Chile WC2010 Thread

UTT

Chile_football_association.png

Chile

aka La Roja (The Red One) or El Equipo de Todos (Everyone's Team)

Current FIFA Ranking = 13

Highest FIFA Ranking = 6 (Apr. 1998)

Current Coach = Marcelo Bielsa (ARG)

Qualifying

- CONMEBOL's surprise team perhaps

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts

Brazil 18 9 7 2 33 11 +22 34

Chile 18 10 3 5 32 22 +10 33

Paraguay 18 10 3 5 24 16 +8 33

Argentina 18 8 4 6 23 20 +3 28

Uruguay 18 6 6 6 28 20 +8 24

Ecuador 18 6 5 7 22 26 −4 23

Colombia 18 6 5 7 14 18 −4 23

Venezuela 18 6 4 8 23 29 −6 22

Bolivia 18 4 3 11 22 36 −14 15

Peru 18 3 4 11 11 34 −23 13

WC2010

Group H, with Spain, Switzerland and Honduras. A certainly manageable group, you would expect a win over Honduras, with a win over Switzerland a possibility

Squad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8677221.stm

Claudio Bravo (Real Sociedad), Miguel Pinto (Universidad de Chile), Luis Marin (Union Espanola);

Roberto Cereceda (Colo Colo), Pablo Contreras (PAOK), Ismael Fuentes (Universidad Catolica), Mauricio Isla (Udinese), Gary Medel (Boca Juniors), Gonzalo Jara (West Brom), Waldo Ponce (Universidad Catolica), Arturo Vidal (Bayer Leverkusen);

Charles Aranguiz (Colo Colo), Carlos Carmona (Reggina), Marco Estrada (Universidad de Chile), Matias Fernandez (Sporting Lisbon), Gonzalo Fierro (Flamengo), Jose Pedro Fuenzalida (Colo Colo), Manuel Iturra (Universidad de Chile), Rodrigo Millar (Colo Colo), Pedro Morales (Dinamo Zagreb), Rodrigo Tello (Besiktas), Jorge Valdivia (Al-Ain), Jaime Valdes (Atalanta);

Jean Beausejour (America), Mark Gonzalez (CSKA Moscow), Hector Mancilla (Toluca), Fabian Orellana (Xerez), Esteban Paredes (Colo Colo), Alexis Sanchez (Udinese), Humberto Suazo (Real Zaragoza)

Chile just so :cool:

Exactly. I like the grit of Medel, Isla and Vidal, and the silky skills of Matigol and Sanchez. Plus Suazo is a great finisher. My 2nd team of this WC

lol @ a win over Honduras guaranteed.

ironically this may be Honduras's easiest win if anything :D

Eh? Never said it was guaranteed so please take the time to read again. Chile, are a team that on paper, would be expected to come 2nd in their group. Seeings as they were 2nd in CONMEBOL, which is certainly a harder qualification stage than CONCACAF. Coupled with Chile's higher FIFA ranking than Honduras, you can see how they are favourites.

Obviously there are no easy games in the WC, but I firmly believe Chile will qualify. If you want to make an input to the discussion, then do, but don't try and claim that I have said things I didn't, thank you.

----

HoPeY - Medel and Vidal to be suspended at some point I think! :D

• 2 weeks later...

He's generally considered a decent player, probably won't be missed much because he didn't participate in the qualification campaign. He actually gets a lot more credit in Brazil because of his performances with Flamengo.

He's generally considered a decent player, probably won't be missed much because he didn't participate in the qualification campaign. He actually gets a lot more credit in Brazil because of his performances with Flamengo.

Thanks, and shame he doesn't get more credit in Chile. If he were Brazilian, it wouldn't be absurd to get him into our national team as he offers more than Josué and the likes.

He was awesome for Santos, São Paulo and Cruzeiro as well, and many people in Brazil consider him the ultimate defensive midfielder. :thup:

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone got any idea what Chile starting XI will be? How come Vidal hasn't been playing in the recent friendlies?

He likes 3-3-1-3, but played 4-2-1-3 last match

Bravo will start in goal,

Fernandez/Valdivia behind the front 3 of Sanchez, Gonzalez and Suazo

Defence/midfield not sure on...

He played 4 at the back vs N.Ireland - Vidal, Fuentes, Contreras & Cerecada; Isla & Estrada were selected there. Medel and Ponce could start as well

You have a great knowledge UTT, thanks.

Haha, thank you, but I do not. A bit of searching on the FIFA website found the recent lineups. Wait for one of the Chileans to drop in! :thup:

Pretty sure it will be Medel, Ponce and Jara at the back; fitness permitting. Then probably Carmona and Vidal in midfield alongside Matias Fernandez. Suazo and Sanchez pick themselves and Beausejour, Valdivia and Gonzalez will fight for the final two spots I would think. Beausejour featured regularly throughout qualifying but Valdivia has been very good of late.

This is just going off qualifying and friendlies so is just my best guess and I'm sure a Chilean can give a more accurate line-up aswell.

The starting XI will depend on what we go for eventually.

4-2-1-3:

Bravo in goal; Vidal, Contreras, Ponce, Medel in defence; Carmona, Isla/Beausejour, Fernández/Valdivia in midfield; González, Suazo, Sánchez up front.

3-3-1-3:

Bravo in goal; Vidal, Ponce, Medel in defence; Carmona, Isla/Beausejour, Millar, Fernández/Valdivia in midfield; González, Suazo, Sánchez up front.

Personally, I think Beausejour is better than Isla, Fernández has more raw talent than Valdivia but is suffering from his lack of first-team football and Orellana should be given a chance over González due to the latter's lack of scoring.

With 4 at the back the full backs would be Vidal and Medel. I don't recall Isla playing in defense much, he's usually a midfielder.

Jara is a good player, but the others are more reliable. He'll definitely see some action in South Africa though.

He was very good for us last season and it was a great shame he got injured. We used him as a defensive midfielder mostly but also at right back. I think he hadn't played in midfield before as well but you couldn't tell it was a new position for him.

Vidal would play left back, and I believe he isn't left footed. Shouldn't be too much of a burden, he's played well in that position so far.

On a side note, it was funny seeing Beausejour make a full turn with the ball right in front of the keeper so that he could hit it with his left foot. Sent it wide of course, but his reaction when he noticed he would have to otherwise hit it right-footed was priceless.

Suazo is an injury doubt for the first two games of the tournament :( I think Orellana can do a sufficient job in that role, and offers a slightly better option to Paredes, even though Paredes is more of a goalscorer. Fierro also offers the other option. Who do you guys think should replace Suazo?

Suazo is ruled out of the Honduras match, probably out for the one against Switzerland, will most likely be available against Spain.

Anyway, there are three options: Using Matías Fernández as playmaker and putting Jorge Valdivia as center forward; using Esteban Paredes; moving Alexis Sánchez to the middle with Orellana occupying his place on the right wing.

Personally, I think the second option is the best. Valdivia isn't a good forward, and Sánchez is too good on the wings to move him to the center, though he is capable. That leaves Paredes, whom offers more mobility compared to Suazo but isn't to my liking.

The press has reported the treatment has been approved by FIFA, so I don't think he'll have problems.

Ah right, last I had seen it was subject to investigations

He's likely to play a match, but he's lost his place to Valdivia. Probably in the squad only because of Bielsa's trust in him, since he's been showing little and nothing in the friendlies.

He hasn't scored a goal in a very long time, but he creates chances for others, is very fast and gives it everything he's got. Brave like no one, he's gotten injured several times playing for Chile.

He hasn't scored a goal in a very long time, but he creates chances for others, is very fast and gives it everything he's got. Brave like no one, he's gotten injured several times playing for Chile.

Thanks mate, was consdering him or Loderio of Uruguay for my dream team but after your view I think Gonzalez will get the nod - He is a first choice yeah?

Archived