The Hitch hiker's guide to FM12

B.W.G

Cup winners get a Champions League spot! I'm liking the sound of that :D

Well played to SI then,the MLS do the same in game.The US Open Cup semi finals are Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs Richmond Kickers and Colorado vs Minnesota Stars.As for Red Bulls,they reap what they sow,I can't stand sides who would actually put out the equivalent to a C team in the cup but that's more down to me liking cup competitions.

Quite agreed.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cup winners get a Champions League spot! I'm liking the sound of that :D

Well played to SI then,the MLS do the same in game.The US Open Cup semi finals are Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs Richmond Kickers and Colorado vs Minnesota Stars.As for Red Bulls,they reap what they sow,I can't stand sides who would actually put out the equivalent to a C team in the cup but that's more down to me liking cup competitions.

Yeah, the US representatives in the Champions League are typically (this isn't a set rule, but it's who they've sent)

1. MLS Cup winner

2. MLS Cup runner-up

3. Supporters Shield winner

4. US Open Cup winner

If there is an unfilled slot (because one of the Canadian teams reached the MLS Cup final or won the Supporters Shield, or because a team has 2 ways into the Champions League), then the next best team in the overall table gets in.

The Canadians only get 1 spot in the Champions League, and they determine that through the Canadian Championship competition (basically a 4-team knockout)

Jason the Yank - Least I know I'm guaranteed a spot now :p Also thanks for the info on the MLS as it's my first time playing it :)

jackripper - He was a free transfer,I wasn't even interested in him till his agent came to us :D

2024 Transfers - Had very little to work with when I took over so I bought in a lot of players to fill the team out.Most of the players with exception to Gernot Trauner are youngsters who have a bright future at the club and will all become leading MLS players according to my assistant manager.Daniel Williams is the only incoming player that I had to do with.As for the outgoings,the only players I let leave were the players who were waivered on the 7/3/24 as I didn't need them and did not have the quality to become anything decent in the future.This will be my busiest transfer activity at the club as we don't really need any more players,another 4 players should see us have the perfect team.

Competitions

MLS - League Table - Western Semi-Final - Western Final - MLS Cup - Overall,it was a very good season even I do think we could have performed much better then we did.At times we were brilliant then at other times we looked lost and showed complacency.We could have easily gone the season unbeaten but didn't perform to their best.Although in the Western Conference Semi-Final and Final we showed why we were the best in the West as our defence was brilliant and we showed how we can finish our chances to end up the winners of the Western Conference Final.The MLS Cup bought out what was probably one of our worst performances during the season,we raced to a 3-0 lead before Columbus pulled it back to 3-2.We did get a 4th goal but again Columbus got another and made it a nervy finish during injury time.Stuck a rocket up the player's asses after that game was over!

US Open Cup - Winners - I didn't play a single MLS team in the competition,sounds like an easy run doesn't it?It was anything but easy,these so called lower league knocked out all the other MLS teams to the point where we were the only MLS team in the semi-finals!We beat Rochester Rhinos 2-0 in the 3rd round,eased past Atlanta Silverbacks 4-1 in the quarter finals.We beat Minnesota 3-0 in the semi-finals,in reality it was much closer then the score suggested but we just finished better.The final on the other hand was a nervy affair which I have to be honest,Richmond were probably the better team but even so we were the better finishers as we took a 3 goal lead before complacency in the last 30 mins nearly cost us.

Players,Stats and Awards

Quick look at the http://i770.photoOverall Squad Stats.

Lucas was the clubs top scorer hitting 26 goals as well as providing 14 assists in 43 appearances.Not bad for the number two striker but he will face some serious competition from the incoming Muniain next season.

Freddy Adu topped the assist chart with 17 assists,he also scored 5 goals in 35 appearances so not shabby for a 35 year old!He maybe coming up for retirement from playing in the next couple of years but he can still get among the awards,he picked up Humanitarian of the Year.

Wilfredo Arroyo won the Fair Play Award.To be fair,I am actually quite astounded,he received no cards in 42 appearances for the club and nor did he receive any cards in his 4 international appearances.This is certainly a record for me,he also had a very good season scoring 9 goals and providing 14 assists.

Fernando Frontini won Fans Player of the Year.He was brilliant for most of the season and this was proved with 24 goals and 13 assists he contributed throughout the season.Scary thing is that he could do even better so next season will certainly be interesting for him.

Colorado were awarded the Supporters Shield!

Overview

My first season in the United States saw us win the Western Conference,MLS Cup and the US Open Cup as well as crash out of the Champions League in the Semi-Final so it wasn't too bad a first season for me!I feel I have been helped by my previous scouting of South America when I was managing Sao Paulo as that allowed us to get quality players for dirt cheap in from Bolivia and Peru.We still have a pretty young squad as we have an average age of 23 years old so there is still room to grow in most of the players so the key will be to keep the players together to make next season a bit easier.

We won't be competing in the Champions League for the 2024/25 season due to failing to qualify in 2023 so we won't have a continental game till September 2025 when we will go into the group stages.The earliest I will be leaving is 2026 as that will be the earliest year we could win the Champions League but it's still a long way off and things can change.We will have a good squad next season and have bought in a bit of experience by signing Iker Muniain and have identified the weaknesses in the team which I will be looking to solve.

Season     Club         Division       Country      League       Cup       Continental    Avg.Att            Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12  Persepam    Prem Division    Indonesia      2nd       1st Rnd        N/A           739            Promotion!
2012/13  Persepam    Super League     Indonesia      4th       4th Rnd        N/A          1400           Top 4 Finish!
2013/14  Dag + Red    BSB Premier      England       4th       2nd Rnd        N/A          2040        Started Oct,Promoted!
2014/15  Dag + Red     League 2        England       8th       6th Rnd        N/A          3742          FA Cup Last 8
2015/16  Dag + Red     League 2        England       1st       6th Rnd        N/A          3778            Promotion!
2016/17  Dag + Red     League 1        England       4th       4th Rnd        N/A          5828          Playoff Winners!
2017/18  RB Leipzig  3.fußball liga    Germany       1st         N/A          N/A          7899            Promotion!
2018/19  RB Leipzig   2.Bundesliga     Germany       1st       1st Rnd        N/A          13209        Title + Promotion!
2019/20  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       3rd      RUNNER-UP       N/A          21573        CL Qualification!
2020/21  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       2nd       WINNERS       GS/RU         27012        DFB-POKAL winners!
2021/22  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       1st       WINNERS      WINNERS        36664           Won Treble!
2022     Sao Paulo      Serie A        Brazil        1st         N/A         Group         58710           Won Double!
2023     Sao Paulo      Serie A        Brazil        1st         N/A        WINNERS        57771          Clean Sweep!
2024     Colorado         MLS          U.S.A        1st/WIN    WINNERS       Semis         17595           Won Double!

Most of the teams were only willing to trade players for draft picks which I didn't really need but still need a DL and have seen a really good Striker I like so maybe see if teams are interested in a player exchange.

Due to university,I've always done reports/assignments in that sort of layout.I decided to change it as I wanted to give it a fresh look and also put bit more detail into each report.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/images-1.jpg[/img]"]images-1.jpg

Colorado Rapids - Pre-Season - 2025

Club Overview - Finances - Board Overview - Competition Expectations

The Team

Pre-season Transfers

A bit more action in the transfer window then I originally anticipated,six came in and six went out and two players were on each list as I thought I'd take a random on the supplementary draft,needless to say I won't be doing that again.The first two came in from the main draft who definitely have a future at the club,everybody already knew about Muniain coming in and Tai Bang was Vancouver's best player by a mile so I got the better end of the exchange.I have no regrets about the players leaving as they were not really going to make the cut.

Team Report - Squad and Tactics

Moez Nafti - GK

Signed on a free transfer after his agent offered him to the club,would have been a very stupid move not to sign him.Took a bit of time to settle in but when he did,he was very good.Conceded 37 goals in 37 appearances but did keep 13 clean sheets,has a better defence in front of him this season so I am expecting the number conceded to be much lower.

Tang Bai - DLC

A new signing on a part exchange,I did say he was Vancouver's best player by a mile.He is an unusual hybrid as he is a Canadian-American-Chinese person.He is stronger at centre back but due to me having good options in that positon,Tang Bai will be playing at left back.I can't judge on pre-season form as he wasn't challenged enough.

Abdiel Lopez - MC

I decided to throw him in the deep end last season and he just about managed to swim.This season,he is a much better player and has been capped by the national team so his performances have been rewarded.He is the 2nd best MC in the team but if he carries on the way he is doing then it is only a matter of time before he is first choice.He averaged at 6.87 from 22 appearances last season,I am hoping he will be around the 7.00 mark this season.

Fernando Frontini - ST/AMC

Regarded as the number one striker according to the assistant manager,he finished the season with 24 goals and 13 assists which is a very good return for a striker.This season,he should be better as he does have a stronger team around him,I will be looking for him to push the 30 goal barrier as this will definitely be possible.He can be temperamental at times but when he plays to his best,he is pretty much unstoppable.

Pre-Season Fixtures

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/ColoradoRapidsFixtures_Fixtures-1.png[/img]"]ColoradoRapidsFixtures_Fixtures-1.png

Not going to make any judgement on pre-season fixtures as I left the assistant manager in charge,we won all them fairly convincingly so that leaves me with the question of do I leave him in charge for the Cup games as every time I'm in charge against similar teams,we make hard work of them!

Overview

Not really much to say as all I am looking to do is retain the competitions we won last season,we have strengthened where necessary so I feel it will be achievable.It's quite disappointing that we only have domestic competitions to concentrate on till September,hopefully there will be a big gap by then so we give some of the less experienced members some game time as we will start the Champions League in Septmeber.Won't be moving from Colorado till at least the end of 2026 even if my contract does end 2027.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Having quite a successful season even if the games are amounting up due to international call ups.Hopefully will have the mid-season update no later then tomorrow.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/images-1.jpg[/img]"]images-1.jpg

Colorado Rapids - Mid-Season - 2025

Competitions

MLS

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-2.png[/img]"]MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-2.png

CONCACAF Champions League

Only the preliminaries have been drawn and we enter in later then that.I will be aiming for the semi-finals as my lower expectations,ideally I would like to win it.

US Open Cup

Not done too bad in the Cup,we beat FC Tampa Bay 3-1 in the third round before edging past Columbus Crew 1-0 in the Quarter Finals.We will face Charleston Battery in the Semi-Final,there is the potential for a all MLS tie in the final as Seattle Sounders face Fort Lauderdale Strikers in the other Semi-Final.

Overview

Our form has been nothing short of scary as we do not really deserve to have gone unbeaten so far this season.We really should have been beat by Vancouver twice,Seattle and Columbus so we have definitely had luck on our side.Other then that,I am pleased with how things have gone as we are topping the Western Conference even though we have up to four games in hands on some teams.Happy with the cup run,I feel we can retain the cup if we play to our fullest.Champions League starts soon and I feel that we are probably one of the strongest teams in it so I am expecting us to reach the latter stages and maybe even possibly win it.

SRL88 - You can add another 10 points from 4 games to the tally.The one game we dropped points is one of those where better finishing would have won the game...we drew 0-0.

abulezz - That's true :D The team have started living up to it's position in the last few games,won 4-0,3-1,4-0 then drew 0-0 in a game where we couldn't finish properly.

duffy89 - Thanks for reading,hope you've enjoyed it :D

Looking at my records,we are currently 35 games unbeaten which stretches back to 28/9/24!

Colorado Rapids - End of Season - 2025

2025 Transfers

Those who left didn't really have a future at the club although I sold Badji as he did nothing but whine about first team football when he was a fourth choice central defender.Those who came in were to strengthen the depth of the team so we would be able to rotate and have more quality in case the games started to congest.Muniain was a surprise signing as his agent offered him to us then he accepted a £4k p/w contract to my delight,he should be able to feature quite heavily over the next few years.

Competitions

MLS

League Table - Semi-Final - Final - MLS Cup

With league form,it flattered us very much as we didn't deserve to finish with only one defeat in the regular season,we lost to Toronto in our only defeat which gave the players the wake up call they needed.The semi-final against San Jose wasn't even a challenge as we were that much superior then them and we showed our potential as we beat them 7-2 on agg.This set up a final against Vancouver,the game actually flattered Vancouver more then it did us as we did dominate the majority of the match and easily could have scored seven or eight but four was enough to see Vancouver off.The MLS Cup saw us up against the only team to beat us this season,Toronto.Was a fairly even game and it did look like it would be one goal that would settle it,luckily for us that it was Lucas who scored it to secure a second successive MLS Cup

CONCACAF Champions League

Group Stages - Quarter Final Draw

The group was a walk in the part with only Chivas giving us any problems.We drew and beat Chivas which in reality decided who was top of the group.The other games gave us very little problems.Our biggest win was 8-0 vs Motagua on matchday 3.The quarter final draw was rather interesting as we drew Mexican side Irapuato who have never done anything of note so they are probably the weakest of the Mexican sides in the competition.I feel we have a good chance of winning it as America (Mex) are probably the only real threat.

US Open Cup

WINNERS

I am pleased to have retained the US Open cup.We beat FC Tampa Bay 3-1 in the third round before edging past MLS side Columbus Crew 1-0 in the 4th round.The semi final should have been more comfortable then it was but we still ended up winning 2-1 against Charleston Battery to set up a final against West Conference rivals Seattle.Seattle took a deserved lead in the 6th minute but we showed our superiority to no avail as it was 1-0 at half time.Seattle had a brief spell in the second half before we turned up the heat and scored three goals in fourteen minutes to win the cup.

Players,Stats and Awards

Player Stats

Fernando Frontini

Frontini was the clubs top scorer has he hit 28 goals in 43 appearances which was a new club record.Seems to have confidence issues affect him when he doesn't score but when he is confident then he is near unstoppable.His performances have improved and it's only a matter of time before he does hit 30 goals in a season.He was awarded with Fans Player of the Year.

Wilfredo Arroyo

Arroyo topped the assist chart with 17 as well as scoring 11 times in his 37 appearances.He is still only 21 so will probably have another six years before he reaches his peak which is quite scary due to his consistency.He has attracted attention from Europe as Dutch side De Graafschap.

Iker Muniain

Had a slow start to life at Colorado but he soon found his form and score 16 goals in 32 appearances.Unfortunately for him,a torn calf muscle ruled him out for three months which ended his season.If it wasn't that injury,I have the confidence to say he would have scored more then 20 in the season.Despite that setback,he still managed to win Newcomer of the Year.

Tang Bai

To the Canadians,he is nothing more then a traitor.To the Americans,he is their number one left back.In his first season at Colorado,he performed brilliantly as he averaged at 7.43 from 33 games.He has made himself at home and I am quite surprised that no bigger clubs have come in for him after impressing.He won Rookie of the Year in what I can say isn't much of a surprise.

Abdiel Lopez

The youngster has really made the MC position his own and has now featured for the U.S.A five times but he still has quite a bit of room for improvement so he could potentially making the MC position his own for the national team.He featured 30 times,scored 9 goals and provided 6 assists.He won U.S.A Young Player of the Year.

Moez Nafti

The Tunisian international continued to impress throughout the season,played 42 times during the season and conceded 32 goals while keeping 18 clean sheets so was very impressive indeed.For his performances,he won Goalkeeper of the Year.

Armand Bassole

The Ivorian was brilliant throughout the season and was eventually called by the U.S.A national team.For his performances in the league, he won Defender of the Year.

Overview

Was a pretty amazing season in which we were only beat once in the entire of 2025 and that is while taking friendlies into account.We were probably lucky to have a record like this as we were pretty fortunate to beat several teams.The MLS season saw us set two records for most points with 85 and most goals with 103,I am very pleased to retain the US Open Cup in which Seattle did give us a battle for most of the game.The CONCACAF Champions League bar the two games against Chivas has been a walk in the park which was to be expected so I am looking to progress further seeing as we do have a favourable draw.I am pretty confident we can do the same next season but may need to replace two of the players retiring.

Will most definitely be staying at the club for the whole of 2026 as I feel we can potentially win the CONCACAF Champions League in the new season so will only be fair to stay to see if I can,my contract ends in 2027 so that does give me an extra year in case I do manage to mess things up.There a couple of interesting things that have cropped up around the world,the biggest one is a real life Premiership Club who are fighting against relegation in League 2 and for once it isn't Wigan.I would love to manage them and get them back to the Premiership so maybe I will go there in a future.

Season     Club         Division       Country      League       Cup       Continental    Avg.Att            Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12  Persepam    Prem Division    Indonesia      2nd       1st Rnd        N/A           739            Promotion!
2012/13  Persepam    Super League     Indonesia      4th       4th Rnd        N/A          1400           Top 4 Finish!
2013/14  Dag + Red    BSB Premier      England       4th       2nd Rnd        N/A          2040        Started Oct,Promoted!
2014/15  Dag + Red     League 2        England       8th       6th Rnd        N/A          3742          FA Cup Last 8
2015/16  Dag + Red     League 2        England       1st       6th Rnd        N/A          3778            Promotion!
2016/17  Dag + Red     League 1        England       4th       4th Rnd        N/A          5828          Playoff Winners!
2017/18  RB Leipzig  3.fußball liga    Germany       1st         N/A          N/A          7899            Promotion!
2018/19  RB Leipzig   2.Bundesliga     Germany       1st       1st Rnd        N/A          13209        Title + Promotion!
2019/20  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       3rd      RUNNER-UP       N/A          21573        CL Qualification!
2020/21  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       2nd       WINNERS       GS/RU         27012        DFB-POKAL winners!
2021/22  RB Leipzig   1.Bundesliga     Germany       1st       WINNERS      WINNERS        36664           Won Treble!
2022     Sao Paulo      Serie A        Brazil        1st         N/A         Group         58710           Won Double!
2023     Sao Paulo      Serie A        Brazil        1st         N/A        WINNERS        57771          Clean Sweep!
2024     Colorado         MLS          U.S.A        1st/WIN    WINNERS       Semis         17595           Won Double!
2025     Colorado         MLS          U.S.A        1st/WIN    WINNERS      Quarters*      17572           Won Double!

*Tie to be played

deltablue - It's about time after a rather dull start in Indonesia :D

AK22 - Thanks :D I agree,there is only America (Mex) who I would be worried about from the remaining clubs.

HotChocolate - I know,absolute disgrace!I hope those who didn't turn up during the season get lost in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison :p

• 2 weeks later...

Colorado Rapids - Pre-Season - 2026

Information - Finances - Board Overview - Expectations

Pre-Season Activity

Pre-Season Transfers - 0 in 0 out

I feel absolutely confident with the team I currently have at my disposal,two players did actually leave the club but it was through retirement with the most notable being Freddy Adu.

Pre-Season Fixtures

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/will2909/Hitch%20hikers%20guide%20to%20FM12/ColoradoRapidsFixtures_Fixtures-2.png[/img]"]ColoradoRapidsFixtures_Fixtures-2.png

The Team

Team Report - Squad and Tactics

Key Players

Moez Nafti - Gk - 4*/4.5*

During Pre-season,he has attracted alot of attention from clubs in France who have been offering over £3million for him so we are still lucky to have him here.Last seasons Goalkeeper of the Year,I am hoping he can produce more of the same and especially in the Champions League as he has been virtually unbeatable at times.Conceded 32 goals in 42 appearances.I will be nothing short of pleased if he can get the number conceded below 30.

Tang Bai - DLC - 3.5*/4.5*

Played 33 times,scored 5 goals....a traitor to his home country of Canada but a new found hero to the USA.He played the majority of the season at Centre back for us while he was played at left back for the USA even though DC is his stronger position.Only young but is starting to attract attention from Holland and England as well as Rosenborg.He is a brilliant player even if he lacks at being a team player,he makes up for in his personality as he is a perfectionist.

Diego Mercado - MC - 3*/4.5*

Mercado seems to be the rising star of midfield and I reckon he could actually be better then Lopez.Came to the club in last seasons draft,he played 33 times while scoring three and providing 2 assists but he was mainly played in the more defensive of my two MC's.He was fully capped by the end of the season and I fully expect him to compete in more serious games for the USA soon.Will probably play more then 33 times this season if he can avoid injuries which seems to be his weak point but I still have alot of hope for him.

Fernando Frontini - AMC,ST - 4.5*/4.5*

Top scorer last season and will more then likely be top scorer this season.If he can maintain his confidence throughout the whole season then he could break the 30 goal barrier but with the younger players improving,they will be able to give Frontini alot more support when attacking,has noone interested in him which is surprising as he could probably play for a lower English Premiership side.He is a regular scorer in the league as in his entire career,he has 171 goals in 293 appearances which is no easy feat.Hoping he breaks the 30 goal mark and maybe near 35 goals for the season.

Overview

I decided to do practically zero in pre-season as I feel we have a very strong team to compete on every front.The youngsters are improving with each season which makes our team stronger.Pre-Season fixtures were a breeze and our defence was very rarely challenged,in fact all three teams managed ten shots between them which says it all for our defence.The MLS and Champions League will be main priority but will field strong teams in regards to the US Open Cup to see if I can challenge for it with our second XI.We're also in the planning of stages for a new stadium which is news to me as I've not seen anything about it in my inbox.

Whether I stay or go at the end of the season will depend on how we perform in the Champions League.If we win in then I will leave but if we don't then I'll make sure we win it in 2027 which will be the final year of my contract at Colorado.Have been offered several jobs from Brazil,Argentina and across Europe but one of the jobs I've been linked to has put a smile on my face.I have been linked to my old club Red Bull Leipzig even though they haven't really been underperforming but it seems like that due to my success the new manager has had alot of pressure put on him.

Archived