Getting sacked for applying for new jobs while employed

I used to be able to apply for new jobs in older fm's and just apologise to the board. Now it seems a lot more dangerous, get sacked alot for doing it. Is it possible to apply while employed without getting sacked now?

As messed up as relationships between managers/players and managers/board are this year, I would imagine it's always going to be risky to sniff around for a better job. I wouldn't do it without a significant "job security" (ie long-term contract at decent wages). This year, I haven't noticed as many updates where coaches are expressing interest in open jobs like they did in FM14. Maybe they know something?

It depends. if you're doing really really well at your club, like meeting the expectations then they will give you some leeway. You might see the press reporting that the bored hope they don't lose you. If you aren't doing so well they might just sack you

I still don't think its right that the board knows about every job you apply for - Sure it can get leaked but normally this would be a private matter.

Well yes, I agree with you. If you are a high profile manager with a high profile club then okay, fine. But if you are managing a semi-pro side in Scottish League 2, for example, and are looking to move to a Conference side, this should be a private thing in most cases.

I won the treble with Leixoes meaning my job security was Untouchable. I wanted to move on because I felt I had achieved everything in Portugal. I applied for a couple of jobs. They gave me the chance to either resign or apologise. I apologised, applied for a few more jobs. They asked me to attend a meeting basically saying "give me one good reason why we shouldn't fire you" I told them to think of the compensation they could get by keeping me...I got fired. So they do give you some leeway but don't take the mick!

What is the best way to go about getting a better job in a roaming save then? As I heard (and from experience) that you pretty much never get approached for job interviews now? In one long save I have a v low wage and have been very successful but I never get offered other jobs.

Said years before that it would be a good idea for the user/manager to have an agent option.... Privately to seek a new job without all this ultimatum nonsense

In the real world managers are tapped for jobs behind the scenes and some tapped up long before their contract expires... Needs serious consideration IMO to make the game more realistic

im currently in a long term save with Glasgow Rangers and have been asked a number of times to attend an interview for another club

attended a couple of premier league ones and both times i got a message from Rangers asking me to stay

Said years before that it would be a good idea for the user/manager to have an agent option.... Privately to seek a new job without all this ultimatum nonsense

In the real world managers are tapped for jobs behind the scenes and some tapped up long before their contract expires... Needs serious consideration IMO to make the game more realistic

Great shout!

This is against the rules of international professional football though, so if you apply for a new job, you can't do that in secret. FM follows "the book" - and rightly so, in my opinion. If FM allowed people to break or bend the governing rules, we would be on a very slippery slope indeed. And I also think a club board have every right to be very cross indeed if their manager apply for a job elsewhere, and it would be reason enough for a sacking, in my opinion. Depending on the manager's standing with the board, of course. A manager that the board is "delighted" with has more leeway to play with.

What is the best way to go about getting a better job in a roaming save then? As I heard (and from experience) that you pretty much never get approached for job interviews now? In one long save I have a v low wage and have been very successful but I never get offered other jobs.

I'm playing in Belgium right now, and while I was pushing for a better finishing position at the end of the season had 3 offers for lower positions in the same league or the league below. Why SURE, I'm going to dump my team to take over your team that's threatened with relegation...

I would guess that since you're under a contract, if another team wants to interview you they would have to make some sort of inquiry with your existing employer. Most sports leagues would consider it tampering otherwise.

In my Schalke game, Man U came in for me after I'd won the league in the 2nd season. Got a message from the board asking me to stay saying they'd basically offer anything and also to confirm that I wouldn't speak to any other clubs. Cool feature.

This is against the rules of international professional football though, so if you apply for a new job, you can't do that in secret. FM follows "the book" - and rightly so, in my opinion. If FM allowed people to break or bend the governing rules, we would be on a very slippery slope indeed. And I also think a club board have every right to be very cross indeed if their manager apply for a job elsewhere, and it would be reason enough for a sacking, in my opinion. Depending on the manager's standing with the board, of course. A manager that the board is "delighted" with has more leeway to play with.

This is true. However, One thing clubs can do is approach the current manager's club and ask for permission to speak to their manager. They may say no or they may negotiate a separate release and allow the player to talk to the club, similar to how a player is transferred. Would be a nice addition to the game.

I used to be able to apply for new jobs in older fm's and just apologise to the board. Now it seems a lot more dangerous, get sacked alot for doing it. Is it possible to apply while employed without getting sacked now?

Why are you worried about being sacked if you're going to leave the club anyway?

I don't really get that line of thinking. I'd imagine the whole reason you're applying for other jobs is that you want to leave the club you're at?

Actually, it's easier to land a job when you're unemployed anyway, as teams don't have to pay other teams compensation, etc. So do the decent thing when you want to move on. Just resign. Then you can apply to your heart's content.

Why are you worried about being sacked if you're going to leave the club anyway?

I don't really get that line of thinking. I'd imagine the whole reason you're applying for other jobs is that you want to leave the club you're at?

Actually, it's easier to land a job when you're unemployed anyway, as teams don't have to pay other teams compensation, etc. So do the decent thing when you want to move on. Just resign. Then you can apply to your heart's content.

Resigning is only a good strategy if you know you can land a job in a better club after relatively short time. Most people who change jobs are not actively looking to get away from their old job, they just found a better offer somewhere else

How much does it affect your reputation if you resign? If you were in League One and wanted a job at a Championship team and resigned, does the Championship team see that as a sign of weakness in resigning or as a sign of determination for the job, if you miss out on the job you will struggle to get a decent job even in League One after

Archived