Football Manager Handheld 2013... it's here!

• SI Staff

Would-be football managers, the whole world is once again your dugout as Sports Interactive and SEGA are delighted to announce the launch of Football Manager Handheld 2013 for iOS and Android devices.

This season’s release not only includes up-to-date player and competition data, it also includes a number of gameplay enhancements, many of which have been implemented as a direct result of user feedback. These include:

• An all-new player comparison module (allowing managers to compare potential recruits against existing squad members or existing squad members against one another).
  • Player photos (in licensed leagues)
  • An increase in the number of playable leagues (from 12 to 14)
  • A player form ‘hot list’
  • The facility to promote reserve team players to the first-team squad
  • Club captain selection
  • Improvements to the in-game news, media interaction and match engine
  • Twitter support for all devices – allowing managers to share their exploits with friends
  • A host of in-game achievements for manager to strive towards

In addition to these gameplay enhancements, there have also been a number of improvements to the user interface; in particular, specific ‘skins’ have been developed for the most popular tablet devices and retina support has been added for high-end iOS devices.

For managers who like to accelerate their progress through the game, Football Manager Handheld 2013 allows, for the first time, the purchase of a number of ‘unlockable’ features, including the introduction to the club of a ‘sugar daddy’, the option to expand the club’s stadium, the ability to manage national teams from the beginning of the game and even taking a place on the board (giving the manager immunity from the dreaded sack). While all of these unlockables are available through the in-game store, many can also be ‘earned’ through in-game achievements as with previous iterations of the game.

Football Manager Handheld 2013 also sees the reappearance of the popular challenges (which first appeared in Football Manager Handheld 2012) and the introduction of a whole new challenge, ‘The Dangers of Capitalism’.

Football Manager Handheld 2013 is available at midnight tonight (local time) through iTunes, Google Play and the Amazon App Store

App Store link (when available in your country): http://itunes.apple.com/app/football-manager-handheld/id580830559?mt=8

Google Play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sigames.fmh2013

Amazon Store link: http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-America-Football-Handheld/dp/B00AHDHR8I/

Screenshots are available here: http://www.facebook.com/officialfootballmanager

If you have any issues or questions regarding the game, please take the time to read our FAQ: http://www.sigames.com/faq/fmh2013.php

We hope you enjoy playing the game as much as we've enjoyed making it - please feel free to leave any feedback in this thread!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to finally have an official announcement. I'm sure I'll be buying it shortly :D

Has there been any work done on dynamic league reputuation, i.e. improving the standing of a low rep league (e.g. Wales) by achieving European domination with a club from that league?

Also, is the tactical side of things unchanged, or have there been some tweaks?

• SI Staff
Do you have to buy the unlockables for each new career you start? Or do you just buy them once?

With the exception of 'Expand Stadium' and 'Build Youth Academy' the purchasable unlockables can be used across multiple careers.

With the exception of 'Expand Stadium' and 'Build Youth Academy' the purchasable unlockables can be used across multiple careers.

So can 'Expand Stadium' and 'Build Youth Academy' be unlocked ?

and if so once unlocked they can be assigned to any new games ?

I assume it's just the same as in FMH12. You can request stadium and training facility upgrades via the board as per usual, but they'll only apply to the current career. The purchase option just lets you expand even if the board doesn't want to.

Will the stadium expansion rate be the same as 2012 or will it take longer to build a big stadium now the we have to pay for a fast track.

In 2012 it was every other season that I was allowed to expand.

• SI Staff
So can 'Expand Stadium' and 'Build Youth Academy' be unlocked ?

and if so once unlocked they can be assigned to any new games ?

These can't be specifically unlocked naturally, but of course it is sometimes possible to persuade the board to improve these facilities during the course of a normal career.

These can't be specifically unlocked naturally, but of course it is sometimes possible to persuade the board to improve these facilities during the course of a normal career.

thanks Alari

so I think what I should have asked was is it possible to achieve the same results (eventually) without buying these in-game unlocklables

• SI Staff
thanks Alari

so I think what I should have asked was is it possible to achieve the same results (eventually) without buying these in-game unlocklables

Other than the challenges of course, yes this is the case.

• SI Staff
Do you have a full change list?

We don't have a full change list available as the number of changes made has been rather too large to keep track of in such a way. There's a limited change list available linked from the credits page of the app but it's by no means a reflection of everything that's been tweaked.

• SI Staff
How big is the database for the handheld version? Small, Medium or Huge?

Would love loads of players to scout and choose the best ones.

Due to memory constraints on handheld devices the DB is of course smaller than on PC.

What's been improved to the match engine, as with FMH2012 the highlight clips were frustratingly short and there was no way round it, I recognise that its obviously much watered down from the full pc version and being a handheld game, most people will not have the time to watch full matches but it would still be nice to have longer clips, have replays and be able to watch highlights again if possible.

• SI Staff
Do you have to buy the unlockables for each new career you start? Or do you just buy them once?

Unlockables 'unlock once' - either through gameplay (ie. you don't have to purchase them you can unlock them as in prior versions) or purchase.

PS - If you play on multiple devices so long as they're all from the same 'OS family' (ie. android or iOS) then purchases will replicate across devices, ie. if you buy something on your iPhone it'll automatically exist on your iPad etc.

• SI Staff
What's been improved to the match engine, as with FMH2012 the highlight clips were frustratingly short and there was no way round it, I recognise that its obviously much watered down from the full pc version and being a handheld game, most people will not have the time to watch full matches but it would still be nice to have longer clips, have replays and be able to watch highlights again if possible.

I've tweaked the match quite a lot and the 2d quality is improved - however they're still not 'long' clips at present ... apart from anything else I think its important to keep the match flow 'fast'.

Unlockables 'unlock once' - either through gameplay (ie. you don't have to purchase them you can unlock them as in prior versions) or purchase.

PS - If you play on multiple devices so long as they're all from the same 'OS family' (ie. android or iOS) then purchases will replicate across devices, ie. if you buy something on your iPhone it'll automatically exist on your iPad etc.

Marc, are all the purchasable unlockables the same price ? - if so .. how much ?

• SI Staff
How big is the database for the handheld version? Small, Medium or Huge?

Would love loads of players to scout and choose the best ones.

As with all prior versions we've tried to make the database as large as we can and keep things stable - thanks to various optimisations the database is now 10% larger in FMH2013 than it was in 2012.

• SI Staff

Will the stadium expansion rate be the same as 2012 or will it take longer to build a big stadium now the we have to pay for a fast track.

In 2012 it was every other season that I was allowed to expand.

One thing its important to note is that the gameplay wasn't changed at all for purchase reasons - its vital imho not to adversely affect the game itself simply for a fast buck, as such the purchasables simply allow people who are 'cash rich/time short' to use the unlockables without investing the time to achieve them in game.

(it might surprise you to know that Stadium expansions 'in game' are actually slightly easier to achieve and generally larger in size this year outside of the purchasable item as I'd found the situation in game 'lagged' a little behind what I thought would happen irl at times)

I've tweaked the match quite a lot and the 2d quality is improved - however they're still not 'long' clips at present ... apart from anything else I think its important to keep the match flow 'fast'.

Was that a purposeful use of the term "at present" meaning that there is a chance this might change in an update? Or should we read the sentence leaving out the "at present"?

Archived