Football Manager Handheld 12 - How would you like it?

Surely that must be pretty clunky to code? Its certainly better than hardcoding stuff but...Just a simple XML configuration file would make life so much easier dealing with that stuff as you can visually build it up (not with mental visualisations ).

propbebly takes up less room though?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Player of the Year History Award 2) compared to player 3) create your own team formations 4) market with scouts, coaches, assistants, 5) the opportunity to see information about the team in selecting a new game 6) statistics player in the Champions League, Euro Cup, World Cup etc. 7). a significant increase in the price of the player such as the World Cup finals play, etc. 8) set the ticket match 9) youth (that is, but probably too demanding) 10) World ranking people, and Club 11) a wider choice option when other leagues .. . England for example - the possibility to enter just the first and 2 league. Czech Republic - the possibility to enter: the best clubs. 12) affiliated clubs, 13) offers frequent the club and talented players on the best shooter, best přihrávače etc. 14) to respond to an offer or inquiry player ... that is salable only at a price that is unmarketable, etc. ... and question other club in the caudal for which I am willing to sell the player 15) to customize my team view 16) the possibility of application to the National Club to educate young player .. . and at the end of the season then I this player for some nationalities the possibility arises to call him

and More ... more space for storage. At least 10 seats. A. .. more characteristic of my personal manager: more attribute, history, age, previous work (professional football player, camcorders, etc.), figure how much I brought successful Teenager in top football, how I was brought up telent

is it possible to include more reserve players if you load just one league, especially on the leagues like germany and spain where they play in the lower leagues.

• SI Staff
Surely that must be pretty clunky to code? Its certainly better than hardcoding stuff but...Just a simple XML configuration file would make life so much easier dealing with that stuff as you can visually build it up (not with mental visualisations ).

Personally I find the way we do it very easy to handle - the tables are laid out using absolute coordinates and the development system used allows for 'adhoc' live changes to ripple into a page while its running.

Finally artists and non-tech people can do fine tuning and adjustment of graphics etc. by editing the configuration file.

(bear in mind that people often get 'hung up' on the idea of XML being a cure all - XML is just a basic schema for a text configuration file and does naff all on its own, the text configuration files we use aren't 'XML' based but are very simple to read and edit ... far easier than say the XML used to generate the FM PC UI)

There are several reasons why the tables are laid out in this manner - (1) console navigation controls, its vital that you don't allow people who don't understand the way the navigation system on the PSP operates to rearrange the screen to 'look pretty' and break the navigation logic (ie. the PSP might seem simple to 'use' but thats actually because of a lot of effort on our behalf with layout and operation), (2) paring down the data contained on each page - again I don't want people cluttering up a page with lots of disparate data, with limited screen space on handheld devices I want to ensure that each page just has a 'limited focus' and is easy to read and understand; this is easier when the basic layout and focus of a page is pre-defined, (3) handheld devices don't lend to non-absolute coordinate systems; on FM PC when you resize a page there is often 'dead space' left because of how the resizing is done on a handheld (especially a touch input device) this is not a good thing because of the limited physical screen space (this is one of the reasons why we didn't just 'lift' the FM PC XML system) - non-absolute coordinate systems also increase the processing required to display a page (as you have to then dynamically calculate the 'real' positions once you reach a page) ... as I mentioned previously I very much believe in instantaneous action/reaction in a UI.

If you find it easier I'll bow to your superior knowledge. :)

I guess I said XML as an example as it's most commonly used as configuration files and vice versa (that was it's original purpose) and it fixes issues that libs like yaml have in regards to having multiple tables and stuff. I also guessed that you'd use xml so that you need to have a smaller parser, but again you probably know more than me.

In regards to absolute/relative, on android all views are laid out relatively but blitting onto a view isn't; I would assume that iOS is the same?

If it's all stored in configurations as-is, can't you just open up these configuration files that already exist?

• SI Staff
In regards to absolute/relative, on android all views are laid out relatively but blitting onto a view isn't; I would assume that iOS is the same?

For a standard iOS application then it'd use the apple UI editing tools, however FMH is rendered using OpenGL as most games are (and so doesn't have the standard configuration files for UI layout that way a business program might have*).

*Well it has a very few of these - one for the 'area' taken by the OpenGL and a few others for 'standard' Apple UI pages - music player, map display etc.

I had a similar idea to Dec regarding assistants and, perhaps, other coaches / scouts.

Rather than use real people and require contract negotiations etc I would suggest just having levels of ability.

For example you start at a BSP club your assistant would be level 1 (limited advice of questionable accuracy). Using your transfer funds you can upgrade the level of your assistant to provide better advice and other bonuses (perhaps better morale etc). I'd probably suggest having up to 5 levels - with level 5 being world class.

This could also be expanded to other coaches, scouts and physios each with their own bonuses for upgrading. This will enable you to put your own stamp on a club depending on your own preferences and management philosophy.

For instance if you prefer bringing younger players through then you could upgrade your youth coach which could mean your youth players develop quicker.

I'd have also thought this would take up less memory than using real people and would be easier and quicker to do on the go.

seems a little gimmicky, as FMH is a football manager sim your idea would stray and end up looking like a rehased LMA
I'd certainly agree for the PC version it'd be a non-starter but I see the handheld version as being a bit more flexible. The unlockables are a good example of this.Also I think of gimmicks as being something that adds nothing tangible to the game whereas I think that this would enable you to have a bit more control over your club.

-Control all of the youth teams.

-Change the youth system and the way players develop

-The audience more real.

-New balls

-Controlling the price of tickets,

-Improve the comments of the games.

-Real entrepreneurs.

-Lower divisions of Portugal.

-Control during the game who can mark the faults

-Clubs failing to extinguish.

-Getting a loan for more than one year

-Satellites improved (parent club)

-Create academies in other countries and then arrange for these academies scouts and coaches to evaluate the players.

-Stadiums improved.

-Real Sponsors

-when the game updates, patches, etc ... we could ever receive a warning message asking if you want to install in game.

-Using the money you earn as a manager.

-Being able to take control of German national team.

-Get the licence for japannese league.

-Ask your assistant manager to play one half of a match for you.

-Sending players to language classes, then the player adapt to the club quickly.

-Ability to tell a player that he impressed you in training.

-More interaction with the fans to gain more adepts.

-Add history to your manager in what teams he played as a player.

-As manager could add personal favourites and see it and maybe more than one team as favourite.

-As manager add dislikes in my status.

-better match engine.

-Yell to complacent players during game to get better or get off.

-Be able to save my opposition instructions.

-Open training days to acept or decline players to stay and sign a contract.

-In lower leagues I can make money real fast just by arrange lots of friendlies against the same foreigner club.

-Possibility to play = to the tactics of IA. In most cases IA can do things we can do with the all type of options we have to manage.

For PC i like to see this stuff improved and added.

Thats it for now.

Let Sports Interactive be the judge of that. For what it's worth I don't feel your assistant manager idea would fit in: for a start clubs don't pay transfers for managers they pay compensation but I don't voice that opinion.

• SI Staff

I'm afraid I agree with Ceirdiff Dec, 'bidding' for assistant managers just wouldn't feel realistic. While there are some people who switch between Manager and Assistant roles irl, these are normally at the larger clubs and this 'system' wouldn't feel realist/work particularly well in the lower leagues at all.

(one day this is an area I will look at expanding in FMH - but not in the manner you've suggested, sorry)

That being said - I thought the article was intelligently written and well thought out ...

I have already posted on this thread. I am however somewhat of a loudmouth yeah I know shocking. I just have three.

1. The £60m limit on transfer fees.

2. I was at Real Madrid and a player wanted 170k a week but the game would only let me offer 150k. VERY FRUSTRATING.

3. This game needs some media interaction. I have been rubbing my two brain cells together thinking about this during the forums absence.

I really really like this new feature.

• SI Staff

1. The £60m limit on transfer fees.

This is changed to a 150m one in FMHi 2012 (its not 'really' a feature so I'll let you know now :D).

2. I was at Real Madrid and a player wanted 170k a week but the game would only let me offer 150k. VERY FRUSTRATING.

If you are below budget then you can be allowed to offer more than this - its entirely dependant on the circumstances (but tbh 150k/week isn't THAT bad really ;) ).

3. This game needs some media interaction. I have been rubbing my two brain cells together thinking about this during the forums absence.

I think this side of things will expand BUT its also important to prevent it from feeling repetitive so it'll be a natural evolution as time goes on in the series ...

@ Marc

1. I hope it will be put in.

2. I was massively below budget. It is bad having players want more money than you can offer its horrible. I have never been able to offer more than 150k a week even after complaining to the board. I also was managing Messi who starts the game on 300k a week or something and he wouldn't agree new terms because only 150k was on offer.

3. See my thread homeslice.

A few things I would like that would make the game feel much more like you actually had control of what goes on in your club.

1. Option for Full match replay in 2D engine (Right now it is only tiny snipits - it is virtually impossible to get an overview of what is going on visually on the pitch with 2 second highlights during key moments the only graphical coupling to literally see how your tactics and personnel are actually functioning on the pitch) This is the most realistic way to manage your team during the match - as a real manager watching the proceeding unfold before his eyes from the sidelines. Right now the match just seems to fly by without the manager having much of a chance at all of influencing proceedings - a huge departure from the core of what the PC version is.

2. Graphical Pentagon like PC version for player attributes in player profile. Again a very useful tool to get a quick visual of how good and what type of player the person is.

3. Player comparison screen like PC version.

To get back on topic, I would like to see more diverse goals in the match engine - it has become very predictable to the point that I can tell whether or not I'm going to score/concede pretty much from the beginning of the highlight.

I would like to see career statistics for players, and possibly a complete transfer history for your club if possible (I like to see how former players continue their career).

I have played about 25 seasons with Ceuta in Spain and it would be great if minor teams could have a B-team (that can be promoted into Segunda B) created when they become a major force in their domestic league.

I recently checked an iPhone game from a very known competitor. They released a footie management game that took place on the 80s, and even though I do not like their match engine and their interface, I had to check it out. The game turned out to be a huge disappointment - I had no willingness to play anymore after 10 matches or so. But I really enjoyed a few ideas, like the way they handle media interaction.

It really felt more like a real conference - you could pick which journalist you wanted to interview you, and your answer influenced your relation with the board, the players, the fans and the media. It was quite challenging to try to keep everyone happy - and surprisingly not repetitive at all.

Is it possible to make the news include things outside of football to make it more realistic? e.g. a player caught speeding, or someone taking performance enhancing drugs or referees taking bribes. It might make the game a bit depressing if this is included, but it makes it more realistic.

• SI Staff
Is it possible to make the news include things outside of football to make it more realistic? e.g. a player caught speeding, or someone taking performance enhancing drugs or referees taking bribes. It might make the game a bit depressing if this is included, but it makes it more realistic.

Bribes and drugs aren't something I want to put into FMHi - a lot of younger people play our games and I want to show them the positive side to football not the negative.

(yeah I'm 'that old' that I worry about this sort of thing ;) )

How about we BRIBE you with DRUGS to spill the beans :p? (See what I did there?)

On a serious note I have been thinking about the media side of thing and there are very little rumours when I am Chelsea (about 3 a year), it would be nice to have a rumours page or something like FM.

I'd like more match stats saved until the end of the season. At the moment the game only saves basic match stats of your team's season fixtures. I would like it to save the season fixture stats for your team's division at the very least. The limited saving was originally done because the PSP had no memory. But we're in the tablet and super smartphone era and Vita is coming soon.

I'd like more league/Champions league records. Such as least goals conceded and personal records such as top scorer (all time and for one season), assists, appearances, most yellow/red cards in a season etc.

I'd like to see players given squad numbers at the start of every season, also your transfer bugdet should roll over to the next season. Such as if you sell a player on deadline day for £25m, this should be added to whatever you'd get for the next season.

Also wages shouldn't be capped in my opinion. If I want to give 1 player x amount, as long as I have enough funds it should let me give it them. Of course if the money's running out and go into debt I'd expect the sack!

Ps - money from attendences, cup runs etc should be on the new game.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see some sort of option/ tactical player role added in which any outfield player can take over the role of any other player in the team (total football) as invented by Ajax legend rinus michels. A lot of teams play with this mentality in the modern game especially barca, who when cruyff was manager took on a similar idea called tiki-taka, both defensive and offensive in equal measure. Short 1 or 2 touch passing, patience and possession. How possible is that?

Playing FM on iOS (both Iphone and Ipad). Would really love to see more leagues (Ukraine & Russia - two tiers in each) and some kind of network play over GSM or WiFi - that's not too critical. Since there is already a Game Centre in iOS, this should be one of the next steps IMO.

Thanks for the game and making it available in Russian (means - CIS) appstore. Cheers.

The most important feature I expect from FMH 2012 is the option for free tactics, instead of being forced to chose something static from a list. Allow us to move players in the tactical view. That's crucial.

Another thing I would like to see is the option to chose the captain, free kick and penalty takes, on the iPhone version. That, along with retina display support would make this already great game even better.

Archived