FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That gambian striker is called Omar Koroma IRL. The fictional players aren't very realistic :D. Also sure I recognise that canadian GK :D. If you improve the contract offer of a player that someone else has offered a contract to, they seem to always sign with you btw forest. The gambian striker is definitely worth getting so just improve the offer a bit :)

That gambian striker is called Omar Koroma IRL. The fictional players aren't very realistic :D. Also sure I recognise that canadian GK :D. If you improve the contract offer of a player that someone else has offered a contract to, they seem to always sign with you btw forest. The gambian striker is definitely worth getting so just improve the offer a bit :)

Yeah, I recognised him as well. We'd signed the equivalent in our game before NF posted his report. :)

I've never played with different player names. Should be interesting.

Same, hardly ever with attribute masking as well, but as I generally scout as many players as my staff can handle in a realistic time (often a few hundred at least) to create a large pool of players to choose from, the bit about needing to be able to scout players (though I know you don't actually need to) isn't a problem (and will reveal attributes as well).

Why would you not play with attribute masking if you scout anyway? I've never even considered playing with it off to be honest!

As for different names, I don't know who many players are at that level, and those I do know, I could never recognise from stats, so it'll be just like playing when every player is a regen :)

Why would you not play with attribute masking if you scout anyway? I've never even considered playing with it off to be honest!

Good point, probably force of habit because until a year or two ago I went down the player search list looking at each player (to a point) to decide who might be worth scouting, which took rather a long time. There are still a few cases (looking at the opposition, when a player is offered, good cheap young players from Africa who I can't scout but are very useful indeed in the smaller European leagues, which is why they're an exception to the point that I actively look for them) where I might want to take a look, even just out of curiosity. Plus one while I don't remember I'm not sure everything would be revealed anyway (depending on scout and level probably).

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - Pre-Season

Transfers

Transfer Screen

Gerry McNally - Was signed on a non-contract to develop him in the youth team at the lowest cost possible.

Pa Ceesay - Our first international, the Gambian striker adds a lot of firepower to our attack.

Shane Logan - Same as McNally, except he goes into the reserve team.

Spencer McMahon - Our new goalkeeper after we missed out on Majer. He has to live off his appearance fees.

Jack Gregory - Can cover for both wings and was thus signed on loan until the end of the season.

Gus Wright - We were in dire need of a rightback after Danny Senior left for Eastleigh and loaning in Wright without paying any of his wages seemed like good business.

Gerard Rogers - Model professional and our new left winger.

Mike Duffy - I sort of panic bought him when I saw the state our midfield was in going into the season and it turns out he is a decent player.

Josh Griffiths - Same as Duffy, except he's older, worse and unlikely to still be at the club by the turn of the year.

Staff

On my first day at the club I set about looking for some cheap scouts to find me some players early on. The two that I signed are Wes Park and Thomas Gwynne and I have sinced gotten the board to agree to allow us six though I haven't made use of that yet. We also signed a fitness coach in Joe Buckley after players complained about the standard of our fitness coaching.

Friendlies

Friendlies are for me just an exercise to get the squad confident, fit and gelled, so I cancelled all of the existing matches and organised new ones against the weakest (and cheapest) teams I could find.

Here's how they went:

ColwynBayFixtures_Fixtures.jpg

Some good wins, but also a defeat in the last one which didn't make me feel very confident about the start of the season.

First Choice Eleven

GK McMahon

DR Wright

DC Lovell

DC Francis

DL Fitzgerald

MC Baxter

MC Griffiths

RW James

LW Rogers

ST Dallas

ST Ceesay

These are the players that would be starting in big matches if everyone was fit.

Finances

Our finances are still in the black at the end of August. We're also spending £724 less than our wage budget, so if good players become available there's a good chance that we might sign them.

Number of Foreigners

2 - Not including players from GB and Ireland - we have 1 Gambian and 1 Jamaican.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - August

The leagues in England start early. Too early for my liking as I'd have preferred to have some more time get signings in and get my team fit, but despite this we were more or less ready to face the season when it started. Still much readier than several other teams it appears.

6/8/2011 - Colwyn Bay 1-1 Nuneaton

The Dallas-Ceesay partnership showed some exciting things upfront, and indeed the Gambian headed in a cross from his strike partner after 17 minutes. Our lead was not to last, however, as Nuneaton sent their three centrebacks forward for a corner and one of them inevitably scored a thumping header on the brink of half time. The second half was about as boring as you can get and the score remained 1-1. A good wake up call to remind us that we couldn't take wins for granted and would need to work to outscore the opposition.

Scorers: Ceesay

9/8/2011 - Histon 1-4 Colwyn Bay

Mike Duffy got his first start for the Seagulls and he showed his gratitude by opening the scoring in the 12th minute. Dallas converted a penalty three minutes later and his strike partner, Andy Lawton in the absence of Ceesay, went on to score the next one just before half time. Jonathan James added another in the second half, before Histon grabbed themselves a consolation goal.

Scorers: Duffy, Dallas (pen), Lawton, James

13/8/2011 - Colwyn Bay 5-1 Boston Utd

After a good win in the last match we went into this one confident of scoring and after several missed chances Nick Pateman managed to place the ball into the net. As the game neared half time it was Lawton-time and he grabbed a brace in three minutes before the teams went into the changing rooms. After 74 minutes the next one was theirs as their striker profited from a defensive mistake, but Ricardo Francis made amends three minutes later when he scored from a corner. The match seemed to settle down at that point, until James popped up on the far post and scored a diving header from a Pateman cross.

Scorers: Pateman, Lawton (2), Francis, James

20/8/2011 - Solihull Moors 3-2 Colwyn Bay

Joe Fitzgerald decided that it would be funny to score against his own team and we found ourselves 1-0 down after 22 minutes. The half ended on that score, substitutions were made and after just 27 seconds Ceesay evened the scoreline. Fourteen minutes later we conceded again, only for Pateman to put us level another four minutes later. In the 83rd minute Solihull injured Francis, forcing me to shift Baxter to the back and James, who was playing up front at that point, into midfield. We conceded in the 90th minute and saw Pateman stretchered off just before the final whistle went. Both our injured players were fully fit after the match.

Scorers: Ceesay, Pateman

27/8/2011 - Colwyn Bay 4-1 Vauxhall

James opened the scoring after 21 minutes, following several missed chances. Half time came, went and Ceesay scored in the 48th minute. As the match went into the last ten minutes Dallas blasted a shot past the opposition's keeper and he did the same when we won a penalty. Then the referee gave another penalty against us which was duly converted.

Scorers: James, Ceesay, Dallas (2, pen)

30/8/2011 - Bishop's Stortford 0-0 Colwyn Bay

The result may be a 0-0 draw, but this match was about as far from a bore draw as you get while still drawing. The game was end to end with numerous bookings and continued at a frantic pace until the referee finally blew his whistle. While not losing against the current league leaders was a relief, I was disappointed with our finishing as only two shots from ten were on target. On another day this could have been a 3-0 win for us.

Scorers: N/A

League Table

As things stand we're 8th, one point from the playoff spots and three from league leaders Nuneaton. We were 1st after three matches.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - September 2011

Three players have joined the club since the last update. The first two are Matthew Wright and Paul Jones. Both on non-contracts and with £45 and £100 appearance fees respectively. Later Graham O'Neill became available. He's got some good key skills for a striker and certainly offers more technical ability than Lawton. Will be third choice initially, but I'll let you see for yourselves how he did when he came off the bench in the last game of the month.

3/9/2011 - Stalybridge 0-1 Colwyn Bay

Darren Griffiths found the head of Jeff Lovell from a corner in the second half and he sent it past the Stalybridge keeper. Win scraped, despite Dallas being injured only a few minutes earlier.

Scorers: Lovell

10/9/2011 - Gainsborough 2-6 Colwyn Bay

Gainsborough started strongly, with the backing of the home support and managed to score in the tenth minute. We equalised through a James diving header, but went under again when Dallas scored an own goal from a corner. Lovell scored a header from a corner before the referee could signal the end of the half. In the second half he scored another two from two freekicks, to seal his hat-trick. He basically earned his wages for the month with this performance. Late into added time Ceesay popped up in front of their goalkeeper and finished coolly.

Scorers: D. Griffiths, James, Lovell (3), Ceesay

17/9/2011 - Colwyn Bay 0-1 Altrincham

We were, quite frankly, terrible. Conceded stupidly and then Francis got himself sent off with a violent tackle to quash any chance we had of getting back into the game. We kept pushing forwards towards the end of the match, but Lawton ensured that we didn't score by blasting even the easiest chances wide.

20/9/2011 - Colwyn Bay 3-2 Hyde

McMahon opened the scoring for Hyde and they held their lead until half time. The team received an overdue hairdryer treatment, which led Ceesay to score thirteen minutes into the second half. Lovell gave us the lead by heading home from a corner, but we immediately conceded again. The draw was looking certain, until, in dramatic fashion, Lovell found the space to get his head to the ball from a freekick in injury time. Goal and a win to keep us in touch with the league leaders. That's six goals in eight matches from Lovell, I don't know what he is on, but I can't say I dislike it.

Scorers: Ceesay, Lovell (2)

24/9/2011 Worcester City 1-4 Colwyn Bay

Ceesay and Jack Gregory scored in a dominant first half. O'Neill came in for injured Mark Dallas at the start of the second half and he managed to wreak havoc in the Worcester penalty box, aided perhaps by an opposition player being sent off, scoring two goals on his debut. Dallas is out for six weeks, so O'Neill has a great chance to grab a starting spot.

Scorers: Ceesay, Gregory, O'Neill (2)

League Table

Sitting pretty in third with the highest goals scored total in the league. Our finances are also still in the black.

Fixed. :)

Doing well Romanista. :D

:D

Thanks (and thanks PH71 and HeadHunta as well of course)! I've got a bit of a problem though: we've got this centreback, Jeff Lovell, who has now scored 9 goals in 11 starts. He gets them with headers at the back post from corners and from freekicks. That's just not a normal scoring rate for a centreback, especially since I'm not aiming any balls towards him specifically. Do you guys think I should limit his appearances to avoid giving us an unfair advantage? I feel like I may have unwittingly hit upon an exploit with the amount of goals that he's getting.

Danny Roberts' Staines Town - August 2011

Three more players joined the club Paul Hale, Alan Gordon and James Faye all joined the club on free transfers. Whilst Dave Knock, Niall Adams, Craig Cawley and Paul Griffin all left the club.

Results

AugustResults.png

A good set of results in this month and it has definitely set us up for the season hopefully. We were unlucky to lose the first game of the season as we conceded 2 goals in the last 8 minutes. However, karma balanced itself out as in 2 of our games that month. We scored late on.

I also came third in the manager of the month award.

My Player of the Month - Chipping in with some key goals. He thoroughly deserves it.

Finances

League Table

Danny Roberts' Staines Town - September 2011

Results

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-1.png

Another good month for a side that are expected to finish mid-table. We weren't as good as our first month in terms of performances. We've had to grind results out to keep us in the running.

Got this news. Whilst I'm slightly disappointed. He hasn't scored since August.

Also got this news. Our second choice left back is now injured for a long period of time along with our first choice. It means our 18 year old left back who hasn't exactly excelled will probably have to start.

My Player of the Month

Finances

FA Cup Draw

FA Cup Draw 2

League Table \o/

ROTW people: Should I try to improve the youth recruitment and junior coaching? I haven't tried yet, because while it will give us slightly better youth players the budget for the next players will be smaller.

Doing well, NF. :thdn:

How are we doing financially? Since this directly impacts me next season, I wouldn't really mind. Investment in youth isn't a bad thing. I would say hold out till February 2012 and see where you are and upgrade before the youth intake comes in March.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - October 2011

1/10/2011 - [FA Cup] Ashton Utd 1-5 Colwyn Bay

The injury to Dallas meant that Ceesay would be partnered by O'Neill in our first FA Cup match of the season. We went a goal down in the first fifteen minutes of the match, before the two unleashed their full might upon the Ashton defence. First half hat-trick for Ceesay and a goal for O'Neill. O'Neill wasn't done with scoring yet, and he added his fourth goal in two matches in the 86th minute.

Scorers: Ceesay (3, pen), O'Neill (2)

8/10/2011 - Colwyn Bay 2-1 Guiseley

Lovell managed to score his 7th goal of the season when he was left with a simple finish from a corner in the 4th minute. Little of note happened until the very end of the match, when a Guisely striker managed to lob our keeper. O'Neill didn't appear too happy with only getting a draw and he blasted the ball into the net when Shane Logan placed him one on one with the keeper with a clever ball.

Scorers: Lovell, O'Neill

11/10/2011 - Harrogate 1-5 Colwyn Bay

We started off very strongly and found ourselves up 3-1 after 14 minutes with Steven Birch and Logan scoring their first goals for the club, and Lovell scoring his 8th. Lovell later added his 9th and Ceesay set up James for our fifth.

Scorers: Birch, Lovell (2, missed penalty), Logan, James

15/10/2011 - [FA Cup] Staines 0-0 Colwyn Bay

Bore draw, only thing of note was Logan getting a straight red early on. We play you again in 4 days to settle the tie.

19/10/2011 - [FA Cup] Colwyn Bay 3-1 Staines

Our second derby began with an own goal putting us in front. Ceesay and Duffy did the rest and the game was over by the 22nd minute. Lovell, being the nice person that he is, gave Staines a consolation goal in injury time. Reds on both sides show that both our derbies were treated like serious rival matches.

Scorers: OG, Ceesay, Duffy

22/10/2011 Colwyn Bay 3-1 Corby

A brilliant Ceesay lob gave us the lead and Corby struggled all game long with the chances we created. A penalty was conceded against the run of play and we continued to create chances and missing them. In the second half Andy Meredith scored his first goal for the club and O'Neill finished them off.

Scorers: Ceesay, Meredith, O'Neill

29/10/2011 - [FA Cup] Colwyn Bay 5-2 Maidenhead

Ceesay started strongly again, but the rest of the team didn't and we risked closing the first half with a 1-1 score until Griffiths managed to smash the ball past the keeper. O'Neill extended our lead, but it was soon down to one goal again. Dallas came on in his first appearance since his injury and soon hit a powerful shot where no keeper would have held it and created a second Griffiths goal.

Scorers: Ceesay, Griffiths (2), O'Neill, Dallas

League Table

Played one match less due to FA Cup fixtures, but yeah we were 1st after 14 matches. We're still in the black financially and now have funds to last us a couple of months. I hope we get a good money-spinning draw in the next round of the FA Cup, so that we're set financially for the season. Otherwise I'd like a team we can beat.

Great start for the World's Romanista! :thup:

Thanks!

We've now lost Dallas though, Bromley offered him a contract and the terms he asked us were unreasonable. I probably would have renewed his contract if we didn't have O'Neill, but I feel that we have sufficient cover upfront now. I've gotten an excellent centreback onboard though, so we're still doing well despite a major injury crisis at the back.

Edit: Now Fitzgerald did the same. :mad:

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - November 2011

Made another signing. Andy Barber joins us on a big (£210 p/w) contract, but he's easily our best defender and is rated as a good League 2 player by the scout that found him.

5/11/2011 - Colwyn Bay 3-1 Gloucester

Solid win, though it could have been a much better scoreline. Ceesay was the main culprit of profligacy, but both O'Neill and Rogers scored good goals and Lovell grabbed his tenth of the season with a tap-in from a ball the goalkeeper dropped.

Scorers: O'Neill, Rogers, Lovell

9/11/2011 - Droylsden 1-1 Colwyn Bay

I rested O'Neill and Ceesay in anticipation for the big FA Cup fixture in three days. Dallas seemed to do well, but had to be taken off together with Francis. Droylsden profited from our weakened squad and went on to equalise from a corner.

Scorers: Dallas

12/11/2011 - [FA Cup] Colwyn Bay 0-4 Charlton

They're three levels above us. Was to be expected. We only got £10k from this match though, would've been much higher if it was away.

16/11/2011 - Colwyn Bay 2-1 Eastwood

Dallas' powerful finish before half time and Rogers' headed goal ten minutes after the break put us in a safe position, which we then proceeded to almost blow.

Scorers: Dallas, Rogers

19/11/2011 - Workington 1-2 Colwyn Bay

A brilliant Ceesay cross found James unmarked in the 27th minute. 25 minutes later Meredith profited from the general panic in the Workington penalty box to score a tap-in. A goal from their striker, coupled with defensive injuries (Wright and Lovell join Francis and Paul Jones on the long-term injury list) and general nervousness at the back made for a very tense finale where we luckily escaped unscathed.

Scorers: James, Meredith

26/11/2011 [FA Trophy] Hyde 1-1 Colwyn Bay

A second half O'Neill goal saved us from the shame of going out in the first round we took part in after we conceded very early.

Scorers: O'Neill

30/11/2011 [FA Trophy] Colwyn Bay 3-0 Hyde

Ceesay scored two brilliant goals, dribbling past both their centrebacks after getting two passes from O'Neill, who himself scored in an offside position. The game was pretty much over in the first half, but Griffiths added a screamer from 25 yards to definitely put us through. We face BSP team Stockport in the next round.

Scorers: Ceesay (2), Griffiths

League Table

We're first now and have achieved what the board wanted from both the cups.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - December 2011

I noticed that we were getting a lot of injuries and decided to bring in a physio. Simon Ashton will hopefully be the man that stops most of our first choice defence being out injured at the same time in the future.

3/12/2011 - Hinckley 0-3 Colwyn Bay

We went into this match with the team still exhausted from the game against Hyde. Ceesay was the only one who wasn't tired at all and he proved it by scoring a first half brace. Add to that a goal from Rogers just before half time and it was game over for Hinckley.

Scorers: Ceesay (2), Rogers

10/12/2011 - [FA Trophy] Colwyn Bay 1-2 Stockport

We conceded early, but managed to claw back just before half time. It looked like we would get another replay, until Andy Baxter got his second red card in the 83rd minute. They scored two minutes later and we just couldn't get back into the game.

Scorers: Ceesay

21/12/2011 - Colwyn Bay 4-0 Halifax

1st vs 3rd in the BSN, with Colwyn Bay humiliating their opponents in the second half. O'Neill opened the scoring with good finish, then Pateman added to our lead, Ceesay added another from an O'Neill pass and, finally, a Halifax player scored against his own side.

Scorers: O'Neill, Pateman, Ceesay, OG

26/12/2011 - Blyth 3-3 Colwyn Bay

This game started very well, but ended very badly. In the first 45 minutes we showed our superior ability by going 3-0 up. Then everything changed and they managed to make an epic comeback to end up with a point.

Scorers: Barber (2), OG

28/12/2011 - Nuneaton 0-1 Colwyn Bay

We left it very late, but a headed goal from Rogers gave us a priceless win in this potential title decider against the second placed team.

Scorers: Rogers

31/12/2011 Colwyn Bay 3-5 Histon

Everything was terrible in this match, from our defence to our finishing, but the worst thing is that O'Neill tore his hamstring and is now out for four months.

Scorers: Ceesay, Birch, Barber

League Table

Six points ahead despite some terrible performances during the month, Birch will now need to step his game up in the absence of O'Neill.

The better he does the more pressure on you :D I'm already getting worried and I'm 4th!

I don't mind starting out in the BSP, even tho I hate it (hardest league for me). Just hope Romanista signs someone good so there's less pressure for me. :D

I don't mind starting out in the BSP, even tho I hate it (hardest league for me). Just hope Romanista signs someone good so there's less pressure for me. :D

Do you want Pakistan's starting goalkeeper? We can sign him (unless League 1 team Stevenage make an offer) for £275 p/w, though he is currently angry at me for trying to actually negotiate. He's pretty unreasonable when discussing contracts and has a Temperamental personality, but he's far better than McMahon.

Other than that I'll do well just to keep our current squad together, lots of them are on non-contracts and want big wages to resign. Teams are now starting to take an interest in several of our players. I think the pressure on you may actually be very high. :D

Edit: Just after I post that two BSP teams make offers for Francis. Should I offer him a new contract? Bearing in mind that he's 39 and wants more than £200 p/w.

Archived