4321 Tactic Oxford to Prem Title in 6 Seasons

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I would give my input to an interesting, rollar coaster ride that this tactic has given me.

I have used the 106 tactic with Weymouth after starting a new game. Capacity 6600, little money.

I got promoted to League 2 after two seasons in the BSP Prem. Got promoted straight to League 1 the next year, and the Championship the year after.

My problems started when my excellent youngsters (with the help of Genie) wanted to move to bigger clubs, and after rubbish bids by bigger clubs, the Weymouth board accepting and them going.

These players cannot be replaced - no player with anything like a decent CA is interested in joining, so I have to sign prospects who are not ready for the Championship. I can't even get decent loanees from my parent club, Everton.

I lost 10 out of the last 12 games of last season, and I am a lowly 19th this season. Morale is very poor with most players, and I conceding 2-3 goals a game. Before my crash in form last season, I was upto 2nd place.

I really wanted to take them to the Prem and Europe, but with the council blocking stadium expansion EVERY SEASON, I have taken them as far as I can (I think).

I am gutted it's gone sour! Sendings off, injuries, players wanting to leave, disallowed goals, dominating possession and attempts at goal (although my attempts:goal ratio is shocking), opposition 'keepers getting 8s and 9s, last minute goals etc etc!

Thoughts please. It's all gone wrong at Weymouth after loving the challenge and the tactic (I imagine it is quals with a good team!!)

Thanks for your time.

Andy

Hi Andy, seems like you have done a great job - dont give up now, these things happen in real life football too!!

I am Eastleigh and started in the lower blue sqaure league also. I climed up to the championship with good buys and a 3-4-1-2 tactic (no genie) and spent 4 seasons in the championship.

Its a very tough league to get out of. I never asked for any stadium expansions so 8 seasons in and I still had a capacity of 3300! - had to sell my best players every season to keep afloat.

I the changed to Knaps tactics and used Wolfsburgs team talks and managed to win the championship on goal diff.

I am now 7 th in the prem in the first season, in the final of the league cup and looks like I may qaulify for europe.

Keep the faith dude, you may have to consilidate for 3-4 seasons in the championship, but you will get to the prem mate.

Hope this helps,

PJ

Wijnand,

I've opend a thread for FM09 as it was probably confusing enough with all the FM08 tactics in post 1. Many thanks for taking time to provide link and test.

Knap & PJ & and anyone who is interested,

I decided to go back to my Weymouth game (before the PJ post). I am too competitive! LOL.

Anyway, I put a little run together, then back to inconsistency, losses etc. DAMN! I was using 106 (from BSP to Championship), then had some success with 107 this season.

To add insult to my (literally) injuries, I have beaten Prem opposition 3 times this year - Bolton (League Cup), Newcastle and Everton (FA Cup), drew with Man Utd (FA Cup) before losing at Old Trafford to a 90 + 4 min goal!

Then I go and draw against 22nd placed Plymouth 5 days later???!!? My hair is turning grey....lol

My best players are kicking off again. I will lose them (my best Striker isn't signing a contract and will leave on a Bosman at end of year)

The board are only satisfied with me.. I have 12 million in the bank, upgraded to Top training facilities now, good Youth set up, and nearly completed a 3300 expansion (taking us to about 10000 capacity).

I am 12th.

P37 W14 D9 L14 F72 A60 +12 Pts51

Thoughts/ideas/words of comfort please - LOL

The paceof 107 may help but it is aggressive attacking, so perhaps 102 but untick counter attack. However, its really about searching to get the best players you can on the Budget.

After PJs post looks like it could be worth the effort and you will be well chuffed if you can eventually win EPL.

The 107 tries to dominate and goes for the win but tends to lose rather than draw especially without the players to dominate but with same Nike back 4.

If you wish to close out game trying pushing DL right up.

Andy,

In theory NO. My method of testing is on a step change basis on a holiday season and this is the ideal set up to maximise points over a season.

However no squad is exactly the same and injuries/rotation play a part as well as AI formations etc etc.

My advice is to use base tactics in most circumstances and tweak for specific situations such as long farrows against 352.

Good luck with the new season.

Andy

I should also add that I have tested with many Clubs on a non holiday basis without any tweaks with both 106 and 107. With a Club like Oxford/Woking I found the 106 worked better. Clubs like MU I've used 107 and won Prem with 102pts and this is with Rooney as lone striker and also won Prem with Chelsea using Drogba, and just using the standard, although rather good, squads.

With the Oxford game, as a test I did not tweak for the 6 seasons to see if the AI did really learn how to defeat your tactics, if you just used the same tactic season in season out.

Andy

I should also add that I have tested with many Clubs on a non holiday basis without any tweaks with both 106 and 107. With a Club like Oxford/Woking I found the 106 worked better. Clubs like MU I've used 107 and won Prem with 102pts and this is with Rooney as lone striker and also won Prem with Chelsea using Drogba, and just using the standard, although rather good, squads.

With the Oxford game, as a test I did not tweak for the 6 seasons to see if the AI did really learn how to defeat your tactics, if you just used the same tactic season in season out.

Andy/Knap,

also just to make clear... I have used the 106 for my success with Eastliegh, and tweaked winger/fullback arrows, and tempo/d line/mentality for various games accordingly.

Oh and BTW I won the league cup against Chelski.

PJ

Andy

I very seldom tweak the set up, but find with the 107 tactic that if you push right up you squeeze the life out of a game. The 102 man mark tactic is probably the most defensive and pushes up and takes fwd runs off full backs.

What, what's the relationship between defensive line and opposition? Better the opposition, deeper the dl? When trying to close a game out?

Two of my best players have just left.. :( Lol

Andy

Depends on how the other team play.

I am not saying change the whole tactic for every game - just tweak it.

I always have my scout set up to give me a scouting report of the opposition team pre game so they can tell me if they play a deep defensive line.

Make sure you scout has a high judging player ability and tactical knowledge.

This wont guarantee a win, but I think all these little things contribute to more chance of success - as rafa, and mouriniho said - ' its the small details' !!!

PJ

You are probably right and small details may matter. However, I do not read scout reports or set OIs for those dangerous players, always use Ass Man for team talks and this has always worked in FM08 with the right tactic and players.

FM09 may be different, however I doubt you would believe the settings I used for this Chelsea away game

olympiakosvchelseadt8.png

w1436.png

Hi Knap,

each to our own I guess.

Your tactic rocks, and without it I would not of achieved what I have with Eastliegh.

But I have a better example than yours!!!

I beat Chelski, 1-0 with EASTLIEGH!!!! in the league cup final!!

A recap on numbers used in the tactic title.

The numbers represent the pts obtained on a holiday season and is therefore a performance indicator.

I test maNy variables on this season by either step changes or new ideas. For example, I can add long farrows to wingers and test tactic and then compare results and this gives an indication whether a tweak is suitable for long term performance compared to a just a short term gain and should be added in match in certain circumstances.

Most of the tactics are based on No Creative Freedom. I have a few with limited creative feedom or a tactic with high team creative freedom, again ideas that can be added to mix withourt hurting the long term performance of tactic.

I have downloaded most tactics available and tested these and very few make it to 95pts.

You will have to make your own mind up about the value of holiday season testing, and using the tactic is one way to draw a conclusion.

A few non holiday results - The Main 106 tactic took Oxford from BSP to EPL title in 6 seasons an Leeds promotion. The 107 Tactic won EPL with MU with 102pts.

cocacolaleague1leaguetamz7.png

w1024.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't have FM08 set up, just keep tactics.

The team set up is per screenshot with farrows and barrows. Passing and tempo and slow and short about 5 from left. DL middle. Try mentality on 1st notch attacking. The key is No creative freedom as adds about 3 pts a season. Corners challenge GK.

tottenhamhotspurtottenhxb7.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This tactic completely ruined the progress i was making - the team's performance is just TERRIBLE! no CCCs, no shots and the list goes on and on. I wish I had sticked to my old tactic. No disrespect but your tactics never worked for me

If you were making progress then I would not change tactic. I am happy if the tactic just works for one other player as you can't win them all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived