20 Long Shots, 20 Composure & 20 Technique - What PPMs would you add for the master of goals?

I want to turn my CM into the most deadly long distance threat in football.

Cant decide what PPMs to add though as I dont know how the work within the game.

For example, shoots with power or places shots? I dont want him to blast it if it sacrifices proper placement, whilst I also dont want him to gift the ball to the keeper through a lack of power.

Shoots with power tends to be better for long range effort, as the keeper ordinarily has so much time to adjust, it needs to be powerful to beat him - according to SFrasers thread on places shots v shoots with power

What llama3 said. IIRC, SFraser also suggested that the position of the player was important.

If the player is shooting from wide e.g. a winger, IF, or striker that moves into channels, they've not got much goal to aim at so accurate placement of the shot against an advancing keeper is important. Whereas in the case of the OP's player, they're a CM. The keeper as aforementioned has time to adjust but there is a lot more goal to aim at. Put those two together and going for power is best.

As the player concerned has high technique and composure, there's a lot more chance of his shots flying into the top corner as opposed to row Z!

One extra thing though, what are his decisions like? From what I've read elsewhere, poor decisions might increase the likelihood of using the PPM in inappropriate situations so it might be worth checking this first.

If it's a player you've developed naturally, I'd go long shots often and hits with power, then leave it at that.

If it's an edited player I'd suggest also looking at first touch (so he can control and shoot rather than hitting it without proper control), decisions (so he knows when to shoot and when not to) and flair (so he sees chances others wouldn't) at 20 too.

Creativity to see the shooting opportunity; decisions to know the time is right for a shot when an opportunity exists to shoot; finishing to know how to beat the 'keeper (shot placement); flair to be unpredictable (in this case, probably the timing of the shot, or to shoot when an opportunity would be less obvious to a less gifted player, or to place the ball on the opposite side of the goal to what might be expected, etc); long shots to hit the target from distance; technique to hit the ball cleanly under all circumstances; concentration to be focused enough to do all of the above; composure to be relaxed enough to put it all together in one terrifying package.

If a player has some/all of the above to a high extent, they will consistently take chances at range (or, at least, test the goalkeeper). Finishing is slightly less important at range but if you pay close attention you'll notice that long distance scorers frequently have decent finishing as well as long shots.

In terms of PPMs, only three will have any bearing on goalscoring from range: places shots (weights carefully evaluated shots above chancey efforts, so a player with the requisite mental attributes [decisions, flair, creativity, composure, concentration] will make better use of those abilities, generally), shoots with power (requires high technique and decisions or shots will be wild and over the bar - decisions is needed because the player needs to determine whether to shoot, and whether they have the technique to take the shot), and shoots first time (requires frankly fantastic attributes all-around, else a lot of wild shots).

None of them are really necessary but my experimentation with editing when I get bored indicates that those PPMs increase the number of chances taken if a player scores highly in the right attributes.

Likewise and a bit off-topic but in the same area, "arrives late in opposition area" in concert with "comes deep to get ball" can be an amazingly dangerous combination in a fast centre-forward with great off the ball ability...

I want to turn my CM into the most deadly long distance threat in football.

Cant decide what PPMs to add though as I dont know how the work within the game.

For example, shoots with power or places shots? I dont want him to blast it if it sacrifices proper placement, whilst I also dont want him to gift the ball to the keeper through a lack of power.

I'd say it depends what kind of role he plays for your team. Is he attacking or defensive CM, is he playmaking or running into the box CM?

I think you are correct, creativity is his field of vision and flair is like a toolbox of tricks he can try pull off. More flair more tricks.

Creativity would be more along the lines of picking passes wouldn't it? While flair is "doing the unexpected", so if the keeper is slightly off his line, trying to chip him from the half way line.

Creativity would be more along the lines of picking passes wouldn't it? While flair is "doing the unexpected", so if the keeper is slightly off his line, trying to chip him from the half way line.

Creativity is the ability to see all available options and nothing to do with picking anything this is still down to decision making etc. Basically its a players vision.

Curls Ball, if your player has it would be a valuable PPM to have if you expect him to be shooting like a minigun throughout a match. He can bend the shot around defenders or bend it out of the keeper's reach. Think how Beckham strikes his free kicks, but in open play.

Archived