Official Euro 2012 - The England Tactic and Team Guide

Yeah definately, but against weaker sides or sides who arnt as strong down the wings Walcott should play, his pace should keep the full backs from pressing forward and if the wingers are relatively weak our full backs should be able to handle them. Against weaker sides he is to defensive, although Id like to see him move in MC to maybe give Parker/Gerrard a rest.

He is just the kind of manager we need, against France with Redknapp we would have been to open and they would have torn us to pieces. Was sat in the pub watching it and most of less knowledable football fans were screaming for us to get more players forward and attack (which Redknapp would have done), which if we did we would have been torn to shreads. I think the real test for Hodgson will come against Sweeden and Ukraine where we are faviourites to win. He has always done well with an underdog team but when he went to Liverpool and they were always faviourites and expected to attack not as much so. Friday and Tuesday will be a much better example of how well we are playing.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Milner is too defensive. I was surprised on Monday not to see him drop in to form a 3 man midfield with Young coming to the right to provide the width but I don't recall that happening. However, Gerrard and Parker didn't have to deal with that much threat in terms of the wingers dropping in or Nasri finding space behind them.

I don't think we'll be favourites for the Ukraine game and I think the Swedish one will be too close to call.

However I think Hodgson likes to keep the shape of the team as players need to be disciplined and stick to their tactical plan. He should use Walcott as a impact sub imo and to stretch defences in a game in the last 30 minsor so.

I think Milner should still play ahead of him as he allows the fullbacks to be attacking. But I think Milner should start on the left and allow Cole to be more adventerous and have Ox on the right. Because going forward Cole is better than Johnson imo and offers more in terms of attacking threat.

Yeah definately, but against weaker sides or sides who arnt as strong down the wings Walcott should play, his pace should keep the full backs from pressing forward and if the wingers are relatively weak our full backs should be able to handle them. Against weaker sides he is to defensive, although Id like to see him move in MC to maybe give Parker/Gerrard a rest.

He is just the kind of manager we need, against France with Redknapp we would have been to open and they would have torn us to pieces. Was sat in the pub watching it and most of less knowledable football fans were screaming for us to get more players forward and attack (which Redknapp would have done), which if we did we would have been torn to shreads. I think the real test for Hodgson will come against Sweeden and Ukraine where we are faviourites to win. He has always done well with an underdog team but when he went to Liverpool and they were always faviourites and expected to attack not as much so. Friday and Tuesday will be a much better example of how well we are playing.

Agree totally with the point on Redknapp. I can't see England winning playing attacking football with the quality of players we have. I rather see 1-0 wins than 4-1 losses. Hopefully England can grind out 1-0 wins in our next two fixtures, that would be good enough :)

I think Milner should still play ahead of him as he allows the fullbacks to be attacking. But I think Milner should start on the left and allow Cole to be more adventerous and have Ox on the right. Because going forward Cole is better than Johnson imo and offers more in terms of attacking threat.

Agreed. Johnson is an excellent attacking full-back, it's a strength we should be exploiting. By playing Milner, it allows more space for Johnson to drive into as otherwise, Walcott would be occupying the same areas Johnson looks to attack.

I don't think we'll be favourites for the Ukraine game and I think the Swedish one will be too close to call.

However I think Hodgson likes to keep the shape of the team as players need to be disciplined and stick to their tactical plan. He should use Walcott as a impact sub imo and to stretch defences in a game in the last 30 minsor so.

Got to agree with Joe here, Milner gives Johnson that cover for his weakness with defensive ability and covers for him when he gets forward. Cole is experienced enough to know when its ok to get forward and when to stay back and keep the shape, putting the inexperienced Ox in front of Johnson would be bad move I think. Although I do agree Cole is much better going forward :)

Agree totally with the point on Redknapp. I can't see England winning playing attacking football with the quality of players we have. I rather see 1-0 wins than 4-1 losses. Hopefully England can grind out 1-0 wins in our next two fixtures, that would be good enough :)

yeah definately, two wins from two games would be excellent. Although I think we will draw one of the two.

Both full-backs are excellent going forward tbh, Cole is better defensively but Johnson is one of the few full-backs with quality to beat a player one on one. They would be vital in our next two games. Would also like to say Parker/Gerrard are immense in this system and MUST stay fit, England do not have quality cover in the squad :(

Now lets not fill the thread with sarcasm shall we not ;)

Isn't that a prerequisite for discussing the English national team?

Enough digression. I'm interested in how Hodgson lines up for the next game. Around the net, the general opinion seems to be that Parker totally lost conditioning. It might just have been a reaction to the extreme heat and humidity, or it might be a real problem. Issue is, if he is struggling, who to play in his stead. With no Barry and Carrick, Henderson seems the only candidate able to do the screening role, unless Hodgson feels he can trust Gerrard. People are talking about Milner, but I'd be concerned with him and Gerrard as the central midfield.

Choice seems to be a less than fit Parker, a less than tested Henderson or an out of position Milner. Not looking good and if I were the Sweden manager, I'd be looking to get something out of that area of the pitch, at least later in the game.

Enough digression. I'm interested in how Hodgson lines up for the next game. Around the net, the general opinion seems to be that Parker totally lost conditioning. It might just have been a reaction to the extreme heat and humidity, or it might be a real problem. Issue is, if he is struggling, who to play in his stead. With no Barry and Carrick, Henderson seems the only candidate able to do the screening role, unless Hodgson feels he can trust Gerrard. People are talking about Milner, but I'd be concerned with him and Gerrard as the central midfield.

Choice seems to be a less than fit Parker, a less than tested Henderson or an out of position Milner. Not looking good and if I were the Sweden manager, I'd be looking to get something out of that area of the pitch, at least later in the game.

I think the Sweden game is realistically out chance to get the 3 points. I cannot see us beating Ukraine but I hope I'm wrong.

Ox can play centre midfield too, do you reckon Hodgson could take a gamble and hope his enthusiasm and work rate does enough along side Gerrard? (that is ofc is Parker cannot play). Personally out of all the midfielders available I'd take the gamble on him because he's enjoying his football and as been biting to go all season. Sometimes I think a players drive can add something to the team that you cannot get any other way.

I think the Sweden game is realistically out chance to get the 3 points. I cannot see us beating Ukraine but I hope I'm wrong.

Ox can play centre midfield too, do you reckon Hodgson could take a gamble and hope his enthusiasm and work rate does enough along side Gerrard? (that is ofc is Parker cannot play). Personally out of all the midfielders available I'd take the gamble on him because he's enjoying his football and as been biting to go all season. Sometimes I think a players drive can add something to the team that you cannot get any other way.

I was going to point out Chamberlain also. He has operated in the middle a few times for Arsenal.

Also, I think Jones is being overlooked as a possibility to fill in in the middle. However, whoever does it, no one will be able to do so in the disciplined and unselfish way Parker does. It's important to use the players strengths rather than trying to get them to perform in a role they aren't comfortable in.

I was going to point out Chamberlain also. He has operated in the middle a few times for Arsenal.

Also, I think Jones is being overlooked as a possibility to fill in in the middle. However, whoever does it, no one will be able to do so in the disciplined and unselfish way Parker does. It's important to use the players strengths rather than trying to get them to perform in a role they aren't comfortable in.

Yups Jones could probably do the cover role well enough but he likes to get forward a bit too much. He probably lacks the discipline needed to be effective imo.

Also Jagielka can play across the whole of midfield, he did it numerous times when he played for us.

I think Chamberlain would be a brave pick. I can see why he was preferred to Downing, but selecting him as the screening midfielder is either inspired or insane. Jones might work, although he'll play Parker if he's recovered and fit.

I think Chamberlain would be a brave pick. I can see why he was preferred to Downing, but selecting him as the screening midfielder is either inspired or insane. Jones might work, although he'll play Parker if he's recovered and fit.

I was thinking more along the lines of Gerrard screening and Chamberlain doing something a bit like the Gerrard role but with his own take on it.

I think Jagielka will be the only one to screen in the disciplined manner that Parker does. Although Gerrard would perhaps do a job.

Chamberlain in the middle would be a big decision by Roy, one I can't see him making, but you never know I guess. He certainly has impressed in the centre beforehand though.

Why can you not see us beating Ukraine? Simply because they have the home advantage?

Well yes maybe it is, always need to try and find a brighter side I suppose ;)

If Parker is unfit it has to be Milner or Jones in my eyes, no other center mids have the defensive ability to play Parkers role as well as he does. gerrard likes getting forward to much, the ox is the same and henderson should not step near the pitch let alone be charged with a very important role in this system. Milner wouldnt be out of position because he has played that role for City and used to play MC for Villa so I think he is the best option, Jones is good defensvely but as mentioned he likes getting forward. Tough decision

I think Jagielka will be the only one to screen in the disciplined manner that Parker does. Although Gerrard would perhaps do a job.

Chamberlain in the middle would be a big decision by Roy, one I can't see him making, but you never know I guess. He certainly has impressed in the centre beforehand though.

But playing Jagielka out of position could be a massive gamble, Jones can do a simmilar job being a center back but has also played that role for United. The Ox is to attacking I think, Gerrard would do the job if asked but I think he would find himself getting to far forward.

If Parker is unfit it has to be Milner or Jones in my eyes, no other center mids have the defensive ability to play Parkers role as well as he does. gerrard likes getting forward to much, the ox is the same and henderson should not step near the pitch let alone be charged with a very important role in this system. Milner wouldnt be out of position because he has played that role for City and used to play MC for Villa so I think he is the best option, Jones is good defensvely but as mentioned he likes getting forward. Tough decision

This is why Michael Carrick or Gareth Barry is a big loss for England.

Jones and Milner both have a tendency to drive forward, something England won't want if they employ a holding midfielder.

I think I'm right in saying Jagielka's played there quite a few times, even for England.

Jagielka played a full season in midfield from us either as a MC or MR. Centreback was always his best position but he couldn't always get in the team as a CB.

He can also play in goal too :D

Why can you not see us beating Ukraine? Simply because they have the home advantage?

Home advantage is huge you only have to look at recent tournaments to see this. However I think Ukraine are a good side and can beat us. I think out of the group Sweden are the weakest link.

This is why Michael Carrick or Gareth Barry is a big loss for England.

I never ever ever thought I would see myself agree with them words :p

Jagielka played a full season in midfield from us either as a MC or MR. Centreback was always his best position but he couldn't always get in the team as a CB.

Well I didnt know that, did he drive forward a lot though or would he do the job?

I thought he had. And I presumed you'd fill me in :)

I can remember him playing in goal. As a Leeds fan, I'm sure I may experience the wonders of Warnock's no substitute keeper plan in the future. If the rumours that he wants to leave are incorrect that is.

Home advantage is huge you only have to look at recent tournaments to see this. However I think Ukraine are a good side and can beat us. I think out of the group Sweden are the weakest link.

See Id say Ukraine are the weakest team. Sweden can beat us on a good day, maybe its just that the only Ukranian player ive ever heard of is Shevchenko ;)

To be honest, there a very few weak links within the tournament. I think that is the beauty of the Euro's, anyone really could win it.

Roy Hodgson would most probably use Henderson if Parker is out, he brought him on in the last game didn't he. If Milner tucks in alongside those 2 we may have enough defensively against Sweden and Ukraine.

The key to our next two games is finding the goals and I am looking forward to seeing how Rooney fits into the system in the Ukraine game!

Roy Hodgson would most probably use Henderson if Parker is out, he brought him on in the last game didn't he. If Milner tucks in alongside those 2 we may have enough defensively against Sweden and Ukraine.

The key to our next two games is finding the goals and I am looking forward to seeing how Rooney fits into the system in the Ukraine game!

As I mentioned in the OP I think he will slot Rooney in to Youngs positions push Young out on to the left and after the France game I would play The Ox MR, or even MC if players need a rest :)

I agree Sweden played very poorly the first game, but to say that they are the weakest link in group D is, to me, a little extreme. Sweden has historically, for example, played exactly even against England with 6 wins, 9 draws and 6 losses. I'm Swedish, so I'm about as objective as you all, but as I see it, group D is a very close one where all teams have a good chance against eachother. So with a new coach, tons of injuries and Rooney's ban, if England qualifies from group D, you should really consider it a successful campaign - regardless of the outcome in the knockout phase.

I agree Sweden played very poorly the first game, but to say that they are the weakest link in group D is, to me, a little extreme. Sweden has historically, for example, played exactly even against England with 6 wins, 9 draws and 6 losses. I'm Swedish, so I'm about as objective as you all, but as I see it, group D is a very close one where all teams have a good chance against eachother. So with a new coach, tons of injuries and Rooney's ban, if England qualifies from group D, you should really consider it a successful campaign - regardless of the outcome in the knockout phase.

The reason why I think you are the weakest link is you don't have points on the board yet. You have to go out in the next 2 games to win them. Ukraine don't. They just have to play not to lose which can make things a lot trickier for us. The game against you, you'll attack us and leave space for counters as you'll be going for a winner. Ukraine if they want can sit deep and have 10 men back nehind the ball.

My point being, Sweden been cautious will see them been knocked out as you have to take 4 points minimum from the next 2 games to have a chance of going through.

I think getting out of the group would be a good feat all things considering.

I see where you are coming from. Tbh I only see France winning their matches by more than a goal, the rest of the matches in the group will be very close.

Completely agree with the last few points here. Also when you put it like that Cleon I do agree Ukraine is the harder of the two games, as you mentioned with the home support and the ability to not NEED a win will make it a tricker game. Although if they get beat off France and we beat Sweden they would need to beat us to go through. So it all depends on Fridays result I think, it would be better for us if they came at us and attacked as we are setup to play a counter attacking game. You never know we could batter both teams because they keep throwing men forward to get the goal they need and we keep countering them. Another reason why Walcott should start, for his pace.

Thats why its such an excellent draw with France, as you said France should win their games by more than one goal, and I can only see us winning by one maybe two at a stretch so really that leaves us second in the group. Spain here we come, although football can be a funny old game.

Football is definitely a funny game. Who knows, Spain may not even top their group, Italy looked impressive with their new 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 formation. And even if we do meet the defending champions, we stand a good chance with the contrasting styles of play. #optimistic

The reason why I think you are the weakest link is you don't have points on the board yet. You have to go out in the next 2 games to win them. Ukraine don't. They just have to play not to lose which can make things a lot trickier for us. The game against you, you'll attack us and leave space for counters as you'll be going for a winner. Ukraine if they want can sit deep and have 10 men back nehind the ball.

My point being, Sweden been cautious will see them been knocked out as you have to take 4 points minimum from the next 2 games to have a chance of going through.

I think getting out of the group would be a good feat all things considering.

Fair point, although having looked at the Swedish national team for many years and with the defensive mentality that the former manager Lars Lagerbäck ingrained on them, I have a hard time imagining them ever playing fast and loose as it were. :) It's true, though, that Hamrén wants the team to dictate play more now, so maybe they try to do that. In that case, I'd definately put my money on England since they seem to be inclined to a counter attacking style under Hodgson.

Football is definitely a funny game. Who knows, Spain may not even top their group, Italy looked impressive with their new 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 formation. And even if we do meet the defending champions, we stand a good chance with the contrasting styles of play. #optimistic

I would much prefer to play Spain, as you said the contrast in styles will work in our favour I think. As proven by Chelsea in the champs league :)

I was thinking more along the lines of Gerrard screening and Chamberlain doing something a bit like the Gerrard role but with his own take on it.

I think it is equally risky to rely on Gerard to screen / hold. Although he's got the technical ability to do it, I'd be concerned about his tactical discipline against teams he feels are less than high class. Although, if anyone can drill it into him, I suspect it will be Hodgson.

Speaking of Gerard, it'll be interesting to see how he fares against Sweden and Ukraine as I felt he was a bit sloppy in his defensive positioning at times against France. In the France game, he sort of got away with it, but against Ukraine and Sweden who both try to play with a "traditional #10", he probably needs to be a bit more careful.

A lot of people might laught at this but;

I believe England can follow the Germany blueprint and in the next 4 years (if they allow Hodgson the time) we can start playing a simliar style. Especially if the likes of Cleverley, Wilshire, Ox, Jones, Walker, Barkley, Rodwell etc all make the step up and become regulars when fit. When I see England play I can see a lot of Germany about then with the right guidance. Germany went through a transition period in the last 4 years and its paying off well.

I honestly see up doing a simliar thing. I'm not saying we'll be as good at it as the Germans but I can see us playing a very simliar way.

I don't think Roy Hodgson has the ability to get his team playing with that much flair tbh, his teams have always been based on strong defensive shapes and being hard to beat. We need to revamp the whole youth system to improve the quality of players coming through and get a manager who can get us playing.

I don't think Roy Hodgson has the ability to get his team playing with that much flair tbh, his teams have always been based on strong defensive shapes and being hard to beat. We need to revamp the whole youth system to improve the quality of players coming through and get a manager who can get us playing.

Hodgson has never really been in charge of a team able to play with flair in what I have seen in the last decade or so. Fulham and West Brom were hardly blessed with high quality technical players so he had to work with what he got. If those players mentioned come through into the England side, which they probably will, there would be no reason why Hodgson wouldn't implement such a system. And Cleon's talking 4 years down the line here, it's not guaranteed he'll still be in charge.

Plus Germany are still a very strong side who can be very difficult to break down. It is their front 4 of Ozil, Podolski, Gomez and Muller that provide the flair while Schweinsteiger and Khedira sit slightly deeper and distribute the ball. One of the two central midfielders tends to drift forward but never both, there will always be a sturdy base in case there is a counter-attack.

He might not have had technical sides but he's dealt with the odd technical player and got the best out of them. Clint Dempsey springs to mind...

I think your exactly right Cleon with trying to follow the Germany blueprint. Although I think at the Brazil World cup we need to completely get rid of the "golden generation" and give the yougnsters a real chance. Like Germany have been doing for years. That gives the youngsters valuable tournament experience and will get them used to playing together. The odd experienced head thrown in there Rooney and Hart spring to mind and should have a good platform to build on.

I believe England can follow the Germany blueprint and in the next 4 years (if they allow Hodgson the time) we can start playing a simliar style. Especially if the likes of Cleverley, Wilshire, Ox, Jones, Walker, Barkley, Rodwell etc all make the step up and become regulars when fit. When I see England play I can see a lot of Germany about then with the right guidance. Germany went through a transition period in the last 4 years and its paying off well.

I honestly see up doing a simliar thing. I'm not saying we'll be as good at it as the Germans but I can see us playing a very simliar way.

Those players you have mentioned, baring injury, all have a great chance to become as good as their German counterparts. However, I word of caution.

We have an awful habit, and I know it has been said before, of building up young talented players and then knocking them down as soon as the chance arrives. Media, and fans, are responsible for this. I remember just before the world cup in Korea in 2002 Owen Hargreaves being given so much stick from some parts of the media and fans as they thought he wasn't good enough. For all Hargreaves injury problems he was mentally very strong and the critisism just seemed to spur him on and he became one of England's better players at the tournament.

If we go down that route of just bringing in the youngsters, and I for one think we should, we have to allow them time. We have to be prepared that we may not do well at the next world cup, we might not even qualify. But we have to resist the temptation to damage mentally those players by heaping negativity and pressure on them. We need to give them time to find their feet and develop themselves.

I remember reading some years back Shane Warne's autobiography (or it may have just been a biography of him - not sure now), but he said back when Australia used to dominate England at cricket he felt that there wasn't that much difference between the two sides in ability. He said the main difference came from the Australian players having been given the confidence to go out and perform without fear of repocussions should they have an off day. He said that mentally England would go out to perform to their best, give it a good go and hope to win. Australia would step onto the pitch knowing they were going to win.

Those players you have mentioned, baring injury, all have a great chance to become as good as their German counterparts. However, I word of caution.

We have an awful habit, and I know it has been said before, of building up young talented players and then knocking them down as soon as the chance arrives. Media, and fans, are responsible for this. I remember just before the world cup in Korea in 2002 Owen Hargreaves being given so much stick from some parts of the media and fans as they thought he wasn't good enough. For all Hargreaves injury problems he was mentally very strong and the critisism just seemed to spur him on and he became one of England's better players at the tournament.

If we go down that route of just bringing in the youngsters, and I for one think we should, we have to allow them time. We have to be prepared that we may not do well at the next world cup, we might not even qualify. But we have to resist the temptation to damage mentally those players by heaping negativity and pressure on them. We need to give them time to find their feet and develop themselves.

I remember reading some years back Shane Warne's autobiography (or it may have just been a biography of him - not sure now), but he said back when Australia used to dominate England at cricket he felt that there wasn't that much difference between the two sides in ability. He said the main difference came from the Australian players having been given the confidence to go out and perform without fear of repocussions should they have an off day. He said that mentally England would go out to perform to their best, give it a good go and hope to win. Australia would step onto the pitch knowing they were going to win.

Exactly right. The one thing that always lets England down is hte pressure we put on teams. if we were a lot more relaxed we would do a lot better, that result against France is excellent and I can almost guarantee the lack of pressur eon the players had some sort of effect to help them torward that game. Its just as soon as we start doing well back comes the pressure.

Possible, and i hope so............but it wont happen with Hodgson in charge, his teams playfar too defensive, plays too deep, narrow and dont keep possession and attack enough.

Of course being a Liverpool supporter i may be rather biased in my Hodgson opinion. I dont like him and his football "style".

Bingo, it doesn't matter what sport you play when you reach that level there is very very little between players apart from the top two inches

To be honest, mentally we appear a lot weaker than the elite sides in international football. That was proven with all our previous penalty losses. Even Lampard, who puts away 90%++ of his penalties in club football, missed in the shoot-out against Portugal. Gerrard too. This was also evident before the France game while the players were preparing to emerge from the tunnel. All the English players, especially Gerrard, looked nervous while in comparison, the French players were wearing smiles on their faces and joking around. This is largely due to the English press imo and I hope we can overcome these problems this time round with the expectations lowered.

To be honest, mentally we appear a lot weaker than the elite sides in international football. That was proven with all our previous penalty losses. Even Lampard, who puts away 90%++ of his penalties in club football, missed in the shoot-out against Portugal. Gerrard too. This was also evident before the France game while the players were preparing to emerge from the tunnel. All the English players, especially Gerrard, looked nervous while in comparison, the French players were wearing smiles on their faces and joking around. This is largely due to the English press imo and I hope we can overcome these problems this time round with the expectations lowered.

The problem is though the media will never stop bigging them up. I can imagine if America had the same level of success as we had in the past, and had been instrumental in the inception of football there media would be the same. Simply as they think they SHOULD be the best and anything less is awful. Thats where the problems are, its to routed into the ENglish way to always expect loads. I think the best thing for us would be to go out at the grou stages and not make the quarters. That way in World Cup all young players can be brought in with no expectation at all, the best way I think. LOok at Spain a few years back, they were exactly the same as us.

I think it favours England to play better opposition. I cannot see them breaking down lesser teams with any imagination. They have no central midfield Parker is workman like, Gerrard was fantastic when he was at his physical prime but he was never an intelligent player and now his physical engine is running low. Scholes was Englands best player and retired far too early for whatever reason. Rooney will help of course but he can't do it all himself

England don't keep the ball well enough to trouble any of the really top teams. I think Hodgsons tactics are spot on with what he has though. No point playing pretty possession stuff if you don't have the players. Counter attack/Set pieces and work really hard.

Archived