The 'Triple X' Set - Home, Away & Maverick - The Wingers are back!!

Hi, second season over with Southampton.

I was using the DoM set for the first season (finished 4th), second season I didn't get as many points, however after ~15 games I switched to the XXX set..and managed to win the Champions League with a limited squad :)

44FB10C9A6AA0CCDE4C99CD905DB2D8545F351D9

5AFD3A503AF73AD23EECC66D5B7A5AB4131DCF2E

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried it with 2 different teams and couldn't find any success using these tactics. With Monaco I got fired in November after being 18th in the table. With Bayern (who really have perfect players for these tactics) I played half a season and was 5th in late December. Doesn't work for me...

Well with these tactics I've won the Championship with Middlesbrough with 1 game to spare, PLY 45 W 28 D7 L10 85-45 91pts, top scorer Danny Graham 31 league goals.:applause:

Nice one dude, i seem to remember you not being very optimistic at the start :lol:

Mr U Rosler what were your results with the 'away' tactic? For me it never really clicked, in the second season I've been using the 'home' tactic for every match and the results have been very good.

I thought it was ok. Of course results won't be as good as the other 2 tactics as you use the away tactic when you are up against it. But if the home tactic is working better thats cool.

Nice one dude, i seem to remember you not being very optimistic at the start :lol:

I wasn't at all but now I'm in the Premeirship I'm getting hammered. Never been so annoyed with a version of FM as I get with FM 14......

PLY 12 W3 D3 L6 12Pts, 4pts above the relegation zone. Just stopped a run of 8 games without a win by thumping Spurs 5-0 at home. That gives me at least 10 more games before my patience goes again.

Now without a win in 6 games, can't even get a point against 10-men Man Utd. Relegation/sack looms.....

When I had a Team Meeting, my captain said - another team meeting ? Great. That was the only comment. Just got thrashed 5-0 by Arsenal - sorry but where is the fun in this ?

Needless to say I changed my captain immediately.

And sacked.

I truly enjoy having this tactic.

My striker is a worldclass scoring over 50 goals in the entire season (league + cups + international matches)

My left winger scores regularly

My right winger scores regularly

My AM is the one with the most assists and scores

My 2 FB, 2 CD are 18 and 19 so not much experienced and developed but the 2 DM are 28 and 31 so it evens out.

31 year old GK loyal as a puppy, solid as a rock

In 20 matches I use the HOME tactics 18 times and the AWAY tactic 2. Only using the AWAY tactic against oponents that I think are going to give my team a hard time. Very rarely used MAVERICK tactic.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question. Currently mid-December of first season in a QPR save. Not having the greatest of seasons, sitting aroud 9th. I know it's not great to change tactics half way through a season, but my current tactic was too hit and miss. I have just played 2 games with the DOM set (draw and a win) - any advice on which of the XXX set or DOM set is best for a championship team? Would ultimately like to get promoted and use the same tactic too

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mr U Rosler - this looks like another cracker of a tactic, can't wait to try it with my Schalke side in my upcoming 3rd season - have finished 3rd & 2nd so far, hopefully I can finally get to Bayern with this.

Loved Silk & Steel and Rainmaker loads. Fingers crossed this will be good. Cheers dude :thup:

Hello Mr U Rosler - this looks like another cracker of a tactic, can't wait to try it with my Schalke side in my upcoming 3rd season - have finished 3rd & 2nd so far, hopefully I can finally get to Bayern with this.

Loved Silk & Steel and Rainmaker loads. Fingers crossed this will be good. Cheers dude :thup:

Good luck!

There will be a new tactic out b4 the weekend ;-)

I have only just bought FM14 as I always wait until there's an offer on and I know I'm coming into a fully patched version of the game. I have just started my first save, which will be a test career starting with MUFC so I can adjust to the new game. I've looked on all the usual sites and I have chosen this tactic to start with.

I shall report back with my findings.

I've got a pretty good 442 going which is what I've been after for a while.

Settled on the team instructions just testing a few variations of the 2 central midfield roles to see if anything stands out.

It a classic 'English' 442, high tempo, high energy, lots of goals/headers from crosses etc. Wide men hammering up and down the flanks.

Something for those of us sick of the 4231 tiki taka which has been prominent on FM for the last few years.

Hi Mr U Rosler,

I had an interesting season with this tactic and just thought I would give you some feedback - really a season of two halves!

First half, a few too many draws but hardly any goals conceded (except for 5-1 drubbing from Bayern)

ScreenShot2014-06-12at021100_zps48ce86a1.png

Sheesh, what a second half! Totally crumbled. I followed all your other tips to a tee man - Maverick if chasing a win, training etc.

ScreenShot2014-06-12at021113_zpsc70309b2.png

That is a bit strange.

Dont have any answers for you i'm afraid.

Just finishing my 442 test which although is going very well is throwing up weird results, beat Tottenham 7-0 then next game lost 5-1 to Villa!

Just think ME 14.3 is poor to be honest,very random at times. 1 defeat can lead to a crash in form and morale.

That is a bit strange.

Dont have any answers for you i'm afraid.

Just finishing my 442 test which although is going very well is throwing up weird results, beat Tottenham 7-0 then next game lost 5-1 to Villa!

Just think ME 14.3 is poor to be honest,very random at times. 1 defeat can lead to a crash in form and morale.

Yeah it is strange. I think morale effects things too much in 14.3 maybe - as you say, one defeat can lead to a crash..

Look forward to trying your 442 although am thinking of going back to Rainmaker & Silk and Steel.

Hi there :) I'm curently using you're tactic in the LLM with AFC Telford. Only played 14 games in the league, but it looks decent curently. Have a qustion about the home tactic. If drawing at home (using home tactic) do you change to attacking or just leave it as it is at standard?

Hi there :) I'm curently using you're tactic in the LLM with AFC Telford. Only played 14 games in the league, but it looks decent curently. Have a qustion about the home tactic. If drawing at home (using home tactic) do you change to attacking or just leave it as it is at standard?

personally i leave as standard. dont want to change to attacking then concede!

I am currently at AFC Telford in the Skrill North but I am struggling immensely. I use this tactic set and have been doing so the whole time. I managed to get in some fairly decent players on free transfers but everything seems so inconsistent. I am pretty much one bad result away from the sack and it is only December in my first season.

I am interested to hear of any advice from you on who you may have signed or where you are using the players that were already there. Also, any advice from others on why I don't seem to be doing well with this batch of tactics would be great.

Hello felow Telford-er :) Well my advice, as you are predicted to 4.th place, I only use the home and maverick set in league matches. If heavy favorite I start with maverick (when in lead switch to home), if not just stick with home set. The odds don't play much role in this league in my oppinion, as no team stands out in quality. Play the away set only in cup games against oposition from higher leagues.

Did you find a parent club besides Wolwes? I linked with Stevenage and got a starter winger (Joseph N'Guessan 4,5 stars) and back up central defender (George Allen 2,5 stars) on loan. Besides these two, I only signed two more players because the starting squad is decent, GK Matty Edwards and AMC James Lawrie on free in preseason. I released A. Pryce GK and R. Booth AMR. Well inr etrospect I should have signed a DM to.

Curently I'm in January 1. season (4. place, trailing by 3 points to 1. place) and have signed 6 more players, to stenghen the squad and push for promotion. I have signed Moses Swaibu DC, Oliver Forsyth ST, Ibrahim Mansaray DM, Bismarck Amofah DL/DR on free, Magno Vieira AM and Mamadou Fofana DM on loan.

Ou and keep morale up. Praise good performances in private chats with players (match rating over 8). Morale has a big inpact on tactic performance, trust me.

I also linked with Stevenage and got N'Guessan. He starts in my 11 too and I use him as the AML mostly, even though he is totally right footed.

I have a player called Jean-Paul Marna that is great. He can play AML, AMR, AMC and S. I got him for free at the start so he might not be available for you.

I'm fully prepared to stick with it so hope that things turn round but I fear that I will actually be sacked very soon. I will take your advice with starting with Home in most games and Maverick when a heavy favourite. Who has been your main striker?

I also linked with Stevenage and got N'Guessan. He starts in my 11 too and I use him as the AML mostly, even though he is totally right footed.

I have a player called Jean-Paul Marna that is great. He can play AML, AMR, AMC and S. I got him for free at the start so he might not be available for you.

I'm fully prepared to stick with it so hope that things turn round but I fear that I will actually be sacked very soon. I will take your advice with starting with Home in most games and Maverick when a heavy favourite. Who has been your main striker?

Yea I know Marna, his a lower league legend in FM series:) N'Guessan is one of my key players, really good for this level. My main goal threat is Tony Gray, only 2,5 stars but his scoring for me :) 22 goals in 34 matches. Will see how Forsyth will do, have high hopes for him. And whoes your main striker?

Yea I know Marna, his a lower league legend in FM series:) N'Guessan is one of my key players, really good for this level. My main goal threat is Tony Gray, only 2,5 stars but his scoring for me :) 22 goals in 34 matches. Will see how Forsyth will do, have high hopes for him. And whoes your main striker?

I was using a player called David Goldsmith but then bought Jon Macken who has 5 goals in 10. My top goalscorer is Marna with 6 goals in 21. So you can see how I've been struggling as those two are actually my top scorers.

Yea I know what you mean. FM 14 is so f***ing frustraiting. It's the first game I bought after FM 11 and I'm really disapointed. It's to chalenging for my liking and to bugy. Wher is the fun in conceding from every other set pieces play?

Well my team is starting to crumble after the new years :( I can't get a win out of my team, I'm starting to really, really, really hate this game.

I haven't even scored for 5 games now. Just been called into a board meeting so if I lose the next game then I am out. I just don't know what else I could have done here.

Sorry to hear that. Morale has to much of an impact on the game, in my oppinion. Well in honesty this tactic isn't made for lower league anyway, so don't feel bad.

finished my 1. season with AFC Telford. Got promoted through playoffs :) It was a rollercoaster, so stresfull this game :p Finished with the best defence and 3. best attack in the league.Can't take screens for a funny reason, alt+F9 doesn't work, as is print screen:confused:

finished my 1. season with AFC Telford. Got promoted through playoffs :) It was a rollercoaster, so stresfull this game :p Finished with the best defence and 3. best attack in the league.Can't take screens for a funny reason, alt+F9 doesn't work, as is print screen:confused:

My 442 has been kicking butt in the lower leagues, you tried that yet?

My 442 has been kicking butt in the lower leagues, you tried that yet?

No not yet, will definetly try in a nother save. I will try a diferent aproach the next season. When heavy favorite will just change the home tactic to attacking and play maverick only when chasing. Will see how that goes. Whats you're thoughts on instructing the Engache to close down more? I feel like when playing against a formation with DM or AM he just doesnt do much defensively. Well it ain't his job, but just hate seing not closing a nearby player down.

No not yet, will definetly try in a nother save. I will try a diferent aproach the next season. When heavy favorite will just change the home tactic to attacking and play maverick only when chasing. Will see how that goes. Whats you're thoughts on instructing the Engache to close down more? I feel like when playing against a formation with DM or AM he just doesnt do much defensively. Well it ain't his job, but just hate seing not closing a nearby player down.

As soon as you tell an Engache to do other things he's no longer an Engache..... if you catch my drift ;-)

f2oosy.png

The first three or four season i didn't use the XXX ( and you can see where my run of 8 starts, that said I always had a long term view and took certain gambits in order to hope for future gains) as it didn't exist then. However once switching to it I managed to achieve the bulk of, if not pretty much all, of what you see here. Along with the obvious; good buys, extremely good squad management praising and criticising etc (this seems to have been made even more important in this game) Training well and assembling a great team of coaches. Further more the use of the XXX system itself if done well, is amazing, there don't seem to be any plug and play one off tactics that will allow you to gain what I did in the last two versions of the game without once changing the tactic (even within a variation system) anymore. And I mean gaining things like winning the EPL by record margins 8 times on the trot (so far in this one) but in the past two versions 20 and 15 respectively, the C/L 8-10 times in each on the bounce. You have to be bold enough to use XXX and change to home/maverick when needed and then back asap when not needed or they've served their purpose. This is a lot trickier than it sounds. It's also essential to make sure you use what appear to be the totally wrong players in certain situations when doing so. I find it is also essential in the long run now, as a new contract won't rub away all memory for players, to really be, as unobtrusively of course, aware and participating in all their parts of life.

I have to add that I think a certain amount of my success game from editing the corner/free-kick and throw in instructions a fair bit. I know this has had an effect as I managed somehow to lose the original saves of the tactic and had done an awful lot of successful tweaking but felt like going back to the drawing board. So I went to reload them and they weren't there. I then reloaded then from this thread and 3/5th -3/4th of the whole season I was conceding a ton from set pieces and scoring only half as many. They're, even when being scored a lot, a relatively small amount of the total goals scored, another of the best things about this tactic is that a lot comes from open play however many were extremely crucial also a lot of opposing conceded goals tended to come from the immediate aftermath. It was more the games I was drawing or losing due to being trampled all over at set pieces. Thankfully however I remembered, somewhat late as I had assumed I had just finally gotten a bad season, that I had hugely moderated the set pieces part of this tactic. Straight away after doing so I was scoring more and conceding less from set pieces but also from the play that led directly from the free-kicks and corners. Similarly with how I was attacking.

Apart from that the main thing i would advise people to have is inside forwards, let's say on the left with a very strong/strong right foot to cut in and score goals but also at the very least a reasonable opposing foot due to the drilling crosses being on. Get them and get a real complete forward attacking style and you'll tear teams to shreds. I'd also advocate the retraining of even oldish central all rounds midfielder as your support DM, or even if he gets good enough defensively as either. My best at he moment, defensively, started out as a 6ft 4" attacking central midfielder. That position at the time was more than filled however and i want my DMs to be as tall as possible to help with long ball threats.

Kinda getting carried away, there's so much i have done to and with this tactic to achieve success that has led me to easily know it is the best out there. For example you don't get that usual down-tip in the final ten games of the season for example. Idk if that is due to my squad rotation which is heavy due to all the good talent i have brought through or the tactic. I was squad rotating before I used it and the end of the season, defensively wise especially, ended up being like trying to patch up a leaking hull with toilet tissue. Attacking wise it started to get like trying to balance a football on a street light top to get a goal. Idk which changed it but it's gone.

Either way a huge proportion of the thanks and success is due to Mr Rosler and his tactics. The others were good to very~ good imo, (i used them all on other saves extensively), but the XXX set was the only one worthy of my one true Chelsea game. It's utterly supreme and deserves some kind of award.

Thanks for the great feedback.

I know a lot a people jump from tactic to tactic every few 'in game' months or so giving up when they hit there first poor run of form (which you will do with any tactic).

But taking the long term view is definitely the most rewarding way of playing the game.

There is an awful lot of variance in this game.

My latest project was to develop a 442 for all situations using Man City as my team.

Season 1 I won the league with 86 points.

Season 2 I finished second with 80 points, 22 points behind the winners Chelsea with a stronger team than season 1.

Season 3 I won the League easily with 92 points and did the quadruple.

It would have been very easy to have given up on the tactic after season 2, but instead I thought, 'no, I want to play a high tempo, wing based 442, this is my footballing indentity'. How can I be more successful without touching the tactic.

So I gave a lot of thought to player recruitment, managing morale better, considering team talks more carefully, resting and rotating players..... in other words just be better at the game and the result was a very dominant quadruple.

Now i'm back in Skrill South starting another Tonbridge Angels save, season 1 i'm stuck with the squad i'm given, i've loaded my player filters and adjusted them down to Skrill South levels (a minimum of 7 in each key attribute) and only 1 of my players is suitable for the role i'm asking him to play.

The beauty is, all of their contracts expire at the end of this season, his will be the only one renewed, I can then recruit a team in my own image based on the type of players I want and require for my player roles. Even with the 'wrong' players I can see the tactic is functioning well at this level and I might scrape into the playoffs with a media prediction of 17th. So i KNOW with players suited to the tactic I will move quickly through the leagues.

So the point is, the game is flexible enough for you to DECIDE what kind of football YOU want to play and then find or build a tactic or set of tactics which fulfills that.

The point is you must stick with this vision, through thick and thin, recruit players with attributes that will bring this vision to life, learn to motivate and keep players in peak mental and physical condition all of which will ultimately enable you to perfect it over many seasons and enable you to fulfill your goals.

Tonbridge Angels under my stewardship WILL win the Premier League and the Champions League within the next 20 seasons. And they'll do it playing a high tempo, fairly direct, winger based, 'old fashioned' 442. I will never recruit an AMC or DM and anyone who so much as mentions Tiki - Taka will get frog marched off the premises.

Stamping my IDENTITY on a football club and building a team in my OWN IMAGE is what keeps bringing me back for more.

The XXX set ticked all the boxes for Dirty Harry, there are other great tactics out there as well as advice on building your own. Point is you have to play the 'Long Game', planning 5 or 6 seasons ahead or more. I believe to truly get the best out of the game you need to be prepared to make that commitment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just downloaded the away tactic, seemed to be as bad as any other in the first half in regards to playing away, second half after a telling off, came from 1-0 down to win 4-1 from nowhere, liking what it does in regards to counter attacking, and strikers shooting.

• 3 weeks later...
Trying this set out as after a fantastic first season with Everton using DOM set second season didn't really work out.

With XXX I am finding that my home form is great but my away form is the worst in the league. I am shipping in goals.

I've got a new tactic that's been sensational non-league. Won Skrill Premier when media prediction was 19th. I conceded 21 less goals than any team in the division with a pants team. Just testing now to see if this transfers to a Top League.

I've got a new tactic that's been sensational non-league. Won Skrill Premier when media prediction was 19th. I conceded 21 less goals than any team in the division with a pants team. Just testing now to see if this transfers to a Top League.

Looking forward to it Mr Rosler, thank you.

I don't think FM14 is going to be remembered as one of the great versions of FM.

Archived