The Ultimate Football Manager

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Turtle rumbles on! CT4pgn0.png

:lol:

Let me get this right. Is Wellington Phoenix a team from New Zealand which plays in the Australian league system....but if they win the league they will not represent Australia in the Continental competition?

But yeah, as we have discussed earlier in this thread, International trophies are definitely the most difficult to acquire. If I am not mistaken, nobody has managed to win one yet. I am now midway through my first Real Madrid season and have the World Cup upcoming with France. I am really excited, feel as though I have a decent chance with France. But we'll see!

Let me get this right. Is Wellington Phoenix a team from New Zealand which plays in the Australian league system....but if they win the league they will not represent Australia in the Continental competition?

Exactly. Even worse than that in fact, they're not affiliated to the Football Federation of Australia at all, so they don't even play in the Cup!

Wellington Phoenix FC - Season 2031/32

8XJB449.png

League | Schedule Part 1 & Part 2

Wellington Phoenix again finished 10th (last) in my second season in charge, but there are two great pieces of context to confirm my belief that we are making progress: firstly, on the day that the summer transfer window opened I hosted a press conference to unveil no fewer than thirteen (!) new signings, as we massively turned over our playing staff. At the opposite end of the campaign, I finished narrowly second in the race for the Manager of the Year award, quite special recognition for the manager of the basement club.

I have two thoughts about next season: certainly I will be developing our squad further, albeit with changes less radical than this season, but hopefully to add the depth which will protect us from the attacking injuries that saw us slide back below the two Aussie teams we'd led virtually all season. I'm also playing with the idea of a tactical innovation to try and deal with the Christmas Tree formation which is popular with a number of teams, but my ideas on this need some more work.

Career Summary

CLUB CAREER
                                          Cups
Season        Club                League   1st  2nd   Cont.    Other & Notes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15  RSA  Ajax CT             12th                         Took over with 3 games remaining, in 15th place
2015/16  RSA  Ajax CT                      R2   R1             Sacked after 16 games, in 16th place
2016/17  AUS  Wanderers           6th      QF                  
2017/18  AUS  Wanderers                    won                 Sacked after 22 games, in 10th place
2018/19  IND  Dempo                        GS                  Sacked after 19 games, in 11th place
2019/20  IND  Bengaluru           6th      SF   F                  
2020/21  IND  Bengaluru           2nd      won  F                       
2021/22  IND  Bengaluru           1st      GS   won   CC R2
2022/23  IND  Bengaluru           2nd      won  F     CL Q3E
2023/24  IND  Bengaluru                               CC QF    Resigned after CC QF defeat/before league season
2024     KOR  Jeju                5th      SF
2025     KOR  Jeju                8th      SF
2026     KOR  Jeju                8th      QF
2027     KOR  Jeju                         QF                  Left for Pohang job after 32 games, in 7th place
2027     KOR  Pohang              5th      won                 Took over with 6 games remaining, in 5th place
2028     KOR  Pohang                                  CL GS    Sacked after 16 games, in 5th place
2028     KOR  Jeonbuk             5th      SF                  Took over with 20 games remaining, in 7th place
2029     KOR  Jeonbuk                      R4                  Sacked after 35 games, in 7th place
2030     KOR  Jeju                                             Left for Wellington job after 16 games, in 4th place
2030/31  AUS  Wellington Phoenix  10th
2031/32  AUS  Wellington Phoenix  10th

LANDMARKS BY COUNTRY

Nat   League Win   Cup Win    Other Milestones
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUS                2017/18    2 x Manager of the Year (2016/17, 2017/18)
IND    2021/22     2020/21    Manager of the Year (2021/22), Hall of Fame (2022)
KOR                2027       All Star Game Manager (2027)

Saudi Arabia - 2032

eM3wJ9V.png

World Rankings | Schedule

Cosmin Olarolu's retirement from football in the summer of 2032 handed me an opportunity I'd been keeping an eye out for a while: my first international job. Saudi Arabia would pay me a whopping £18k a week to juggle their World Cup qualification effort with my responsibilities at Wellington Phoenix: and seriously challenge my sense of priorities given that was over seven times my club salary.

Over the next 174 days I won the first five games of the Final Stage of Asian World Cup Qualifying, giving a five-point lead at the halfway stage over second-place Iran and lifting us from 30th in the world when I took over to a tremendous 12th (which I had hoped to make 11th, but Paraguay were unavailable for a friendly game leaving us to play the highest-ranked country we could in our only exhibition game of the year, Cyprus).

Saudi Arabia look a decent little team: we have players who are regulars for PSV Eindhoven, Atletico Madrid and Galatasaray and I'd expect we'll be able to do something in Asian competition. The World Cup is obviously unlikely but featuring in it shouldn't be, and should be a nice boost to my reputation.

Career Summary

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                     FIFA Rankings
Year  Nation          Start  Finish     Other & Notes
2032  Saudi Arabia    30th    12th      Joined 11th July

Wellington Phoenix FC - Season 2032/33

8XJB449.png

My third A-League Manager of the Year award was definitely the hardest-won, guiding a cash-strapped Wellington Phoenix club to a finish just three points outside of the post-season playoffs. We have a decent squad, but it's not spectacular and it remains hard to imagine how this club can quickly compete much higher in the league (with my thinking here admittedly influenced by the lack of reward for doing so...)

I am regularly checking the Job Security page, desperately hoping either Perth Glory or Adelaide United will pull the trigger after their poor campaigns and recognise my trio of awards makes me the best candidate for their position.

If not, perhaps some heroics with Saudi Arabia will soon close the gap?

Career Summary

CLUB CAREER
                                          Cups
Season        Club                League   1st  2nd   Cont.    Other & Notes
2014/15  RSA  Ajax CT             12th                         Took over with 3 games remaining, in 15th place
2015/16  RSA  Ajax CT                      R2   R1             Sacked after 16 games, in 16th place
2016/17  AUS  Wanderers            6th     QF                  
2017/18  AUS  Wanderers                    won                 Sacked after 22 games, in 10th place
2018/19  IND  Dempo                        GS                  Sacked after 19 games, in 11th place
2019/20  IND  Bengaluru            6th     SF   F                  
2020/21  IND  Bengaluru            2nd     won  F                       
2021/22  IND  Bengaluru            1st     GS   won   CC R2
2022/23  IND  Bengaluru            2nd     won  F     CL Q3E
2023/24  IND  Bengaluru                               CC QF    Resigned after CC QF defeat/before league season
2024     KOR  Jeju                 5th     SF
2025     KOR  Jeju                 8th     SF
2026     KOR  Jeju                 8th     QF
2027     KOR  Jeju                         QF                  Left for Pohang job after 32 games, in 7th place
2027     KOR  Pohang               5th     won                 Took over with 6 games remaining, in 5th place
2028     KOR  Pohang                                  CL GS    Sacked after 16 games, in 5th place
2028     KOR  Jeonbuk              5th     SF                  Took over with 20 games remaining, in 7th place
2029     KOR  Jeonbuk                      R4                  Sacked after 35 games, in 7th place
2030     KOR  Jeju                                             Left for Wellington job after 16 games, in 4th place
2030/31  AUS  Wellington Phoenix  10th
2031/32  AUS  Wellington Phoenix  10th
2032/33  AUS  Wellington Phoenix   7th

LANDMARKS BY COUNTRY

Nat   League Win   Cup Win    Other Milestones
AUS                2017/18    3 x Manager of the Year (2016/17, 2017/18, 2032/33)
IND    2021/22     2020/21    Manager of the Year (2021/22), Hall of Fame (2022)
KOR                2027       All Star Game Manager (2027)

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                     FIFA Rankings
Year  Nation          Start  Finish     Other & Notes
2032  Saudi Arabia    30th    12th      Joined 11th July

I know that I'm a late ( Very Late) starter to this challenge but never the less I will persevere to attempt to contribute to the thread. Looking forward to a journeyman challenge attempting some of the other challenges but my head is always turned when other jobs come up! :o.

Anyway moving on, I've started this game loading up the South African, Malaysian & Australian Leagues ( no particular reason they just took my fancy). Only 3 top Division teams were available all from the South African league who didn't even offer me an interview. Then after checking the squad profile for 'Sabah FA' in the Malaysian Premier League , one player in particular took my eye and I had to get a chance to manager him in such a low league.

So here I am managing Sabah FA.

Manager ProfileHome_%20My%20Profile%20Profile-3_zpsbcbrsjfr.png"][/url]

Team Overview

El-Hadj Diouf Profile.

We are clear favourites to win the league, and hopefully I can romp to a very successful first season. Looking forward to getting started.

Also - I couldn't upload a picture to my post said something about not having privileges. Sorry I haven't posted much so its probably a stupid question. :o

( Very Late) starter to this challenge but never the less I will persevere to attempt to contribute to the thread. Looking forward to a journeyman challenge attempting some of the other challenges but my head is always turned when other jobs come up! :o.

Welcome to the challenge! Have fun, and good luck getting the best out of a "veteran" El Hadji Diouf!

As for your head being turned by other jobs: well, this challenge is good for that! There's lots you need to win so plenty of moving around is possible. (In fact, even if you don't win much, plenty of moving around is possible, as I'm demonstrating very well! :))

Also - I couldn't upload a picture to my post said something about not having privileges. Sorry I haven't posted much so its probably a stupid question. :o

The key is to link to the image instead of uploading it - if you click "Reply with Quote" on other peoples' posts you can see how they format theirs. My pictures are on imgur, but you can probably do exactly the same with photobucket - as you'll see, I link to some image pages, and directly use the images in other cases.

DC91-Good luck with Sabah. It's certainly true that most top division South African teams won't give newbies a job, but some will. I started off at Swallows, but by that point they were all but certain of relegation. (Can't remember if this is actually true, but it makes my keeping them up look good).

You're not late at all. I think this will be a rolling challenge anyway, in the sense that it seems unlikely that anybody would achieve it in one year. I hope that people will continue with it even when FM16 comes out, although that seems unlikely.

I may have no choice in the matter as it is near impossible to buy FM in China. My plan is definitely to give this 2 years.

Anyway, you'd be surprised how recently Normandy Wept started this challenge.

NW - You seem to suggest that Wellington are a minnow. Is your wage budget noticeably smaller than other teams in the division? How do you win Manager of the Year? (Sorry if this sounds a barbed question). Anyway, even if through serendipity, you're making good headway. Hope you get a better job soon, and it will be interesting to see if you can do anything to get Wellington to sack you. Finish bottom of the league, check. Apply for every other job, check.

I didn't realise that Saudi Arabia was a playable national team. Which loaded league is making it playable, I wonder. Anyway, good luck. I think they may always have a shot at the Asian cup. They've finished runner-up once in my save, (and of course had success prior to 2015). Your world ranking is amazing. I'm guessing they must have won the latest Asian Cup. South Korea are now ranked 43rd after the world cup debacle.

It's true that nobody has yet won a challenge-eligible international trophy. The race is on between Burtur and myself, though NW may get through 4 or 5 Asian Cups before either of us get a chance.

Anyway, you'd be surprised how recently Normandy Wept started this challenge.

Yep, my second effort has been going on a deceptively short amount of time! I've been getting through about a season a day on average, a bit more at weekends. Now, as I already admitted, this is in large part because it's on Classic Mode so I don't have to do press conferences, team talks, or squad registration. I've also both been playing an awful lot (again, weekends especially, but also many hours each evening), and also using a deliberately 'quick' manner when I've been in "dead" seasons as I see them: once I'm in one of these, I turn down from extended highlights, play meaningless/dead rubber games using the 'Instant Result' button, etc. etc. I suspect to some people I am a heathen, but at the moment I've got the buzz for this challenge and I want to see how the career shapes out. I do expect to play slightly more in-depth when I'm at the clubs I will compete for Champions League titles with. But I appreciate this isn't a playing style everyone wants to have, so there you go, a bit of honesty and you can take it how you like :)

You seem to suggest that Wellington are a minnow. Is your wage budget noticeably smaller than other teams in the division?

I definitely consider them a minnow: I have never had a transfer budget to speak of here, so I've been relying on free transfers and the odd (very) budget signing. Title odds for my team have been 150-1, 100-1 and 80-1 the last three seasons, so the media recognise that the squad has improved but consider it much weaker than everyone else's! (At Jeju we were also a bit financially weak, but I was still usually 4-1 or something like that.) 7th this year ended a run for Wellington Phoenix of eight consecutive 10th-placed finishes. Before that they finished 7th-10th for six seasons before that. Toward the beginning of the game it does look they did slightly better: they were even runner-up in season one!

You're right that I hadn't really validated beyond that whether I was truly a small team, so I'm just checking now. My wage budget is £38,712 per week. I can't find a screen in Classic which lists it for the other teams in the league, but there is one that shows average wage and on there I am at £1,100pw and Melbourne Victory are the highest at £2,900pw. So perhaps not a mega disparity, but it's hard to compete with the top clubs for sure. The other clubs also do seem to have larger squads than me, so the total may have a slightly bigger discrepancy than the average, if that makes sense.

How do you win Manager of the Year? (Sorry if this sounds a barbed question).

I don't know how I win it, some seasons I just get given an award at the end! :)

I have won four Manager of the Year awards in total in my career, three of them in Oz:

• Wanderers 16/17 (finished 6th) - Guess I was the overacheiving team in that year? Not sure exactly but it was a solid performance so if most of the rest of the league went "as predicted", this isn't that surprising
  • Wanderers 17/18 (won Cup, sacked en route to 10th) - This one is probably the most dubious one, I guess it's down to a surprise Cup win when we weren't fancied to go beyond QFs. I was actually in a different job by the time it was awarded, so who knows. I wasn't complaining though, they gave me the award and I accepted it :p
  • Bengaluru 21/22 (league and cup double, knockout stages in continental competition) - obvious candidate for an award after a great season
  • Wellington 32/33 (finished 7th) - again, this feels right, I'm a massive underdog, 80-1 for the title, and managed to finish 7th, with some fantastic counter-attacking wins against big teams expected to beat us. I didn't get it for either of the seasons where the results weren't as good and we finished 10th

it will be interesting to see if you can do anything to get Wellington to sack you. Finish bottom of the league, check. Apply for every other job, check.

At Wellington I have only applied for two jobs, and one of these was Saudi Arabia which I got. Other clubs have definitely sacked me for applying for a few jobs in quick succession, so I'm trying to be more selective. Australia has also been a bit stable since I've been here, but there are two or three jobs which may come up soon and I'll have to pick how to handle that to avoid ending up unemployed again.

The fans are generally pretty happy just to see us produce two or three results a season along the lines of 3-1 away to big teams. Not the highest expectations at this club! But like I say, maybe they won't be impressed if I start acting very disloyally. We'll have to see.

I didn't realise that Saudi Arabia was a playable national team. Which loaded league is making it playable, I wonder. Anyway, good luck. I think they may always have a shot at the Asian cup. They've finished runner-up once in my save, (and of course had success prior to 2015). Your world ranking is amazing. I'm guessing they must have won the latest Asian Cup. South Korea are now ranked 43rd after the world cup debacle.

Saudi Arabia won the Asian Nations Cup in 2015, but have been in the Final or winner of the Third Place Playoff every time since. They have been to three of the four World Cups during the save, and in 2018 they even got out of the group. So I guess yes, they have been steadily achieving at a very high level in Asia. The world ranking was 30 when I took over, and winning every game up until the Confederations Cup of course kept me moving up at a time when other continents probably weren't as active in competitive games. I just played the Confederations Cup and, as you'll see in my next update, being in a group with Germany and Chile was certainly a big wake-up call for the dubious FIFA Ranking system and it's claim that we were the 10th best team in the world! :)

Now here's something weird: I just looked at the A-League Manager of the Year history, and apart from the first two seasons of the game, the Wanderers FC manager has finished 1st or 2nd in Manager of the Year every single year. So whoever selects the winner of that award clearly has a big thing for Western Sydney Wanderers!

Yep, my second effort has been going on a deceptively short amount of time! I've been getting through about a season a day on average, a bit more at weekends. Now, as I already admitted, this is in large part because it's on Classic Mode so I don't have to do press conferences, team talks, or squad registration. I've also both been playing an awful lot (again, weekends especially, but also many hours each evening), and also using a deliberately 'quick' manner when I've been in "dead" seasons as I see them: once I'm in one of these, I turn down from extended highlights, play meaningless/dead rubber games using the 'Instant Result' button, etc. etc. I suspect to some people I am a heathen, but at the moment I've got the buzz for this challenge and I want to see how the career shapes out. I do expect to play slightly more in-depth when I'm at the clubs I will compete for Champions League titles with. But I appreciate this isn't a playing style everyone wants to have, so there you go, a bit of honesty and you can take it how you like :)

You're right that I hadn't really validated beyond that whether I was truly a small team, so I'm just checking now. My wage budget is £38,712 per week. I can't find a screen in Classic which lists it for the other teams in the league, but there is one that shows average wage and on there I am at £1,100pw and Melbourne Victory are the highest at £2,900pw. So perhaps not a mega disparity, but it's hard to compete with the top clubs for sure. The other clubs also do seem to have larger squads than me, so the total may have a slightly bigger discrepancy than the average, if that makes sense.

:)

I hope that you didn't read anyting I wrote as a criticism of your playing style. I'm delighted that you're playing so quickly. I'm enjoying reading about your exploits. What's more, I'm keen for this challenge / thread to thrive, and your updates are playing a big part in that. One of the main reasons I like this challenge is because there are different ways to do it. early on most of us started in South Africa, but then burtur re-wrote the book on that methodology.

As for speed, I play the game very slowly because it fulfils my psychological needs to do it that way. I'm interested in stats, and like spending a lot of time micro-managing. The whole reason there's a classic mode is because others enjoy doing things differently. I wouldn't mean to suggest that one mode is more valid than another.

As for sackings and failure, that's a part of the challenge. That's sort of why I instigated the sacking challenge. I'm keen for us to celebrate our failures as well as our successes. After all, it's not as though it's possible to fail this challenge, and it's going to be pretty difficult to succeed, so all that's left is for us to share the journey in all it's likely futility.

However, that is not a wage difference. In the Bundesliga Bayern's wage bill is £176 million per annum. Berlin KD's is 9.38, so about a twentieth. Incidentally, my team, Dortmund, could have as big a wage bill as Bayern's, (bigger actually) but I'm only using a bit over half my wage budget at the moment.

• 2 months later...

2060 - Spain

7DLaCGT.png

Schedule | World Rankings

This year was about winning the Euros, a challenge landmark which would also put me in the running for another, the Confederations Cup. Having been focusing on Monaco for much of the year, we played only one game before the tournament, a 3-1 victory over Cyprus that told us absolutely nothing.

Far more informative was the opening game, winning 3-0 over a promising Czech Republic side to confirm our status as one of the favourites. Austria were duly dispatched in game two, scoring a great goal of their own in injury time to make the contest look closer than it was, and the reserve side suffered a surprise 2-1 reverse to Bulgaria with our progress to the knockout rounds long confirmed. (I'm really not sure the expansion of the Euros to 24 teams, as is happening for the next tournament in real life, is really very good for its overall quality, and it seems to have the same problems with dramatic tension in the groups that the old 24-team World Cup formats did, but never mind.)

It took extra time to squeeze past Ukraine in the first of the knockout matches - although in truth it rarely looked a game we would lose except perhaps if they'd held on to take it to the lottery of penalties. A 1-0 win over Belgium was virtually routine and sent us into the last four.

England having been surprisingly eliminated despite having been a dangerous international force recently, that left the rivals for the tournament as France, who I faced in the Semi, and I assumed Germany as Final opponents as they would surely overcome tournament surprise package Scotland in the other game in the last four.

France were difficult opponents but again we kept them at arm's length with a solid display that was a carbon copy of that against Belgium, albeit this time with a late second to add some gloss. Cue a moment of incredible surprise: the Tartan Army had prevailed against Germany, and would look for one last upset.

As I mentioned in the previous update, however, we were the host nation for this tournament and at a packed Camp Nou the Scots were finally out of shocks. A routine 3-0 may have been anti-climactic for watching neutrals, but I still celebrated. I'm now short just the Copa America and the Confederations Cup on the international side of the challenge, and will try to avoid a repeat of vikeologist's recent experiences in the latter in the upcoming tournament in 2061.

Season 2060/61 - Roma

TFa56yz.png

League | Schedule Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3

In the aftermath of the Euros, a change in Italy manager allowed me to join my third Italian club - a controversial one in AS Roma, given that I had previously managed Lazio.

My late arrival into a club with debt and squad depth issues resulted in a frantic summer focused around loan acquisitions. We did OK out of this, growing into the season nicely, gradually outpacing the chasing Sampdoria/Chievo to secure a top four finish and Champions League again. We also set my personal best in the UEFA Champions League, reaching the Quarter Final before a first leg disaster saw Arsenal dump us out. On reflection I was pleased with the season overall with the possible exception of the Italian Cup, where our lack of depth was telling with a heavily rotated squad unable to produce a single win.

During the year we sold several players for big fees and worked toward a competitive squad in 2061/62. I'm particularly pleased with the acquisition of young Chelsea striker Luther McCammon (who has no regen face, so let's just assume he's played by Idriss Elba) for just £4.7m in January.

I've made a better start here to rebuilding the team whilst meeting the minimum of Champions League football every year. Hopefully I can continue, and grow consistency in our results in a similar manner to in Monaco. On paper Juventus look as monstrous as PSG, but they didn't finish in the Champions League places in the previous (2059/60) campaign, so if there are some underlying issues then hopefully I can take advantage.

Challenge Progress

Club

5/10 top domestic leagues (ARG, FRA, IND, KOR, USA)

6/10 domestic cups (AUS, BRA, FRA, IND, KOR, MEX)

4/5 club continental championships (Africa, Asia, N.Am., S.Am.)

1/1 club world championship

International

4/5 continental tournaments (Africa, Asia, Europe, N.Am.)

1/2 world tournaments (WC)

Seasons

CLUB CAREER
                               Leagues        Cups
Season        Club           1st      2nd    1st  2nd   Cont.   CWC   Other & Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15  RSA  Ajax CT        12th                                     Took over with 3 games remaining, in 15th
2015/16  RSA  Ajax CT                         R2   R1                 Sacked after 16 games, in 16th
2016/17  AUS  Wanderers       6th             QFGarcia
2017/18  AUS  Wanderers                       won                     Sacked after 22 games, in 10th
2018/19  IND  Dempo                           GS                      Sacked after 19 games, in 11th
2019/20  IND  Bengaluru       6th             SF   F
2020/21  IND  Bengaluru       2nd             won  F
2021/22  IND  Bengaluru       1st             GS   won  CC R2
2022/23  IND  Bengaluru       2nd             won  F    CL Q3E
2023/24  IND  Bengaluru                                 CC QF         Resigned after CC QF defeat/before league season
2024     KOR  Jeju            5th             SF
2025     KOR  Jeju            8th             SF
2026     KOR  Jeju            8th             QF
2027     KOR  Jeju                            QF                      Left for Pohang after 32 games, in 7th
2027     KOR  Pohang          5th             won                     Took over with 6 games remaining, in 5th
2028     KOR  Pohang                                    CL GS         Sacked after 16 games, in 5th
2028     KOR  Jeonbuk         5th             SF                      Took over with 20 games remaining, in 7th
2029     KOR  Jeonbuk                         R4                      Sacked after 35 games, in 7th
2030     KOR  Jeju                                                    Left for Wellington after 16 games, in 4th
2030/31  AUS  Wellington     10th
2031/32  AUS  Wellington     10th
2032/33  AUS  Wellington      7th
2033/34  AUS  Wellington                                              Left for Perth after 4 games, in 6th
2033/34  AUS  Perth           9th                                     Took over with 23 games remaining, in 10th
2034/35  AUS  Perth           7th
2035/36  AUS  Perth           5th/SF
2036/37  AUS  Perth                                                   Left for Seoul after 12 games, in 2nd
2037     KOR  Seoul           1st             SF        CL won  3rd
2038/39  MEX  Chivas          6th/SF  3rd/ F  QF  won
2039/40  MEX  Chivas         11th     2nd/QF            CL won
2041     USA  New York        1st/won         R4
2042     BRA  Internacional   5th     1st/won won                     Reached 1,000 games in management
2043     BRA  Internacional           1st/won SF        CL QF         Left for Lanus after 34 national games, in 7th
2044     ARG  Lanus           6th             R5        CS P2E
2045     ARG  Lanus                           R5                      Left for Velez after 15 games, in 11th
2045     ARG  Velez           4th/1st                   CS QF    F    Took over with 14 games remaining, in 1st
2046     ARG  Velez           5th/4th         R7        CL won   won
2047     ARG  Velez           1st             R7        CL QF
2049/50  FRA  Monaco          4th             F   R4    EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2050/51  ITA  Inter           4th             F         EL KR2
2051/52  ITA  Inter                                                   Sacked after 16 games, in 14th
2051/52  ITA  Lazio           8th                                     Took over with 21 games remaining, in 12th
2052/53  ITA  Lazio                                                   Sacked after 5 games, in 17th
2054/55  RSA  Wits           10th                 R1                  Took over with 12 games remaining, in 13th
2055/56  RSA  Wits                            R1  R1    CL won   5th  Left for Valencia after 29 games, in 8th
2056/57  ESP  Valencia        7th             R5        EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2057/58  FRA  Monaco          3rd             SF  F     EL won
2058/59  FRA  Monaco          2nd             SF  R4    EL F
2059/60  FRA  Monaco          1st             won QF    CL R1
2060/61  ITA  Roma            3rd             R1        CL QF

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Rank         Cups
Year  Nation           FIFA  NL   World  Cont.       Other & Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2032  Saudi Arabia      12                           Joined 11th Jul, 29th in FIFA Rankings
2033  Saudi Arabia      25
2034  Saudi Arabia      49         GS
2035  Saudi Arabia                        won        Resigned 4th Feb, 38th in FIFA Rankings
2036  Norway            61   C                       Joined 27th Jul, 54th in FIFA Rankings
2037  Norway            57
2038  Norway            44   B
2039  Norway            39                           Resigned 14th Nov, 39th in FIFA Rankings
2042  Tunisia           36                           Joined 20th Jul, 42nd in FIFA Rankings
2043  Tunisia                             GS         Resigned 27th Jan, 37th in FIFA Rankings
2047  South Africa      22                           Joined 17th Feb, 10th in FIFA Rankings
2048  South Africa      19
2049  South Africa                        won        Resigned 7th Feb, 19th in FIFA Rankings
2049  USA               14                           Joined 1st Aug, 9th in FIFA Rankings
2050  USA               19         GS
2051  USA                                 won        Resigned 30th Jul, 31st in FIFA Rankings
2052  Spain              9                           Joined 21st Jul, 7th in FIFA Rankings
2053  Spain             10  won                      Reached 1,500 games in management
2054  Spain              1         won               Left for Brazil 2nd Aug, 1st in FIFA Rankings
2054  Brazil            14                           Joined 3rd Aug, 13th in FIFA Rankings
2055  Brazil            15                GS
2056  Brazil             2
2057  Brazil             6
2058  Brazil                       R1                Sacked 15th Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings
2058  Spain              8   A                       Joined 21st Jul, 8th in FIFA Rankings
2059  Spain             18
2060  Spain              2                won

Vikeologist's 2041 Bahia & Holland End of Season Report Report

th?id=JN.wfbc9OHuvLRQkTfsTDwllw&pid=15.1&P=0

I said I'd never get a Brazilian (club) but Bahia presented an opportunity that couldn't be passed up.

They were 2nd in the league, and only goal difference separated us from top spot.

We were in the semi-finals of the Libertadores, and had a lead from the first leg.

Unfortunately being unemployed for a year meant that I wasn't able to scout the club properly before taking over. I had to go in sight unseen. The club had some pretty decent players, but what it didn't have were any good wingers, or in fact any decent wingers. I managed to buy a left winger before the transfer deadline, but soon decided that I was going to have to adopt a tactic that used the players that I had, which meant that my expensive new signing spent the rest of the season on the bench.

My only good goalkeeper was injured for the second leg. Boca squeezed past us and won the competition.

We managed to throw away a 2 goal lead in the last 10 minutes and concede 3 goals in the Brazilian Cup semi-final. We couldn't get past an apparanrly weak Godoy cruz team in the Sudamerica; doubly frustrating for me as I'm a Godoy Cruz fan and would like to manage them in the challenge if the chance arose, (but the fact that they have only 1 good player, and no prospects puts me off a lot).

In the league we were terrible, and soon drifted a long way adrift of the 3 leaders. This didn't matter too much, because I only wanted to finish in the top 4 and qualify for the Libertadores group stage. At the end of the season we won 7 games in a row, followed by a draw in the season closer, to draw close to the leaders but still finish 4th. I've bought a right winger at the end of the season, and we have lots of exciting youth prospects, most of whom I couldn't use at all because thee seems to be some age restriction which isn't in the rules for the league.

The trouble is that even just playing the last two thirds of division 1, I'm bored stiff, so I'm not looking forward to the 273 game (approx.) season next year. Maybe it's just post-Confederations Cup blues. It's noticeable that Burtur has disappeared since France screwed the same pooch.

However, there have been no vacancies at PSG, Chelsea or the very few other clubs that I want to manage at, so I guess I'm going to stay at Bahia for the moment. Maybe.

Holland qualified for the World Cup. Some matches we're our old self, other times we're bad. It actually took us till the last match of the group to secure 1st place. We drew away to Albania, which sounds bad, but they finished second in the group, and are ranked quite highly. However we lost to Georgia in our penultimate game (having won 10-1 the previous time we met them in qualifying). this meant that we had to get at least a draw at home against Albania. Otherwise we'd have to go via the playoffs. We won quite comfortably, but make no mistake, the loss to Georgia was horrible. It's not that we were ever unbeatable. I think we've lost a match in each of the 3 tournament finals we've played in. But Georgia!!! Not good.

Still, we are in the World Cup. As long as we win it or the European championship, (and thus are in the Confederations Cup) I'm going to stay. 3rd time lucky.

Season	Team			Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
14/15	Swallows(South Africa)	14th		Took over after 14 (of 30)games in 16th bottom position. Dodged relegation.
15/16	Swallows		12th		South African FA Cup winner. Continental qualification.				1 domestic cup
16/17	Swallows		3rd		Champions League qualification
17/18	Swallows		3rd	
18/19 	Swallows & Kaizer Chiefs2nd		Quit Swallows mid-season. Took over Kaiser Chiefs with 9 games of the season left
19/20	Kaizer Chiefs/ChU23	2nd		Won 2 domestic cups.
20/21	Kaizer Chiefs / China	2nd		Lost in Champions League Final on away goals
21/22	Kaizer Chiefs/China	1st		Lost in Champions league semi-final. Won 36 straight matches and East Asia Cup	1 domestic league
22/23	Kaizer Chiefs/ China	n/a		Won African Champions League. Humiliated nation of China.			African Champions League
2023	Seoul			1st		Won South Korean League								2nd domestic league
2024	Seoul / Brazil U23	3rd		Won FA Cup									2nd domestic cup
2025	Cruz Azul		9th		Won FA Cup (Opening Stage). Then I was sacked.					3rd domestic cup
2026	Chivas			2nd		Manager for one match. Lost title in extra time of 2nd leg of league final.
26/27	Chivas /Ivory Coast	6th/1st		Won NACL. Lost Closing stage final of Mexican 1st Div (again)			NACL
27	Chivas / Ivory Coast	5th		Lost in Opening Stage semi-final and resigned after CWC Q/F
28	Dalian / Ivory Coast	11th		Lost in FA Cup Final / Lost in 2029 ACON Q/F
29	Guangzhou / Egypt	1st		League / Cup double. Qualified for World Cup					4th cup, 3rd league
30	Guangzhou/Egypt/USA	1st		League / Champions League double						Asian Champions League
31/2	Hertha Berlin		6th		German Cup losing finalists. Qualified for UEFA Cup
32/33	Hertha Berlin/S Korea	6th		UEFA Cup losing finalists. 
33/34	HB/ SK/ Dortmund	6th		Moved team after 12 games. Won East Asia Cup again, this time with Korea.
34/35	Dortmund / SK / Egypt	1st		League and cup double. Quit South Korea after AC Q/F ignomy			5th cup, Bundesliga
35/36	Dortmund / Colombia	2nd		German cup winners.
36/37	Barcelona / Colombia	2nd		CL Q/F. 	Confederations Cup Finalists 					CWC
37/38	Barcelona / Holland	1st		League, Cup, Champions league treble. World Cup with Holland.			Euro Champions League, 6th cup, Spanish league. World Cup.
38/39	AC Milan / Holland	2nd		Italian Cup winners. Champions League losing finalists 				7th cup
39/40	AC Milan / Holland	1st		League and cup double. Won European Championship				Serie A
41	Bahia / Holland		4th		Unemployed for a year. Lost in Confederations Cup Final (again) Brazil zzzz

Challenge Progress

Club
6/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa, S Korea, China, Germany, Spain, Italy)
7/10 domestic cups (South Africa, S Korea, Mexico, China, Germany, Spain, Italy)
4/5 club continental championships (Africa, North America, Asia, Europe)

International
1/5 continental tournaments (European Championship)
1/2 world tournaments (World Cup)

The Earls Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

Season 2021/22 – Manchester City / France

The season started off with Nations League with France. We won comfortably 2-0 against England in the semis, and then overcome favorites Spain in the final 2-1.

In the meantime I quit Roma after achieving everything, but all clubs seemed to have hired a new manager already, until suddenly Man.City became available. They had won Europa League (thus qualifying for Champions League) but only finished 5th in the Premier League and sacked their manager. I got the job, and a hefty 5M pound wage budget and 165M pound transfer budget!!!

Off to France first, qualifying for World Cup we where gonna play Norway, Finland, Bosnia and Liechtenstein. Not much to say about these games as it was 8 straight wins. Most notably 8-0 away to Norway, poor Martin Ødegård.

Board expectations Man.City: Qualify for Champions League through league participation, reach final of FA-Cup, reach quarter final of Champions League.

Board expectations France: Qualify easily for the World Cup, then reach semifinals of World Cup.

Back to Man.City we did some big signings during the summer. 3 players followed from Roma, Zakaria El Amrani, midfielder Fernando Bovo, and Lionel Messi became the most expensive 34 year old footballer of all time when he signed for nearly 50M pounds. My own goals was obviously to win the Premier League, both cups and then Champions League would just be a bonus. During midseason we also signed Toni Kroos.

We started off really well and hardly slipped up a point in the league until we met Everton in late november and got our first loss of the season. We had won the Euro Super Cup beating my former team Roma 2-0. League Cup first we won 4-0 against Hull in the 3rd round. 3-1 against Wigan in the 4th round was followed by 2-1 against Ipswich after extra time in the quarter finals. In the semifinals we got a lucky draw and played MK Dons over 2 legs. 5-2 on aggregate with a heavily rotated team. Eventually we needed penalties to win against Chelsea in the final.

Chelsea was the only team to really annoy me in England. Halfway through the season they had finally slipped up and we opened a comfortable 14 points lead. But in the last 18 games Chelsea never lost, and only drew 4 games winning 14. Good for me that my team was in perfect form, and did one better, winning 15 and just drew 3 games with no losses. In the end we won the league with 103 points, 16 points clear of Chelsea.

In the FA-Cup we met Doncaster in the 3rd round and won easily 4-1. In the 4th round we met Chelsea already, and they scared me really we only managed 1-1 at home. Away at the Bridge we held on for a mere 1-0 victory and ready for the 5th round. Once again lucky with the draw and Bournemouth was smashed aside 8-0. Quarter finals saw another cup-tie against Ipswich, this time comfortable victory 4-1. Swansea on the other side of the pitch at Wembley for the semis 3-1 and we where in the finals. Everton was the opponent in the final, the only english team to beat us this season. We where up 5-1 at half-time and cruising when Everton started to pull back. 5-4 the game ended and a 3rd challenge trophy this season.

In Champions League we lost a game to Dortmund in the group stage, but qualified easily. Bayern München was beaten 4-3 on aggregate in the 2nd round. Real Madrid a smashing 8-2 in the quarter finals, and Porto 9-1 in the semis. In the final once again Chelsea on the other side. Yet again it went to penalties and this time Chelsea won. The only title I didn't win with Man.City this season, but it didn't hurt my feelings too much.

Star players:

Top goalscorer: Z.El Amrani - 72 goals

Top performer: Z.El Amrani - 7,96 Av.r.

Top assists: L.Messi - 43 assists

After the season I quit Man.City and started looking for other jobs, while I went to World Cup preparations with France.

I played 3 friendlies in the upcoming to the World Cup. First we beat Qatar away to get a feeling of the climate. 4-0 was the score. Then Japan was beaten 2-0 but we lost to Scotland 4-3 and I feared my players where to exhausted to do well.

The World Cup itself saw us having almost maximum luck with the draw.

Group match 1: France - Wales 4-2

Goals came early as we where 3-0 up. Neal Maupay (newgen) scored twice.

Group match 2: France - South Korea 2-0

Kingsley Coman scored twice in the first half as we put on cruise control in the second half.

Group match 3: France - Mali 3-0

We rotated 10 out of 11 players to get some rest, and still cruised in after 2-0 at halftime.

Second round: France - Chile 2-1

By far the toughest game of the competition. Alexis put Chile ahead early, but Maupay pulled one back. Then Kondogbia got sent off for a direct red-card, but still Maupay managed to win the game for us with his second goal.

Quarter final: France - Serbia 3-0

Early penalty goal from Thierry Ambrose gave us the lead, then two quick goals from Umtiti and another Ambrose penalty gave us 3-0 at half-time and cruise control in the second half again.

Semi final: France - Colombia 4-0

To get to the semi finals and not play a tougher team than Chile must be considered very lucky. We scored all goals in the first half again, Maupay once and Coman twice.

World Cup Final: France - Spain 4-0

We had to play a tough team eventually, and I thought Spain would be too much. Muir had scored 11 goals and already won the golden boot in reality but Spain had played more difficult games than us. It certainly helped when Munir got injured after just 5 minutes. This time we left it to the second half though, but then it all opened up. Pogba, Coman, Maupay and Ambrose secured a famous victory for France.

--------------------------------------------

Challenges completed:

Club

3/10 top domestic leagues (Brazil,Italy,England)

3/10 domestic cups (Italy,English FA, English League Cup)

1/5 club continental championships (Europe)

1/1 club world championship (with Roma)

International

1/5 continental tournaments (Africa)

1/2 world tournaments (World Cup with France)

6 minor Trophies: FA Trophy (England), League Two (England), Johnstone Paint Trophy (England), Italian Super Cup, Euro Super Cup, European Nations League

Competitions won more than once: UEFA Champions League won twice.

---------------------------------------------

Managerial career clubs:

2014/15 Bristol Rovers Played in Vanarama Conference, took over at 18th position, won FA Trophy, quarter final of Johnstone PT, reach 1st round proper of FA Cup. Finished 2nd in Vanarama Conference and got promoted. Manager of the month in Vanarama Conference 3 times.

2015/16 Bristol Rovers Played in League two, league winners, promoted (obviously), won Johnstone PT, reached 3rd round proper of FA Cup, and 1st round of League Cup. Left club at end of season. Manager of the year in League Two, Manager of the month in League Two 4 times.

2016/17 Brighton Played in Championship for the whole season, finished 2nd, reached 6th round of FA-Cup and 2nd round of League Cup, promoted. Manager of the year in Championship.

2017/18 Brighton Played in Premier League, left the club in march sitting in 11th position and knocked out of FA-Cup in 4th round and League Cup in 4th round, club finished 8th in Premier League with new manager.

2017/18 Wolfsburg Played in Bundesliga, took over club in march at 8th position and already out of DFB Pokal, finished 6th but was banned from Europa League due to failing FFP.

2018/19 Wolfsburg Played in Bundesliga, finished 2nd in the league to Schalke 04, but lost in the 3rd round of DFB Pokal to Dortmund. Left the club at the end of the season.

2019 Internacional Played in Brazilian Serie A. Took over after 7 games in 12th position, won the league (first club landmark), was already out of the cup, and lost in 2nd Preliminary round of Copa Sudamericana. Manager of the year in Brazilian Serie A.

2019/20 Roma Played in Serie A, took over in 13th and finished 2nd to Juventus, lost the TIM Cup final to Juventus, won UEFA Champions League. (second club landmark)

2020/21 Roma Played in Serie A, won the league (third club landmark), TIM Cup (fourth club landmark), Italian Super Cup, UEFA Champions League and Club World Championship (fifth club landmark), but lost Euro Super Cup to Arsenal. Manager of the year Serie A.

2021/22 Man.City Played in Premier League, won the league (sixth club landmark), FA-Cup (seventh club landmark), League Cup (eight club landmark), Euro Sup Cup, but lost the Champions League final on penalties to Chelsea. Manager of the year in Premier League, manager of the month 6 times.

Managerial career national teams:

2017 Ivory Coast Took over in march after nation had being knocked out at group stage of African Nations. Qualified easily for World Cup.

2018 Ivory Coast Took just 1 point in group stage of World Cup. Qualified easily for African Nations.

2019 Ivory Coast Won African Nations (first national landmark) then resigned from the job.

2020 France Took over in july after nation had being knocked out in 2nd round of UEFA Euro Nations. Won group stage of Nations League.

2021 France Won Nations League, qualified for World Cup with maximum points.

2022 France Won World Cup (second national landmark)

Earl - Congrats on your trophy-filled season. Hopefully a good club job will come up via the manager merry-go-round after a World Cup.

NW - I hope its third time lucky in Italy with Roma next season. And of course interested to see if you can beat the Confederations Cup curse.

Tecmo - Hope you keep going, (or start again with a better club).

I wonder what the best club is that anybody's started with. I had a idea once that if you started with just English premiership and Championship loaded, you could get a job with this challenge, because the game doesn't want you to be unemployed. I was wrong.

Hatton I hope things are going well with Locomotiv

So it's been over 2 months since I posted here, because I lost interest in my save for a while. Yesterday, I found my drive again and played all day. Short story:

- Last time I posted that I was promoted with Portuguesa in Brazil. We couldn't make the step up, squad was unhappy, and I moved on.

- Atletico Nacional (Colombia) was my surprising new club. The reigning champion had an 8 point lead halfway through the season, so this would be a good opportunity to add another championship. However, the squad was balanced badly. I got in some good reinforcements, but I never got them going. 3 games before the end we lost the lead and finished 3rd. Although the board was happy and the squad now balanced, I decided to leave.

- MLS club Sporting Kansas City was my next stop. They finished 14th overall and the season just ended, so I had a lot of time to get rid of people and build my own squad. 10 games in we're in second place overall, scoring goals at will and letting very few in. I also got the USA U23 to qualify for the Olympics without any trouble. Things were looking really good. That is, until...

My save file got f***ing corrupted. 'Can't load save file'. I was like Michael Scott proclaiming NO a little too loud and now my girl is annoyed too. It happened last night too, but when I restarted FM it worked, so I thought it had something to do with the steam update running at that moment. But today, nothing seems to help. All 3 autosave files won't be loaded, and it's not a wider issue as other saves do load. Just not this one. I am really annoyed and I lack the intention of starting this again right away :( I love the ultimate journeyman in it, but I'm not going to do this **** all over again. If I do, it'll be in Europe.

Ultimate Manager Hall Of Fame

Nobody has achieved this challenge yet.

When they do, they will be hailed as Gods amongst men, (and 1 woman). Songs shall be written about their exploits, statues will be erected in their honour, and an endless stream of statistics about the nations and clubs managed will be posted here.

Challenge Rules Clarifications

The 10 domestic cups don't have to be from 10 different countries, but we will think you're a wuss if they're not.

We don't allow any added leagues, especially in Asia or Africa. It would change (and simplify) the challenge too much.

Apart from that, there are no rules. It's not a LLM challenge. You can find staff and players however you wish, as long as you don't use in game editors for anything important. You can play however you wish. It's your game.

League Specific Clarifications

Mexico - Some Central and south American nations have 2 league championships a year; the Apertura and Clausura. Both count. The Mexican Cup also counts towards the challenge. Not all the top division clubs (the ones in continental competition) are in it, but it's the only domestic cup in Mexico.

I've only just noticed this, because I'm slow at noticing things. However, this is great :) Let's hope some names can be added! :D

vikeologist I found some fixes and tried them all, nothing seemed to make any difference. While playing some other game I thought about verifying game cache in steam. Without any real belief I tried it and I don't understand why, as other saves were ok, but now it worked for an older autosave :) Because of being overly enthousiastic, I'm now still playing at 4.30 in the morning. Will probably do an update tomorrow!

I've been sacked as manager of Bahia, due to poor performance. Admittedly we were bottom of the Bahia State Championship Group, but in my defence, we hadn't played a single game in it yet because of our involvement in the Libertadores (where we'd won our first 2 group games) and the Northeast regional championship, where were top of our group).

I wasn't enjoying my time there that much, but we were winning all our games very comfortably and stood a good chance of winning absolutely everything.

Now I hate managing there more than ever.

Brazil, we are never, ever, ever getting back together. Bad Blood.

Ok, I've shaken it off. Unemployed again.

I really hated managing in Brazil. I stepped in with Portuguesa halfway through the season and still had to play 30+ games. It's too much. And to be honest, I didn't like the style of football. The usual formations I play are worth **** there.

mayihavecookie's Challenge, Season 4

Season 2017

285px-Chunnam_dragons.svg.png

Chunnam Dragons FC - K League Classic

League Table | Schedule 1 | Schedule 2 | Schedule 3 | Schedule 4 | Manager Profile

I took over a team with a squad of 50 players and reasonable talent and was able to open a little bit of wage and transfer budget, by selling all our overrated foreign players and replacing them with talents that actually added something to the team. Most valuable player for me was ex Liverpool youngster Joao Teixeira, who joined us from Preston for only £70K and scored 14 goals and 13 assists in the league with an average rating of 7.68.

We started well in the league but bad in the CL. After 4 games with only 3 points we were almost out of the group stage, but we fought our way back with two wins and luckily made it to 1st place with only 9 points. After we left Sydney no chance in the second round we fell into some poor form and lost six games in a row, making us fall back to 6th place in the league and dropping out of the FA cup. I wasn't far from quitting, but decided I can't leave while I'm still in the CL. I made some changes to my tactic, went for a back three and started to play a bit less adventurous and it worked. We were back in form in time for the CL quarter final where we defeated Niigata Unicorn 7-0 on aggregate. Next was Jeonbuk, who won both our league encounters so far. We suffered a 1-2 defeat away in the first leg, but won our home game 3-1 and qualified for the final. There we met Teraktor-Sazi from Iran, and we defeated them with a 5-3 aggreage win, making us winners of the Asian Champions League!

We finished the league in second, 12 points behind champions Jeonbuk and only 1 point ahead of Pohang in 4th. In the Club World Championship we made it to the final with two wins against Etoile du Sahel from Tunisia and Boca Juniors (penaltys), but suffered a tough 0-7 defeat in the final against Chelsea.

My contract is expiring in two weeks and I don't think I will renew it.

Season     Club       Pos   DC1   DC2    Cont    Notes & Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014  CHN  Renhe      11th  QF    n/a    n/a     Took over after 13 games in 16th 
2015  CHN  Renhe      2nd   QF    n/a    n/a     Chinese Manager of the Year
2016  CHN  Renhe      1st   Won   n/a    R2      Won Double, Manager of the Year, Resigned at the end of the season
2017  KOR  Chunnam    2nd   R4    n/a    Won     Won Asian Champions League, Manager of the Year

Challenge Progress

Club
1/10 top domestic leagues (China)
1/10 domestic cups (China)
1/5  club continental championships (Asia)
0/1  club world championship

International
0/5  continental tournaments
0/2  world tournaments

An American Werewolf in Football

Moroka Swallows 2016-17

swallows_zps9f7xfbxc.jpg

All Competitions | Profile

I chose to tell my board that we would mount a title challenge, but I definitely wasn't prepared to say we would win it over perennial heavyweights Orlando Pirates, SuperSport United, and Kaizer Chiefs. Our club met the expectations that I set out for us with a very solid second half to the campaign, although we did crash out of all the Cup competitions we were in at the earliest possible opportunity, which didn't exactly please the board.

As far as my managerial skills, I was able to finish my National A License this season, but because my board is a bunch of tightwad ninnies that refuse to invest anything in the club, I'm being made to hold off on attempting my first Continental licensing. That is alright, though -- as I am starting to become known as a bit of a transfer whiz as for yet another season I have produced the signing of the season in now 24-year-old Congolese striker Bamoto Botayi for £54K. Botayi scored 16 goals and assisted on 10 others in 29 total appearances for the club. We also had two players finish in the Top 3 for the Premier League Young Player of the Season award in now 22-year-old AMC and team captain Bala Mohammed out of Niger, and 21-year-old striker Junior Rostand of Cameroon.

The team had a bit of early morale trouble, but in another thing I'm becoming known for, not only did I salvage morale but we really got the best out of our young team down the stretch. The morale is critical, as in the team meetings at the end and the beginning of the new season, everyone is fully invested in the club and all-in to go for our first League title in the 2017-18 season. We've yet to tell the board this, but hopefully they will give me even the slightest of transfer budgets in case we need any minor tweaking at the midseason window. I was already able to bring in three excellent players on free transfers in Denver Mukamba, Brighton Mhlongo, and Tebogo Moerane, and the future looks bright!

Progress

Club

0/10 - Top Domestic Leagues

0/10 - Top Domestic Cups

0/5 - Club Continental Championships

0/1 - Club World Championship

International

0/5 - Continental Tournaments

0/2 - World Tournaments

[b]CLUB

Season        Nation/Club           League                            Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
2014/15       RSA/Black Aces          7th               Hired after 7 games, in 13th
2015          RSA/Black Aces           -               Resigned after 7 games, in 14th
2015/16       RSA/Swallows            4th               Hired after 12 games, in 6th
2016/17       RSA/Swallows            4th           Qualified for 2018 African Confederations Cup 

[b]International

Season        Nation          Highest Ranking                            Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
2014/15       
2015/16 
2016/17           

JDD - I hope that you do indeed win the title next season. You know that I will take an extra delight in Swallow's success.

Cookie - Congrats on the Champions League. I'm surprised that you're leaving, but I guess that there's other nations you're more keen on, so time to get out of dodge, dodge being Asia. Where next?

As for me -

th?id=JN.ned2cFbR%2fdEVxWfD9XIFYg&pid=15.1&P=0

Things aren’t going well.

Holland crashed out in the quarter-finals of the 2042 World Cup to hosts and eventual winners Portugal. We’d won all our games up to that point comfortably.

It was enough to get me sacked. So much for loyalty.

18 of the 23 players were veterans of the World Cup winning squad of 4 years ago. The squad is starting to show their age now. I didn’t bring in younger players as much as I should have. This is largely from only having had a club job for 8 of the previous 24 months, and not being able to scout Dutch players as much as I’d like using club scouts.

On the club front I noticed that the job I wanted most of all, PSG, was to become vacant during the World Cup with the retirement of their manager. I was offered (this time) a job at Sao Paulo, which I declined, and I didn’t even bother applying for the vacancy at Arsenal. I dreamed of managing H-a-H at both club and national level. I wasn’t going to be managing him at either.

PSG didn’t even offer me an interview. I might have to take a job at another French club instead of waiting for the new PSG manager to leave. The trouble is that jobs at OL and OM have come up when the teams haven’t qualified for the Champions league. It’s going to be hard enough deposing PSG.

So now I‘m really unemployed, and this challenge has gone seriously off the rails.

The only big club job to come up after the World Cup was Man City, and they still hate me too much to offer me an interview. I would have taken the job. I’m desperate. there were lots of vacancies in Italy, Germany and Spain, but of course I don't have those leagues active any more.

Belgium and France offered me jobs, but my international work in Europe is done. The France job eventually went to the Portugal manager, which was interesting given that Portugal will be in the next Confederations Cup. They wanted me as well, but I was holding out for the Brazil job.

Sao Caetano in Brazil offered me an interview. I was insulted and laughed at them, but with a little bit of fear that my prospects in the world had fallen so far. Bigger clubs in Brazil also offered interviews, but I’m not interested unless they’re in the Libertadores still. The Brazilian FA had taken over a month to get back to me on their job; presumably offering the job to all the other World Cup winning managers.

Finally after nearly 7 weeks, Brazil offered me the job. Copa America next year, but to get there I probably need to win the Superclásico against Argentina. Make that the Supervenganza.

I'm back, baby, (but I still need a decent club job, pretty please).

vikeologist Good luck with Brazil. Are you interested in the Lyon or Marseille jobs? Even if it isn't possible to beat PSG immediately (How strong are they in your safe? Are they winning the league every year?), maybe doing a good job at a smaller French team will put you on their radar.

Why did I leave? I just didn't enjoy my year at Chunnam too much. There have always been these bad games and stupid defeats I couldn't explain. We won the CL but had a lot of luck with the draw, Jeonbuk was the only real opponent we met. Also the club has not enough money nor a big enough reputation to really strengthen the team for the next season.

I hoped for a chance to manage a bigger South Korean team, as there are a lot of old managers in the league. I would have liked to take over Seoul, who have been underperforming for the last few years, but they decided to give their manager another chance. However, Jeonbuk manager Heo Jung-Moo retired from football and I was given the chance to take over the league champions. My season expectation is to win the double, focus is on the league. Also, the South Korean national team will be looking for a new coach after the World Cup, as Uli Stielike announced his retirement. Let's see if they will offer me the job.

I was offered an interview at San Lorenzo in Argentina. The only reason I didn't 'attend' is because they only had 1 league game left, I don't think they'd qualified for the Libertadores, and I was keen to actually get on with playing matches rather than spending the next 3 months off-seasoning.

So, I took a job at the club at the bottom of French league 1. Mind you that club is AS Saint-Etienne, so they're not far off Lyon and Marseille in terms of potential, and the only way is up. Also they were still in the Euro Cup, though 3rd in the group stage after 3 games so probably not going to get through.

I inherited a lot of problems, including the injury crisis from hell, but a fairly good squad. I took over sometime around October, so no season report for a while, but I predict that we won't finish bottom.

Get ready, this is a long read.

So this is my first update since may, and it's just because I haven't been playing FM 15 too much. Last time around I was at Portuguesa in the Brazilian 2nd Div. Got promoted, but it wasn't really fun being there. After a few games in the highest league it was certain that we weren't going to make much of an impact and that I probably wouldn't last until the end of the season anyways. To avoid being annoyed by this save, I moved on to Atletico Nacional. The Colombian champions were in first place halfway through the season. It seemed like a good squad, but a little old and off-balanced. I got in some good youngsters and I was generally happy with the depth and quality, so I assumed no problems would arise clinching a new championship. But stuff went south, I couldn't get them to stabilize performance-wise. In the final month, where I lost my league lead and got knocked out in the cup semis, I left.

That's when one of my best first seasons in my entire FM / CM career started.

SPORTING KANSAS CITY

In december, DC United and Sporting Kansas ity opened up. I have been aiming for the MLS for a while because I've never managed there and I'm really curious about the transfer and drafting system, and the national team has been one of my favourite teams to manage for years. Kansas was first to offer the job and I took it. They ended last season in 14th position, but there was a decent squad and quite some room in the wage budget. I was fairly confident that I would get them to reach the playoffs with little problems.

And I was going to need this. Ever since leaving Kitchee in 2017, I've only won just one cup. I was sacked within a season at Suwon, I couldn't get Renhe to really challenge for the title in 3 seasons and I left Portuguesa and Atletico Nacional in the same year I joined them.

So Kansas had a decent squad, but it needed some filling. There was only one central defender, and it was the fast-paced but small type, which I avoid at all costs. I have no room for <180cm, <12 jumping central defenders in my teams. So I got in a big Danish guy and a big Swede. 20 and 19 years old, but really talented. The new left-back is Scottish, and I spent my only transfer fee of 1.5M on a Venezuelan AMC, with who I also worked at Portuguesa. Not the strongest player, but he brings a lot of flair into the squad.

Fixtures: http://imgur.com/9v8zHAX

We started off a little unstable, losing against some top teams but beating the smaller clubs. Quite soon, the team started to gel together and we had some really good runs, propelling us into first place halfway through the season. Although we were knocked out of the cup pretty soon and I made a stupid mistake selecting several of my own players for the USA U23 Olympics campaign (which took longer than I expected and has no value towards this challenge), we stayed on a high and actually won the Supporters' Shield and MLS playoffs really easily. 22 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses. And I'm not even completely satisfied as we could've prevented losing at least half of those points. Next season we will be playing in the North Amerian Champions League and I truly think we have a pretty good shot there. Only once an MLS club has won it before, but I feel pretty good after this season. I'm going to hold on to every player, I only lost left wing star player Gaston Ramirez because he didn't want to sign a new contract, but I've already spotted 2 potential replacements.

Competitions: http://imgur.com/8vP5Xxv

Squad: http://imgur.com/DfeM9Yn

Star players:

Guillermo Torres: http://imgur.com/KVkhMKN

At Portuguesa he didn't make this much impact, but in a three-man midfield I love to have one that's controlling the attacking game, changing the pace of the match the way he feels is right. I give him a lot of freedom to be creative and it paid off. This guy was the star of our attacking play, almost no horizontal passes and always looking for the through ball. I think I'm in love.

Phil Denny: http://imgur.com/d8q9uq5

He was rated second best striker and I actually was looking for a first choice striker to bring in, but he did so well in pre-season that I decided to sell our best striker and played him all season. Although he was injured for some games nearing the end of the season, he did great and I'm having a hard time finding a player for next season who I think will do better.

Michael McCormick: http://imgur.com/ELeWDZh

Due to his ability to play in several positions, he was going to be my go-to man if I needed a change during games. But when young talented Derek Overgard picked up a serious injury early in the season, McCormick got himself a place as right winger and never gave me a reason to not pick him when Overgard was back in the squad.

USA U23 - OLYMPICS

Like I said, I played the Olympics. We qualified fairly easy, defeating Mexico on the way. In the group, we played Iran (2-1), South Africa (3-1) and Spain (3-3), so no problems there either. The quarter final draw saw us playing Colombia, one of the weaker sides still in the tournament, and after 80 tough minutes we ran from 3-3 to 6-3, getting us to the semi finals. Holland, a squad that had 20-year old first team players at PSG, Man Utd and Arsenal, was a little too big for us and we lost 0-2. The 3rd place game turned out to be against Spain again, we won it after penalties. Maybe this all upped my reputation a bit, but less than I hoped for.

Now what?

I've asked myself this a little too much during the last few seasons, but now it's clear. Although my home town of Groningen showed interest after a takeover recently, I'm not done here at all. I want to strengthen the squad even further, go for a cup win and have a serious stab at the Champions League. After all those lost years, I have a place to stay again, and even my love for my own city cannot get me to leave. Not yet. If have some business to attend to.

Delighted to see so many updates and that it's going well for a lot of people! Keep up the good work.

Sorry to see things slow down a bit for vikeologist but seems like you're still well on course to complete. Good luck with St Etienne.

Incoming: the season report for a fantastic season that I really enjoyed, and where I got close to doing so, so much.

2061 - Spain

7DLaCGT.png

This was all about getting the job done: the penultimate internatonal trophy, and we know merciless how this particular competition has been for some of my fellow challengers.

It appeared the ultimate trap: routine demolitions of Colombia, Japan and New Zealand saw us through to the final four where Mexico were dispatched in a 5-0 win built on ruthless counter-attacking play, and there we were in a Final against England, a team I'd been eyeing for some time as potential rivals on the international stage.

Thankfully, the cruelty of the Confederations Cup was to spare me: England gave as good as they got, but we edged them 3-2 to claim the Confederations Cup and see me just one Copa America short of the international clean sweep. Would it surprise you to hear that I literally danced in delight? :-)

Season 2061/62 - Roma

TFa56yz.png

When you look at the table of my results below, this will appear not to have been a season of progress: we again finished 3rd and crashed out of the domestic Cup in the 1st Round, whilst on this occasion not even getting beyond the Group Stage of the Champions League.

However, that story belies what truly happened this year: up until the final three games we were firmly in title contention. Even after slipping to draws in the penultimate pair of fixtures, we still had the opportunity to overtake Milanese pair AC and Inter, dependent on their own results, on the final day. We had come remarkably close to the title, and whilst a part of our second-half form could be attributed to the early European and Cup exits ensuring less pressure on our squad, we'd also integrated a large number of (mainly free) signings in the early part of the season and had grown admirably into the campaign. I am confident that I am closing on success in Italy at last and perhaps next year we can get the one or two more results we need to come away with the Scudetto.

I've put the club on a fine financial footing: we sold the two remaining players on big wages before this campaign, and have made a steady profit. We have a big transfer budget next year, to target one or two acquisitions: but perhaps we don't even need them, if we can continue our fine form from the second half of this season after we'd bedded in seven or eight first-team and squad additions. With our transfer budget last year I bought some of Europe's best youngsters, so even if this isn't our year, we'll surely finally triumph in the Serie A title race sooner than later.

The turtle trundles on... CT4pgn0.png

Challenge Progress

Club

International

2/2 world tournaments (WC, Confed.)

Seasons

CLUB CAREER
                               Leagues        Cups
Season        Club           1st      2nd    1st  2nd   Cont.   CWC   Other & Notes
2014/15  RSA  Ajax CT        12th                                     Took over with 3 games remaining, in 15th
2015/16  RSA  Ajax CT                         R2   R1                 Sacked after 16 games, in 16th
2016/17  AUS  Wanderers       6th             QF
2017/18  AUS  Wanderers                       won                     Sacked after 22 games, in 10th
2018/19  IND  Dempo                           GS                      Sacked after 19 games, in 11th
2023/24  IND  Bengaluru                                 CC QF         Resigned after CC QF defeat/before league season
2027     KOR  Jeju                            QF                      Left for Pohang after 32 games, in 7th
2027     KOR  Pohang          5th             won                     Took over with 6 games remaining, in 5th
2028     KOR  Pohang                                    CL GS         Sacked after 16 games, in 5th
2028     KOR  Jeonbuk         5th             SF                      Took over with 20 games remaining, in 7th
2029     KOR  Jeonbuk                         R4                      Sacked after 35 games, in 7th
2030     KOR  Jeju                                                    Left for Wellington after 16 games, in 4th
2033/34  AUS  Wellington                                              Left for Perth after 4 games, in 6th
2033/34  AUS  Perth           9th                                     Took over with 23 games remaining, in 10th
2036/37  AUS  Perth                                                   Left for Seoul after 12 games, in 2nd
2042     BRA  Internacional   5th     1st/won won                     Reached 1,000 games in management
2043     BRA  Internacional           1st/won SF        CL QF         Left for Lanus after 34 national games, in 7th
2045     ARG  Lanus                           R5                      Left for Velez after 15 games, in 11th
2045     ARG  Velez           4th/1st                   CS QF    F    Took over with 14 games remaining, in 1st
2049/50  FRA  Monaco          4th             F   R4    EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2051/52  ITA  Inter                                                   Sacked after 16 games, in 14th
2051/52  ITA  Lazio           8th                                     Took over with 21 games remaining, in 12th
2052/53  ITA  Lazio                                                   Sacked after 5 games, in 17th
2054/55  RSA  Wits           10th                 R1                  Took over with 12 games remaining, in 13th
2055/56  RSA  Wits                            R1  R1    CL won   5th  Left for Valencia after 29 games, in 8th
2056/57  ESP  Valencia        7th             R5        EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2061/62  ITA  Roma            3rd             R1        CL GS

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Rank         Cups
Year  Nation           FIFA  NL   World  Cont. Conf. Other & Notes
2032  Saudi Arabia      12                           Joined 11th Jul, 29th in FIFA Rankings
2035  Saudi Arabia                        won        Resigned 4th Feb, 38th in FIFA Rankings
2036  Norway            61   C                       Joined 27th Jul, 54th in FIFA Rankings
2039  Norway            39                           Resigned 14th Nov, 39th in FIFA Rankings
2042  Tunisia           36                           Joined 20th Jul, 42nd in FIFA Rankings
2043  Tunisia                             GS         Resigned 27th Jan, 37th in FIFA Rankings
2047  South Africa      22                           Joined 17th Feb, 10th in FIFA Rankings
2049  South Africa                        won        Resigned 7th Feb, 19th in FIFA Rankings
2049  USA               14                           Joined 1st Aug, 9th in FIFA Rankings
2051  USA                                 won        Resigned 30th Jul, 31st in FIFA Rankings
2052  Spain              9                           Joined 21st Jul, 7th in FIFA Rankings
2053  Spain             10  won                      Reached 1,500 games in management
2054  Spain              1         won               Left for Brazil 2nd Aug, 1st in FIFA Rankings
2054  Brazil            14                           Joined 3rd Aug, 13th in FIFA Rankings
2058  Brazil                       R1                Sacked 15th Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings
2058  Spain              8   A                       Joined 21st Jul, 8th in FIFA Rankings
2061  Spain                 won                 won  Resigned 9th Jul, 2nd in FIFA Rankings

Some really good updates!

Glad to see you have almost completed the international part of the challenge, NormandyWept! The turtle has almost run the full race! :D Anxiously awaiting hearing about the first international completion!

Also am glad to see that Vikeologist is back into club soccer, even if I think that Holland was insane to relieve him of his duties just one cycle from a World Cup win... harsh, but I guess that's international football for you.

I'm almost to my next window, and Vikeologist, you'll be glad to hear that Moroka Swallows are running neck-and-neck with Kaizer Chiefs for that elusive first league championship. Kaizer Chiefs are on 31 points through 12 games, and we are on 30 after 13. We are seven points clear from the rest of the challengers at this point. It promises to be a tough second half though, as we just lost our first-choice striker, Junior Rostand, to a torn hamstring caused by an extremely dirty Vasco CT team in our last fixture. I'm attempting to bring in reinforcements, but my main target is an Algerian and with the South African Premiership's rules, we are only allowed five foreign players, as you know. I may have to try to move midfielder Denver Mukamba even though I would prefer not to, just because our other four foreign players are the four most important players at the club, including our goalkeeper, our captain (AMC), and both of our first two striker choices.

This is getting to the level of a full update, but I was here and figured I'd write a few blurbs to let folks know how the campaign was going. :D It promises to be very exciting chasing our first title! Thanks everyone for following my tale and for the support! :D This is honestly the first time in all my years of playing football and football management games that I've actually felt truly welcome on a football forum, as an American -- so it is greatly appreciated. I always look forward to everyone's updates and truly feel part of this community now. So again, THANK YOU ALL! :D

jaysdailydose, you're American? Well then I guess your success is based on sheer luck then, right?

No ofcourse not man :) Everyone loving the game is welcome and should be equally treated. I'm actually surprised that you, aside of any jokes that can be made about Americans and 'soccer', didn't feel welcome on other forums. On the other hand, there are some ****** people around ofcourse. I am actually a fan of the American hard-working and team-spirited approach to football and in world cups it's the team that I watch every game they play (after my own Dutch ofcourse) and I really enjoyed their recent friendly win over us (as we suck these days so it's good for them). Maybe our lack of hard work and just relying on our technique and posession game is the reason I look for that in a different team. On the one hand I hope USA will grow to a title contender in the coming years, for which they have the potential, but they're also my favorite underdog. I'm not sure I want that to change :p Great fun though when Howard was named secretary of defense on his wiki page :D

This is honestly the first time in all my years of playing football and football management games that I've actually felt truly welcome on a football forum, as an American -- so it is greatly appreciated. I always look forward to everyone's updates and truly feel part of this community now. So again, THANK YOU ALL! :D

Hey, anyone who prefers a game with real flow to any game that cuts to commercials every two minutes is welcome here by my standards! :thup:

jaysdailydose, you're American? Well then I guess your success is based on sheer luck then, right?

No ofcourse not man :) Everyone loving the game is welcome and should be equally treated. I'm actually surprised that you, aside of any jokes that can be made about Americans and 'soccer', didn't feel welcome on other forums. On the other hand, there are some ****** people around ofcourse. I am actually a fan of the American hard-working and team-spirited approach to football and in world cups it's the team that I watch every game they play (after my own Dutch ofcourse) and I really enjoyed their recent friendly win over us (as we suck these days so it's good for them). Maybe our lack of hard work and just relying on our technique and posession game is the reason I look for that in a different team. On the one hand I hope USA will grow to a title contender in the coming years, for which they have the potential, but they're also my favorite underdog. I'm not sure I want that to change :p Great fun though when Howard was named secretary of defense on his wiki page :D

Yup, guilty as charged. :) It's not like I was treated badly, it just never seemed like I really fit in. I fit in here. :D

And I'm the reverse of you, my stepfather was born and stayed in Nijmegen till he was about eight years old, so the Dutch are my guilty pleasure.

I can't even think about Howard right now, I kind of get the feeling we might have changed our fortunes in that Gold Cup disaster had he been fit. Last bit, before I digress, but I think Jurgen Klinsmann is going to have a bit of trouble getting us to a title contender, if for no other reason than he's trying to do it all himself. I wish he would take a backseat and just concentrate on being technical director and give the reins to someone else.

I think he plays too much Footy Manager. ;)

I think Klinsmann needs to change his approach a little to restart the fire. On the other hand, maybe his time is done and a change is needed. He was the guy that propelled Germany to a new and higher level by changing their style, but Löw is the guy who perfected it. I don't know if there's a logical successor in his staff at USA but that could be a thing. He did good to give them a bit of the European way, but he should move aside by now. But all in all he's not doing too bad and the Gold Cup exit against Jamaica was, as far as I can tell because I didn't watch every game, unlucky. I think everyone watching it was hoping for a Mexico - USA clash. Fair play to the Jamaicans though.

Hey all!

Its been a while, ive been really busy with real life stuff so im a bit behind with this challenge :p

NW: Damn, 2061 and you look like you are almost done, only a couple more to go! :D

Anyway.

Very VERY quick update as ive just started up again.

Had a decent go in the Transfer Market as the manager of S'hampton.

With a 25Mil transfer budget, it was a case of "out will the old, in with the new".

With 13 contracts running out, i also sold a couple of players with decent prices that had no place in my plans, bringing in an additional 14million.

I then brought in Gaston Remero from Ajax for £10Mil as well as Kristoffer Ajer from Celtic for 7Mil and Dorin Roatriu for 8Mil.

Brought in a couple of backups for my defence as well as bringing in an aging Fernando Torres in.

Anyway, 5 games into the Premier League season, im sitting in 3rd place, winning 4 and losing 1, with 5-0 and 4-1 victories in my last 2 including 5 goals from my aging Torres.

Will be interesting to see how my season goes.

In terms of Haiti, i lost the Gold Cup, hard.

Had a -14 GD in 3 games (A big 1-9 loss against Mexico being one) and was knocked out.

Ive since left Haiti as i need a bigger national team to complete the challenge and Haiti dont play again for 16 months.

Another thing ive done, is got rid of around 25 countries to hopefully speed up my game.

Im not planning to leave England until i have won the PL, FA cup and League Cup at the very least. European competitions would be a bonus but im not going to wait around for that, i can bother with that later.

Anyway, good to be back and will have updates soon :)

Had a crazy bit of frustration due to a crash tonight... I don't even know if I'm going to continue the save, it kind of took the breath out of me and I'm not really enthused for the next season.

I'd been cruising along, in our around the title all season, and then the guys started falling off. Second to last game of the season, we get beaten by the last-place team in the table. Crappy, but we're still in the final of the SA FA Cup, and in great position in the African Confederation Cup.

We play Kaizer Chiefs to a solid draw going into extra time... and then 5 minutes in, my best player gets dragged down in the box. Penalty, conversion, 1-0 and the first trophy of the challenge is in my grasp.

And then the whole goddamned game crashed for the first time since I've owned it. Wound up still losing the league total (but we didn't lose to Vasco CT this time at least, just a draw) but then we were bounced by a resurgent Kaizer Chiefs.

I already felt I'd had bad luck all season as I'd been running away with the title at one point, but then to have an unexplainable crash as my first trophy is in sight? Ugh.

I've got my couple screenshots taken for my update, but I'm not sure if I'm going to proceed or just try to get away from this cursed save. :(

Wheresmyspacebars Challenge, Take2.

Season 2017/2018

So. Honestly, a great start to my Premier League career.

I joined a "struggling" Southampton who had just finished in 12th place in the last campaign.

When i joined, i looked at their players and was absolutely amazed at how they could finish in 12th. With world class players like James Ward-Prowse and Marco Asensio and a solid international remaining squad in Jay Rodriquez, Nathanial Clyde, Michael Keane and Pavel Kaderabek my original challenge to finish in the top half of the table, should be an easy one.

I went in and got rid of a lot of dead wood, bringing in some great upcoming talent in Kristoffer Ajer, Gaston Gil Remero and a number of others. I also brought in Fernando Torres for a season loan to cover the striker role (And paying 20% wage only, a steal honestly)

In January i made a decent profit on a backup keeper i had bought, as well as getting a great 2 signings in veterans Jan Vertoghan and Edin Dzeko who had big impacts.

Transfer - http://i.imgur.com/KruqPJ5.jpg

The season started well, after losing the first game, i went on a 8 win streak, including away 4-3 and 3-0 victories against Manchester City and Chelsea, to put me 2nd in the table (Albeit, Man city in 3rd with a game in hand).

I carried on this run throughout the season, winning/unbeaten in 6-9 and then losing 1 or 2 games.

Ultimately, i stayed in the top 3 for the whole season, before being 1 point behind a Chelsea side going into the last game.

Unfortunately, i lose 1-3 to Liverpool whilst Chelsea won 6-0 to give them their 2nd title in 2 years.

Man City also pipped me to 2nd and i finished 3rd, which is a great springboard for next season as it gives me the Champions League half my team wanted (Or they would be quitting) and hopefully enough prowess to pick up a better defence, as thats where i lost points.

League Table - http://imgur.com/c0oG8mA,KruqPJ5,IYvAHkl

I now face an interesting season next year.

I have already signed Toby Alderweireld for 16.5 Mil, which took a big chunk of my 32 Mil transfer chest but he is currently one of the best Defenders in the game, so completely worth it.

I also raided Bayern Munich for 2 midfielders in Gaudino and Mario Gotze as im soon to lose my "Star player" James Ward-Prowse to Manchester City who offered £70Million which i really cant turn down.

Hopefully i can have a decent run in cups, Chelsea won a Treble and if i can beat them in the league, i can definitely go all the way in the cups.

International Career

Still unemployed :(

Only the Bahrain U23s have a spot and they have no fixtures for 2 years.

With the World Cup just finishing, hopefully i can get a decent International team and start winning some trophies.

Managerial career:

Season   Club                    League           Pos   DC1   DC2     Cont     Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15  Baronovici  Belarusian First League      8th   QF    n/a     n/a      n/a
2015/16  Baronovici  Belarusian First League      2nd  Rd3    n/a      n/a    n/a
2016/17  Baronovici  Belarusian Highest League    1st  won    n/a    n/a     won
2017/18  Southampton English Premier League      3rd   Rd3  QF  n/a

Season   Nation                  Achievements
2014/15 Malaysia U23         Reached the QFs of the Asian Games
2015/16 Haiti                Reached the 3rd round qualifications for WC
2016/17 Haiti                Reached the 4th round Quals for WC, Won the Carribean Cup, ranking up to 89th from 105th

Challenges completed:

Club

1/10 top domestic leagues (Belarus)

1/10 domestic cups (Belarusian Cup)

0/5 club continental championships

0/1 club world championship

International

0/5 continental tournaments

0/2 world tournaments

Other Cups: Super Cup (Belarus/Baronovichi) / Carribean Cup (Haiti)

jaysdailydose, that sounds an absolute sickener, but stick in there! Go again next year and take the title over those bloody Chiefs! You can do it :-)

Wheresmyspacebar!, you seem to have a stellar squad in the making at Southampton. A great club to manage so early in the challenge and I'm sure you can win the PL title with them in 2-3 more seasons. I have actually saving England until last in my game, although I might turn the league on once I finish Italy, and look at jumping in "early" if there's the right opportunity.

2062 - Brazil

FGKU6q5.png

Another poor World Cup for Brazil saw them again looking for a manager in 2062, and they were happy to take me back despite sacking me an international cycle earlier.

Our form in friendlies has been nothing like as good as you would hope, so I'm a bit concerned at whether I'll be able to win the 2063 Copa America, but I guess we'll find out pretty soon!

Season 2062/63 - Roma

TFa56yz.png

League | Schedule Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3

An absolute kick-in-the-teeth of a season: a slump early in the campaign killed our title chances and saw us finish a measly third place in our Champions League group to crash into the Europa League, and then when we recovered with some fantastic late-season form to finish 3rd in Serie A and reach the Finals of both the Italian Cup and the Europa League, we duly lost both of those Finals, the Italian Cup on bloody penalties to my old team Inter.

Interestingly, with Juventus defeating us in the Europa League Final and finishing fifth, all of the top five teams in Italy will compete in the Champions League next season.

Structurally the club is in great shape. We're well under wage budget and have some great youth players coming through. The board believe in the project and have signed me up for two further years. We just need one of those years to see us deliver our best form in league games for the whole year. Wish me luck!

Challenge Progress

Club

International

Seasons

CLUB CAREER
                               Leagues        Cups
2062/63  ITA  Roma            3rd             F         EL F          Reached 2,000 games in management

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Rank         Cups
2061  Spain                 won                 won  Resigned 9th Jul, 2nd in FIFA Rankings
2062  Brazil             6                           Joined 23rd Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings

2063 - Brazil

FGKU6q5.png

After coasting past the minnows in the Group Stage and Peru in the Quarter-Final, we faced bitter rivals Uruguay in the Semi-Final of the Copa America, with the winner to face either Argentina or host nation Paraguay for the title.

The free-scoring form through the group and the Peru game had seen morale sky high, and we duly delivered a fantastic performance, coasting to a 2-0 lead before young winger Hugo scored a bombastic 30-yarder to add some serious gloss and send us into the Final on a massive high.

We would face, of course, Argentina, in perhaps the least surprising Copa America Final line-up possible. In defeating them on penalties after a 0-0 draw the previous autumn I had spectacularly made it six consecutive Superclasico victories for Brazil, but I was still massively nervous about the potential outcome of this game.

Thankfully, I need not have been: still sky high after coasting through the tournament, we kept even Argentina at arm's length, and after goals from our striker and central winger we were soon celebrating the final international trophy of my career - get in there!!!

From here on it's just the four biggest leagues of Europe, plus one more to take me to ten, and of course the UEFA Champions League - should be able to manage all that in another fifty seasons or so!

Challenge Progress

Club

International

5/5 continental tournaments (Africa, Asia, Europe, N.Am., S.Am.)

Seasons

CLUB CAREER
                               Leagues        Cups
2062/63  ITA  Roma            3rd             F         EL F          Reached 2,000 games in management

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Rank         Cups
2062  Brazil             6                           Joined 23rd Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings
2063  Brazil                              won        Resigned 7th Jul, 8th in FIFA Rankings

Never posted before but I'll give a quick overview

Started with Ejica (2.5k stadium size)

First season - Finished 4th in the league, lost in 1st promotion game

Second season - Finished second in the league but won all the promotion games

Third season - Finshed second by 1 point - promoted to La Liga

Fourth Season - Finished 9th in the League, not much else

Fith season - Finished 5th in the League, got into Europa League, only 4 points of fourth so I will be looking at that this season

Sixth season - Tycoon interested in buying us! Currently our finances are not good. We lost 3.4m last season and I just don't have the money to get any players. Tbf I did spent a good 5m on someone but our wages are only 140k. Looking to get another European spot and get a good European cup run this season. New stadium is completed next season, increasing the size to a massive 20.5k which would really help finances

GWHCEKw.png

jaysdailydose, that sounds an absolute sickener, but stick in there! Go again next year and take the title over those bloody Chiefs! You can do it :-)

Wheresmyspacebar!, you seem to have a stellar squad in the making at Southampton. A great club to manage so early in the challenge and I'm sure you can win the PL title with them in 2-3 more seasons. I have actually saving England until last in my game, although I might turn the league on once I finish Italy, and look at jumping in "early" if there's the right opportunity.

I'm actually quite sure I'm going to be fired... I saved the game and started messing around with a different save, experimenting with maybe creating a challenge, but I'm thinking I'll go back and see if I get the sack in a few minutes. I'm extra irritated as we fought for the title all year, are already guaranteed through to the Semis of the African Confederation Cup, and were just an FA Cup finalist. I could see it if there wasn't discernible progress, but there absolutely is. The idiocy with the crash just is on my nerves worse now as I don't even get the goodwill (or the achievement in this challenge) from getting that Cup win that I was right on the verge of.

I might just need a break from the save for a few days, because I'm not really sure it'd be in me to try to restart it at this point. I wouldn't want all the knowledge I have about South Africa now affecting my brain.

We'll see how it shakes out.

CONGRATULATIONS on being the first to finish the International side of the challenge. Top-notch accomplishment!

Yeah, I got canned... I think this save was just cursed. That crash and losing that trophy is just so stuck in my mind, and then my chairman decided to become a real *****.

I'm not leaving you guys, though. Don't worry. :) I'm just going to restart one last time.

I'm going to load up a new save now, I'm just seeing how some of you have setup which leagues you loaded because I want to see just how much time I can cut off if I don't load up all the leagues I've been loading. I'm much more comfortable in the game now, so this may be helpful anyway. I've learned a lot about the game by getting through several seasons in a league outside of Europe.

ONE. LAST. TIME... :D

The American Werewolf in Football! (Final)

Prologue

As most of you know that have been following the thread, I had a problem with a crash that could not be explained in my save in the South African FA Cup Final. I had just gone ahead of Kaizer Chiefs when the game inexplicably shut down. Upon the reload, the entire save went to crap. Not only was I still kept from winning the league, we were demolished in that same FA Cup Final with Moroka Swallows. As we started the next season, we were dealt a loss by Stade Malien, and even though we'd already qualified for the African Confederation Cup Semi-Final, the board told me I needed a result in my next match. I got that result, and even though I was challenging for the title every year, the board refused to give me the money needed to restock the team. I was appalled that they would not support me with the great work I'd done (Swallows was looked at as the third biggest club in South Africa after languishing in mediocrity before my arrival) and I leaked it to the press that the board was the reason we weren't going to have the money to improve the last spot on the team I felt necessary for both league and continental glory. They relieved me of my duties only minutes later...

So, instead of trying to start anew in South Africa, or moving elsewhere with a dinged reputation -- I have started a new, and my final, Ultimate Manager save. It was actually a blessing in disguise, as I'd always loaded all the nations I felt necessary to complete the challenge. Upon starting my new save, which is a large database with only Spain, England, and Germany loaded -- I am totally impressed by the speed of my game now, and should be able to provide quicker gameplay and updates.

Here is a look at my profile:

Main Profile

Personal Information/Nationalities

And away we go! :)

The American Werewolf in Football! (Final)

bury-fc_zps5j1iztsc.jpg

Jason Jackson was hired as the manager of League Two side Bury FC on January 5th, 2015. The Shakers are currently 6th in the table with 36 points from 24 matches in League Two. We were predicted by the pundits to finish 3rd, and the board expects us to finish in the Playoff positions. We have been granted a £33,000 wage budget, and just under £20,000 for our initial transfer budget after a small adjustment with the board members.

I will be approaching this challenge much differently than my previous attempts, as I am going to follow the European path to start and attempt to forge my reputation that way. Thanks everyone for your support, I hated to restart but I just couldn't get over my anger at how things went there. I hope you will follow my progress, as I am still 110% fully invested in completing this challenge.

Jay, absolutely sucks about your save before but what a team to start off this challenge with (IMO) and in a great position.

If you manage a promotion and a decent cup run, i can see you being able to springboard up to the championship or even a low premiership team if luck is on your side.

Hope it all goes well with your new save :)

The Ultimate Challenge: Brettney Edition;

Season 2025/26.

Manchester United

Everything rests on us winning the Chamnpions League this season, so much so that i play a lot of the youngsters in the league handing out more chances than ever before... It see's us struggling around the lower end of the top half through the Champions League group stage. We climb the league table as we head past December, Christmas and through to February, it#s pretty close at the top with us in with a chance of finishing anywhere in the top 5... In the Champions League we top a group that also includes Zenit, Inter and Olympiakos. The first K.O rd sees us face CSKA Moscow, we drew the first leg away before welcoming them to Old Trafford with a 5-1 Victory. The Quarters sees us facing Barcelona where we manage a 1-1 draw at their place putting us in with a great chance... And once again we win 5-1 at Home. Meanwhile in the FA Cup we get a bit of luck with the draw and end up in the semi final against Arsenal, we win that 2-0 and we will next face Man City at Wembley. Real Madrid are next in the Champions League and after a 3-0 win at Old Trafford we go to their place and hold them to a 2-0 loss, going through 3-2 on agg. Who do we get in the final?? Man City. Our second to last game in the League sees us face Man City, anything but a victory ends our Title chances... We lose 3-1... Next we go to Wembley to for Manchester Derby part 2 and scrpae by after penalties. Finally Manchester derby part 3, the Champions League Final, at the Nou Camp: 2-2 fill time... Can we do them on pens again!? Nope! They score in the 93' minute and that is all she wrote, we lose 3-2 in the Champions League final to the noisy neighbours and to make matters worse we end up 4th and they win the League also!

FA Cup: Beat Man City on Pens.

League Cup: Lost in 4th rd 3-2 vs Swansea.

The Squad|Premier League Table|Finance

Key Players;

Oscar Rios|Adrian Jefcoate|Marcel Nguekam|Sean Dawson

Best Player in Europe!!

Transfers; (and continued).

Youth Candidates.

Personal Landmark!!

Mexico;

FIFA World Rankings!

The Confederations cup;

We are drawn in a group alongside Colombia (beat 2-1), Italy (Lose 3-2) and South Korea (Beat 2-1).

We progress to the semi final to face Argentina, and suffer a closer than expected 3-2 loss. We win the most pointless match in football, the 3rd place playoff versus Ivory Coast.

K.O Stage

Landmarks.... Next up... The 2026 World Cup (In Canada)... The Draw!

Season	Team			Position   Notes			     Challenge Landmarks
2014	Woodlands (Singapore)	 7th	   Took over 17 games in (8th)  Cup Double (League Cup and S-Cup)
2015   Woodlands (Singapore)    4th       Too many injuries!           League Cup won.
2016   Woodlands (Simgapore)    1st       Champions!                   S-League Title + Singapore Cup.
2017   Woodlands (Singapore)    1st       Won Confed. Cup.             League and Confed Cup Double.
2018   Woodlands (Singapore)    1st when left.  Sacked!
2017/18  Wanderers FC           5th       Took over 26th March         Final of Hyandai Finals Series
2018/19  Wanderers FC           1st       Champions + Grand Final      2nd League won.
2019/20  Wanderers FC           1st       Champs + Grand Final         Q-Final of Champs League (So far)
2020/21  Wanderers FC           1st when left. Asian Champs League     Moved on 31st December.
2020/21  San Lorenzo            3rd       Copa Libertadores win!       Another Regional Cup tourney won!
2021/22  Man Utd                3rd       Took over in January.        Qualified for Champs League.
2022/23  Man Utd                2nd       Champs League Semi's...      Won FA Cup!
2023/24  Man Utd                1st       League and League Cup.       Double. Champs League Q-Final.
2024/25  Man Utd                1st       League + League Cup Double   Champs League K.O rd.
2025/26  Man Utd                4th       Champs League+FA Cup Finals  Won FA Cup!!

The Trophy's.

Leagues;

La Liga -

Premier League - (Man Utd)!

Bundesliga -

Ligue 1 -

Serie A -

And 5 Others...

1 - Singapore (Woodlands)!

2 - Australia (Wanderers)!

3 -

4 -

5 -

Regional Champions Leagues;

European Champions League -

Asian Champions League - (Woodlands).

Copa Libertadores - (San Lorenzo).

North American Champions League -

Africa Champions League -

International Tournemants;

UEFA Euros -

Asian Cup Of Nations -

Copa America -

Gold Cup - Mexico!

African Cup Of Nations -

FIFA World Cup -

Confederations Cup -

Others:

10 Domestic Cups required (Where Top Level Teams can Enter)

1 - Singapore Cup - (Woodlands).

2 - Singapore League Cup - (Woodlands).

3 - English FA Cup - (Man Utd).

4 - English League Cup - (Man Utd).

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 -

10 -

FIFA Club World Cup -

Jay, absolutely sucks about your save before but what a team to start off this challenge with (IMO) and in a great position.

If you manage a promotion and a decent cup run, i can see you being able to springboard up to the championship or even a low premiership team if luck is on your side.

Hope it all goes well with your new save :)

Thank you very much! I hated having to start over, but it was just sickening me every time I loaded up the game. (And I tried to give it a go after I got sacked.)

It isn't off to a great start yet, as I'm behind 2-0 in my first fixture, but its going to take time to get them proficient in my tactics. And the previous manager couldn't have been doing very well tactically, as I researched what they were running and tried to put it in so they could be comfortable while learning my tactics, but they didn't have really any more knowledge of that tactic than they did mine. It'll be interesting, but even if it goes badly at this first job, I'm committed to the future and what happened in that other save will NOT happen again. I've gone to weekly saves and saving after every competitive fixture to prevent having to go back if something does happen.

Obviously, the save was still playable, but if your heart isn't in it, your heart isn't in it. I appreciate you and everyone else continuing to follow, I was worried that people would just think I was a flake and ignore me from here on out. ;)

Archived