Red Star Over France

Jason the Yank

7 May, 2015

Torns IF 3-0 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

A poor performance all around, but not helped by my decision to have the squad play in a reserves match 4 days earlier in an attempt to build up the match fitness that's still lacking. We had a few chances early on, but were quickly gassed and unable to put up much of a fight.

14 May, 2015

BK Olympic 3-2 Halmia (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

If it ain't rough, it ain't right. My backup goalkeeper came to me complaining about his lack of playing time, and I figured he couldn't do much worse than the other guy. I also opted for a 4-4-2 diamond. It looked all for naught though as we fell behind in the 6th minute through a thumping free kick, and conceded a second when our goalkeeper made a save at his left post, only to deflect it into the path of a Halmia forward at the right post, who headed it back off the left post and into the net. We were getting chances though, so I focused on bucking up the team's morale at halftime. We pulled one back in the 54th. I subbed off the goal scorer a few minutes later as he was getting tired; his replacement Blerim Mullici grabbed goals in the 78th and 88th minutes to give us the lead. Halmia went down a man in the 90th minute (I'm not sure what exactly happened as I was in the tactics screen switching us into park-the-bus mode), and we were able to claim all 3 points.

21 May, 2015

BK Olympic 2-1 Nike (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

Well after a good win, I sure as hell didn't want to throw away points against the side propping up the table. I decided to stick with the 4-4-2 diamond, but I opted to give Mullici a start as a reward for his brace. Instead we had a very lethargic first half, with Nike hitting the post THREE times. But we took the lead just before halftime on our first shot on target (and maybe our first shot of the entire match?) I still wasn't thrilled, so I cautiously told the team I wasn't happy with what I'd seen. That seemed to rattle them a bit, though I was mostly able to correct it in individual talks. With us holding the lead late, I made double substitution and switched to the 4-1-4-1 ... and Nike pretty much went straight downfield and scored to level the match. Not wanting to just get a draw at home against this lot (and with results elsewhere dropping us into the relegation spots), I switched out to an attacking 4-2-3-1. It looked like we'd only get a share of the points, but Goran Lindahl came marauding up from his left back spot and grabbed the winner on 87 minutes.

28 May, 2015

Eskilsminne 4-0 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

A trip to the new table-toppers, so I opted to go with the 4-1-4-1. It didn't work though, as we were behind after 90 seconds and chasing the game from there. It was 2-0 at halftime, so I switched to an attacking minded 4-2-3-1, and we were just as poor in that setup.

After the match the board demanded a meeting, saying they felt we should have done much better.

[b]Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland (Through 7 of 22 rounds)[/b]
1. Eskilsminne	16
2. Hollivken	14
3. Hogaborg	12 (+2)
4. Klagshamn	12 (-1)
5. Ljungby	11 (+5)
6. IFK Hassle.	11 (+4)
7. Halmia	11 (+2)
8. Torns IF	10
9. Haga		7 (-6)
------------------
10.BK OLYMPIC	7 (-8)
------------------
11.FK Karlskr.	6
12.Nike		2

Manager's thoughts

So a 50% win ratio for the month, though the heavy defeats bookending our wins were not pleasant.

It's evident this team needs a lot of work. With 8 goals scored, we're next-to-last in the division; our 16 goals against is third from bottom. I feel like our attack is further ahead though, as we are creating chances, we're just not very good at finishing them. Our defense is woeful though, with our back four regularly picking up ratings in the 4.0-5.8 range.

I may not get much time to fix things though. The board want a respectable position, and are disappointed we appear destined for a relegation fight. My job is already "very insecure" after just 7 games.

We get a chance to right the ship though, as we begin the month of June with a relegation six-pointer against FK Karlskrona. We follow that with a trip to Ljungby (5th), home against Klagshamn (4th) and away to Haga (9th) to close the first half of the season. Probably at a minimum I'll need to beat Karlskrona to keep my job (for now). Another 50% win month could help us start to pull away from the relegation fight.

4 June, 2015

BK Olympic 3-2 FK Karlskrona (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

So again with my job hanging by a thread, and with home match against the side just behind us in the relegation zone. I decided to go with the 4-4-2 diamond that had brought us our first (*cough*only*cough*) wins of the season. Questions were asked on both sides in the first 5 minutes ... then nothing of note happened until the halftime whistle. It was in the second half that things got crazy. We took the lead shortly after the restart when a Karlskrona defender put the ball into his own net trying to clear it off the line (tbf, one of our forwards was right on top of him). But Karlskrona equalized in the 57th minute by sending a free kick through a gap in our defensive wall, and took the lead 7 minutes later. Surely this would be the end for me? But with us frantically attacking, Patrick Burda was brought down in the penalty area as he broke in on goal. He cooly slotted the penalty to equalize in the 87th minute. We kept pushing looking for the winner, and Burda found it 2 minutes into stoppage time.

BTW, Eskilminne, whose 4-0 home win over us put my job in jeopardy? They won their next game away against Hollviken. 8-0. There was one penalty, no red cards. So maybe my board should listen to me when I say they were that good.

5 June 2015

The previous starting goalkeeper comes to me moaning about not getting first team football. I point out he had a chance and failed at it. Needless to say, he's not particularly happy with me right now.

11 June, 2015

Ljungby 2-0 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

3 wins from 3 tries certainly speaks to the effectiveness of our 4-4-2 diamond, so I decided to stick with it. Coming into the game, my job status was listed as "stable", but a media report coming in said a bad result could see me get the sack. We fell behind after 10 minutes when a Ljungby midfielder created some space outside the box and managed to hit a thumping goal. We hung in there though, but in the second half as I had a double-substitution lined up to replace my left back (having another nightmarish effort) and advanced forward, the left back was beaten like a rented mule, leading to a headed cross just floating over the outstretched arms of our goalkeeper. We went to an attacking mentality and managed to carry the play, but couldn't get back into the game. And my job status returns to "very insecure".

18 June, 2015

BK Olympic 6-2 Klagshamn (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

Where the hell did that come from? Always a tough ask to welcome the team sitting second in the table when your job is hanging by a thread. I called out the team for their poor performance against Ljungby, but otherwise kept the instructions simple; instead of four or five things, I said simply "Get stuck in." And it was glorious. We were up 2-0 inside of 10 minutes, 3-0 inside 25, and 4-0 after 28 minutes. It went into halftime that way, but we really could have been 5- or 6-0 up. We did get the fifth soon after the restar. We lost the clean sheet in the 61st minute as our players started to tire and gaps began appearing in the defense, but we re-established the five-goal advantage just 3 minutes later. Sadly Klagshamn broke free in stoppage time, so we won "only" 6-2. A quite stunning performance from the boys in green. We're starting to create a fortress though, winning 4 of our 5 home matches.

25 June, 2015

Haga 4-4 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

The reports said Haga was most vulnerable to 4-2-3-1, but I resisted the temptation and fielded an unchanged 4-4-2 diamond. We fell behind after 7 minutes when Haga scored on a hopeful effort from about 40 yards out. But two goals late allowed us to go into halftime with a 2-1 lead. We extended the advantage in the 63rd and looked like a good bet to take our first away victory of the season. But then we had a nightmarish 7 minute span in which we conceded three goals to fall behind (one coming when I had a substitution lined up for my right back who was on a yellow and otherwise not playing well. Naturally he got abused on the third of those three goals). But a nice goal from a tight angle in the 81st minute managed to rescue a draw for us.

[b]Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland (through 11 of 22 rounds)[/b]
1. Eskilsminne	23
2. Halmia	21 (+7)
3. Klagshamn	21 (0)
4. Ljungby	18
5. Hogaborg	16
6. Torns IF	15 (+4)
7. Hollviken	15 (-6)
8. BK OLYMPIC	14 (-5)
9. IFK Hassle.	14 (-6)
------------------
10.Haga		12
------------------
11.FK Karlskro.	9
12.Nike		7

Manager's thoughts

Well it's definitely been a thrill ride in June. From probably 5 minutes away from getting the sack, we manage to pick up 7 points from 12 to double our tally, and really should have got 9, not to mention being involved in not one but two 8-goal battles.

Our defending has been nothing short of comical though, as we're pretty having to play Keeganball and outscore our opponents. Fortunately the move to a 4-4-2 diamond has worked a treat, especially the insertion of Rani Hadrous up top alongside Patrik Burda. They're quickly developing a good understanding of each other.

In some ways though, the hard part is just beginning. As we go into the back half of the league campaign, we have away matches against Karlskrona and Nike and we're having a tough time of it on the road. July shapes up as intriguing month: Away to Hogaborg (5th), followed by home matches against Hollviken (7th) and IFK Hassleholm (9th), before close the month with away matches against Halmia (2nd) and Nike (12th). The league is still tight enough that if we could get any kind of consistency, we could rocket up the table. At 9 points adrift, the title and promotion are probably out of reach, but a few wins could at least land us in the top half and meet the board's expectations.

The transfer window reopens at the beginning of August. I definitely need to find some better defenders, especially at left and right back. Although all the back really needs an upgrade, my centerbacks are enough to at least get by with.

2 July 2015

Hogaborg 3-0 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

A typically poor away "effort" from us. We were down only 1-0 at halftime, but even though the team was fired up by my talk, they didn't play any better after the restart.

4 July, 2015

IF Sylvia in the First Division South sack their manager. I'm listed as 3-1, and second favorite to get the job. The other two contenders are both unemployed. The media asks me if I'm interested in the job, but I say they're just rumors and there has been no contact.

9 July, 2015

BK Olympic 0-3 Hollviken (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

Went into halftime 0-0, I told the team to get revenge for our earlier defeat to Holliviken, they were motivated by my talk. And then shipped 3 goals in the first 10 minutes after the restart.

16 July, 2015

BK Olympic 1-1 IFK Hassleholm (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

Down much of the game, but rescued a point in second-half stoppage time. Had a goal waved off a couple minutes earlier after our defensive midfielder broke forward a step too quickly on a free kick.

16 July, 2015

Second Division - West Gotaland side Qviding, sitting 9th, sack their manager and I'm the bookies' favorite to be appointed. They're 9th, we're 9th. Talk about a lateral move. No thanks.

23 July, 2015

Halmia 4-1 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

So we picked up only 1 point from 2 home matches, and now we have to go on the road, where we're awful. And against the 3rd placed side. The match was pretty much over at halftime; we were 3-0 down and our goalkeeper had saved a penalty. Clawed one back shortly after the restart to give ourselves a glimmer of hope, but that was it. My left back got a 4.1 rating, which even given FM 14's harsh ratings for fullbacks is awful.

After the match the board demanded a meeting to explain the result. I tried to explain that the opposition was that good, and they should quit overreacting. I still have my job, for now, but my job status is back to "very insecure."

Updating this now as our match with Nike was postponed due to their cup involvement.

[b]Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland (through 15 of 22 rounds)[/b]
1. Klagshamn	31
2. Halmia	28
3. Eskilsminne	27 (+18)
4. Ljungby	27 (+11)
5. Torns IF	24 (+11)
6. Hollviken	24 (+1)
7. Hogaborg	23
8. Haga		15 (-9)
9. IFK Hassle.	15 (-10)
------------------
10.BK OLYMPIC	15 (-14)
------------------
11.FK Karlskr.	14
12.Nike		9

Manager's thoughts

Well that really sucked. After a good June that looked like it might give us some forward momentum, we can pick up only 1 point from 12 in July, and we were fortunate to get that.

There's just no doubt about, this whole team needs to be rebuilt, and the board was daft for thinking this was a top-half side. If there's a small consolation, it's that the transfer window opens at the start of August. I'll need to hit the loan market pretty hard if I want to keep this team up, and keep my job.

4 Aug. 2015

Sign 17-year-old fullback Dan Andersson on loan from our parent club Landskrona for the remainder of the season. His primary position is left back, but he's right footed so he'll be playing right back (which he's also accomplished at). My ass man and coach both give him 5-star potential ("a leading Second Division SG left-back"), but for now he's 2-1/2 or 2 stars current ability, depending on which guy you ask. He has a determined personality, and the strongest aspect of his game is acceleration. His weakest ability is jumping, but I don't necessarily need him to be a jumper.

5 Aug. 2015

Current BK Olympic centerback and fan favourite Linus Nilsson talks to the media, saying I deserve "the support of the players, board and supporters", and that the board should remain patient with me, "and not make a rash decision in scrambling to appoint a new manager." We'll see if the board takes his words to heart.

6 Aug. 2015

Sign 19-year-old fullback Jonathan Stolth from Oster on loan until the end of the season. He'll be playing left back, hopefully much better than the rubbish we have there now. Again, my coaches see his potential as "a leading Second Division SG left-back", but currently they see him as "a good player" for most sides at this level. He has a "fairly determined" personality, and like Andersson the strongest aspect of his game is acceleration, and the weakest is jumping.

6 Aug. 2015

BK Olympic 0-2 Torns IF (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

Was hoping to grind out a result. Torns hit the woodwork twice in the first half, but we made it to the whistle at 0-0. They went ahead in the 62nd minute though, forcing us to come out of our shell. We pressed for an equalizer, but were undone in the 89th minute when my defendings decided that since the Torns right-wing had passed the ball, there was no need to continue marking him even though he was in the penalty area.

After the match, the fans were critical of my negativity, saying that we looked like the away side. Well, we're ****. So there.

Our six-match winless run is a new club record.

7 Aug. 2015

A lower-league side comes in with an offer for a transfer-listed right midfielder. He's rated at 1/2 star, and hasn't made an appearance in our first team. His contract expires at the end of the season, but apparently this club want him now and offer 25% of the next sale. That's a great offer for me. And will free up a whole $9 in the weekly wage budget.

12 Aug. 2015

Nike 2-1 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

Away to the basement side. This is as good as chance as any for us to pick some points away from home and stop the rot. Looked like we were on our way with a goal just before halftime. But our terrible defending showed up again to cost us as we conceded the winner on 90 minutes.

20 Aug. 2015

BK Olympic 0-3 Eskilsminne (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

I set up very rigidly, hoping to counterattack. But we went into halftime down 1-0, and I gave the team the hairdryer treatment. It had the same effect as Mike Bassett's talk at halftime of England-Mexico.

27 Aug. 2015

FK Karlskrona - BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland

Desperate days now as we've fallen into the drop zone with 4 matches remaining. With fullbacks being so *******, I've decided to put together a 3-1-4-2 in hopes that 3 centerbacks and an anchorman are better than 4 across the back. There were mixed results. We took the lead after 2 minutes, and it looked like the new tactic might be a winning formula. But Karlskrona got goals in the 20th and 86th minutes and it was looking well grim for us. But we managed to rescue a point in stoppage time when Stolth, playing left midfield (which he can do), managed to find some space in the 6-yard box, receive a shockingly pinpoint pass, and bury the equalizer.

[b]Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland (through 19 of 22 rounds)[/b]
1. Klagshamn	36
2. Eskilsminne	35
3. Halmia	33
4. Torns IF	32
5. Ljungby	31
6. Hogaborg	30
7. Hollviken	28
8. Haga		23
9. IFK Hassle.	20
------------------
10.FK Karlskr.	18
------------------
11.BK OLYMPIC	16
12.Nike		13

Manager's thoughts

It's looking grim at the moment. Forget top half, even avoiding the relegation playoff is looking out of reach.

Everything has gone to ****. We're now tied with Nike for the worst attack in the division (26 goals in 19 games), we have the third worst defence (46 goals conceded), and we have by far the worst goal difference (-20; the next worst is Karlskrona at -12)

The remaining run-in looks like:

IFK Hassleholm	FK Karlskrona	BK Olympic	Nike
v Haga		@ Hollviken	v Ljungby	@ Torns IF
@ Hogaborg	@ Torns IF	v Haga		v Eskilsminne
@ Nike		v Halmia	@ Klagshamn	v IFK Hassleholm

Two home matches for us, but arguably the toughest run-in. We have 5th, 8th, and 1st remaining on the fixture list.

3 Sept. 2015

Hogaborg poach my assistant manager.

10 Sept. 2015

BK Olympic 0-2 Ljungby (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

Held onto 0-0 until a 72nd minute corner. Ljungby put the match away 8 minutes later when a punt by my goalkeeper was headed forward by a Ljungby midfielder to a forward streaking between 2 of my 3 centerbacks. Our winless run is now at 10 games, and we've taken only 1 point from the last 18. I'm just flat out of ideas on how to stop this.

The relegation fight (Matchday 20)
IFK Hassleholm 5-2 Haga
Hollviken 2-0 FK Karlskrona
BK Olympic 0-2 Ljungby
Torns IF 2-1 Nike

IFK Hassleholm	23 (-7)
Haga		23 (-9)
------------------
FK Karlskrona	18
------------------
PL BK Olympic	16
PL Nike		13

17 Sept, 2015

BK Olympic - Haga (Swedish Second Division 1-3 South Gotaland)

The last home match of the season, but there isn't much for the supporters to cheer about. We took the lead in the 7th minute off a corner. And then proceeded to ship 3 first half goals.

The relegation fight (Matchday 21)

BK Olympic 1-3 Haga
Hogaborg 1-4 IFK Hassleholm
Nike 0-0 Eskilsminne
Torns IF 3-2 FK Karlskrona

IFK Hassleholm	26
Haga		26
------------------
PL FK Karlskro.	18
------------------
PL BK Olympic	16
R  Nike		14

And we have to get a win away at Klagshamn to avoid (immediate) relegation. We're toast.

24 Sept. 2015

Klagshamn 1-3 BK Olympic (Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland)

I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I'VE JUST SEEN. With our backs to the wall, I instructed the team to pretty much play desperately: Get stuck in, play at a higher tempo, play more disciplined. And we played the game of our life. We were up 3-0 after 34 minutes to rock Klagshamn, and had two goals waved off for offside. They managed to pull one back in the 43rd minute, but our desperation was rewarded as the scoreline was unchanged after that. Meanwhile, Karlskrona lost a back-and-forth encounter against Halmia! WE'RE NOT DOWN YET!

Oh, um. And I also figured out some of the individual instructions on the tactics screen so, uh, I've told my 3-man backline all to mark tighter. So embarrassed that I've only now discovered this. I'm so crap at this game. :D

[b]Swedish Second Division - South Gotaland FINAL[/b]
1. Torns IF	41
------------------
2. Eskilsminne	39 (+23)
3. Klagshamn	39 (+2)
4. Ljungby	38
5. Halmia	37
6. Hogaborg	36
7. Hollviken	31
8. IFK Hassleh.	26 (-6)
9. Haga		26 (-9)
------------------
10.BK OLYMPIC	19
------------------
11.FK Karlskro.	18
12.Nike		17

11 Oct. 2015

Holmalunds IF 2-3 BK Olympic (Relegation Playoff Final, first leg)

Two matches against a lower-league opponent to decide if we stay up. We were coming off a 17-day layoff whilst Holmalunds were battling through playoffs to reach this stage. I focus on trying to control the game and holding onto the ball. There was no scoring until the 67th minute though, when we were awarded a penalty. Patrik Burda converted, then stole a bad backpass off the restart to extend our lead. He then set up another goal 3 minutes later. So we're up 3-0 and appear to be cruising to the home leg, when Holmalunds strike in the 77th and 90th minutes. So I'm a bit irritated, but we are taking a 1-goal advantage into the home leg and have 3 away goals to the good.

15 Oct. 2015

BK Olympic 3-1 Holmalunds IF (Relegation Playoff Final, second leg)

BK Olympic win 6-3 on aggregate

Patrik Burda put the team on his shoulders to retain our Second Division status. He appeared to have put us in front after 2 minutes when he pounced on a ball the Holmalunds goalkeeper spilled, but he was flagged for offside. No matter, he scored in almost the same manner on 5 minutes, and that one held up. Then he scored on 22 minutes after jinking through the Holmalunds defence to set up a one-on-one. Holmalunds pulled one back on 30 minutes though to make things interesting again. But Bjorn Carlsson sealed the deal off the subs bench, when he blasted a free kick from the top of the penalty arc for the third goal.

The board demanded a meeting to discuss my future and it didn't go well. First it was "OK, we'll give you more time." Then it was "We want to see 11 points in the next 5 games." When I asked for that to be lowered, they decided my services were no longer required.

[b]League competition[/b]
Season	Club		Nation	League		W	D	L	PTS	FINISH
2013-14	Red Star	FRA	National	9	15	10	42	14th
2015	BK Olympic	SWE	2nd Division-SG	5	4	13	19	10th (Won playoff)

1- Sacked by Red Star 23 May, 2014, upon completion of the season.
2- Sacked by BK Olympic 16 Oct. 2015, upon completion of the season.

[b]Cup competitions[/b]
Season	Club		Nation	Cup		Result
2013-14	Red Star	FRA	French Cup	9th Round (0-4 loss to Ligue 2 side Lens)

Former Club Watch

Red Star FC
2014-15	5th, Championnat National

Okay, so maybe it was me.

So who's the lucky club to take a chance a Yankee Sunday Leaguer who barely avoided relegation with not one, but TWO clubs? Step forward....

FC_Linköping_City_logo.jpg

FC Linkoping City

Freshly promoted to Division 2 North Gotaland, the club is a blank slate (aside from just enough players to field a starting XI).

The club was founded around the new year of 2013 as a merge between FK Linköping and FC Syrianska with the goal to get football in Linköping to a higher level.[2] When FC Linköping City was created it took the place of FK Linköping in the Swedish football league system. The club is currently playing in Division 3 Nordöstra Götaland, which is the fifth tier of Swedish football.[3] They currently play their home matches at the Folkungavallen in Linköping, and they are planning to move to the new Linköping Arena at the autumn of 2013.[4] FC Linköping City are affiliated to the Östergötlands Fotbollförbund.[5]

-Wikipedia

It's a 1-year deal for $325/week. All they want is to avoid relegation. Well I've shown I can at least do that.

I tried signing some of my former BK Olympic players who left after their contracts expired, but none of them were interested.

You've totally got this Jason. I've never been more confident that you'll succeed...

The only way I could do worse is if I got relegated. :D

Red Star have improved a lot since you left! :p

Yes. Yes they have. :(

BTW, I said I'm going to hold off until the next patch (hopefully!) fixes the defending. But I'll leave you with this teaser: We've got Ariel Ortega as our assistant manager now. :thup:

(his ratings are terrible though, and my board don't think he's interested in going on a coaching course. But it does mean I now have Argies applying to job openings at my club :D)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived