The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would really like to give it a try, but the new match engine is so wasted !

Central defenders lose every balls in front of goals, and the bug of conceeding goals from corners is stronger than ever ! it's a shame because the tactic 14.2 looks really promising.

Did you remove 'run at defence' in the end? I saw you were thinking about it earlier, haven't had chance to download the update yet. Would that remove a lot of the key threat from the full backs/CM?

Yeah removed that.

The players that matter still do it as its in there player instructions either by default in the role or because i've put the instruction there.

Just didn't want the box to box guys and anchor getting caught in possession, i would rather they just passed it.

Thanks Uwe, I'll be turning again to your tactics as mine are completely destroyed due to the latest patch while yours aren't working anymore for me too. I'm a bit frustrated as your V4 and Silk&Steel worked excellent while after the patch I'm really losing ALL my games (from 5 to 14 in a row and sacked...)

I've tried to continue with my own tactics who worked good as well, but with my tactics it's even worse. With V4 and Silk&Steel I'm beaten 2-0, 3-1 and stuff like that while my tactics are being hammered by the AI. (5-1, 6-2, etc...)

Going to try your alpha-version now I just hope the key attributes didn't change for every position?

no the attributes haven't changed. You're good to go.

Corners.

Defending corners has become a bit of mess. I don't concede many using the set up in 14.2 ALPHA (2 in 14 games) but as we are packing the penalty area there are some ridiculous goal mouth scrambles with shots cannoning into players from all over the place, you think you gonna concede but you rarely do.

Unfortunately counter attacks are now rare but i'd take that to not concede from corners. Once i'm fluid and i've got match training on 'def set pieces' it should be even better.

Attacking corners has not been great using the near post routine. I'm gonna rethink this. I've scored 1 corner 14 games which is a bit 'light'.

I would really like to give it a try, but the new match engine is so wasted !

Central defenders lose every balls in front of goals, and the bug of conceeding goals from corners is stronger than ever ! it's a shame because the tactic 14.2 looks really promising.

the game is defiinately harder on 14.2. Especially away games. But it is more realistic in my opinion.... APART FROM COMEDY GOALKEEPING!

Have played three games with the new tactic.... which is about 70% at the mo. I tried to upload them to image shack but I cant get them on.. god knows why.

Anyway won both league games 2-1 and lost 1-2 in the FA trophy. I dominated possession but there were a lot less shots than before and in two games they other team out shot me. the games are no way as fun to watch... (looks like skrill premier instead of championship).... I agree its more realistic...set plays feel rather random at the mo... lets see how it plays when 100%

I'm using the Alpha version now. So far I'm scoring a lot from the near post corners (3 goals in 4 matches) but keep in mind my DCs both have 17 jumping and I have a 16 corner taker.

Matches are very close at the moment and I'm struggling to really control the games (pretty even matches, even at home against weaker/even teams). Home field advantage seems even stronger than before, I'm struggling with possession and shots away. I recognized my team does not have a lot of long shots (good) but I also don't have a lot of CCC from open play (bad).

Going round in circles here.

Dont like 'work into box'. Removed that and put 'Pass into space' back on.

Current team instructions are as follows.

SHORTER PASSING

DROP DEEPER

LOWER TEMPO

BE MORE EXPRESSIVE

RETAIN POSSESSION

HASSLE OPPONENTS

PASS INTO SPACE.

I have also added 'DRIBBLE MORE' to full backs.

Bit hard for me to judge with a newly promoted team which is weak relative to the division.

It seems good football is no longer rewarded and 'KICK & RUSH' is the way forward which is disappointing.

Dont really want to develop The Fulcrum - Kick & Rush but I will do if i have to!

Going round in circles here.

Dont like 'work into box'. Removed that and put 'Pass into space' back on.

Current team instructions are as follows.

SHORTER PASSING

DROP DEEPER

LOWER TEMPO

BE MORE EXPRESSIVE

RETAIN POSSESSION

HASSLE OPPONENTS

PASS INTO SPACE.

I have also added 'DRIBBLE MORE' to full backs.

Bit hard for me to judge with a newly promoted team which is weak relative to the division.

It seems good football is no longer rewarded and 'KICK & RUSH' is the way forward which is disappointing.

I agree about work into box. Havent lost a game but we are playing nowhere as near as well as we were.

My view on using the Alpha with a top team (having changed from v4): Work into box kills the effectiveness of crossing from the full backs, which was a key part of the original tactic IMHO. Also I'm having trouble from opposition full backs which I wasn't before, they seem to be able to run the length of the pitch unopposed (haven't figured out which change has caused this). Aside from that, the team is actually playing better looking football. More passes, better ball retention, and a generally more attractive game. Just not dominating as much.

Ive only played one game with these new changes but...

You know the key fixtures... those are the ones you lose and then you see that all the other teams around you lost too.

Well Id just conceded at home to Dartford and I was thinking this aint working when we put in a masterful last 15 mins and ran away 2-1 winners with a goal which was all about passing into space..... to find that all the teams around us had lost!

Possession dropped dramatically but chances increased and we didnt keep getting caught in possession as with 'work the ball'.

Thats me done tonight but tomorrow should be able to finish the season.... 3 points clear of Forest Green and then a gap of ten points.

p.s. my left back rating 7.4.... best for a while.

My view on using the Alpha with a top team (having changed from v4): Work into box kills the effectiveness of crossing from the full backs, which was a key part of the original tactic IMHO. Also I'm having trouble from opposition full backs which I wasn't before, they seem to be able to run the length of the pitch unopposed (haven't figured out which change has caused this). Aside from that, the team is actually playing better looking football. More passes, better ball retention, and a generally more attractive game. Just not dominating as much.

yeah, i'm done with work ball into box.

Played a couple of games with the Alpha tactic, have to say it works quite well, but as mentioned by others, my team doesn't play the kind of attractive football anymore.

About the result it has improved them 100%

First game against a higher rep team was lost 2-1 but after that first game things went smoothly, currently on a 5 streak unbeaten run, 4 w 1 d. GF 19 GA 3. So far so good. (with a pretty mediocre team in terms of attributes as well)

Only problem, no goals from corners and my GK doing stupid interventions luckily enough without conceding goals. About the scrimmages in front of my goal I only can say you're right, due to a packed 16 yard box quite often shots are deflected inside the area canonning all over the place but never in the back of the net so I can live with it, but it's bad for my heart. :D

Uwe, great thanks for all your efforts, it's really appreciated from my side.

Played a couple of games with the Alpha tactic, have to say it works quite well, but as mentioned by others, my team doesn't play the kind of attractive football anymore.

About the result it has improved them 100%

First game against a higher rep team was lost 2-1 but after that first game things went smoothly, currently on a 5 streak unbeaten run, 4 w 1 d. GF 19 GA 3. So far so good. (with a pretty mediocre team in terms of attributes as well)

Only problem, no goals from corners and my GK doing stupid interventions luckily enough without conceding goals. About the scrimmages in front of my goal I only can say you're right, due to a packed 16 yard box quite often shots are deflected inside the area canonning all over the place but never in the back of the net so I can live with it, but it's bad for my heart. :D

Uwe, great thanks for all your efforts, it's really appreciated from my side.

Thanks for the feedback.

Take off 'work into box' and add 'pass into space' and its much more fluid.

Hi. Using Alpha what I have found is that it is still strong at home and you can still dominate games and win convincingly and it still looks decent. The problem is away from home as I have found so far I am not losing but drawing and it is more of a battle.

Playing as Burton in Lg 2 at Home I have won 3-2 and 4-0 but away from home 1-1 twice.

I just really think that it is close to perfect but it just needs a slight away tweak.

However Uwe this is still a outstanding tactic and all credit to you.

So I feel an update is due from me...

Finished that second season in the Premiership. Results were amazing (more below), but still, somewhat annoyingly I fell at the last hurdle in most of the competitions - so hopefully with a few improvements can go even further next season! Unless the patch ruins things as it usually tends to...

In the league finished second - was a very close run race at one point. I beat Chelsea 4-1 at Wembley in FA cup semi, next match was to them at home and I'd go top if I won. But lost 1-0! Had plenty of chances in that game too... Then also lost 1-0 in League cup final to Arsenal, and there I really kicked their butt, 32 shots and 3 CCCs to their 4 shots and 2 CCCs. Maybe it was some karmic payback for their loss to Birmingham a few years ago. Lost in CL semi to Barcelona, but was very pleased to beat Bayern in the quarters. :) And then in the last game of the season won the FA cup, which was extra pleasing cause I have a bit of a rift going with the Everton manager (Billy Davies) who keeps dissing my young squad. "You can't win anything with kids eh..." :D

qkue.png

4k1i.png

The last 4 games were under the new patch, with the old tactics. Results were good but in truth I got absolutely hammered by United and was very lucky to draw 1-1. Still, that could've happened regardless of the tactic. Will try to rebuild the squad a bit in the summer, especially get some good fullbacks and a quality striker, prob a keeper too - and see if I can push on with that. Will go with the new tactics, let you know how it goes :) I hope my set pieces are still effective on the new patch, last season it was a real life-saviour, one CB scoring 11 league goals and the other 7 league, 4 cup goals, and a few assists too, especially from those long throws. Otherwise my strikers would need to up their output.

wset.png

I guess the speed of the next update will depend how bored I will get at family Christmas gatherings ;) And thanks again for the speedy updates Uwe, this is really some amazing work you're doing here with this tactic!

Hi. Using Alpha what I have found is that it is still strong at home and you can still dominate games and win convincingly and it still looks decent. The problem is away from home as I have found so far I am not losing but drawing and it is more of a battle.

Playing as Burton in Lg 2 at Home I have won 3-2 and 4-0 but away from home 1-1 twice.

I just really think that it is close to perfect but it just needs a slight away tweak.

However Uwe this is still a outstanding tactic and all credit to you.

Can you confirm if you still have 'work ball into box' on

thanks

The Alpha tactic seems to be holding up very well in my save so far. Football on display hasn't been too shabby either.

again, Can you confirm if you still have 'work ball into box' on?

trying to get a grip on this

thanks

Corners.

Defending corners has become a bit of mess. I don't concede many using the set up in 14.2 ALPHA (2 in 14 games) but as we are packing the penalty area there are some ridiculous goal mouth scrambles with shots cannoning into players from all over the place, you think you gonna concede but you rarely do.

Unfortunately counter attacks are now rare but i'd take that to not concede from corners. Once i'm fluid and i've got match training on 'def set pieces' it should be even better.

Attacking corners has not been great using the near post routine. I'm gonna rethink this. I've scored 1 corner 14 games which is a bit 'light'.

With respect to corners, I scored 6 in 5 matches using a slightly amended routine based on the initial S&S.

Left target at far post. Both defenders attacking near and far post respectively. MCa lurk outside area. F9 near post flick-on. FBs both stay back when needed.

3 goals from the DC attacking the near post, one from the other DC and two more from shots after deflections or scrambles.

Works a treat in that respect so far :)

However, as posted before, tactic seems currently even a bit too reliant on the goals coming from there...

Great tactics Uwe. Just finished 3rd season with Southend, won promotion every season. This season through playoffs, expected to get relegated. Being using S and S tactic this season. Looking forward to next season in Premiership, will use SS14.2 tactic from the start.

Quick comment on specs for the complete forward role but please remember this is based on skrill where specs may need to be different. For me the absolute killer spec is acceleration. This season my two first choice complete fowards have been Danny Mills, considered a good player for skrill prem..... and Anton Massey, a 16 year old regen, considered a good skrill n/s

Their required specs are:

Mills - off the ball 9 , finishing 11, composure 9. ACCELERATİON 15

Massey - off the ball 10, finishing 8, composure 5, ACCELERATİON -16

And their records?

Mills - 16(5) - 15 goals

Massey - 27(5) - 23 goals

Acceleration as been the deal-breaker.

With respect to corners, I scored 6 in 5 matches using a slightly amended routine based on the initial S&S.

Left target at far post. Both defenders attacking near and far post respectively. MCa lurk outside area. F9 near post flick-on. FBs both stay back when needed.

3 goals from the DC attacking the near post, one from the other DC and two more from shots after deflections or scrambles.

Works a treat in that respect so far :)

However, as posted before, tactic seems currently even a bit too reliant on the goals coming from there...

I've not been getting many from corners, but my highest corner taker has only 12 attribute at the moment,

I'm seeing a lot of great goals from thru balls in open play so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be seeing that?

Quick comment on specs for the complete forward role but please remember this is based on skrill where specs may need to be different. For me the absolute killer spec is acceleration. This season my two first choice complete fowards have been Danny Mills, considered a good player for skrill prem..... and Anton Massey, a 16 year old regen, considered a good skrill n/s

Their required specs are:

Mills - off the ball 9 , finishing 11, composure 9. ACCELERATİON 15

Massey - off the ball 10, finishing 8, composure 5, ACCELERATİON -16

And their records?

Mills - 16(5) - 15 goals

Massey - 27(5) - 23 goals

Acceleration as been the deal-breaker.

Agreed acceleration is DEADLY especially in lower leagues. Works in tandem with our thru balls.

Think I will look at the attribute priorities for the strikers. A quick F9 is great to.

I've not been getting many from corners, but my highest corner taker has only 12 attribute at the moment,

I'm seeing a lot of great goals from thru balls in open play so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be seeing that?

Me neither although no question the new SS is an improvement... lets see what happens when we use the new tactic WITH the corner routine....

Results are great, I'm on a 6-game winning run that has propelled my small Paderborn team in a fight for the Bundesliga title against one of the best teams in the world, FC Bayern. With 5 games left we're level on points and we're playing at Bayern in the final game of the season. What a matchup...

However, I still struggle scoring from open play, so I'm very reliant on scoring from set pieces (the Albaek-to-Kara-connection is deadly on corners).

EDIT: And yes, 'work ball into box' was already switched off.

Got Coventry out of the championship 1st time of asking using silk and steel, so going to the premier league with not a single premier league player my FM has just updated to 14.2 so going to change to S&S 14.2, hope it don't affect my complete forward(Callum Wilson) he's been on fire 1st 2 seasons!!

Got Coventry out of the championship 1st time of asking using silk and steel, so going to the premier league with not a single premier league player my FM has just updated to 14.2 so going to change to S&S 14.2, hope it don't affect my complete forward(Callum Wilson) he's been on fire 1st 2 seasons!!

Well done, however ME 14.2 is a different beast.

What are your expectations for your first season in the Prem out of interest? (not the board's, yours personally)

Well done, however ME 14.2 is a different beast.

What are your expectations for your first season in the Prem out of interest? (not the board's, yours personally)

On the old ME would have been to finish mid-table and have a decent cup run, but with the change of ME and tactic gotta be to just stay up i guess. Not really been able to do great business in the transfer market again, can't get this board to loosen the purse strings!

On the old ME would have been to finish mid-table and have a decent cup run, but with the change of ME and tactic gotta be to just stay up i guess. Not really been able to do great business in the transfer market again, can't get this board to loosen the purse strings!

Very interested to see how it goes.

Keep us posted!

Well finally clinched the Skrill prem with three games to go....

h7c7.png

The new tactic (4.2) fixtures were after the Nuneaton game. As you cans ee they were very good until the last two games. I think that was more to nerves because we could have won the title at both games but in the end needed others to lose. The corner routine did nothing for me so suggest you stick to Uwes near post.

tos9.png

Now for a three game hols and then think about league 2...

Managed to win the Bundesliga with Paderborn. It all came down to the last game of the season, we had to travel to Munich to play Bayern at Allianz Arena. We were up by 1 point so we needed a draw to clinch the championship. Bayern were dominant all game but struggled to create clear chances. Our keeper (Timo Horn) had a good day and we managed to score on a rare counter just after half-time. Bayern were dominating (about 70% possession and 30-6 shots) but they only managed to score a late goal in injury-time so the match ended 1-1 and we were league champs.

Now starting to plan for next season which will see SC Paderborn playing in the Champions League for the first time in club history. My transfer budget is around 17m Euro, I'm currently trying to offload some backups to maybe bring it up to around 25-30. I have a solid core team now, so I will change my transfer strategy from bringing in cheap bargains to spending more money on just a few (2-3) quality players who can really send us to a new level.

Last season's success and CL qualification should give my team a reputation bump. Does anyone know when exactly (date) the reputation changes take place in Germany?

Managed to win the Bundesliga with Paderborn. It all came down to the last game of the season, we had to travel to Munich to play Bayern at Allianz Arena. We were up by 1 point so we needed a draw to clinch the championship. Bayern were dominant all game but struggled to create clear chances. Our keeper (Timo Horn) had a good day and we managed to score on a rare counter just after half-time. Bayern were dominating (about 70% possession and 30-6 shots) but they only managed to score a late goal in injury-time so the match ended 1-1 and we were league champs.

Now starting to plan for next season which will see SC Paderborn playing in the Champions League for the first time in club history. My transfer budget is around 17m Euro, I'm currently trying to offload some backups to maybe bring it up to around 25-30. I have a solid core team now, so I will change my transfer strategy from bringing in cheap bargains to spending more money on just a few (2-3) quality players who can really send us to a new level.

Last season's success and CL qualification should give my team a reputation bump. Does anyone know when exactly (date) the reputation changes take place in Germany?

Well done mate,

its normally about 5/6 weeks before the season starts. Not sure exactly when in Germany.

First season in League 1. Pretty weak team following promotion. ME 14.2 all the way.

Was tweaking tactics all the way through to the last couple of months of the season when I finally settled on my 14.2 tactic. Then went on monster run of 8 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 games of the season.

Only scored 8 goals from corners all season.

Only conceded 5 goals from corners all season despite some 'Keystone Cops' style capers in my 6 yards box :lol:

exj8.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kfmh.png

qpzb.png

Overall satisfied with the season and the fact that the Fulcrum has survived another Match Engine update (think that's 7 now) by, in the end, simply removing 'run at defence' and adding 'retain possession' to team instructions and adding 'dribble more' to the full backs.

looking forward to next season and hope i can improve the squad a little!

Rosler - First two seasons back to back promotions (Preston) using other peoples tactics, first season in prem and without using your recruitment guide i managed a 7th place finish with your tactic so i was very pleased indeed, it helped in january bringing in a couple of players that matched your attributes. Currently my 4th season (2nd in prem) im sitting top after 11 games winning 9 and losing 2 so again very happy, it helps i had money to spend as my wage budget was so low (made loads of money) and got a lot from my 7th place finish. Currently in the process of a ground rebuild which will be finished at the end of the season so that should help having a bigger stadium as well, currently sharing with blackburn rovers at ewood.

Anyway its going great guns, thanks for the detailed post and the tactic.

The update you put together as pretty much carried on where the last tactic left off.

Thanks again.

The only positions I seem to have problems to adequately fill are DMC and CF. For the DMC there are always lots of good anchor-man type of players but they usually lack the physical dominance we're searching for and the few ones that would fit (e.g. Javi Martinez, Kondogbia) are out of my range. If I specifically search for a DMC with dominant physical abilities (jumping, strength) I'll usually find those centre-back types who are just awfully slow. As for the CF, there are lots of occasions where they look great at first but if you take a closer look they're just missing one key ingredient (e.g. low composure or acceleration). For the next season I've brought in Jean-Marie Dongou, a young speedster who starts at Barcelona B and has Spanish/Cameroonian dual nationality. Looks great on paper but my scout said he's very injury prone. Took a flyer on him because his contract with Barcelona was up. He'll compete with Teemu Pukki (who only scored 9 last season) for the CF spot along with Paulo Dybala at F9.

If I can find a good, physical starting DMC who fits the mold and some depth at fullback I'm happy with my squad and ready to start the season. Champions League, here we come...

Quick 5 games this morning before work and 5 wins. That puts my current run of 15 games, 13 wins and 2 draws,

Agree standout Anchor men are hard to find but my League 2 rated DM from last season had the 3rd best match rating in my squad despite no goals or assists.

If they can tackle and are good in the air they don't need to be world beaters.

Archived