So, FM11 doesn't know the rules of football

Common sense isn't that common though Joe. I'm a ref myself, and I get slaughtered all the time for applying the laws correctly because people don't understand them properly. I've always thought players should be made to sit tests on the laws of the game before being allowed to play, and should be made to re-sit those tests every couple of years. I'd also make all professional players referee games under cameras and have all their decisions scrutinised for the 90 minutes too. Would soon improve behaviour.

Even though I'm obliged to hate you because you're a ref.;) I would love to see your ideas implemented, particularly the refereeing games part. I grew up playing more rugby than football and learned to respect the authority of referees, it would be nice to see something similar on the football pitch.

Also, make all the players wear skin tight ski suits so they can't grab a hold of each other's shirts. :D

Just to say the penalty issue is one we're aware of, but sadly it's not a simple case of just saying 'ball hits post - striker can't score' else we'd have fixed it long ago! Thanks for bringing it up mind.

You can't talk to the players? ::shock::

In regards to Henry/Pires - they missed the penalty anyway.

Pires was nervous when he went up to take it miskicked it and Man City cleared the danger.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4374082.stm

Here's a rather crappy video of it :)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/837658/pires_penalty_miss/

As long as the ball move forwards when the Penalty is taken it's legal.

I think it was a cool thing to try. I guess that's why players sprint the box as the player kicks the ball.

Even though I'm obliged to hate you because you're a ref.;) I would love to see your ideas implemented, particularly the refereeing games part. I grew up playing more rugby than football and learned to respect the authority of referees, it would be nice to see something similar on the football pitch.

Also, make all the players wear skin tight ski suits so they can't grab a hold of each other's shirts. :D

No, just chop their hands off. That should stop it :)

It's a stupid rule imo.

Eradicating it would encourage the likes of Balotelli to attempt a rebound goal on purpose to look cool, and more of that sort of thing can only be applauded.

So we'd have players dribbling 99% of penalties in. Brilliant.

It's a stupid rule imo.

The same player is never allowed to touch the ball again after ANY free kick, unless any other player has touched it.

So a player could take a 40 yard free kick, run into the box, catch the rebound off the crossbar, score and it would be disallowed and a free kick awarded to the opposing team.

This is the law of the game.

Don't understand why you think it's daft?

Why is a rebound off the post any different in that situation to open play?

Why is a rebound different to the keeper parrying it?

It's only because, at some point in the past, someone decided it should be.

It's nothing do with rebounds. It's to do with another player touching the ball. Doesn't matter if it hits the corner flag. Another player has to touch the ball.

If a player taking a corner, hits it off the corner flag and it goes outside the little corner box, that player can't touch it again either.

In fact, if it hit the referee the player cannot touch it again.

If a seagull catches the ball in it's beak and flies 30 yards up the pitch and all the players chase it and it drops it and the player that took the freekick knocks it in.

It doesn't matter how it happens. A player must touch the ball after freekick before the taker of the kick can touch it again.

It's a Law of the game. And yeh someone decided it should be a Law. To stop people taking 2 or more touches from dead ball.

It's nothing do with rebounds. It's to do with another player touching the ball. Doesn't matter if it hits the corner flag. Another player has to touch the ball.

If a player taking a corner, hits it off the corner flag and it goes outside the little corner box, that player can't touch it again either.

If a seagull catches the ball in it's beak and flies 30 yards up the pitch and all the players chase it and it drops it and the player that took the freekick knocks it in.

It doesn't matter how it happens. A player must touch the ball after freekick before the taker of the kick can touch it again.

It's a Law of the game. And yeh someone decided it should be a Law. To stop people taking 2 or more touches from dead ball.

Exactly this. I haven't seen a single reason in this thread for us to start messing around with laws of the game.

hahaha great post!

How does "no rebounds" translate into taking 2 or more touches?

Why does it matter if a player touches it or not? The goal is just as active a part of the game as the goalkeeper is. If it hits either and comes back, it should be ok to shoot as there's really no difference. Next a striker wont be able to take another shot if his first hits a post from open play. It's exactly the same thing.

Why this translates to you as players being able to dribble into the net I have no idea.

http://ar.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12e.pdf

Familiarise yourself with that, specifically the part about free kicks and penalties.

This has probably (!) gone a little off-topic now though, but if you want to continue the discussion feel free to start a thread in the football forum about it.

Why would he do that? You're the one who's arguing they should change the law because its daft! Everybody else is fine with this the way it is.

Because if he gets the rebound he would have taken two touches.

I don't make the laws, I just read the law book. And it doesn't give reason to why a rebound is not allowed. Other than another player in play on the field must touch the ball.

If they allowed a rebound, then people could argue all kinds of extrapolations of that law for other things. That's thing about laws, there can be no loose ends.

But perhaps you should take it up with FIFA? I don't have the answer to why a rebound wouldn't be allowed, other than the Law of the game says you can't. And in this life we don't get to choose what Laws we obey and don't obey.

The laws are there to protect the integrity of the game and to put order into proceedings.

Does the rule with penalty shoot outs still ineffect. The one where if the ball hits woodwork and bounces out, but then hits the keeper and goes it then its not a goal. If it is then I doubt it would be implented in FM.

Here is a famous example I remember watching as a kid during the penalty shootout btween France and Brazil in 1986.

Skip to 4min mark.

[video=youtube;_nhvqIjgQ04]

Archived