A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

And how is this working out for them?...

There are probably no pirated versions of these games anymore, am I correct?

Somebody published some links earlier which show switching to Steam only improved sales dramatically.

You obviously haven't read much of this thread, the aim isn't to prevent piracy per se, the aim is to improve sales, have a long read it's all here somewhere:)

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is very naive of sega to think that by putting the game on the steam platform it will delay piracy and thus instead of waiting a few days for the pirate version to surface they will buy the original!! Come on surely you can't be that daft!

Yeh they obviously did the figures on the back of a fag packet one Saturday night down the pub and didn't consult any experts or other companies who'd already done it:rolleyes:

It is a gamble to do what there doing and whilst I am not buying this years game I can only hope that they at least give people other options to play the game next year, if not, I think sales will drop even further.

'Even further' suggests they've dropped already, or that you have advance knowledge that sales of 2012 will be below the other versions. Let's at least wait and see if figures drop first, and if they do, I'm sure SI and SEGA will look at re-introducing more options.

Somebody published some links earlier which show switching to Steam only improved sales dramatically.

You obviously haven't read much of this thread, the aim isn't to prevent piracy per se, the aim is to improve sales, have a long read it's all here somewhere:)

So, basically it doesn't prevent it at all. Then what on earth are some people talking about? How does switching to Steam increase sales? I can see things like good advertising due to bigger companies backing you or the fact that there are more kids today than there were yesterday (maybe a few other factors can be thrown in as well) may have an effect. But by simply suggesting that a simple move over to Steam will magically improve sales all on it's own is just :rolleyes:...

My brother doesn't know any english.

No problem with FM12, it comes in danish too. But what is he going to do with steam. Trust me, he would not have a clue to why the game won't work as always.

Does steam come in danish? Or any other languages?

Not to worry about my brother. I will of cause help him ;)

Thank you. Now understand why there is so much anger. The disruption being minimal is meaningless if people don't buy the software.

No meaningful benefits have been stated in the last 30 pages from my point of view - so please understand why people like me are annoyed.

That's cool, but that's nothing to do with me.

Nobody really cares about SI's bottom line - we all know it makes money, and we all know it's not going out of business any time soon. We only care about what goes on our PCs.

It does affect you, because SI needs to turn a profit on its product so that it has the money to create new versions of the game in the future. Without the money, there's no version 2013. The Steam scheme won't stop piracy, but it may get more people to buy the game instead of downloading an illegal copy. As someone else said, I'm sure they have balanced the pros and cons of this from the business side.

My brother doesn't know any english.

No problem with FM12, it comes in danish too. But what is he going to do with steam. Trust me, he would not have a clue to why the game won't work as always.

Does steam come in danish? Or any other languages?

Not to worry about my brother. I will of cause help him ;)

Steam comes in many languages, including Danish :thup:

Didn't they sell 500.000 copies of the game last year?

30£ each.... Hmmm... 15 millions £ ... Can't make a FM2013.... Hmmm. Don't think piracy is the problem then.

- High wages? ------ Don't think so.

- Too much staff -------- Don't think so.

- Bad deal with SEGA --------- If so, get out of it.. So no.

- Development cost too high --------- Well, what cost. Wages = yes. Computers = Yes. Rent = Yes. Energi = Yes. SEGA deal = Yes. ----------------- Does this bring the total up to 15 millions?

If so, I would call it VERY bad management.

Of cause the owner will get some money out of it too.... But come on.

Making Football Manager games at SiGames is NOT a bad thing. It DOES make a profit.

But again, more sale, more profit.

But don't tell us, that there will be no FM2013 with 500.000 sold copies. Plz.. Thx.

that's it im not going to buy this year FM it is a great game but im not going to install steam just for this game. x42bn6 is a master.

es todo no voy a comprar el juego de esta año a menos que cambien lo del a activacion por steam esto me parece ridiculo al principio pensaba comprarlo de cualquier manera pero x42bn6 me abrio los ojos.

30£ each.... Hmmm... 15 millions £ ... Can't make a FM2013.... Hmmm. Don't think piracy is the problem then.

- Development cost too high --------- Well, what cost. Wages = yes. Computers = Yes. Rent = Yes. Energi = Yes. SEGA deal = Yes. ----------------- Does this bring the total up to 15 millions?

Didn't know you work in the game development industry.

Making Football Manager games at SiGames is NOT a bad thing. It DOES make a profit.

But again, more sale, more profit.

But don't tell us, that there will be no FM2013 with 500.000 sold copies. Plz.. Thx.

I think 2013 was used has an example don't look to much into it would it have been better for him to say 2020, would have had the same effect

Didn't know you work in the game development industry.

I think 2013 was used has an example don't look to much into it would it have been better for him to say 2020, would have had the same effect

Football Manager 2011 for PC and PSP was the third best-selling game with 690,000 units sold in Europe and North America.

OK. I don't think SI make £30 per copy sold. For one, I've never paid more than £25 for a copy of the game, and that is the retail price rather than what SI actually make from it. Unfortunately, I don't work in the industry, so I have no idea what percentage of that will filter it's way back to the developer (after the retailer and publisher have took their cut).

I also don't know how many staff SI employ, but if we assume that all of their staff work for £15-25k per year, then we start denting the total income straight away. On top of that, we have the cost of maintaining the offices, various insurances, and as you say, electricity.

Given the number of licensed players and teams included in the game, is it fair to assume that SI must make some contribution to have these rights?

Not to forget sponsorships, advertisements, and all the other costs that you missed.

Despite that, this is so far from the point of this thread as to be worthless. There is absolutely nothing wrong with SI trying to be paid for people using their software.

Good. Why are people then talking about they dont want to give steam there information?

Well, we can lie when they ask about name and adress, right? Create an email account, only to use it to register at steam.

Then have Steam in Offline mode forever.Is it 100% sure that Steam NEVER NEVER EVER, will pop up with something like...... 'check out this game, it's so cool. Only 29.99£', and so on ?

Unless you want to download new patches, which you can only get from Steam.

Its up to GAME/HMV or any of the other websites to provide information on their own websites, SEGA isn't responsible for their content. Complain to the other websites.

This is what could happen:

Contact SI due to a problem

SI states that the problem is not theirs, please contact SEGA

Contact SEGA due to a problem

SEGA states that the problems is not theirs, please contact Steam

Contact Steam due to a problem

Steam support (after a while) can't locate the problem, please contact SI or some of the other websites

:p

This is what could happen:

Contact SI due to a problem

SI states that the problem is not theirs, please contact SEGA

Contact SEGA due to a problem

SEGA states that the problems is not theirs, please contact Steam

Contact Steam due to a problem

Steam support (after a while) can't locate the problem, please contact SI or some of the other websites

:p

That isn't the point that was being made at all, nor is it similar.

This is what could happen;

Kriss could get bored with people making wild guesses and creating make believe "what if" scenarios.

Kriss could then close this thread.

The Mods could then go back through this thread banning all those users they find irritating (believe me some are more easily irritated than me):)

Kriss could then have a monopoly on making things up.

Not at all, we just love playing the blame game - but ultimatley where, in your mind, does the responsability usually lie?

Well in this instance, SEGA is responsible for the content on its own website. GAME is responsible for the content on its own website. HMV is responsible for the content on its own website. Therefore, complaining on these forums that content is missing from a website which SEGA has no control over is rather pointless.

Regarding your analogy about a problem with the game, you've got no chance of getting much out of SEGA considering they're only the publisher of the game, though I'm sure they'd try and help if there was a problem, and I would have thought that it would be easy to tell the difference between a steam related problem and a Football manager related problem and contact the relevant organisation.

Well in this instance, SEGA is responsible for the content on its own website. GAME is responsible for the content on its own website. HMV is responsible for the content on its own website. Therefore, complaining on these forums that content is missing from a website which SEGA has no control over is rather pointless.

Even so it would be good form for Miles and Sega to shout loudly at them as any repercussions will surely fall on them.

This is what could happen;

Kriss could get bored with people making wild guesses and creating make believe "what if" scenarios.

Kriss could then close this thread.

The Mods could then go back through this thread banning all those users they find irritating (believe me some are more easily irritated than me):)

Kriss could then have a monopoly on making things up.

Fair enough Kriss. I've been way out of line. The rest of you making wise remarks with :D is just fine, but me making one of my own is just too much. I am sorry if I trotted on anyone and please feel free to remove my remark.

Thanks

Fair enough Kriss. I've been way out of line. The rest of you making wise remarks with :D is just fine, but me making one of my own is just too much. I am sorry if I trotted on anyone and please feel free to remove my remark.

Thanks

I was actually joking, If you think anything in this world could make me read this thread again you must be bonkers:D

Even so it would be good form for Miles and Sega to shout loudly at them as any repercussions will surely fall on them.

There's a notion...

Don't tell me that you just supported the dark-side (even though it was very small one of it's kind)...

Sometimes you just lose faith in a good old fashioned "it's us against them" if these things start going on in a regular fashion...

Now, don't let this happen again... :D

There's a notion...

Don't tell me that you just supported the dark-side (even though it was very small one of it's kind)...

Sometimes you just lose faith in a good old fashioned "it's us against them" if these things start going on in a regular fashion...

Now, don't let this happen again... :D

I'm actually only on the side of those who want to play FM, I'm really sorry for those who can't but I'm not all that sympathetic for those who can but won't, they have a choice so if they're really "loyal":D they'll bite the bullet.

I also like telling Miles what to do:D

Kind of, though as plenty of people have pointed out, Steam does have a tendency to try to force itself back online. In the most obscure of explanations, if you run Steam, FM has to ask Steam for permission to open before it actually will - if you're online, it checks you're legit. If you're not, it assumes you are since you were last time you were online (from the login details provided).

Thanks for the info. But for the third time I ask why must Steam always be active? You cant play the game unless activated so why must it be there after activation?. I can see why Steam want that access but why do SI think that that is a necessary thing?

I'm actually only on the side of those who want to play FM, I'm really sorry for those who can't but I'm not all that sympathetic for those who can but won't, they have a choice so if they're really "loyal":D they'll bite the bullet.

Rea-he-he-lly?

Then you better send Bohsjohn your condolences or we don't believe you...

But on a serious note:

Bohsjohn, if we were to understand correctly then public wi-fi's won't let you connect to Steam?

Rea-he-he-lly?

Then you better send Bohsjohn your condolences or we don't believe you...

But on a serious note:

Bohsjohn, if we were to understand correctly then public wi-fi's won't let you connect to Steam?

Public Wifi will let you connect to Steam, at least the cafes I have been to have allowed me,

Check what Miles and Bertie said then check the four "Buy Now" sites, and the SEGA "Pre-Order" page. (7:08pm)

And how long has the game been available to buy?!

Like I said SEGA and Miles aren't responsible for the content displayed on external websites. The information should be on the SEGA pre-order page, but SEGA have made the information about requiring internet access clear already on their website on a different page.

It would not work for me no.I can't aford internet sending this from my phone.

I haven't tried it but it might be that public wi-fi's won't allow certain sites due to the availability of downloadable material, so it blocks them out. I know it is not what you want to hear, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

Whilst Kriss feels sorry/sympathetic for people like Bohsjohn, I on the otherhand have tried to highlight that people are going to end up in situations such as this. Of course, we can say to him he has to look for other options - but what if he doesn't really have one? Most people here won't see your problem, Bohsjohn, because they don't have the same problem. For your sake and others in your situation, I truely hope that SI/SEGA re-think the position that they have taken on this matter...

Archived