The Career Thread - big club edition

The Daily Moon, Wednesday 19th March, 2009

Ex-Everton Manager in shock Cagliari Appointment! By Keith Goor

In what has to be one of the shocks of the season, former Everton manager Jeremy English has been appointed as the new Cagliari manager, taking over after Ferdinando Franco was sacked. Despite many Italian newspapers saying that English was a favorite for the job, many Brits were shocked by the appointment, presuming English was waiting for a job in English football.

Since leaving Everton in July 2008, Jeremy English has turned down many jobs including: Nottingham Forest, Leeds Utd, Southampton, Derby County, Bristol Rovers, Stoke City, Birmingham City and Cardiff City. But perhaps all along English was just waiting for a job abroad.

The Serie B side currently sit 6th in the table, and with 10 games left are just 15 points off a promotion spot, although promotion this season looks unlikely, Jeremy English will certainly have a good chance of managing Cagliari to a Serie A return in the near future. In an interview yesterday Jeremy English said that it had taken him a while to recover from the disappointment of his first and only season at Everton, however that is nothing compared to the disappointment his replacement Steve Coppell has turned out to be. Everton currently sit a horrific 16th in the Premier Division, with 8 games to go they are on level points with 18th placed Watford, ahead only on goal difference, and some believed that English would be going back to Goodison Park to rescue his old side, but this seems to not be the case.

'Of course I am very saddened to see the way Everton have performed this year, the team I had could easily have gotten at least 6th this season. I admit, in January 08 I lost Yobo to Lyon, but the transfers Coppell has made have been poor. Releasing Nuno Valente and Lee Carsley were horrific decisions, then selling Tim Cahill was another mistake. The players he brought in, Leon Andreasen, David Ferreira, Christian Obodo, Asier Del Horno and Steve Sidwell have all been poor signings. He hasn't managed to get the best out of the 3 key strikers, Yakubu, Johnson and Farfan either, they've only scored 33 goals between all 3 of them, which is very poor. I am very surprised he is still manager, he should have been sacked a long time ago. It will take years for Everton to get back to where they were last season now.'

When asked about why he chose Cagliari, English had this to say 'I'm very excited about this new challenge, it is a new experience for me, even if it all goes wrong at least I will have learned some Italian, got some experience managing in the Italian league, and a suntan.'

English has denied rumours that he was drunk when signing the contract, one man said English had originally thought Cagliari were 8th in Serie A, not 6th in Serie B. 'I was not drunk when I signed the contract, or when I first heard about the job. I may have thought Cagliari were 8th in Serie A, but I wasn't drunk, perhaps tired, but drunk I was not.'

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lmao paul, how did you manage that xD also I sold cahill and andy johnson this season xD but im in the 2012/2013 season so i wanted to squeeze some good cash out of some players who werent all that important to me, I managed to get 2 million from andy johnson :O and 1.5 million for a 33 year old anelka xD I also got 4.2 million for cahill which was exactly what he was worth. Now i need a winger or 3

Yeh this isn't turning out to be one of my best transfer windows, i suddenly realised i was extremely short of wingers and couldn't find any ones i could afford and eventually bought a 33 year old damien duff for 4 million... xD I find it hard when it gets to these years to make transfers especially when i havn't got a good amount of cash and cant splash out alot

Guest roberto922

Everton for Cagliari! Dissapointed at finishing 6th? Jeez :D So is this your bigger thing that Everton was a stepping stone to? :rolleyes:

thanks for sorting out my table :D

this isn't really an update but a little bit of news for Coventry :)

I have someone being sold for 1.1m in Jan :D

and a young amc called tales is coming in for 50k :p

But in the league, late goals galore all going against me :( and sitting currently at 18th when so many results have unluckily gone the other way i can't see a top half finish, hard work is needed and i may have to call upon some loans in the January transfer window to try and make top half or better

As for money stupid bank loans making me lose 500k monthly, so with all these thoughts whether i will last a season at the club i feel i have rebuilt, i don't know.

Will Josh Roll make a 2nd step in his management career :p

Will he be able to leave players behind? I doubt it :p

Edit: Just won 2-1 away at Sheffield Wednesday for only my 4th victory in the 15 league games so far. Marlet on fire :p

Oh god, not Tales, my brother is like in love with him.

He signs him every time he plays with me, even if he is Man U or someone like that, where he is not good enough.

:D hehe, I always liked him but never signed him before, i wanted Alejandro Gomez but work permit problems stopped that deal :(

But Tales is cheap and talented :p

Strarted unemployed with pro footballer rep , going to wait a bit to see what jobs some up cause Coventry , Southampton etc dont excite me , i would rather start in L1/L2 to get some experience first , rather than dive in at the deep end .

back down to earth, now been easily beaten twice in a row 2-1 loss to bristol city and 5-1 to plymouth :(

just to make it better i got wigan away in my fa cup 3rd round draw :(

slipping back towards relegation zone :(

Edit: Injury time equaliser against me loses me another 2 deserved points, typical Kevin Thornton is plagued with injuries but he came back from them twice for 1 game and scored in each and just at the end of last game he gets injured again :( he looks really good too

The new injury: 3 weeks - 2 months aaaaargghhh

Josh Roll's Coventry career looks in huge doubt, he is slowly getting more and more worried of how the team are turning out, the defense leaks goals and all the strikers keep going on droughts, sitting in 20th position he feels it might be better for the club if he moves on, after their recent 4 game losing streak against average teams he is starting to worry about what will happen with this season, playoffs seem to far adrift now and relegation is always creeping around the corner. There have been rumors going around that he may want to take a few players who have excelled at his new club whilst he has been there, Mika Aaritalo, the 22 year old finish AMR/AML/ST, Francisco Duran AMC, Genero Zeefuik ST and finally Arthur Sorin DR all young stars for the future, he wants to take them for very small fees, which could cause massive riots amongst the Sky Blues fans he has came to love :D

The January transfer opens but what will have happened in 1 months time :p

haha i am the best

Nice update mate come on Persevere with the Sky BLues!

In my own game in my first competitive managerial game in my career my team Hearts beat Hibernian 3-1!:D But its early days as the world and his missus seem to keep outbidding me on players i want:mad:

Will post detailed update soon:thup:

haha i am the best

Nice update mate come on Persevere with the Sky BLues!

In my own game in my first competitive managerial game in my career my team Hearts beat Hibernian 3-1!:D But its early days as the world and his missus seem to keep outbidding me on players i want:mad:

Will post detailed update soon:thup:

steve marlet finally off his drought in fa cup 3rd round against wigan away, but still lost ;( 4-2, i can't see me turning it around so i think i will give it one more game and then consider my options, i'd rather resign than get sacked.....

Edit: Just going into my Wolves away game, and i decided that if i lose i will leave after doing my dealings :p and i'm most certainly going now after being 4-0 down at half time :( i would really have liked to do wonders at this club but i don't want to get sacked, and i want to keep those players, so selling them to the right club and then leaving will be the only way to keep them and my dignity :p:P:P:P

The Daily Moon, Monday 1st June 2009

Cagliari make Serie B play-off with last gasp Acquafresca goal! By Sillinto Maccaronni

Jeremy English who has only been at Cagliari for 76 days, has given Cagliari a good chance of returning to Serie A next season. Cagliari grabbed 6th place in the Serie B and are only 3 games away from Serie A football next season, although it is not sure whether Jeremy English will stay at Cagliari promoted or not, what is clear is that in this short period as manager, he's certainly done a lot for the Italian side.

I wasn't really at Cagliari for long enough to be able to write a decent update, so therefore I wont :D

Career so far:

Year      Club          League            Position            Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007-08   Everton       Eng Premiership   6th                 Won the League Cup
2008-09   Cagliari      Ita Serie B       6th                 Joined in March, lost in Play-off Semi's

Well, after resigning from Cagliari last season I've been on the look for a job and it looks like i've found it. With over half of Serie B to go (Dec 7th 2009) I have taken over at 10th placed Catania, who are only 14 points off top place Siena. Now under normal circumstances I would not have taken this job, but once I found out that the transfer budget was a cool £16.25M I never looked back! :D

PaulHartman71

:eek:16.25M damn i thought 1.3M for Hearts was good:D

Okay in my game as you can see below my first month in managment has been inconsistent at best. But overall i am truly not happy with the teams performances but in all fairness we have only just found a tactic that is working for us:D(yes thats my excuse)

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08262008210135so3.jpg

Transfers on the other hand have been absouloutely appaling!(Below) As you can see the transfers are less than good but all i can say is i did have a few more transfers but they were all turned down through work permits:mad:.

http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08262008210700fy7.jpg

Guest roberto922

I used to be the same, I still use them quite a bit but I've tried to use them less after I was told to STFU in the Olympics thread lol

good luck, it will be fun :)

Well my AS Monaco career was short and not at all sweet. Around 3 months were full of 90th min equalisers against me and red cards everygame, bu the end of my reign there had been 13 red cards!!!! Then i couldn't cope with it so i went on holiday and we finally won a game then soon after i was sacked, so i am now off job-hunting. It looked like I was just going to get Monaco promoted but really i couldn't do much with them, attendances were below 4000! and they were in debt and losing a lot of money. My sun-tan isn't great as i wasn't there during the summer, i look to get a job before june/july so this time i can do my work rather than not knowing any of the players.

Edit: Just received job offer for Real Sociedad, I think i'm gunna take it, but I might wait till the summer and get a better job, anyway i can resign if i want ;)

I need some good transfer money to nick some of my favourite players from my old club (aston villa) xD Like matias ferndandez is unhappy but he's worth loads, and im in his favoured personelle and it upsets me to see him on the subs bench when he was my captain xD

well my third season in management is over, after taking over in December this is how my Catania career panned out...

League Table - As you can see, we ended up 5th which was good enough for the play-offs. In our semi final we defeated Piacenza 6-3 on aggregate which got us into the final against Modena. We lost the first leg of the final (I know two finals, confused me too :D) 4-1, despite a 3-2 victory in the second leg of the final in wasn't enough and for a second season running i'd lost out on promotion from Serie B.

Position Graph - I took over on game 18, so as you can see, I helped the team to a steady rise to get into the play-off position they ended up in.

Transfers - I had around 17M to blow, I didn't blow it all but I spent a fair bit of it. My first signing was 24 year old Brazilian striker Felipe for £4.1M, and boy did he turn out to be a good bit of business! Digao, El Zhar and Pachecho never really fitted in to my plans and only got a handful of appearances between them. Ficagna was only really on the fringes, and made quite a few sub appearances. You can also see I sold Jorge Martinez for £8.75M, he was too good for Serie B level and he wanted to go. The money didn't hurt either.

Players Worth Mentioning -

Jesper Christiansen - He did a good job in goal, keeping 12 clean sheets in 39 games, not bad for an aging Danish keeper.

Matias Silvestre - Initially confused with Arsenal's Silvestre (yeah that's right he's ours) Matias was a very good defender for us, made 3 MOTM appearances, and scored 3 goals too, a very handy defender.

Niki Zimling - 36 games, 6 goals, 3 assists and 2 MOTM's. Doesn't look that amazing on paper, but when you consider all 6 of those goals were penalties it shows just how crucial Niki Zimling was to us, a great Dane he certainly is.

Takayuki Morimoto - Apart from having an awesome name this guy really has a big future in the game, and surely will have a great National career with Japan. Overall he played 26 times, scored 5, got 5 assists but most crucially got 4 MOTM's, he was a very good player, and despite being injury prone he had a very good season.

Mikael Forssell - I was fairly surprised when I saw him on the team sheet, he didn't play as much as he perhaps should, but the 3 goals he scored were all when he came on as a super sub.

Richard Porta - Whilst I was at the club he wasn't that lethal, although his scoring record of getting more than 1 goal every 2 matches shows that he was a very important member of the team, and a great striking partner for my Brazilian signing.

Felipe - well, well, well. What a signing he was! In just 26 games he scored 20 goals, got 7 assists and got 5 MOTM's, he was the main reason we got to the play-offs, and I believe he could easily play in the Serie A. To show how special he was, in just 26 games he scooped Serie B player of the year award! And along with Silvestre featured in the Serie B team of the year! Not to mention getting signing of the season :D

But as I said we weren't promoted, and with many of those players now being hunted down by bigger clubs Jeremy thought it was best to step down

Who knows just where Jeremy English will end up next, the unpredictable former Everton, Cagliari and now Catania boss is on the look out for a new job!

Career so far:

2007-08   Everton       Eng Premiership   6th                 Won the League Cup
2008-09   Cagliari      Ita Serie B       6th                 Joined in March, lost in Play-off Semi's
2009-10   Catania       Ita Serie B       5th                 Joined in December, lost in Play-off final

A seasonof nothing very special but it could have been worse I guess. An average 11th spots, but we still are in the Euro Vase and, we got a great transfer budget.

My Big Team Career:

2008      FC Dallas     MLS                1st                Won the MLS
2009/10   Q.P.R         Championship       10th               Left 1st Jan 2010.
2010/11   Birmingham    Championship       2nd                Promotion, left 
                                                             because of debt and joined Newcastle.
2011/12   Newcastle     Premiership        11th               Finished 11th

Right it's about time i posted my Shakhtar exploits in this thread.

Shaking up the Ukraine

Season 1 - Part 1

Well I'm in the middle of the winter break in the first season.

League table

1st. Shakhtar played 18, won 16, drawn 1, lost 1 49 points

2nd. Dinamo Kiev played 18, won 14, drawn 2, lost 2 44 points

3rd. Metalist played 18, won 13, drawn 2, lost 3 41 pts

I'm comfortable in the league having only let in 6 goals whilst scoring 44.

Transfers - IN

Arshavin - £7.5 million

Lloris - £15 million

Vennegoor of Hesselink - £ 7.5 million

Menez - £10 million

Goossens - 500k

Frei - £10 million (January)

Total = £51 million

Transfers - OUT

Hubschman - £5 million

Fernandinho - £2 million

Various other reserves - £9 million

Total = 16 million

The new signings have been the main force of my team so far netting 29 goals between the three of them.

The main idea of taking over Shakhtar was to try and make inroads into Europe. I qualified for the CL group stage, but then I performed terribly ending up with only 1 point in my group of Real Madrid, Benfica and Marseille.

My performance in the cups has been good though as we are still in the Ukrainian cup at the quaterfinal stage.

Overview

Signings - Excellent

League - Good

Cup -Good

Champions League - Bad

( I hope my update is alright)

Archived