FM13: Celtic - 125 Years Of Unbroken History

McGeady10

I'm now 3 quaters of the way through my second season with the hoops and having not been on the forums for a long time I appear to have missed out on some of the cheaper gems within the game.

Won the treble in season 1 and made the last 16 of the CL before being beaten by Valencia. Second season I've made the league cup final and am cruising in the league. I only managed 3rd with 9 points in my CL group which contained Real, PSG and Genoa. Now in the UEFA cup and have a decent draw against Anderlecht.

Generally I go between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 with a emphasis on the wide players and full backs getting forward in both systems. I've occasionally went 3-5-2 in the first season with Izzy and Matthews bombing forward in a counter attacking system away from home.

Players I've brought in:

Craig Gordon: Great goalie to compete with Forster and he's classed as HG so that helps when picking CL squads.

Barry Bannan - Signed from Villa for 1.8mil at the end of the first season. Another very useful player who rotates with Ledley and Brown in my midfield.

Jamie Mackie - First season on loan and then signed for 1.5mil. He's very useful as he can play in 3 roles AMR, AML and ST. He tends to get goals in the big games for me.

Artem Milevskiy - Signed for free at the end of the first season. Can't say he's been all that great so far and will prob be punted at the end of this season.

Rainford Kalaba - A very good goal scoring attacking midfielder. Occasionally play 4-2-3-1 and put him as the AMC and he seems good at getting beyond the striker.

Sébastien Pocognoli - Great cover for Izzy as I don't like pushing Mulgrew out to the left.

Scott Wootton - Man Utd youngster who was free at the end of the season and who has been superb playing on the right of the two central defenders

Scott Allan - Had him on loan in the firs season from West Brom to provide cover for Brown, Ledley and Kayal.

Andy Carroll - loan in the second season. He's done ok thus far but he's not got as many goals as I'd hoped for but he is good to bring on when you want to play a more physical game.

Sold:

Wanyama - went at the end of the first season for 15mil to Benfica. I'd had to offer him a new deal and the agent wouldn't accept anything without the release claus so I got it upto 15mil and Benfica snapped him up.

Kelvin Wilson - 1mil. I've found Rogne to be very good and Ambrose and Wootton to be very good so he wasn't needed especially when he was prone to the odd howler.

Lassad Nouioui - 1mil as he never really featured

Miku - let his loan expire after season 1 but he did prove useful as a second striker and AMC at times.

Samaras is great in the AML slot of you are putting a lot of crosses in from the right as he gets in on the back post for a lot of tap in's.

I totally revamped the coaching team..... I added Pat Bonner to the goalkeeping coaching staff :)

Dario Gradi now looks after my reserves.

Joe Jordan is one of my main coaches along with Roy Aitken and Danny McGrain and Alexander Zickler.

I also set up a new scouting team with John Park still at the head of it.

Team Lines up like this just now:

Gordon

Lustig Wootton Mulgrew Izzy

Ledley Brown

Forrest Kalaba Samaras

Hooper

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else signed Shane Long? I signed him for £6M in the 2nd season, has been awesome up-front for me, currently have a front 4 of Long, Hooper, Watt and Robbie Keane who score a nice amount of goals between them.

I had Long. Was brilliant upfront on his own rotating with Hooper for me but I sold him to give Denny Johnstone games

2nd season brought me the World cup championship (lost the Euro one against Newcastle 0-2) and the league

the reserves lost the final of the league cup against the Arabs and the semi finals of the cup against Ross County

went out against Man U in the first knock out stage after xmas

---

3rd season

won

the league cup

the cup

the league

and Champions League (again) 2-1 against Real Madrid - my 18 year old Scottish newgen (through the academy) AMC came on and got me the winner (from an assist from another 18 year old Scottish newgen) - Fletcher got the assist for the first goal (that Hughes scored)

Would wish the game made a few good Scottish newgens that could defend

cl15r.jpg

Team that won the Champions League 2015

GK) Forrest

DR) Matthews

DL) Taylor (Swansea)

DC) Belluschi (Catania)

DC) Wanyama

MC) Fletcher (Man Utd) Sub with Halliday (18 year old newgen) - Hughes moved to central midfield and Halliday to AMC

MC) Cirigliano (River Plate)

RW) Forrest

AM) Hughes (Derby)

LW) Russell (Dun Utd) Sub with Chalmers (18 year old newgen)

SC) Rhodes (Blackburn)

Pretty decent with 6 Scots playing in the CL winning side, and Watt could have been on (but stayed on the bench)

My star striker Javier Hernandez were away with Mexico preparing to the Gold Cup

I've a great Scottish prospect (SC) that will get more playing time next season

After winning 1-0 away from home in my CL last 16 first leg match I was expecting my opponents to come to our place and tear us to shreds as that's been the usual outcome for me in two leg European ties all through this save but I guess my hotshot regen striker Romario had other ideas.:D

CelticvRMadrid_StatsPlayerRatings.png

After winning 1-0 away from home in my CL last 16 first leg match I was expecting my opponents to come to our place and tear us to shreds as that's been the usual outcome for me in two leg European ties all through this save but I guess my hotshot regen striker Romario had other ideas.:D

CelticvRMadrid_StatsPlayerRatings.png

nice :-)

I was always intending to move Forster on as although he's more than capable in the SPL I felt he couldn't be relied upon against the quality of strikers we're facing in Europe.

I've to say that I find Forster very capable of playing at CL level - great keeper in the game

I've to say that I find Forster very capable of playing at CL level - great keeper in the game

Considering I signed Smithies on a free, sold him 2 seasons later for £4 million, signed a replacement regen keeper for smithies on a free and sold him to Barca for £20 million then replaced him with Marc Andre Ter Stegen for 17 million and got to the CL semi final this season with him in goals I'm pretty happy with the decision to sell him tbh. Also I just scouted him in my game playing for West Brom in 2021 and my scouts rate him at half a star ca.

Considering I signed Smithies on a free, sold him 2 seasons later for £4 million, signed a replacement regen keeper for smithies on a free and sold him to Barca for £20 million then replaced him with Marc Andre Ter Stegen for 17 million and got to the CL semi final this season with him in goals I'm pretty happy with the decision to sell him tbh. Also I just scouted him in my game playing for West Brom in 2021 and my scouts rate him at half a star ca.

I've Smithies as backup (also on a free) - ter Stegen is leaving BMG on a bosman in the summer - don't know if I should try and sign him in January (there is most likely going to be a real fight for his signature) or if I'm sticking with Forster. Even though Smithies have more star rating than Forster, I can't replace him since he has been in 2 CL winning sides for me so far

I've Smithies as backup (also on a free) - ter Stegen is leaving BMG on a bosman in the summer - don't know if I should try and sign him in January (there is most likely going to be a real fight for his signature) or if I'm sticking with Forster. Even though Smithies have more star rating than Forster, I can't replace him since he has been in 2 CL winning sides for me so far

If you can get Stegen and are only 3-4 seasons in I would highly recommend him, he's developed brilliantly for me since I've had him and has been integral to my success in the league which I've won by 30+ points the last two seasons, largely due to him keeping a very healthy number of clean sheets.

If you can get Stegen and are only 3-4 seasons in I would highly recommend him, he's developed brilliantly for me since I've had him and has been integral to my success in the league which I've won by 30+ points the last two seasons, largely due to him keeping a very healthy number of clean sheets.

I'm in 2015, he would be available on a free in 2016

he has 4½ stars and 4½ potential, so there is not so much room for improvement, and he has only 12 in handling, that is my main worry, even though the other stats are brilliant

having said that Forster are keeping a clean sheet in every other game

I'm in 2015, he would be available on a free in 2016

he has 4½ stars and 4½ potential, so there is not so much room for improvement, and he has only 12 in handling, that is my main worry, even though the other stats are brilliant

having said that Forster are keeping a clean sheet in every other game

I'd take that advice with a large pinch of salt if I were you, I've managed to get his handling to go up by 2 full points in 2 seasons between the ages of 27-29 just by intensive training of that attribute.

Here's how he looks having played for me for 3 years in 2021 aged 29.

Marc-AndrterStegen_OverviewAttributes-1.png

I'd take that advice with a large pinch of salt if I were you, I've managed to get his handling to go up by 2 full points in 2 seasons between the ages of 27-29 just by intensive training of that attribute.

Here's how he looks having played for me for 3 years in 2021 aged 29.

Marc-AndrterStegen_OverviewAttributes-1.png

I love ter Stegens' rushing out, Forster have terrible stats in that *lol*

How much did your balance go in red, when you were taken over?

Last season I managed to finish the season just in black with the help of wining the CL, so there were some money there

This season it looks like I'll be going in red when January starts - there will (hopefully) be some CL money to ease the pain, and I'll be selling some players in the January window to see if I can manage to come through the season in one piece

I love ter Stegens' rushing out, Forster have terrible stats in that *lol*

How much did your balance go in red, when you were taken over?

Last season I managed to finish the season just in black with the help of wining the CL, so there were some money there

This season it looks like I'll be going in red when January starts - there will (hopefully) be some CL money to ease the pain, and I'll be selling some players in the January window to see if I can manage to come through the season in one piece

Sorry but I've no idea, it was just before the start of my second season and a season takes me 2 days irl to get through.

The attributes in Ter Stegen that I'm finding most useful are is influence and determination, I find in the very rare instances of him conceding a goal we usually outscore our opponent anyway, which is no doubt a lot to do with Romario, my poacher regen with 19 acceleration and pace but I think Ter Stegen being so determined and influential helps a lot as well.

Have finally got round to starting my Celtic save. Is anyone else finding it impossible to keep players happy with regards to teamtalks? I didnt have this problem with my previous save (Queen of the South), but the Bhoys are enver pleased. I told them they were unlucky after what I thought was a fairly gutsy performance away to man city - we lost 5-2 but matched them for possession and genuinely the game was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests - hallf my team were furious with my team talk. Ive had similar issues throughout the start of the season, especially with Wanyama, Izzy, Hooper and Mulgrew.

Have finally got round to starting my Celtic save. Is anyone else finding it impossible to keep players happy with regards to teamtalks? I didnt have this problem with my previous save (Queen of the South), but the Bhoys are enver pleased. I told them they were unlucky after what I thought was a fairly gutsy performance away to man city - we lost 5-2 but matched them for possession and genuinely the game was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests - hallf my team were furious with my team talk. Ive had similar issues throughout the start of the season, especially with Wanyama, Izzy, Hooper and Mulgrew.

I did in my first season. I found a decent workaround for it was to get Mjallby to take them until we won a trophy and my rep increased enough for the players to start paying more attantion to me.

Just completed my first season on this and ended up somehow winning the Quadruple! That was quite incredible and I still can't work it out as my team have played awfully in my opinion at least in terms of how I would look for them to perform with terrible form in the league yet doing okay in the Group Stages of the Champions League finishing 3rd in a group of Chelsea, Schalke and Juventus seeing me drop into the Europa Cup which I ended up winning in penalties.

I will do a more detailed season review at some point.

Sorry but I've no idea, it was just before the start of my second season and a season takes me 2 days irl to get through.

The attributes in Ter Stegen that I'm finding most useful are is influence and determination, I find in the very rare instances of him conceding a goal we usually outscore our opponent anyway, which is no doubt a lot to do with Romario, my poacher regen with 19 acceleration and pace but I think Ter Stegen being so determined and influential helps a lot as well.

ter Stegen and an German 4½ star newgen keeper in on bosmans, and Forster away to West Ham for £9,75m - guess it is a pretty good deal

SSW Season 2012/13 - Quadruple Winners!

Apologies to McGeady10 as I have ripped off his season review post setup. ;)

Started off my pre-season by offloading Stokes(Huddersfield £2.7m) and Samaras(Monaco £3.2m) whilst also sending Miku back to Getafe to free up some wages, so looking pretty light up front to start the season so in came Libor Kozak from Lazio for £1.9m to adda different dimension to my attacks if necessary when Hooper is out. I only play with one striker and advanced wingers so no need to carry more than a few who play that role. Lukasz Zaluska and Paddy McCourt also found themselves surplus to requirements with the former loaned back to Poland and McCourt allowed a free transfer to Middlesbrough. Completing the incoming first season transfers were Borek Dockal, Jonas Svensson, Gary Mackay-Steven and Martin Lejsal to cover Forster.

NB. Necid has just been signed at end of first season to facilitate a possible change of tactics.

Transfers

celtictransfershistorym.png

League Table

Despite winning the league by 20 points I was really frustrated with it through the season where it seemed to be like real life Celtic, I would struggle badly with any sort of domination of teams few and far between. The standards of my teams performances and displays alsmost caused me to chuck it, ala Lennon last week. Looking at the results it shows 3 of my losses came in the last 4-5 games where I had bigger fish to fry, still the overall performance throughout he league was unacceptable.

clydesdalebankpremierlej.png

Continental Adventures

Reached the Champions League Group stage with a little scare by Maribor only a few weeks into the season. I was drawn a pretty difficult group that I managed to sneak out of and drop into the Europa League. My incredible first group match day in the Champions League ultimately was the only win and more importantly was the result that saw me stay in Europe after Christmas. The Champions League Final was contested by the two Manchester clubs of which Manchester Blue came out on top making up for losing the English Premier League to Manchester Red.

Champions League Results

celtic201213championsle.png

Group E Table

europeanchampionscupovey.png

European Success!

Dropping into the Europa League gave me a shot in the arm and allowed me to take my mind off the troubling domestic performances. I just had that feeling you sometimes get when playing and performing above our level, the same feeling most SPL clubs felt against me almost like feeling no pressure of expectations not just from the game but myself seeing each game as a bonus to develop my team and players and boy did it work out! I use the same tactic for all games occasionally tweak a few little things now and again for each game but always revert to the one tactic and philosophy that has served me well for years. There were a few scares but we never felt out of it and indeed seemed to perform brilliantly when the pressure was on beating some excellent teams on the way to a dramatic penalty shoot-out win against a very good Borussia Monchengladbach side. I now have my tactic for Europe next year!

Europa League

celtic201213europaleagu.png

Domestic Cups

The domestic cups were nothing but formalities but we made it hard for ourselves with some woeful performances again. The highlight being a very boring tussle with Rangers in the Scottish Cup final with both teams amassing a total of 6 shots between us with only the one on target from ourselves, seeing off Third Division minnows 'The Rangers'.

Scottish Cup

celtic201213scottishcup.png

League Cup

celtic201213leaguecupre.png

Team Stats

If it weren't for some excellent individual displays and input then this season would have been nowhere near as successful, indeed without James Forrest and Borek Dockal we would have struggled to any competition win including the league, not forgetting a very good second half of the season from Gary Mackay-Steven just as young Forrest was struggling for form and fitness. Other honourable mentions to Gary Hooper, Efe Ambrose, Joe Ledley, Thomas Rogne and Adam Matthews who were consistently reliable wherever ther they played.

celtic201213leaguecupre.png

Player Of The Season

jamesforrestprofile2012.png

The Future

With the new season still a few months away we go back to the drawing board adding to the back room staff and playing squad. I will be looking to implement a new tactic for the league to help us in that regard whilst maintaining my tried and tested for tougher games and hopefully another lengthy European adventure. Tomas Necid has been added with the aforementioned tactical alterations in mind.

Incoming transfers

Gaetan Bong(DL,WBL) Freedom of contract (Valenciennes) - Will give competition to the left back spot which saw Mulgrew cement his place in the second half of the season as the main man here. May allow for potential movement out.

Federico Casarini(MC) Freedom of contract (Bologna) - Excellent midfielder who will go on to be one of the higher earners however looks a great buy and will hopefully add a little more class and creativity to the middle of the park.

Simone Colombi(GK) Freedom of contract (Atalanta) - Exciting young prospect who will add depth and competition to the two current keepers, Forster and Lejsal.

Jon Daly(ST) Freedom of contract (Dundee United) - Again with SPL in mind next year the consistent and versatile Daly may come in very handy especially at what could be excellent value at only £5k a week.

Neal Eardley(DR) Freedom of contract (Blackpool) - The experienced and classy Eardley comes in again to add competition to a thin squad, may also see one or two move out.

Jon Egan(DC) Freedom of contract (Sunderland) - Young cheap central defender prospect, one of my very frequent no risk punts on free youngsters. Will see how he goes.

Karl Ratchford(ST) Freedom of contract (Fleetwood Town) - Interesting find by John Park this one, 18 year old striker who looks like he has a good bit of ability any advice on handling him would be appreciated.

Karl Ratchford

karlratchfordoverviewpr.png

Outgoing

With a few guys coming in and a big transfer budget thanks to last seasons performances will probably look to transition the squad to compete at the next level. Guys who I can see possibly leave are Lustig, Wilson, Izzaguire, Lassad and Commons. With my reputation high with the board will hopefully implement the foundations to grow the club down the line.

Manager Record

Manager Stats

stuartwilsonhistoryover.png

Looking forward to the summer transfer madness and the beginning of next season!

Any questions or queries fire away...

Needing a good advanced playmaker guys ? First season, going to try sell Wanyama to fund some signings.

Also, anyone tried hooper as a trequartista ? If he doesnt play well then i will have to move him on.

Retrain Forrest to AMC and use McGeough as his backup

Hooper hasn't got the attributes to play trequartista (haven't tried him as one though)

Retrain Forrest to AMC and use McGeough as his backup

Hooper hasn't got the attributes to play trequartista (haven't tried him as one though)

I need Forrest out wide though, train McGeouch as an AP?

Yeah, didnt look like he did, was just wondering if anyone had any luck with it. Much should I expect to get for him?

I need Forrest out wide though, train McGeouch as an AP?

Yeah, didnt look like he did, was just wondering if anyone had any luck with it. Much should I expect to get for him?

He does decent as backup, not sure that you should put him down as a starting regular from the first season - try to get him a bit faster with heavy quickness training

you might get in trouble if you play a trequartista upfront with a AMC behind him, could take up the same position and get in each others way

He does decent as backup, not sure that you should put him down as a starting regular from the first season - try to get him a bit faster with heavy quickness training

you might get in trouble if you play a trequartista upfront with a AMC behind him, could take up the same position and get in each others way

The advanced playmaker is in the mc position.

Will try train up dylan.

2nd season brought me the World cup championship (lost the Euro one against Newcastle 0-2) and the league

the reserves lost the final of the league cup against the Arabs and the semi finals of the cup against Ross County

went out against Man U in the first knock out stage after xmas

---

3rd season

won

the league cup

the cup

the league

and Champions League (again) 2-1 against Real Madrid - my 18 year old Scottish newgen (through the academy) AMC came on and got me the winner (from an assist from another 18 year old Scottish newgen) - Fletcher got the assist for the first goal (that Hughes scored)

Would wish the game made a few good Scottish newgens that could defend

Team that won the Champions League 2015

GK) Forrest

DR) Matthews

DL) Taylor (Swansea)

DC) Belluschi (Catania)

DC) Wanyama

MC) Fletcher (Man Utd) Sub with Halliday (18 year old newgen) - Hughes moved to central midfield and Halliday to AMC

MC) Cirigliano (River Plate)

RW) Forrest

AM) Hughes (Derby)

LW) Russell (Dun Utd) Sub with Chalmers (18 year old newgen)

SC) Rhodes (Blackburn)

Pretty decent with 6 Scots playing in the CL winning side, and Watt could have been on (but stayed on the bench)

My star striker Javier Hernandez were away with Mexico preparing to the Gold Cup

I've a great Scottish prospect (SC) that will get more playing time next season

2015-2016 Season

Won:

The Euro Super Cup 3-1 against Arsenal

The World Club Championship 3-1 against Sao Paulo

The League Cup 3-1 against Hearts

The League

The reserves lost out to QoS in the cup

Lost to Messi in the semi's of the CL (He got 5 goals for Barca in the two matches)

Players signed:

Dzagoev (PSG) on a free (wasn't interested in joining until PSG transferlisted him on the 2nd of January - thanks PGS)

Aymen Abdennour (Toulouse) on a free

A Croat newgen 4½ star striker

A Brazilian newgen 5 star central defender

A Danish newgen 5 star central midfielder

A Danish newgen 5 star central defender

Marc-Andre ter Stegen :D

A German newgen 4½ star goalkeeper

Out went:

Jonny Evans £7.5m to Arsenal

Alex Smithies £2.5m +50% to Wigan

Javier Hernandez £19.25m to Norwich

Dylan McGeough £9.75m to WBA

Fraser Forster £9.75m to West Ham

Stefan Strandberg £6.75m to Sevilla

and some other players

Had to sell a few to try and keep the financial situation under control (loosing up to £5m a months - the curse of paying over £48 months *lol*) Dzagoev may be sold in January as Halliday (Scottish newgen see below) are about to be ready to take a leading role - and Dazgoev could bring in some much needed money

This is my priceless belongings (My Scottish newgens)

chalmersf.jpg

halliday.jpg

conway.jpg

Season 1 complete and treble success in my first season. Won the league by a comfortable 22 points and had the pleasure of knocking Sevco out of both domestic cups on my path to victory.

League Table

Even with domestic domination, I wasnt completely satisfied with how we played. I played a fairly attack minded 4-4-2 and a more defensive version in Europe. I rotated the squad here and there and seemed to get the best out of Mathews, Mulgrew, Ledley Commons and my star player for the year - Tony Stokes. Hooper suffered from a couple of niggling injuries that meant he didnt get as much game time as id have likedm but young Tony Watt really stepped up to the plate in his place.

Europe was a disadter. Started off with a shock 2-1 win over Bayern Munich, but got embarassed over 2 games with Partizan that left me bottom of the group with 4 points. Man city were the other team involved.

Transfers Season 1

Brought in Royston Drenthe on a free transfer. Initially he looked the part and this led to me selling Sammy for £2.5m. Drenthe's attitude was shocking though and his form quickly dipped. Have just moved him on at the start of season 2 for £1m

Sold Wanyama for £12m in January window with a clause that sees me take 20% of his next transfer fee. This left me short at the back. Kelvin Wilson doesnt cut it for me and neither does Lustig. I brought in Paul Hanlon for a slightly inflated £1.7m from Hibs, but he did a decent job for me. I also signed Bram Nuytinck for £2.7m from Anderlecht. HE was recommended by my scouts and he's been an absolute rock. He definitely filled the hole left by big Vic.

My only other signing in season 1 was a bit of a risk. £3.5m for Bulot from Standard. An attacking midfielder who got off to a shaky start but is starting to come good now. He's only 22 and I reckon this will be a good investment.

Season 2 transfers so far

This season I am looking to repeat my domestic success while making some progression in Europe. Very pleased to have brought in Wilfried Zaha from Palace for £5.5m.

Squad

He sold him to Huddersfield for £2.7m. Says so in the the first image he posted. Second name from the top.

sorry looked at the wrong post

I sold him as well for £2.8m at the start of the game, so it can be done

just transfer listed him, and offered him out for £2.8m

Ok so I have just started my first ever save in the SPL and it was a toss up between Celtic and Hibs but after watching them in this seasons CL I have decided to go with Celtic. I will just post my transfers and my Champions League group as it is easily the group of death.

Transfers 2012/2013

6jGCr.png

I brought in both Flanagan and Robinson as cover but can't use them in the Champions League which kind of sucks. Also I brought in Reo-Coker on a free to have some depth in my midfield and Ross Barkley who I had a great time managing in FM 12 to hopefully be a great AMC. Also I bought Adryan for the future and he has already gotten a goal on his debut so he should easily become a great signing.

Champions League Group Stages 2012/2013

f36gr.png

One word, ouch. Arsenal, Shakhtar and Juventus all in one group. It was never going to be easy seeing as we were seeded 4th but I was hoping for an easier group. Oh well I just hope we can get some points out of it.

Also we have been drawn against Rangers in the Scottish League Cup 3rd Round so an early derby to the season!

Wow, so Tony Watt is now out for 3 months in my save and other than Hooper I really have no other reliable striker. I am coming up in the January transfer window and they gave me 8.75m extra funds but I spent 5m of that on Grant Hanley from Blackburn to shore up my defense. Does anyone know of a great poacher that is cheap?

Archived