• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - December 2014 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

darlingtonfixturesfixtu.png

bluesquarebetpremierove.png

A very, very good end to the month after a shakey start saw us settle nicely in 3rd place in the league, just 6pts off Fleetwood & Northampton, giving me a lot more confidence going forward. The standout game was our win over Barnet in one of those typical amazing first half, frustrating 2nd half performances. I was still really pleased with the 3pts though. The month was capped off nicely with Jordan Mustoe receiving the Player of the Month award and myself finishing 2nd to Paul Sturrock in the Manager of the Month award.

FA Trophy

So our First Round draw was anything but easy as we were made to battle for victory over Corby to set up a 2nd Round tie against York, yet again in a cup competition.

Could make a push for the title with a strong 2nd half of the season.
Probably can and all.

Fingers crossed. Started January with a 4-0 win over Barrow so we're on a nice run of form which I have probably jynxed now :lol:.

Shhhhh don't you know about the forum curse?! :eek:

I posted that just before I played Gateshead, which you will see in the next update ;).

Really strong position to be in at the half way stage :thup:
You are doing really well, keep it up:)

Cheers lads.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - January 2015 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

darlingtonfixturesfixtuz.png

A really solid month for us with just one defeat. We performed admiraly away to Lincoln, but going down to 10 men, losing a man through injury and also 3 other players receiving knocks finally took its tole on the lads. We would be much, much closer to Northampton, but they're are on a fantastic run of losing just once in 12 games so they will be tough to catch.

FA Trophy

A really hard fought win over York just 3 days after the defeat to Lincoln, so the lads legs were jaded. The victory ensured that we moved into the 3rd Round and set up a tie against another local side, Gateshead.

Looking like the playoffs unless you can manage a really good push.

Im half resigning myself to the play-offs, but we still have Northampton and Fleetwood at home and they have to go to Fleetwood as well so if all goes our way then you never know. I will retain hope though.

Well, Playoffs isnt bad! You still get to fight for a chance at promotion - it all depends on how Northampton do in the final stretch, though.
Just read through this!

A decent stint in Turkey and this season with Darlington looks like another playoff spot, hopefully this time you'll get promoted.

Good read. Just got myself out of this League with Stockport with vey simialr finances.

Im sure you can reach your goals this season!

Cheers lads :thup:.

Im currently 5 or 6pts behind Northampton now after 31 games and sit in 3rd place still (Im at work so not 100% sure). I have Fleetwood next who are 1pt ahead of me and Northampton to play 4 games from the end of the season.

I would feel a lot more comfortable in the play-off's this season than last. It seems like everyone has gelled nicely and they suit the formation, so I am quietly optomistic.

blue20square20premier.jpg

Friday 20th February 2015

stevenlongstaffnewsinbo.png

In what will prove to be a tense affair at the top of the Blue Square Premier, Darlington travel to Highbury to face over-performing Fleetwood as both teams look to keep up the pressure on Northampton. Darlington's away form has been average over the course of the season, whilst Fleetwood's home form is second only to Darlington in the league. With Northampton playing at home to York, both sides will see this as a must win game if they are to have any chance of challenging Northampton in the run-in for the league title.

What ever the outcome, we should be in store for an excellent tie between to teams flying high this season.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - February 2015 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

A pretty average month which leaves us off the pace that Northampton have set and will most likely mean that we have to settle for a play-off spot. The results away to Morcambe and Fleetwood wernt exactly bad results, but we needed to win them if we were to stay in touch with Northampton. A draw away to part-timers Dover was especially dissappointing. Our run-in isnt to bad so hopefully we should be able to finish strong.

FA Trophy

Our FA Trophy journey continues (although not exactly how I truely would like. We deserved a victory away to Gateshead which set up a 4th Round (Quater Final) tie at Hayes & Yeading. We were pretty average, but probably could have nicked a late winner. Should we win that, we will set up a two-legged tie against Fleetwood in the Semi-Final, with the winner facing either Northampton or Forest Green. Looks like a 'big boys' Final. With his goal against Hayes & Yeading, Jordan Thewlis set a new record for a seasonal landmark of goals.

Any of those going straight into the first team squad?

I might consider given Peter Bell a few substitute appearences in midfield as a BWM and Daryl Parker might be my back-up GK due to the fall-out I have had with Jonothan Henley.

Bell looks a decent prospect for the level the club are currently at. GL on the final stretch. If you beat Northampton at home could be quite close at the top

I cant remember exactly how many games I have played in March, but I have moved up to 2nd place in the league following a 2-1 win over Crewe, and Northampton, much to my suprise lost 2-1 away to struggling Woking. They sit on 79pts, me on 72pts and if I beat them at my place the gap witll be 4pts, with them still having to play Fleetwood as well. Squeeky bum time :).

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - March 2015 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

bluesquarebetpremieroved.png

A very good month for us in what was a congested month fixture wise. Our players are exhausted thanks to the fast coming games, but we got through them and closed the gap on Northampton to 5pts. The only sore point was the draw with Kidderminster, but I suppose we made up for that with really late wins over Forest Green and then Hayes & Yeading.

The month was capped off nicely with me winning the Manager of the Month award. The game against also saw me take charge of my 100th game in charge of Darlington and Jordan Mustoe breaking the clubs record for most assists in a season. Our run-in is going ot be very tense with the game at home to Northampton being crucial to both sides.

FA Trophy

Thanks to our drab draw away to Hayes & Yeading meant we had the hassle of a reply which we came through comprehensively. That set up a Semi-Final tie against Fleetwood. In a pretty even first leg, the return leg was one to remember. In the return leg, we flew out the traps and after 19 minutes it looked like the game was sealed, but how wrong was I. They grabbed a goal back just before half time. I warned the lads about complacency at half time but it didnt do the job, and they scored to take the tie to extra time. In what was an even period, Lewis Young grabbed what turned out to be the winner to set up the Final against Northampton follwing their extra time win over Forest Green.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - April 2015 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

An average end to the season which saw us finish 2nd on a very good 91pts. Im really pleased with how we have performed throughout the season so I shouldnt complain to much. The draw with Northampton pretty much sealed both our faits, as we remained 5pts behind the leaders, and out 3-2 defeat away to 10 man Barnet saw Northampton clinch the title.

fatrophylogo.jpg

How We Got Here

Darlington FC

darlingtonfixturesfixtuf.png

Northampton Town FC

northamptontownfixtures.png

FINAL

darlingtonvnorthamptoni.png

So for the 2nd year in a row we lose in the Final of the FA Trophy to the side who won the league. I really felt we stood a chance but it just wasnt to be and we once again fell at the final hurdle. After an even first half, James O'Shea gave Northampton the lead after 61 minutes with a strike from the edge of the area. Northampton then soaked up the pressure and aimed to hit us on the counter, but in the final 10 minutes we were all over them and Lewis Young had a glorious chance from 6 yards out in the 89th minute. A fantastic ball into the box from Alex Butterfield fell straight onto his head but it sailed over. Once this happened, I knew it wasnt out day.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - The Play-Offs - Darlington FC

Following a successful league campaign in which we broke the 90pt barrier but yet still found ourselves finishing 2nd to Northampton. This meant we were drawn against Crewe in the Semi-Final.

Following a tense 1st leg in which we saw our main defender Jeff Henderson wrongly sent off in the first half, we had an uphill climb. They scored two quickfire goals and I feared the worst, but a slice of luck late on gave us hope for the return leg. Back at the Darlington Arena we set a record high gate receipts as the fans 'flocked' to see if we could overturn the 1st leg defeat and move into the Final....and thats just what we did. Thanks to goals from Dossevi & Langmead, we marched into the Final of the play-offs.

The Final drew us against Fleetwood whom we had recentley beat over two legs in the FA Trophy Semi-Final.

fleetwoodvdarlingtoninf.png

Yessssssssssssssssssssss!!!! Im absolutely delighted. We have won promotion via the play-offs in what has turned out to be my 4th play-off experience in my 4 years in management. The lads played fantastic in the Final and we thoroughly deserve our spot back in League 2.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Review - 2014/15 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier - Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 (2nd - Won the Play-offs)

What an excellent season we had. Our form was that of title winning form, but sadly we had a very good Northampton side to contend with. We stood every chance of winning the league going into the final stretch of games and if we had beaten Northampton we would have sat 2pts behind them with 4 games to go. In the end, we settled for the play-offs which for my 3 years in management (2yrs in Turkey, 1yr in England) I had reached the play-offs on each occassion but failed to win promotion. This time however was different. We battled past Crewe without our captain, top goalscorer and main centre half (all 3 were missing for the play-offs and FA Trophy) and deservingly beat Fleetwood in the Final to get us back into the Football League.

FA Cup (Lost in 2nd Round)

We certainly do love replays in the FA Cup. We played poor at home to York, but battered them away from home before beating higher level opposition in Wallsall to set up a 2nd Round tie at home to Aldershot. We were dominated however and exited a round further than last season. Still no glamour tie for me.

FA Trophy (Lost in Final..........again)

That right, again. For the 2nd season in a row we lost in the FA Trophy Final to the side who had won the league. I was a lot more confident in this years Final as we had been on good form all season and it felt like my side rather than the previous managers. We had some good results on our way to setting up a Final against Northampton, but once again it wasnt to be as they beat us 1-0.

Transfers - Finances

A lot of transfer activity this season but it was needed, and the players brought in played a vital part in our promotion.

The finances are looking a lot better. Our two trips to Wembley in a year have certainly helped but there is still a lot of work to do.

Squad

Our top scorer Jordan Thewlis missed the last 6 weeks of the season through injury. If he wasnt then who knows what could have happened. Instead, we saw improved performances by 36yo Thomas Dossevi and Bradley Bubb who increased their goals tally. Jeff Henderson was key at the back and without him in the side we didnt look the same. New captain Matthew Saunders had great influence on the side.

My Top 3 Players

Alex Butterfield - His first full season in the first team and he is turning into a key player. Always manages to find himself in goalscoring positions and a pretty good return.

Jordan Mustoe - Brought in on a free transfer at the start of the season and what a player. 20 assists from the left wing and one of my best buys in my career.

Jordan Thewlis - Back at the club for a second spell on loan, and despite missing the end of the season through injury he was still my top scorer. I will definately be looking to bring him back to the club next season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | Team | League | Country | League Position | Notes |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 5th | Play-Off Quater Finalists |
| 2012/13 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 3rd | Play-Off Semi Finalists |
| 2013/14 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 4th | Play-Off Semi Finalists, FA Trophy Runners-Up, |
Appointed in October |
| 2014/15 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 2nd | Promoted via Play-Offs, FA Trophy Runners-Up |[/Code]

[size=3][b]Next Season?[/b][/size]

Well I have 1 year left on my contract and unless a job offer from a club in a higher league comes in, I plan to see it out. What happens after than I am unsure, but I think there is 1 more year left for me at Darlington and then it may be time to to move on.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Preview - 2015/16 - Darlington FC

Board Expectations:

League Two:- Mid-table finish

FA Cup:- Reach the 2nd Round

Johnstones Paint Trophy:- Reach the 2nd Round

League Cup:- Enjoy the experience

My Expectations:

League Two:- I would be happy enough to achieve a mid-table finish then leave with the foundations set for the next manager...but our pre-season odds.

FA Cup:- Im still craving that money spinning tie away to one of the big boys.

Johnstones Paint Trophy:- If I can reach the Northern Final that would equal a remarkable achievement.

League Cup:- Go as far as I possibly can.

Budgets:

Transfer:- £0 (With room for movement)

Wage:- £18,941 (Currently spending £16,501)

Balance:- -£306,050k (+£211,789k since last season)

Squad:

Still thin, but its only pre-season and I am in talks with numerous players. The main areas which need strengthening are in central defence, central midfield and upfront. If I get all the players I am in talks with I will be a very happy man.

Key Player(s):

Dave O'Loughlin - Has been my number one since my arrival which caused a bit of debate last season, but he is key to my success and had a fantastic season last term.

Jordan Mustoe - Quality player, and if he can supply anywhere near the amount of assists he did last season we will be laughing.

Jeff Henderson - He was sorely missed when injured last season and is such a vital member to my side. If fit, he has the level of influence what Ledley King has had at Spurs in recent years.

Best of luck to you! May well be worth trying to get a couple of loans in if you can.

Got a few in. The squad is almost there and I will post my transfers with a pre-season update :thup:.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Pre-Season - 2015/16 - Darlington FC

Friendlies

Well I dont think I will be doing any complaining fast ha. A perfect pre-season, and although it means nothing in terms of league positions, we got through with no injuries and confidence is sky high. We also made £120k profit in pre-season off gate receipts alone so I am absolutely delighted.

Transfers

darlingtontransfershist.png

Another pre-season, another mass amount of transfer activity. I couldnt bring Jordan Thewlis back to the club. Apparantley he has no intention of returning and I quickly dropped off his favoured club list. I did bring in some bright, young talents with the stand-out signings being:

Andy Sandell - Had him on loan for the 2nd half of the season last term and he was fantastic so I jumped at the chance to sign him on a free.

Mark Ellis - Quality centre half. Could take the burden off the importance I have on Jeff Henderson at the back.

Ismail Albayrak - A fantastic looking signing. My only problem is if he doesnt settle in England.

Filipe Carvalhinho - Will most likely lead the line for us this season. A lot of pressure could fall onto his young shoulders, but hopefully he will have the impact that Thewlis did for us.

Archived