[FM11] Crazy Canuck on Global Managerial Tour - This is the Big One!!!

rancer890

Euro 2024 - Hosts: England

Group A - Turkey, Serbia, Iceland, Scotland

Group B - France, Portugal, Croatia, Albania

Group C - Denmark, Italy, Wales, Belgium

Group D - Germany, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Austria, Sweden

Group E - Russia, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland

Group F - See for yourself!

Second Round

Turkey 2-1 Portugal

Czech Republic 1-0 Russia

France (e) 2-1 Croatia

England (e) 4-3 Wales

Serbia 3-1 Netherlands

Denmark 0-4 Spain

Germany 2-1 Ukraine

Bosnia & Herzegovina 3-2 Italy

Quarter-Final

Czech Republic 0-0 (p) Turkey

England 1-1 (p) France (and they missed another penalty in the 68th minute ;))

Serbia 0-3 Spain

Bosnia & Herzegovina 0-4 Germany

Semi-Final

Turkey (p) 0-0 Germany

France (e) 1-0 Spain

Final

Turkey 6-0 France

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rejected Roeselare. Too much debt and CoachFlu's performance in Belgium persuaded my decision. :p

That was a good call. :)

Especially in hindsight. Fun little intermezzo in Germany, and then on to a very interesting job at Shakhtar, I think. They tend to be quite decent in Europe, and trying to build them a squad that can win a trophy in Europe could be fun.

Good luck in Ukraine. :)

That was a good call. :)

Especially in hindsight. Fun little intermezzo in Germany, and then on to a very interesting job at Shakhtar, I think. They tend to be quite decent in Europe, and trying to build them a squad that can win a trophy in Europe could be fun.

Good luck in Ukraine. :)

Cheers Coach. I always fancied Belgium, but only at a big club.

Germany was a lot of fun, even though our constant struggles wasn't. It was a very stressful season and I'm happy to leave the club. :)

I hope I can do well in Europe with Shakhtar. Just looked at the schedule and we have no league games from December 8 to March 8...no wonder IRL Ukrainian clubs can't advance past the 1st Knockout Round...they're not playing competitive league matches! The only problem I have is a potential glut of foreigners since I can only play 7 of them at a time.

Seeing the Euro results in various threads has made me think the 24 nation tournament is a really bad idea! 3rd in qualifying and 3rd in the group stage could get a nation all the way to the knockout rounds - ridiculous!

They're copying the Gold Cup. 3rd place teams in the Gold Cup can advance to knockout rounds :p

But I agree that the 24 nation tournament really dilutes the competition.

Shaxtar_Donetsk.png

Shakhtar Donetsk - 2024 Summer Off-season transfers

Transfers

Lots of signings. I didn't make the ones before June 24th, but the previous manager made some good signings.

Mohammed Gad - signed from Egyptian powerhouse Zamalek. Looks decent although I wouldn't have bought him at that price

Leandro Bastianini - love the look of this signing

Artem Khomenko - I didn't loan him but he's not that bad. If he doesn't enough games I'll terminate the loan because he sure does make a lot...

Celso Ruiz Daz - hate this signing. I have no room to play him. Will probably attempt to sell him in January

Henrique - loaned from parent club Inter. I took him because I won't pay him anything and at worst he's just more (literally) free depth

Domingo Taffarel - signed from PSV on a free. I like him a lot more than Gad

Gabriel Plant - offered this player by his agent and Leverkusen wanted to offload him so I loaned him with a $2 million purchase option. Of course I'm not going to activate that clause because I'll be looking to sign him on a free in January if he impresses enough

Joaquim Marques - I said 'yes' to the loan because I don't have to pay any wages. More free depth FTW!

Silvio Mele - the big money transfer! I think he'll do fine at Shakhtar.

----

UEFA Champions League

Champions 3rd Qualifying Round | Champions Playoff Round | Group Stage

It's a challenging group, but every group is a challenge for Shakhtar tbh. Ideally I want Champions League Knockout Round, but I'll be happy just to finish at least 3rd.

Good luck for this season, you might need some to progress from that Champions League Group!

Made some decent signings especially the 2 MCs.

Cheers. So close yet so far though! More on that when I finish the season though.

Just here to post that since it's Chinese New Year today....新年快樂!!! :)

Loving the look of Mele. Surprised you got him to go to the Ukraine!

City offered him out to us. They also tried to unload their Ukrainian left back (who I wanted back) but they also wanted me to pay all 8 million of his wages which I was not prepared to do. :)

I think I'll be trying to get more Italians onto the squad because there's a lot of good ones that want to come to Ukraine and are inexpensive. :)

Shaxtar_Donetsk.png

Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukraine - EpiCentre Premyer-Liha

2024-2025 End of Season Review

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures 1 Fixtures 2 - Just a fantastic season. :)

Kubok Ukrainil - Winners - Straightforward path to the final, and although it wasn't as easy as the scoreline suggests, we did win.

UEFA Champions League - Group Stage Fixtures - A solid performance in the Champions League, but a bit gutted when we could have advanced if we either beat Marseille, or if Marseille didn't beat Barca...

UEFA Europa League - Fixtures - gutted to lose to Porto on away goals

Transfers -

Lots of transfers again! Here are the good ones

Mohammed Gad - decent season, not worth the buying price though, but he's a good player imo

Leandro Bastianini - good player but not worth his price tag

Domingo Taffarel - did well as a free signing

Henrique - really impressed me this season. I would like to have him back on loan next season

Silvio Mele - he's worth the price of admission

Denys Moskalenko - signing for the future. Has very good potential

Squad - A good squad of players (albeit a little overpaid). I rate Pavel Ivanov, Matteo Biondo, and Yuriy Perepelytsya. Ivanov and Perepelytsya are doubly valuable because they are Ukrainian.

Top Goalscorer - Domingo Taffarel

Top Playmaker - Yuriy Perepelytsya

Most Consistent Player - Silvio Mele

Most Valuable Player - Silvio Mele, because he never had a bad game all season

Awards

Finances: - Finances - we were entering debt but our chairman saved me with a $30 million cash injection :)

Affiliations: - Affiliations

If I had a wish...do well in the Champions League (make 1st Knockout Round)

Summary

Year        Team               Country       League           Position                      Notes and Info
2010-2011   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       3rd        Championship Playoff Winners
2011-2012   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       2nd      Championship Playoff Finalists
2012-2013   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       1st  NZFC Champions, O-League Champions
2013-2014   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       1st  NZFC Champions, O-League Champions
2014-2015   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       2nd  NZFC Finalists, O-League Champions
2016        Anhui Jiufang FC   China         Yi League             1st                 Yi League Champions
2017        Anhui Jiufang FC   China         Jia League            1st                Jia League Champions
2018        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          8th                                 N/A
2019        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          2nd                   ACL Qualification
2020        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          1st                   ACL Qualification
2021        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          1st                   ACL Qualification
2022        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          1st            ACL Winners, CWC Winners
2022-2023   FSV Frankfurt      Germany       3.Liga                5th                                 N/A
2023-2024   FSV Frankfurt      Germany       3.Liga                2nd                           Promotion
2024-2025   Shakhtar Donetsk   Ukraine       Premyer-Liha          1st    Domestic Double - League and Cup

Only 5 goals against!? That's an amazing defensive record, no wonder you had such a good season! Nice debut year with Shakhtar, here's hoping you can get the finances in check and push on in Europe :)

Cheers EvilDave. :)

As you can see, our defense is more than good enough in the Premyer-Liha, but we got ways to go in Europe. Need to improve that back line without breaking the bank. :)

I would prefer Champions League more just because of the money, although anything to improve the club and country coefficient is just as good. We're starting from the Champions 2nd qualifying round so we have a couple more games to play this year before we can advance to the group stages.

Shaxtar_Donetsk.png

2025-2026 Season Preview

Media Prediction: 1st

Estimated Value: $100 million (1st in Ukraine, 48th in the world)

EpiCentre Premyer-Liha Expectations: win it

UEFA Champions League Expectations: reach Group Stage

Kubok Ukraini: don't care

Inter Superkubok Ukraini: don't care

Transfer Budget: $48.5 million

Wage Budget: $77 million (currently spending $45,030,328)

Shaxtar_Donetsk.png

2025 Off-season Transfer Review

Transfers

Another moderately busy transfer window

Martin Graafland - loaned him partly because he's considered the next Rafael van der Vaart. Two year loan with a $3.5 million purchase option so I'll see what he can do

Bastien Langlois - he's been ok so far, but could be better...2 year loan with $5 million option for permanent purchase

Luis Botelho - 2 year loan from Manchester United, with a $7 million agreed fee. He's done very well so far

Rogerio - big free transfer from Juve. The Brazilian international doesn't have too expensive wages and I think he's a class player

Romain Andonian - a good signing on a free, but maybe it's a bit too much to have a $2.5 million salary as a bench option

Mykhaylo Yavorskyi - needed some Ukrainian options too for the HG quota, and he's young and good too

Alfredo Rossi - big money signing of the season here. I've been scouting him for 6 months and finally made a deal. I got high hopes with him.

Leaving the club were players who wanted 1st team football and made too much wages, or were surplus of requirements.

Finishing 3rd in the group isn't bad... :)

Which means another year in the Europa League 1st Knockout Round. Last year we only received a little more than $3 million in TV monies. And we face Barca again. :(

at least you get to beat some swiss young boys. we know you love that!

Hopefully! We have to beat them...not happy facing 2 league champions and a City team that's always stacked with good players.

September 14, 2025

Ukraine.gif

Ricky Nakano becomes the new national team manager of Ukraine. The first order of business is to find an ass man...

Second order of business is to win some games. We have no chance of winning our World Cup Quali group and slim chance of getting a playoff spot. Best case I get Ukraine to the Euros or the World Cup, worst case I actually learn some Ukrainian because I've only learnt Russian so far at Shakhtar... :)

First international job! :D Any stand out world class players? Is Shevchenko still being picked!? ;)

No World Class players. I could use another Shevchenko. :(

The best players are mostly from my Shakhtar team sadly. Or former Shakhtar players in other leagues. :D

This is going to be a tough job, because I can't naturalize players in Ukraine. The only way I could get players from outside Ukraine is if they're dual nationality like Russian/Ukrainian for example.

Really? Interesting. I presumed you could naturalise any player from any where. Every day's a school day! :D

It's the one major reason I'm trying to find playing time for all my foreigners at Shakhtar. All but two in my starting XI are Ukrainian. :)

Just catching up now - really nice move. I've also always had my eye on a move to the Ukraine, but I've never done it. Looking forward to seeing if you can build a team at Shakhtar capable of threatening the top teams in Europe!

Who else is in your qualifying group for the Ukraine national side?

Just catching up now - really nice move. I've also always had my eye on a move to the Ukraine, but I've never done it. Looking forward to seeing if you can build a team at Shakhtar capable of threatening the top teams in Europe!

Who else is in your qualifying group for the Ukraine national side?

We had Romania, Greece, Armenia, Latvia, and Liechtenstein in our group. Greece easily won the group, with Romania finishing 2nd. Ukraine finished 3rd and I won the first two games in charge, at Latvia and at Armenia.

What the heck is NEATH doing in the UCL group phase?? Quite an amazing result for an AI Welsh Premier League team! :eek:

They defeated Turnovo (FYR Macedonia) 3-3 (won on away goals) in the 2nd round, Maccabi Haifa (Israel) 2-1 in the 3rd round, and Sheriff (Moldova) in the Playoff to get to the group stage. :)

You should be surprised they even got a point, a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge. :)

Nice to see your doing well in Ukraine and have managed to keep it mainly homegrown :thup:

Looks like Neath are dominating Wales on your save as well, on mine they have won the league 7 times on the run and heading got an 8th although they have not made it to the champions playoff , let alone the group stages.

What, did Chelsea hire out to a travelling band of gypsies to play instead? <lol>

Btw: keep that Sheriff result in mind... [/foreshadowing]

Somewhere along the lines of that. They played their first team in the other game against Neath though and destroyed them. :D

Nice to see your doing well in Ukraine and have managed to keep it mainly homegrown :thup:

Looks like Neath are dominating Wales on your save as well, on mine they have won the league 7 times on the run and heading got an 8th although they have not made it to the champions playoff , let alone the group stages.

We're as far from homegrown as you can get. My starting XI has 10 foreign players, although we do have 6 U19 on either the Ukrainian U19s or Moldova U19s

I have also resigned from Ukraine, here are our results:

Oct. 11, 2025: at Latvia - W 1-0 (UEFA - WCQ)

Oct. 15, 2025: at Armenia - W 2-0 (UEFA - WCQ)

Nov. 15, 2025: at Georgia - D 2-2 (Friendly)

Nov. 19, 2025: vs Portugal - L 0-1 (Friendly)

I just found that international management was really boring so I resigned, but I did learn fluent Ukrainian, so at least I accomplished something with them. :)

Shaxtar_Donetsk.png

2025-2026 End of Season Review

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures 1 Fixtures 2 - Kyiv were tough all season but we won enough games to win the title again

Kubok Ukrainil - Winners - straightforward path although there was a little scare on penalties, but we won 2-0 in the final.

UEFA Champions League - Group Stage Fixtures - a bit disappointing to go out like that, but that's football

UEFA Europa League - Fixtures - solid run here, but we could have advanced to the next round if not for a last minute goal.

Transfers - improving the squad with proven, young, and domestic talent. Here are the ones who did well

Bastien Langlois - decent player and played well this season

Luis Botelho - a starter most of the season and did a very good job this season

Rogerio - fantastic free signing but some big clubs are monitoring him

Mykhaylo Yavorskyi - young Ukrainian talent with a good future

Alfredo Rossi - big summer signing that didn't disappoint

Squad 1 Squad 2 - Next year hopefully I will have a smaller squad, but I think we have a starting XI capable to doing well in Europe

Top Goalscorer - Domingo Taffarel

Top Playmaker - Silvio Mele

Most Consistent Player - Domingo Taffarel

Most Valuable Player - Taffarel because he broke club and league records for most goals scored in a season

Awards

Finances: - Finances

Affiliations: - Affiliations

If I had a wish...get an easier draw in the Champions League group stages... (I think we might be a 2nd seed, but I'm not sure)

Summary

Year        Team               Country       League           Position                      Notes and Info
2010-2011   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       3rd        Championship Playoff Winners
2011-2012   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       2nd      Championship Playoff Finalists
2012-2013   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       1st  NZFC Champions, O-League Champions
2013-2014   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       1st  NZFC Champions, O-League Champions
2014-2015   Auckland City FC   New Zealand   ASB Premiership       2nd  NZFC Finalists, O-League Champions
2016        Anhui Jiufang FC   China         Yi League             1st                 Yi League Champions
2017        Anhui Jiufang FC   China         Jia League            1st                Jia League Champions
2018        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          8th                                 N/A
2019        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          2nd                   ACL Qualification
2020        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          1st                   ACL Qualification
2021        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          1st                   ACL Qualification
2022        Henan Jianye FC    China         Super League          1st            ACL Winners, CWC Winners
2022-2023   FSV Frankfurt      Germany       3.Liga                5th                                 N/A
2023-2024   FSV Frankfurt      Germany       3.Liga                2nd                           Promotion
2024-2025   Shakhtar Donetsk   Ukraine       Premyer-Liha          1st    Domestic Double - League and Cup
2025-2026   Shakhtar Donetsk   Ukraine       Premyer-Liha          1st    Domestic Double - League and Cup

Two seasons...two titles and two cups :thup:. I guess domestically you don't have to worry so the Champions League is your next target?

My next target is to just keep improving the Ukrainian and club coefficient so the league winner can get an automatic spot and Shakhtar to be good enough to be a 2nd seed. Otherwise, we'll always be the 3rd best team in the group stages and dropping down to the Europa League knockout rounds. I'll give it a couple more seasons and see how we do.

Archived