The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HELP!!!

I've found a Brazilian newgen who I could bring in on a free transfer for next season. He has everything you look for in a striker but only has 5 in composure.

Here are some key ratings:

Striker, 20 yrs old, Brazil

16 finishing, 15 1st touch, 14 heading, 15 passing, 17 technique, 13 concentration, 16 determination, 16 off the ball, 17 acc/pace

But only 5 composure. For his last club he performed quite well (18 games, 12 goals for AZ Alkmaar). Should I bring him in or is 5 composure a no-go?

HELP!!!

I've found a Brazilian newgen who I could bring in on a free transfer for next season. He has everything you look for in a striker but only has 5 in composure.

16 finishing, 15 1st touch, 14 heading, 15 passing, 17 technique, 13 concentration, 16 determination, 16 off the ball, 17 acc/pace

But only 5 composure. For his last club he performed quite well (18 games, 12 goals for AZ Alkmaar). Should I bring him in or is 5 composure a no-go?

Also maybe try 'takes first time shots' PPM so he is a bit more of an instinctive finisher.

HELP!!!

Nevermind, he rejected my offer and signed for Vasco da Gama. Seems I forgot that Paderborn are still a small club, even though I'm on course to maybe reach the Champions League for the first time in club history.

The first thing that I notice after the latest update is that my team can't take no corners anymore. They're aiming them towards the crossbar ;) (no joke, truly all my corners flew towards the cross bar, unfortunately not one flew in directly)

And, believe it or not, first game a 4-2 win to be beaten now 2-0 twice in a row... ??? In fact, I still play with my hometown-club KV Mechelen, at home I've won 4-2 against Anderlecht (like if Aston Villa beats Man Utd at home for the English), then away to Ghent, 2-0 down (losing away to, f.e. Newcastle isn't really a shame for Villa), at home against Lokeren (take it like Villa-Southampton) again a 2-0 loss.

Yeah, everyone's tactical familiarity takes a hit. It recovers but that doesn't help you if you got updated just before some big games.

I will have a good look at everything, especially corners to see what's going on.

Still seems solid enough scoring wise since the new update, however I have conceeded a shed load more, albeit i have only tested it on 8 games, 1st game 5-0 win, 2nd game, 1-0 won, 3rd game, 5-2 win, 4th game, 2-1 win, This is when the new update kicked in, 5th game, 2-2 draw, 6th game, 6-2 loss, 7th game 2-2 draw, 8th game 4-3 win.

As you can see, since the new update has kicked in, i have conceeded 13 goals and scored 9 goals, this could just be a severe coincedence as I am using Caudal Deportivo in Spanish second division b1, if this is the case then hopefully it rectifies itself over a course of time as i build the team - Previous results, 13 goals scored, 3 conceeded.

The only reason that makes me think the update may have affected it is, the results before it were against harder teams, the results afterward were against weaker teams!.

Lost my first 4 matches after the patch after previously coming off a 5 game winning streak before updating. Something has definitely changed, making the tactics less effective. I don't control matches (in terms of overall shots) and I'm conceding a lot from open play.

Well, I notice that after the patch my tactics aren't fluid any more. I'm 2/3 through my season and it seems like everything my team practiced pre-season and all the games we played and all the training we performed through the season is lost. I just hope this isn't going to affect us too much. But I fear the worst.

I'm on a terrible losing streak, 5 losses in a row, can't score anymore while I concede at least 2 a game. Last five results (one game against a higher rep team, the other games against teams with equal or lower rep), 0-2, 0-2, 0-1, 1-3 and 0-2...

Dropped from 4th to 7th with one game left. (in Belgium the first six play for the title in a play off system while 7-14 play a dull Play Off System for an eventual European spot) so, it seems I'll be in the second play off while I was top six the entire season...Stupid update... :D

Restarted my save as Boston United, and used this tactic from day 1, and am now into January - just suffered my first defeat of the season - in the FA Cup 3rd Round! Got drawn away to QPR, and found ourselves 6-0 down at half-time. Ended 8-1, but earnt us over £200k in gate receipts.

I haven't updated to the new patch, as I haven't restarted FM since the update... got the tactic almost fluid, and I'm expecting that to go down when I do update.

I'm using a combination of V4 and this new tactic but can't seem to get out of a terrible run of form. I was unbeaten in 16 games, playing teams off the park and now I'm conceding goals all the time!

Are people finding this tactic to be just as effective with the new 14.2 patch? I've noticed the patch has reduced my teams fluidity in all the trained tactics which is frustrating considering they were maxed out before downloading it.

I've a had a good pre-season but real stuff is about to get started with the league 1 campaign.

Even with a full pre-season my tactic is nowhere near fluid, for some reason closing down and passing are still awkward, its like i've just restarted my save and its season 1 familiarity issues all over again.

I have a half decent first team following promotion but my back ups are mainly Skrill Prem players, i would consider a top 10 finish this season to be success Predicted to be last as usual.

Some pretty obvious stuff popping up, i'll point them out as i go along and tweak the tactic accordingly.

First and foremost.

Corners;

You need in-swinging corners now. Out-swinging either go straight out of play or are easily defended.

get left footers taking the right sided corners and right footers taking your left sided corners.

Good news is i've got an excellent new corner routine.

Bad news is i'm conceding them at the other end. looks like we're gonna have to flood the penalty area with players.

Looks like 'hassle opponents' is going to have to come off, too many free kicks and penalties.

Also 'run at defence' as players getting caught in possession.

Good news is i've got an excellent new corner routine.

Bad news is i'm conceding them at the other end. looks like we're gonna have to flood the penalty area with players.

Looks like 'hassle opponents' is going to have to come off, too many free kicks and penalties.

Also 'run at defence' as players getting caught in possession.

where do you aim the corners?

Finished 4-2. 35 shots for me, 10 for them. Pretty impressive, however there is a lot of long shots again which I presume is the match engine. My central midfielder was shooting fro 35-40 yards rather than playing obvious through balls (albeit one of the 40 yarders hit the top corner!). I'll give it a few more games and see if I can recreate some of my early season form.

Finished 4-2. 35 shots for me, 10 for them. Pretty impressive, however there is a lot of long shots again which I presume is the match engine. My central midfielder was shooting fro 35-40 yards rather than playing obvious through balls (albeit one of the 40 yarders hit the top corner!). I'll give it a few more games and see if I can recreate some of my early season form.

i've added 'work ball into box' to try and reduce the 40 yard shots going out for throw ins!

It's not just my first team who are impressing in cups with this tactic - my youth team just won 3-1 at Leeds to get into the Youth Cup Quarter Finals. Beaten Norwich as well. I'm not managing them, but they are set to use the same tactic as the 1st team.

My frist impression under the 14.2 update with Wolves.

P5 W5.

However, many goals from corners, 6 scored in 5 matches (1 conceded). Losing the possession battle more often than not and not always winning convincingly.

Further observations: Many long shots, team pretty streched due do defenders dropping back.

However, that's at the start of the season before having achieved familiarity and actually after taking a familiarity hit due to the update. Thus, still looking good overall. :)

Getting mixed messages here.

My own feeling is that player attributes are much more relevant post update.

Players with poor passing actually make poor passes and give the ball away. You can see the advantage quick players have much more clearly.

So its harder to over come the 'attribute deficit' when your team is faced with one with better players.

This should actually help those of you playing with good teams, but hurt those of us moving up the leagues. Its much more realistic this way.

I agree that possession has become more important.

i would be obliged if some of you would trial the tactic below and let me know if you think its a step in the right direction.

Basically we have removed 'hassle opponenents' to stop conceding free kicks and penalties and to stop players being pulled out of position.

We have removed 'pass into space' added 'work ball into box' and 'retain possession' to try and have more control over the ball (possession) and basically play a more patient and cultured game.

i have also removed 'drilled crosses' as headers are much more dangerous now.

*** My worry is that we may have slowed down play a bit too much ***

many thanks

https://www.mediafire.com/?6cstsrj63g95djh

Players with poor passing actually make poor passes and give the ball away. You can see the advantage quick players have much more clearly.

So its harder to over come the 'attribute deficit' when your team is faced with one with better players.

This should actually help those of you playing with good teams, but hurt those of us moving up the leagues. Its much more realistic this way.

i would be obliged if some of you would trial the tactic below and let me know if you think its a step in the right direction.

Basically we have removed 'hassle opponenents' to stop conceding free kicks and penalties and to stop players being pulled out of position.

We have removed 'pass into space' added 'work ball into box' and 'retain possession' to try and have more control over the ball (possession) and basically play a more patient and cultured game.

many thanks

https://www.mediafire.com/?zi8df13iprdt6hc

On my way home and will try when I get there... will run a parallel game with it.

many thanks

https://www.mediafire.com/?zi8df13iprdt6hc

I've put hassle opponents back on the above tactic. just cant bare to watch my opponents have time and space on the ball.

Hi Uwe,

You've got a great tactic here!!! I'm doing great with Tottenham at the moment took over last season won the Europa League and Super cup and finished runner up!

Got a question though, I seem to be having loads of shots around 20.30 a game but only have maybe 8-10 on target which is resulting in my losing and drawing games. Got 4 forwards all capable Nelson Olivera, Jordan Rhoades, Gonzalo Higuaín and a young Argetine boy, all very capable,

Struggled a bit last season aswell with this

Any tips on how to resolve the problem?

Hi Uwe,

You've got a great tactic here!!! I'm doing great with Tottenham at the moment took over last season won the Europa League and Super cup and finished runner up!

Got a question though, I seem to be having loads of shots around 20.30 a game but only have maybe 8-10 on target which is resulting in my losing and drawing games. Got 4 forwards all capable Nelson Olivera, Jordan Rhoades, Gonzalo Higuaín and a young Argetine boy, all very capable,

Struggled a bit last season aswell with this

Any tips on how to resolve the problem?

I assume you're on 14.2?

Try the 'alpha' tactic a few posts up.

Bit more patient attacking play. Same formation/player roles etc just tweaked team instructions.

Thanks Uwe, I'll be turning again to your tactics as mine are completely destroyed due to the latest patch while yours aren't working anymore for me too. I'm a bit frustrated as your V4 and Silk&Steel worked excellent while after the patch I'm really losing ALL my games (from 5 to 14 in a row and sacked...)

I've tried to continue with my own tactics who worked good as well, but with my tactics it's even worse. With V4 and Silk&Steel I'm beaten 2-0, 3-1 and stuff like that while my tactics are being hammered by the AI. (5-1, 6-2, etc...)

Going to try your alpha-version now I just hope the key attributes didn't change for every position?

Archived