FM13 with bigger text/pictures in high resoultion/big monitors?

since i haven't got an answer in the official FM13 announcement thread, i shall have to start a new thread for this question:

any news on whether fm13 will support higher resolution monitors by having bigger text/pictures? at the moment, i am forced to play at a 1024x768 resolution just so that i can read the writing. this obviously means that all SIs hard work in getting lovely HD quality 3d match engine is wasted on me - and i would guess, alot of other people - due to the decrease in the resolution we play in.

I play on 27" 1920x1080 and i can read text normally. What sort of monitor do you have and what is your usual resolution?

That's because your monitor has the biggest pixels of all.

I'd also be curious if some kind of UI/text scaling has been implemented. It looks fine on my main 24" 1920x1200 screen, but the text does seem a little too small on monitors with smaller pixel pitch such as 21.5" 1920x1080 or 27" 2560x1440.

here are two screen shots. the higher res is too small for me to view for long periods of time. note the amount of gaps at the bottom of the screen, or in each of the squares of information, for the higher res, as well.

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/1589/home1024x768.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/3062/home1920x1200.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/292/home21024x768.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img253/6429/home21920x1200.png

of course, i'm mentioning the font size, but it could be a case of the font-type that's causing the problem. or it could be the colour of the font.

are you quite far away from the screen postal? I use the same resolution on a 28" monitor with no issues at all, and I sit about 60cm away.

If you are sat really close to a big screen then it's probably fine. It's when you have a high resolution on a smaller screen that it becomes a big problem.

I have a 16.4" laptop with a screen resolution of 1920x1080, that makes the text hard to read.

here are two screen shots. the higher res is too small for me to view for long periods of time. note the amount of gaps at the bottom of the screen, or in each of the squares of information, for the higher res, as well.

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/1589/home1024x768.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/3062/home1920x1200.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/292/home21024x768.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img253/6429/home21920x1200.png

of course, i'm mentioning the font size, but it could be a case of the font-type that's causing the problem. or it could be the colour of the font.

That's exactly what it is like with me, and I'm using a 47" TV sitting roughly 2 meters away. This is why I use the 1024x768 resolution instead. I don't understand why high resolution should mean small fonts. High resolution is high resolution, not necessarily more stuff on screen. Things are sharper and prettier. More pixels = smoother so that the graphics become clearer. Why reduce the size of it all?

I've never had any problems reading the text on 2560 x 1440.

We have made the font larger in some places in both FM and FMC for FM 2013, so hopefully this will improve your experience if you're finding the text is a little too small for your tastes.

Please, please, please, is one of those places player attributes?

• 4 weeks later...

We have made the font larger in some places in both FM and FMC for FM 2013, so hopefully this will improve your experience if you're finding the text is a little too small for your tastes.

:eek: You obviously have the eyesight of an eagle or microscopes permanently attached to eyeballs!

I made a poll thread where I asked about people's monitor sizes. It wasn't very well done, though; what I really wanted to know was how many uses specialized PC monitors and how many uses their TV when they play FM. I think it is possible that 10% of people are now using their (or one of their) TV as their only computer screen or use it instead of their laptop screen via HDMI. Given how the use of the PC as an entertainment/multimedia centre has increased and will likely continue to increase, the tabletop placed in the corner out of the way or in its own room is quickly going out of fashion.

In other words, in the future, the currently small portion of SI's customers that plays FM on their TV is on the increase, and because of the lack of customization of font/box/button size it is impossible to use the natural 1920x1080 resolution when sitting 2 meters away from a 47" TV.

When I stretch my hands out to the maximum while remaining seated where I am, the width of my TV in sight is roughly the same as my keyboard on my lap. So if you have a widescreen laptop, my TV screen is just about the same size for me as your entire laptop computer is for you when writing. This means that for the continue button to be anything but a pixel in the distance it needs to be minimum 1/4th the size of your laptop (I mean physically, if it was moved two meters away).

"Slightly larger in some instances" isn't good enough for me and many others. The font is now tiny. A post-it note seen from two meters away would be small. I need gigantohumongoustitanic... and a dark background.

• 5 weeks later...

Obviously one size cannot satisfy everyone. So why not make an adjusting bar allowing ppl to have their favorite size?

I still find the text in FM13 is far too small. Very unpleasant.

• 4 weeks later...

The other thread regarding this issue is at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/277210-FM2012-DPI-Settings-and-Font-Sizes/page2?

SI posted on there too and yes their posts were just as ice cold and disinterested as the post from them here. Myself and a great many others clearly suffer from this too small font size problem. I have a Dell M18x Gaming Laptop with native screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 and out of all software I have used and currently installed then not one of them has this 'small font' issue.

This issue is specific to the FM software and nothing to do with screen resolutions. It is so basic and easy to fix that it really highlights SI Games' "couldn't care less" attitude when they can't even admit the problem is 100% their software and they cannot give a straight answer to any of the community users questions and statements. This indicates that SI Games do not appreciate customer feedback nor do they acknowledge it and nor are they bothered about their customers gaming experience.

Perhaps the developers are just poor coders or lazy or both -OR- perhaps it is the whole company "SI" that just doesn't care. Whatever the reason then this is just embarassing for SI Games because as a developer I know the importance of a quality and configurable GUI (Graphical User Interface) and it makes me cringe at the thought that they are unable to add the most basic of functions such as user configurable font sizes. Shame on you!

I agree we all have varying levels of eyesight but that is only a tiny part of this equation. The fact is that what you see and how that is interpreted is certainly subjective and that is why it is important for all users to be able to configure the font size to suit their own vision levels. I mean, how can anyone not agree with that? (BTW if you don't agree then please do explain why?)

Forget about skins and editing XML which is all well and good for people interested in that sort of customisation and I agree they are excellent features to "play" with but that is not the point. By advising users to do that then you are just saying "yeah we don't care coz you can just go hack the code yourself so it is your fault if your font is small and not ours" - this attitude just stinks of ingnorance and laziness! It is the sole responsiblity of the software developer(s) to provide functional tools, (especially such a basic tool as adjusting font size), in their software and not to shift that responsibility over to the end-user - come on, get a grip and give yourself a shake!

So come on SI Games: stop tyre kicking, stop avoiding the subject, stop ignoring your community, stop showing a lack of interest in this extremely serious issue and START to address this basic task and add the function for configurable font sizes to FM2012 and all future releases of the game and prove to us that you care about your customers and listen to our feedback and take us seriously.

I hope nobody is too offended by reading the truth and facts and thanks for taking time to read this post.

Ive got exactly the same issue with my enjoyment of the game due to the size of text. I used to play FM on my 17" monitor at 1920 x 1080 resolution. I lowered this for FM 2012 and was happy, however I have had to lower this again in FM 2013 to 1280 x 768 resolution. I lose some of the text/boxes as a result of this, however as the game is so good I dont mind this sacrifice.

The main box that I lose which annoys me is the scout report box below the team formation part of the tactics screen. The box which houses the scouts report on dangermen and how to best approach the next fixture. I end up having to keep changing resolution before games that I am not familiar with the opposition so that I can view this. Its a shame this box is not available elsewhere.

I am really glad that some other people are having the same issues as myself. As I said, I dont mind playing on the lower resolution so that I can read the text. The higher resolution looks really good, but the text is way to small to read and for the first two weeks i had a really bad headache because of this.

For now my biggest grip is my inability to see the players names during the match. I am playing on 1280 x 768 and during the match I struggle to read the players names, however in some games it seems a bit better if the pitch is lush green and there is no sunlight or shadows on the pitch. However it was definately clearer in FM 2012 previous versions. Is anyone finding this issue annoying like me or better still does anyone know how to make the text above the players heads during the match much more crisp/clear or legible?

Thanks, otherwise cracking improvements and game

PinkYoshi,

Thanks for this. I have downloaded and will try tomorrow to see if this is better for me. Re-tried the hightest resolution again on my PC 1920 x 1080. During the match and in the text screens prior there is no doubt the quality is much better and the names above the players heads are clearer. I just think that its just a little too small for me to see without straining after a while. i need to scroll the mouse during the game to get a closer look at the action, Yep its a true reflection of how games are shown on TV but I still prefered the older way when cameras could zoom in during play. Must be getting older now and cranky. I wish that you could zoom in closer during the match than you currently can. I understand that a "fix" will be in the next patch to sort the issue with the game not remembering where you had scrolled your mouse during game play and have to continually do this during the game. I hope that they all for the camera to hone in even closer than is currently available then playing in the higher resolution may be an option for me.

It seems that I will need to swith between two resolutions during game play. One for the match itself (higher res to see players names clearly) then one for the screens outwith the match engine (lower resolution so that I can read the text)

May sound like I am moaning, but its a great game and I really want to play it to the best of its capabilities and enjoy doing this at the same time.

i think player fonts are hardcoded during matches, but you should be able to see a little easier when going through match reports and attribues and stuff

you can also try zooming in with mousewheel during matches, it helps a little

There is also a mod called brighter ball, that makes the ball easier to see in 3d mode

PinkYoshi, thanks for the try, but nothing really changed... don't know why fonts are still the same little dots and it's really annoing. My eyes are killing me...

Can someone make a tutorial of how to edit those fonts on my own... yes I change the numers in settings.xml but nothing really changes after that... is there something else I should do?

PinkYoshi, thanks for the try, but nothing really changed... don't know why fonts are still the same little dots and it's really annoing. My eyes are killing me...

Can someone make a tutorial of how to edit those fonts on my own... yes I change the numers in settings.xml but nothing really changes after that... is there something else I should do?

Tick off the "always load skin" button? A button in Preferences at least...

• 1 year later...
PinkYoshi...I used this all the time but have gone back to fm2013 and have lost it...the download link doesn't work anymore...do you still have it as it made fm2013 loads easier on my iMac!

I wouldn't hold out for a reply, PinkYoshi hasn't posted for nearly a year.

Archived