayson Molumby, all on season long loans.

Thanks noikeee :thup:. Had a close call with this save due to a poorly laptop which resulted in no laptop or FM for a few weeks and a reinstalled hard drive :(. Luckily though, I backed up the save on the cloud :D so I'll be able to get back on this :D *Phew...panic averted!

Must be that time of year. My laptop is in the shop right now for locking up to the point I have to do a hard reboot.

I'm hoping it's just a case of it's been overheating.

Must be that time of year. My laptop is in the shop right now for locking up to the point I have to do a hard reboot.

I'm hoping it's just a case of it's been overheating.

Fingers crossed for you! You don't realise how much you rely on the laptop until you don't have it! Best thing about mine is that the guarantee ran out a week before it got poorly! Typical!

Ilkeston - Season Review 2021/22

DCAfVB3.png

Sky Bet League One/Sky Bet League One progress : Avoiding relegation was our only aim this season but that wasn’t even a thought for us as we once again adapted easily to a new league and massively over achieved as we spent most of the season in the top 6! We found some great form throughout the season which eventually led to us clinching a play-off place :eek: where we beat Leyton Orient over the semi final 2 legs, but ultimately fell at the last hurdle as Birmingham City beat us 1-0 in the play-off final.

FA Cup : Another 3rd round exit for us in the FA Cup, this time at the hands of Arsenal who were always going to be difficult to beat.

Carling Cup : Out in the 1st round again by what are beginning to be our bogey team, Wigan Athletic.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy : We came close to winning the JPT 2 years ago but fell at the area final stage. This season saw us clinch the JPT :D after going through to the next round twice on penalties and beating Portsmouth in the final :D

Transfers : We just made those 5 signings at the start of the season as we broke the clubs transfer record by bringing in Stephen McLaughlin for £175k from Chesterfield, Oliver Burke (who was on loan with us last season) for £48k from Nottingham Forest and James Cugley, Sam Barden and Jayson Molumby all on season long loans from our new parent club, Norwich City. Additionally, we made two further signings to our backroom staff as former Forest players Dorus De Vries and James Perch joined our ever growing ex-Forest contingent at the club :D :D :D.

Squad : I had my reservations at the start of the season about whether or not this squad of players were ‘up to the challenge’ of League One football but as it turned out, I shouldn’t of as they once again adapted to a higher league and showed that they were more than capable. Obviously, the addition of the new players, in particular Stephen McLaughlin and Oliver Burke, who scored 32 times between them from wide areas :eek:, was a big part of our success as were the goals of Tyler Walker, who smashed in 29 goals to once again finish as the clubs top scorer. Another part of our success I think though was utilising those two wide players, McLaughlin and Burke as I tweaked our tactics slightly by playing a more expensive style of football with more focus on wide and wing play. This was obviously dependant on McLaughlin and Burke staying fit as the system was catered for them but as it turned out, it seemed to work :D.

Finances : Looking ok as we’re comfortably in the black with the promise of a bigger wage and transfer budget for me next season :).

My views of the season… : Obviously delighted with how the season went despite losing in the play-off final. A promotion push wasn’t even an objective this season so to get where we got to is a massive bonus. Additionally, our success in the JPT which is something that is usually seen as a bit of distraction was very pleasing as any silverware is always welcome :D.

My aims for next season… : People will be expecting us to be pushing for promotion next season after the season we’ve had in League One this season but we have to be careful not to get ahead of ourselves. Yes, we were close to going up again this year but we have to remain realistic and where we’re at as a club so a mid table/top ten finish has to be the aim.

Career Summary

2020/21    Ilkeston	 Sky Bet League Two	    1st	    (P)    League Winners
2021/22    Ilkeston      Sky Bet League One	    4th		   JPT Winners

Trophy Cabinet

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2021/22
Sky Bet League Two       - 2020/21
FA Trophy                - 2018/19
Vanarama National        - 2018/19
Vanarama North           - 2016/17

Unlucky in the play-offs, good job winning the JPT though. :thup:

Thanks Rikulec :thup:. I'd normally be disappointed about losing in a play-off final but considering where we've come from in such a short space of time, I'm strangely happy that we lost as I don't think we're any where near Championship football. What's even stranger is that I'm actually happy about winning the JPT :D:).

Fingers crossed for you! You don't realise how much you rely on the laptop until you don't have it! Best thing about mine is that the guarantee ran out a week before it got poorly! Typical!

3 days later, the repair geeks are just as stumped as I am. So that's a great sign. :D

Also, well done on the Paint Pot trophy. :thup:

Archived