Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 2009 Update: Clubs

Cove Bay Pirates

The Pirates form seemed to be picking up at the start of December as they first thrashed Roda JC 4-0 and then got a good 2-0 win at NEC Breda. Unfortunately, they then embarked on a 5 game losing streak, which included a 5-0 loss at AZ and a 4-2 defeat to Ajax. Cove Bay also went out of the cup after a 1-0 loss to Heerenveen. The board decided enough was enough and manager Stanley Menzo was told to vacate his office. As he headed for the door with a few personal momentos gathered in a box, he bumped into the man who would be taking place - Henk ten Cate. The former-Chelsea coach had jmped at the oppurtunity to get into management and said he was looking forward to the challenge of taking this new club forward. He had a promising start too as a 2-0 victory oıver fellow strugglers Sparta saw the Pirates move out of the relegation zone.

Capital City Merchants FC

The story in the Northern part of the islands has been much more positive as the Merchants haven't lost since that defeat to PSV. They are still in the bottom half though as that 9 game unbeaten run has included 5 draws. Confidence is high though that the club can finish in a decent position this season and have a platform to buil on for next year.

This is how the tables look at the moment:

Dutch Premier Division Table (End of January 2009)

With 11 games of the regualr season to go, the Merchants look safe from the relegation play-offs. If their form continues a place in the play-offs to decide entrants into Europe next season may be on the cards. icon14.gif Cove Bay on the other hand, have a lot still to do as they need to move clear of the relegation play-off spots.

December/January Update: Rivals Watch

Only two games of note featuring players from opposing sides recently and both were from Belgium:

1. Theo Henry Gooner (NTI) and Rtik Carlos-Powell (STI) squared off in the quarter finals of the Belgian cup. Gooner's Genk side came out on top with a 1-0 win though Rtik and Standard have a chance for revenge next month in the return leg.

2. Rtik was again invloved as Standard played at AA Gent, who fielded a team including Northerner Roberto dos Santos. Both rivals had a big say in the outcome of this game as dos Santos hit a penalty in the 78th to tie the scores at 1-1 but Rtik ensured victory for his team with a dramtic lat winner to settle the match 2-1.

End of January Update: Players

A couple of transfers were made as more players left the rival clubs and there were some new contracts too:

Transfers

The first player to leave was Ramiro, who left Cove Bay at the start of January to join AZ.

Wrighty was also the subject of inetrest from Auxerre but manager Menzo ruled out a move. This provoked an angry reaction from the centrl defender who felt the time was right to jump ship. The matter was settled at the end of the month as new boss Henk ten Cate accepted an offer from Budesliga side Schalke. This brings the number of former Cove Bay/Merchants players in germany to eight.

No players left the Merchants.

Here are summaries of the clubs' transfer activites this season:

Cove Bay Transfers In & Out (End of January Transfer Window)

Merchants Transfers In & Out (End of January Transfer Window)

Of the players in, Cove Bay's new signing Eric Pieters (central/left defender) looks like a promising talent but he will have a lot to do to justify the 4.6mil fee. Losado, an Argentine right midfielder, and Verhaegh, a right back, have featured regularly so far and look decent if not spectacular. Izco, another Argentine midfielder, has yet to play.

New Contracts

The following players signed new deals over the last two months:

Craig Healy (Cove Bay) - the midfielder put pen to paper on a 2 year deal worth 2mil. icon14.gif

David Sunderland (Cove Bay) - the winger has struggled to reclaim his place after injury but was reassured about his future at the club by new boss ten Cate and signed the dotted line on a 2 year deal.

Robert Boyle (Merchants) - after a good run in the team, a new deal was offered and accepted.

The following players refused the new deals offered to them:

Heinrich Kroeger & Adam Flash (Cove Bay);

Pablo Gonzaléz (Merchants)

Other News

A few other bits and bobs concering players from the Islands:

Ben Cee has been criticised by the Mouscron boss for his poor recent form. The player himself agreed.

Jason de Mire attracted the interest of Ajax and Monaco after a run in the Cove Bay team. Former boss Menzo accepted Ajax's offer but the player turned down the move. New boss ten Cate rejected an approach from Monaco on the last day of the window.

Bob McBob has been drawing the plaudits after his recent performances for Wolfsburg with several managers 'hailing the McBob show' after matches.

Eduaddo is the only player currently on the treatment table, out for two weeks with a bruised thigh.

Great updates fella, apaologeis again for a alack of posting. From next weekend onwards I should be able to come on here more regularly again. icon14.gif

Trevor Tobago moved to PSV on a freebie, ncie to see them doing well in the table (although i'm probably not playing much lol).

Great to see NTI scrap through the WC Qual 2nd round, hopefully both nations can qual for the World Cup Finals. icon_smile.gif

Mid-season Update (January 2009)

Here's a nice collection of screenies showing the players progress. icon_smile.gif

What's your club and how much are you worth?

Where are they now? (Part 1)

Where are they now? (Part 2)

How often are you playing?

The regulars

The not-so-regulars

*It should be noted that Ramiro and Wrighty are near the bottom due to their recent moves.

How's your team doing in the league?I]

Dutch Premier Division Bundesliga

Belgian Premier League

English Premier League

It seems the toughest time is being had by the players in England as Spud has made just a few appearances for Liverpool and Le Quack is in the U-18s at Sunderland with 4 goalies ahead of him in the pecking order. I expect the players who are not already at big clubs to move on again in the next two years. It will be interesting to see who the first players to move to Spain and Italy will be.

Just noticed this but,

How did Rodja JC win the Dutch Premier Division last year?

Did Ajax and PSV do nothing or was it just a fluke of a season. It's quite incredible for them to win out of no-where and then next season be close to relegation!

Apart from that and Cove Bay too close to relegation for my liking, everything seems to be going well, looking forward to the Gold Cup.

Originally posted by Robert_296:

Can't see my stats because it has see someones profile in the way icon_mad.gif

Whoops! Didn't see that mate. :pThis should be better

Originally posted by route1:

Doing okay at Hertha. But how well are they doing in the league dodgee?

The Budesliga link is in the mid-season update post next to the Dutch league one. icon14.gif

Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

Just noticed this but,

How did Rodja JC win the Dutch Premier Division last year?

Did Ajax and PSV do nothing or was it just a fluke of a season. It's quite incredible for them to win out of no-where and then next season be close to relegation!

I'm a bit baffled by that too. icon_confused.gif I have both divisions on full detail and I checked Roda JC out - there have been no major changes in playing personel or staff since last season. Must have been a fluke. Either that or the prescence of Treasure Island players at PSV, NEC and Feyenoord together with the arrival of out two teams has knocked them off their perch. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Still not starting regularly for NTI despite being a 'star player' and my season at AA Gent seems to be taking a similar route icon_frown.gif Coming off the bence to do quite well though.

The Merchants look to be on their way to stay up, 'mon the old club icon14.gif

Originally posted by Haowan:

great work!

I might not be able to post tommorrow as I'm celebrating my birthday! icon_biggrin.gif

Happy birthday Haowan! icon14.gif

I've got a busy week coming up as my classes are doing exams leaving me with a lot of marking to do. icon13.gif I probably won't be able to post updates as often as I have been but I'll try to get something up on Wednesday.

Originally posted by Squirriel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macca69:

Keep in their mate!! Are you managing a team?

I believe he's managing Valladolid... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Jacob's second season at Lincoln wasn't going so well but somehow he got a job at Valladolid. icon_wink.gif I'm just holidaying through the game though (best to stay out of the rivalry so I'm not accused of bias icon_biggrin.gif).

i'm up for a shock sti gold cup win. nice to see the merchants doing well and we're going to avoid relegation. despite playing for the merchants, i would like my old club to stay in the top flight (though on second thoughts it might make interesting banter at international level!)

In retrospect, it is a pity the two club teams didnt have managers who recognised the players potential more and kept the squad together, or that the players didnt have higher loyalty ratings. (although I suspect this would have been irrelevent if the board wanted to cash in)

Still, perhaps my boy will find his way back to Cove Bay in years to come!

Pirates vs Merchants:

# Can we play you every week!!! #

(no, seriously, we need the points!)

Originally posted by valencia:

In retrospect, it is a pity the two club teams didnt have managers who recognised the players potential more and kept the squad together, or that the players didnt have higher loyalty ratings. (although I suspect this would have been irrelevent if the board wanted to cash in)

Still, perhaps my boy will find his way back to Cove Bay in years to come!

Pirates vs Merchants:

# Can we play you every week!!! #

(no, seriously, we need the points!)

I did actually alter both mangers to have near identical stats and I set judging player potential to maximum. I guess they were more interested in bringing in experience though. icon_frown.gif I didn't play around with the loyalty too much because I'm sure everyone wants to see how far their players will go (plus we always have the national sides to bring everyone back together for a clash or two in years to come icon_wink.gif).

After this season, I think there may only be a couple of players left at the original teams. Do you still want to keep track of the Merchnats and Cove Bay? Or will the results of the head-to-head matches be enough? Once the players are more dispersed, I was thinking of giving more of a stats based quarterly report on the various players, their clubs and leagues and focusing written reports on the national sides more. What do you think?

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

After this season, I think there may only be a couple of players left at the original teams. Do you still want to keep track of the Merchnats and Cove Bay? Or will the results of the head-to-head matches be enough? Once the players are more dispersed, I was thinking of giving more of a stats based quarterly report on the various players, their clubs and leagues and focusing written reports on the national sides more. What do you think?

I would want to know how the Pirates and Merchants are going. They are our teams after all, and I, for one, would want to see how they were doing.

Almost two weeks ago, I posted names of some of our players who have not been posting. Those whom have since posted (you know who you are icon_wink.gif) should ignore this but 3 of those listed have still not posted. I will be evicitng them at the end of the current season if that doesn't change. As a result, I'm starting a reserve list for anyone interested in joining this rivalry. The non-posters are Merchants/NTI players so you would be placed there. icon14.gif

Reserve List

1. McTavish

I've reserved a spot for McTavish as a sweetner to persuade him to make kits & logos for us. icon_wink.gif

Updates coming tonight (hopefully) including a rivals clash in the league and the strat of the final phase of world cup qualifying.

Capital City Merchants v Cove Bay Pirates, Dutch Premier Division

Date: 07.03.09

Venue: Capital City Stadium

Preview

The run up to this game saw Cove Bay still struggling in the relegation play-off spots and City Merchants safely in mid-table. The form book told a different story however as Cove Bay were undefeated in 5 games under new boss ten Cate (2 wins and 3 draws) whereas the Merchants hadn't won in 4 games with their last victory coming against rock bottom Heracles at the end of January. So with form and history on their side, would it be yet another win for Cove Bay against their bitter rivals? Or would today be the day the Merchnats finally broke their duck?

This is how they lined up. Again the Merchants fielded just three of our playersin the first XI, one of those being The Stig, who had made the shock move across the Islands at the start of the season. Cove Bay had 5 original players starting, including Adam Flash, meaning for the first time an NTI and an STI player would face off representing the other nation's club!

The Match

Cove Bay came out full of confidence. In form and expectant of another win, they created many of the early chances. Jason de Mire had several good chances and forced Jack Harrow into a couple of great saves early on. As usual, Craig Healy and Adam Flash were dominating the centre of the park. Merchants were creating fewer chances but generally looked more threatening and indeed, took the lead as one of this season's newbies, Ugur Yildirim, found the back of the net, 1-0. de Mire had another good chance before the break and seemed to be the Pirate's best chance of levelling the match. Unfortunately for him and his team, he picked up a knock after a rough challenge from turncoat The Stig and was subbed at half time. Having lost their main striker, Cove Bay were unable to get many shots on target in the second half. Yilidirm was in good form however and doubled the Merchants' lead on 55 minutes. After that, Cove Bay went all out attack but kept missing the target. The Merchants played it cool and ran down the clock to secure their first ever win against Cove Bay, 2-0!

Final Score: City Merchants 2 Cove Bay 0

Merchants Stats & Ratings

Cove Bay Stats & Ratings

Archived