The Career Thread - big club edition

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going for more modern teams, since the creation of the Premiership really (unless I've made a mistake with Oldham, fairly sure they were in the Premiership after 1992).

In the end I've gone for Coventry, no money to spend so will have to sell to buy and a few £s in the red, should be good fun trying to get them back to the Premiership:

Leagues Loaded: England (BSP and above), France (Ligue 2 and above) Germany (2.Bundesliga and above), Italy (Serie B and above), Spain (Liga BBVA and above)

28th July reached, made a few signings already:

IN

Matías Almeyda - Free

Quinton Fortune - Free

Steve Marlet - Free

Andrés Fleurquin - Free

Aleksandrs Kolin'ko - Free

Arthur Sorin (Kalmar FF) - £12k

Alejandro Gómez (Arsenal de Sarandi) - £40k

Tómas Pekhart (Spurs) - Loan

Troy Archibald-Henville (Spurs) - Loan

Darren Ambrose (Charlton) - Loan

Total = £52k

OUT

Marcus Hall (Yeovil) - £100k

Jay Tabb (Plymouth) - £300k

Total = £400k

Made a decent profit so far in selling just two players, and I've been able to heavily strengthen the squad with a combination of freebies, loans and young signings. Aim for the season is to reach the top half of the table, hopefully pushing for the play-offs. Won 3, lost 1 so far in pre-season friendlies.

I started unemployed and was offered the Ghana and Czech Rep jobs, decided to go with the Czechs as they were 2nd in the Euro qualifying group behind Germany. I managed to beat the Gerries 3-1 away and then dissapointingly drew 2-2 with rivals Slovakia, but qualified none the less, so I've got Euro 2008 to look forward to. Hope I avoid the group of death!

A couple of jobs came up in the lower leagues of Argentina and Spain but I wanted a 'Championship' size of club and eventually one came calling. Birmingham.

McLeish did what he does best and spent loads of money on average players. With the media predicting them to finish 1st, when they were sitting 18th after 10 games the board decided to bump him. They offered a contract, I negotiated and then the Boca and River jobs came up, so I rejected Birmingham and applied for the big Argie jobs. Not surprisingly I didn't get either and thought I had missed my chance with Birmingham. They came back in with an improved offer on a 'take it or leave it' basis. I took it.

Let the career begin...

I'm going for more modern teams, since the creation of the Premiership really (unless I've made a mistake with Oldham, fairly sure they were in the Premiership after 1992).

In the end I've gone for Coventry, no money to spend so will have to sell to buy and a few £s in the red, should be good fun trying to get them back to the Premiership:

Leagues Loaded: England (BSP and above), France (Ligue 2 and above) Germany (2.Bundesliga and above), Italy (Serie B and above), Spain (Liga BBVA and above)

28th July reached, made a few signings already:

IN

Matías Almeyda - Free

Quinton Fortune - Free

Steve Marlet - Free

Andrés Fleurquin - Free

Aleksandrs Kolin'ko - Free

Arthur Sorin (Kalmar FF) - £12k

Alejandro Gómez (Arsenal de Sarandi) - £40k

Tómas Pekhart (Spurs) - Loan

Troy Archibald-Henville (Spurs) - Loan

Darren Ambrose (Charlton) - Loan

Total = £52k

OUT

Marcus Hall (Yeovil) - £100k

Jay Tabb (Plymouth) - £300k

Total = £400k

Made a decent profit so far in selling just two players, and I've been able to heavily strengthen the squad with a combination of freebies, loans and young signings. Aim for the season is to reach the top half of the table, hopefully pushing for the play-offs. Won 3, lost 1 so far in pre-season friendlies.

Did you start unemployed with pro footballer rep ? i might join you and start like this , and take on the Coventry job

Did you start unemployed with pro footballer rep ? i might join you and start like this , and take on the Coventry job

No, I went straight for Coventry with a professional footballer rep. It's a good job to have, by the end of the window I'd made near to a million from selling reserves and brought in some decent players.

MORE INS

Jorge - Free

Género Zeefuik (PSV) - £160k

Maximiliano Pellegrino (Velez) - £160k

Kirill Pavlyuchek (Dinamo Minsk) - £60k

Total with other signings: £425k

MORE OUTS

Wayne Andrews (Swindon) - £70k

Scott Dann (Oldham) - £250k

Chris Birchall (Bradford) - £160k

Total with other sales: £875k

OVERALL: £450k profit!

6th atm after 13 games, won 6, drawn 3 and lost 4. Best team is something like this currently (hope this works!):

Kolin'ko

Sorin  Ward   Pellegrino Pavlyuchek

Jorge  Ambrose

Cairo                         Gray

Marlet Mifsud

No, I went straight for Coventry with a professional footballer rep. It's a good job to have, by the end of the window I'd made near to a million from selling reserves and brought in some decent players.

MORE INS

Jorge - Free

Género Zeefuik (PSV) - £160k

Maximiliano Pellegrino (Velez) - £160k

Kirill Pavlyuchek (Dinamo Minsk) - £60k

Total with other signings: £425k

MORE OUTS

Wayne Andrews (Swindon) - £70k

Scott Dann (Oldham) - £250k

Chris Birchall (Bradford) - £160k

Total with other sales: £875k

OVERALL: £450k profit!

6th atm after 13 games, won 6, drawn 3 and lost 4. Best team is something like this currently (hope this works!):

Kolin'ko

Sorin  Ward   Pellegrino Pavlyuchek

Jorge  Ambrose

Cairo                         Gray

Marlet Mifsud

Good work . What leagues did you load ?

After I couldnt really seem to get into a game in the other career thread, I've decided to start 1 in here.

The leagues I've loaded are:

England - upto Championship

France - upto Ligue 2

Germany - upto Second Division

Holland - upto First Division

Italy - upto Serie B

Portugal - upto Liga Vitalis

Scotland - upto First Division

Spain - upto Liga BBVA

Will start unemployed with Professional Footballer reputation and report back with who I decide to go

hey ive started with the following leagues-

* england - league 2

* france- ligue 2

* holland- 2 divison

* scotland- divison 3.............. and after applyin for all jobs available i decided to try and guide dr congo to the 2008 african nations

Is there a way o stop me continuing for ages when unemployed as loads of managers are getting sacked but by the time I've finished continuing they have been replaced?

Go on holiday and tick "apply for managerial positions at higher reputation clubs" and "return from holiday when offered a job"?

The team has lots of previously great players from the Premiership who are now past it. With no money to spen on players and seeing as I am paying £105K over my wage budget each week I will have to look to sell a few players who are on the biggest wages and bring in some loan signings.

Started unemployed with rep as pro footballer , i applied for coventry and southampton jobs , coventry offered me a 2 yr contract on 2.5k pw , i accpeted .

currently organising training , squad , fixtures , staff etc .

leagues loaded :

all england and scotland , top 2 germany , france , italy , spain , holland , top portugal

End of August update at St.Pauli has seen me do quite disappointing in the games that I've played.

Out of the German Cup in the first round, losing to Stuttgart 3-1. In the league after 3 games, drawn 2 lost 1 scoring 7 conceding 10. So looks like the problem I need to sort out is the defence.

Managed to get Werder Bremen as a parent club so they sent me a couple of players on loan.

Transfers I brought in are:

Jan Zimmerman - Frankfurt - Loan - GK

Finn Holsing - Werder Bremen - Loan - WB/MR

Kevin Schindler - Werder Bremen - Loan - AMRL/ST

Giorgi Lomaia - Free Transfer - Free - GK

Alejandro Gomez - Arsenal di Sarandi - £100k - AMC

Bogdan Stancu - Unirea Urziceni - £675k - FC

Marko Rehmer - Free Transfer - Free - D/WBR

Gyorgy Korsos - Free Transfer - Free - DRC/WBR/DM

I have good news and bad news about my Cardiff game. I'll tell you the good news first, I have got Liverpool as a parent club and therefore have loaned in Sebastian Leto and Damien Plessis without having ot pay for the wages to accompany the other two loanees of Peter Encklemen and Martin Cranie. The bad news is that our chairman, Peter Risdale, is so stingey that he only allows me to spend £392 per week on wages which I have since worked out that Fowler will have earned that much in just over 3 hours as he earns £20,000, despite being injured all the time since I've joined the Welsh club!

I took over the club one point behind Crystal Palace and promptly went on a 5 game unbeaten run with one draw and four victories bringing Cardiff up to 15th. However our success was to be short lived as we then lost to Scunthorpe 1-0 and despite beating Hull in the FA cup fourth round we lost 2-0 to Sheffield United and 3-0 to Southamptom. It does not even look like we will replicate Cardiffs run irl in the FA cup on football manager as despite getting a home tie in the fifth round we got drawn Chelsea.

SO we are losing money fast and I am looking to take any jobs that are offered to me despite only being at the club for a few months.

Coventry's bank balance has been on the up all season, and finally reached £4m. With just £5k to spend, I asked the board for more funds, and they kindly gave me £2.6m to spend in the January window. Of course, I'm also trying to sell the last of the reserve players (2 players for a combined £180k), but I'm looking to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season.

We've climbed to 2nd after 25 games, and should be able to grab a top 6 finish unless we have a massive drop in form. Steve Marlet hasn't been the same player after a month long injury, but Género Zeefuik's come in and done a brilliant job partnering Michael Mifsud, Zeefuik getting the Player of the Month award for December (aswell as me getting Manager of the Month and Jorge getting Goal of the Month). I've raided PSV again, signing Georginio Wijnaldum for £160k, so we've got two great future prospects already who can go straight into the first team, and he's just been joined by John Fleck for £150k. Next in the line of interest are Bogdan Stancu (£400k) and Lubos Kalouda (£350k), who hopefully should be able to take me to the Premiership.

Just started to load up a game with the view of joining in this fun thread.

Leagues Loaded:

Austraila (Premier Division)

Belgium (Third Division)

China (First Division)

England (League Two)

France (National Division)

Holland (First Divison)

Italy (Serie B)

Russia (Premier Division)

Scotland (Third Division)

Spain (Liga BBVA)

U.S.A (MLS)

Wales (Premier Division)

Not sure where i'd like to go yet going to holiday til October, then go on holiday with apply for jobs on so i dont get the original stuff

The start of January brings about the new transfer window, and Coventry have been busy wheeling and dealing once again.

JANUARY INS (so far)

Georginio Wijnaldum (Feyenoord) - £160k

John Fleck (Rangers) - £150k

Bogdan Stancu (Unirea Urziceni) ) - £400k

Lubos Kalouda (Brno) - £350k

Seasonal total: £1.5m

JANUARY OUTS (so far)

Isaac Osbourne (Preston) - £100k

David McNamee (Motherwell) - £80k

Kevin Thornton (Southampton) - £210k

Robbie Simpson (Colchester) - £1m

Stephen Hughes (Colchester) - £80k

Seasonal Total: £2.4m

OVERALL: £900k profit!

Only mid-January so far but a good month, some more money made in the market and the bank balance is now £4.12m, very healthy atm. Building a team of young guns to fire us into the Premiership, here's my ideal team currently:

Kolin'ko

Sorin   Ward   Pellegrino   Pavlyuchek

Jorge  Wijnaldum

Kalouda                     Fleck

Stancu Zeefuik

Already a vast change in just 6 months.

End of season 1 update

Czech Job offer I was delighted to be offered both the Ghana and Czech Rep jobs. Glad I picked the Czech job, we're just gearing up for Euro 2008.

Final Championship Table After taking over Birmingham after roughly 10 games with them sitting 18th in the Championship, I was delighted to win the Championship. It was all down to my dealings in the transfer market.

Birmingham Transfers I sold all the big name players when I arrived and got some decent cash for them which was then spent on younger, more talented players that suit my system better.

"In a sensational career move, Neil Smith takes the Man City job!" They had fired Mark Hughes (now at Blackburn) early in the season and Martin O'Neil took over, he spent A LOT of money, most of it wisely, but they had an awful season.When I took Man City job

With only 2 games of the season to go to save my new club from relegation we managed to beat Everton 2-0 at home. Then came the big test, final game away to Spurs. We had to win and hope Wigan lost away to Sunderland.Spurs away The Vagner Love goal relegated me. Gutted. It means another season in the Championship while my old side enjoys the Prem. I'm just hoping that I'll be able to hold onto the world class players at City like Elano and Richards. If I can then I expect to bounce straight back up while going on a couple of good cup runs. The board have given me £20mil to spend and are upgrading all the facilities and stadium upon my request.

Here's the sad news...Final Premiership Table

Next up in my career is Euro 2008 with the Czech Rep. Details to follow...

Guest roberto922

I took over Man City in December Neil, I haven't played it too much but I've got a couple of class players coming in with my 45m budget :D

@wisla_krakow-Zeefuik is immense for Chelsea in 2014 in my current career game so it looks like a real coup for you at £160k. :thup:

I know, on my Billericay save in 2014 he's just gone to Man Utd for £24m. Saw Koln had bidded £160k for him (had him on my shortlist), and managed to beat them to him. Equally suprised that I got Wijnaldum and Fleck aswell, three great players for the future. Obviously there's a sell-on percentage involved in each (25% for Fleck and Zeefuik, 35% for Wijnaldum), but hopefully I won't need to sell them for a while.

Some more transfer dealings, sold a few more players (including Leon Best for £1m), I've made £2.1m from transfers this year.

After completing the latest Short Challenge that i posted i decided to continue with Reading and wanted to post my seasons somewhere. Its not really going to much of a career with moving clubs but it'll be at least a 6/7 season save.

Background

Using the July Weegie Update, i took over Reading in late December sitting in 11th place. My ultimate aim was to finish where the media had predicted us; 2nd, or as close to there as possible. I bought in players like Arsharvin for 10m and Kerzakhov for 4m. Selling Shorey for 7.5m on the way. Arsharvin was awesome from AMC, with 17 goals in 17 games. We finished 2nd in the end and was automatically promoted to the premiership.

Second season saw us need to stave off relegation but oddly we were predicted 14th. Too high for a recently promoted club surely? We stuggled to get off the mark but the latter half of the season we came into our own and we managed to reach the dizzy heights of 13th. Players like Goitom(4m) Digard (2.5m) Adrien (1.7m) Ramsey (2.5m) and Merida (2m) came in with a few other players. Spending 21m in the process. The biggest sale was Harper to West Ham for 5mil and Rosenior to Wigan (2.5m).

I will post my third season with screenshots in the next half hour or so when the season is completed.

I have just finished my Cardiff season and we did very well finishing 14th as we had a very strong April and May getting 13 points in our last five games giving us a very good position seein as Cadiff were in the relegation zone when I took over. Lots of the players will not sign new contracts so that will get our wage budget back to normal (50.71K) but we will also have a very small squad. This was how I did in my half a season:

Championship: 14th
FA Cup      : 5th Round
League Cup  : 3rd Round

I was already knocked out of the league cup when I took over so I could not be blamed for not getting very far in that. However I managed every round on the FA cup where we went through two rounds until we lost ot Chelsea in a very high scoring game 6-2.

The Portsmouth manager, Tony Adams, is under pressure however and I am being linked as the favourite for the job with the media and if he gets sacked I will be applying for the job as I don't feel I can do anything with Cardiff as we have no money and we are losing all of our best players as their contracts are runnning out.

Season Team    Pos. League       Country Achievements

07/08  Cardiff 14th Championship England Took over in December

Reading 2009/10 EPL

Predicted - 13th

Finished - 1st

Transfer Budget - 14mil(after adjusting)

Transfers

I've assembled a fairly good squad but didn't think it was that good to win the league. Squad/Stats

Stars Players - Arsharvin Goitom Kalou

Finances

Next season I will aim to repeat this feat but will look to get as far in Europe as possible. Major strengthening is needed in a few positions.

Nice and brief for you all heh.

Damn jealous experienced players, they're trying to undermine my youngsters :(. Already had two news messages I've never had before, both saying "Pressure gets to Wijnaldum/Fleck", though Fleck's personal page doesn't seem to show this. For Wijnaldum, a former Coventry player is questioning that he is not mature enough to play for us (3 goals in 12 games so far, 7.25 average rating), and for Fleck a first-team squad member (who is un-named) is questioning his maturity and if he deserves a first-team place (11 games, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM and 7.27 average rating).

Not really sure why I'm getting these messages, both players are excelling in the squad and are coping with playing week in week out.

Do you lot think i should post in here, I read above that posters would prefer new games to be started unemployed...i know i didn't start unemployed but i'd rather post in here than GTPG, (although i have but that was a mistake, its so crap in there)....

I just started this. Normally I start the game with a small club, so this is something new for me. I hope it can get me out of the FM slump I'm experiencing latley.

Leagues loaded: Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, Scotland, England, Spain, Portugal and Italy (top 2 leagues loaded) and Austria, Switzerland and Denmark (top level only).

Started unemployed with a professional reputation. I'm now holidaying untill september, after that I'll start applying for jobs.

Archived