[FM10] Fabio Crouchello - Taking England to South Africa 2010

crouchaldinho

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France is working through North American opponents pretty easily... you've lost to the eventual runner-up. I'm glad you've been given another chance to build the English squad and compete. It sounds like you've got some good new talent coming up.

I saw Peru in the group stages and was amazed... but to see them into the Semi Final? Wow. Inca POWER! Macchu BEAT-YOU!

Unlucky again crouchaldinho.

If it had not been Peru vs USA it would have been a good tournament but getting knocked out to see those two teams in the 3rd place game must hurt.

Well, I'm still in a job. I was intending on moving to a new nation if I was sacked and trying to win the World Cup or Euros with them. But now I can stay on and continue my dream to win it with England.

Time for me to start building for the future then and I have a new policy as I prepare for Euro qualifying for the 2016 tournament. There will be no over 30s in my squad in the qualifying phase.

The likes of Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, John Terry and so on have played their last games for England.

France is working through North American opponents pretty easily... you've lost to the eventual runner-up. I'm glad you've been given another chance to build the English squad and compete. It sounds like you've got some good new talent coming up.

Cheers Dankrzyz. I'm glad to still be England manager.

This was really a transitional tournament as I saw out the last of the old generation. Now I will have the chance to build a new England team, which should be quite exciting.

Unlucky again crouchaldinho.

If it had not been Peru vs USA it would have been a good tournament but getting knocked out to see those two teams in the 3rd place game must hurt.

Ultimately, I brought it on myself RichG. If we had been better in qualifying, our route could have been much more comfortable. :(

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

UEFA European Football Championship 2016 Qualification Group G

Here is our group for Euro 2016 qualifying:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Kazakhstan |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Latvia     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 3rd   |       | Wales      |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 4th   |       | England    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 5th   |       | Denmark    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

More group stage action with Denmark. They're becoming a familiar foe, it seems. Euro qualifying groups are shocking to look at after reading World Cup results... a pushover group if I ever saw one! (No disrespect to Wales.) Looks like plenty of opportunity for your youngesters to cut their teeth on the international stage.

Unlucky with the competitions crouchaldinho, but I'm glad you kept your job to try again :)

Thanks Brambleten. I'm pretty hopeless at knock-out tournaments to be honest. I rarely win any cups on FM. I pride myself on being a bit of a master in the lower leagues - a non-League wizard if you will. If you want to get out of the Blue Square South or win the Italian Serie C2 then I'm your man. ;) However, I've never won a Euro or World Cup on FM so I'm determined to do it on this save, even if I have to leave England to achieve it!

come on Wales win that group give us hope for the future lol

You must have been loving that result during Euro 2012 Qualifying then! :o

More group stage action with Denmark. They're becoming a familiar foe, it seems. Euro qualifying groups are shocking to look at after reading World Cup results... a pushover group if I ever saw one! (No disrespect to Wales.) Looks like plenty of opportunity for your youngesters to cut their teeth on the international stage.

Yes, and Wales again. Time to get my revenge for the most embarrassing result of my international management career!

The key thing now is to try to build a squad for the next two tournaments and, as you say, it's time to make sure that I give the new guys on the scene some playing time. Hopefully that way, I can get good team gelling for the future, which will certainly help in the long run.

Cheers Fabio MVP. Very kind of you to say so.

I've been neglecting my other threads a bit lately. I was supposed to be playing my calcio save more often but this England save just ticks along really nicely as something I can easily pick up and play quickly. It's also kind of addictive to keep falling short at the tournaments. Frustrating but addictive!

Cheers Fabio MVP. Very kind of you to say so.

I've been neglecting my other threads a bit lately. I was supposed to be playing my calcio save more often but this England save just ticks along really nicely as something I can easily pick up and play quickly. It's also kind of addictive to keep falling short at the tournaments. Frustrating but addictive!

No problem. Just KUTGW. :thup:

International Friendly - England 3 - 1 Paraguay

Line-ups

Overview, Match Details & Player Ratings

And so the new era begins with a fairly decent 3-1 win at Wembley.

I decided to stick with the 4-2-3-1 and to experiment with a very young squad.

In the end, this was a very comfortable win. I've realised, however, that there is quite a long way to go in building up a new England side. It's going to be a slow building process over the next couple of years.

International Friendly - Italy 1 - 0 England

Line-ups

A chance for the young Three Lions to test themselves against the current World and European Champions!

They didn't really cover themselves in glory. It was a defensive display and Italy were far superior in terms of possession.

I decided to go with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 for the first-half and later switched to 4-4-2 so I could have a look at Frazier Campbell up front with Rooney.

We were in this game though right up until the end. Wayne Rooney spurned a chance to make it 1-1 when he missed an open goal in the last few minutes.

The average age of the squad has come down by a few years and the average caps is down to 19 caps, with Wayne Rooney's 108 pushing that up somewhat! It's a very young and inexperienced team, so I'm not too unhappy with this result.

Fabio Crouchello's Road to Italy (Euro 2016 Qualifying)

It all starts here and we face Denmark away, before going up against Wales at home, in our first two games!

Team gelling is going to be key as we are currently at the 'not yet developed an understanding' phase, which is not good.

The media are questioning my 'inexperienced squad' selection. It's going to be tough from the off but I have confidence in my managerial abilities. ;)

Euro 2016 Quals Group G- Denmark 1 - 1 England

Line-ups

Not the best performance to be honest and we were slightly fortunate to come away with the draw. But we got the point and that's all that matters really.

I went with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. In the second-half I ended up switching to 4-2-3-1 with two holders to try to bolster the midfield and give us more presence. Then, when we ended up going behind, I went to 4-2-4 and was rewarded when Aaron Lennon scored the equaliser in the 90th minute.

It's a great result for us as they will no doubt be the main challengers in this group and I have every confidence that we can beat them at home.

Euro 2016 Quals Group G- England 2 - 0 Wales

Line-ups

This was a chance to get revenge for the embarrassing defeat during World Cup qualifying (the lowest point of my international career so far) and in the end it was very comfortable, which was pleasing.

I went 4-4-2 for this one with Baines coming in at left-back, Mattock going to left midfield, Delph coming into the centre of the park and Walcott starting up front with Rooney.

A Rooney wonder goal got us off to a good start and then second-half substitute Frazier Campbell was the man to get the second and kill off the game.

Acidburn is going to love this. Sunderland finished 3rd last season in the Premier League. They have been slowly improving each season, finishing 8th, 6th and now 3rd. Frazier Campbell and Darren Bent have formed a good partnership up front and are cracking in the goals. The only downer is that they are crap in Europe this season.

International Friendly - England 2 - 0 Japan

Line-ups

Our ability to keep possession here was quite appalling but nevertheless this was a comfortable win.

I adopted a 4-1-3-2 formation and decided to field an experimental line-up. It was a very inexperienced line-up. The aim of today was basically to get some of the youngsters some playing time and to try to increase the team gelling.

Anyway, the big story was the emergence of Henry Kumar, who announced himself on the International stage with a brace. A Manchester United youth product, Kumar was actually born in Bangalore, India. He has only played 5 games for Manchester United but I decided to call him in and give him a go in the first-team alongside Rooney up front.

Alan Shearer, my assistant, tells me that Kumar is not far off having the potential to be better than Wayne Rooney. At the moment, however, he is not quite England quality and has some development to come before he will be a regular starter. He is a tall striker, decent in the air, with good anticipation. A hard working player who has a pretty lethal finishing ability. Definitely one for the future.

Anyway, this friendly was our last match of 2014. It's been a mixed year but I feel that we are now heading in the right direction again.

Euro 2016 Qualifiers Group G Standings (end of 2014):

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[b]| 1st   |       | England    |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 4     |[/b] 
| 2nd   |       | Kazakhstan |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | Wales      |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 4     | +2    | 4     | 
| 4th   |       | Denmark    |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 4     | 
| 5th   |       | Latvia     |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 2     | 8     | -6    | 0     | 

Unlucky crouchaldinho, you seem to beat Spain alot what was their formation? You seem to do bad in finals and knockout stages for some bizarre reason :confused: ! Did you watch the finals although you don't participate? Call me sad but when I was managing Arsenal I think, it came to July and I watched France vs England because they'd made the final and actually watched it full match in 3d! England lost though :(. Hope you keep your job :thup:

Unlucky crouchaldinho, you seem to beat Spain alot what was their formation?

Spain play 4-1-4-1.

You seem to do bad in finals and knockout stages for some bizarre reason :confused: !

I do all right in knock-out stages. I've only lost once in the knock-out rounds outside the finals and that was France in the last World Cup.

It's the finals I don't do well in. Lost two in a row. Outside of this save, I've also struggled in play-off finals with St. Albans City and with Carrarese and Hellas Verona. Finals are not my forte!

Did you watch the finals although you don't participate? Call me sad but when I was managing Arsenal I think, it came to July and I watched France vs England because they'd made the final and actually watched it full match in 3d! England lost though :(. Hope you keep your job :thup:

I don't watch the finals, no! Don't tempt me! ;)

International Friendly - Argentina 0 - 0 England

Line-ups

A good result and a match we really could have won, such was our superiority in terms of chances.

I put out my strongest XI in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 shape and was pleased to see us dominate the early stages of the game. What I really like about the squad I am building is that we have some very versatile and effective midfielders, and we can easily adopt different formations as required. Today, we switched to 4-2-3-1 and ended the game playing a 4-4-1-1 shape.

I was very pleased with this performance from a still young and inexperienced squad. We are still a work in progress but obviously progressing well.

Really enjoying reading this thread Crouchy. KUTGW.

Would it be possible to see screenshots of the regens coming through into your squad as the game progresses, such as McDonald, Kumar etc? :)

Thanks! Yes, I'll be sure to include some newgen screenshots as they come through and start getting into the first XI! :thup:

I wonder how Fabio would be treated should this mirror real life..?

Interesting one that. I think Fabio Crouchello would have been well respected after taking England to two finals. However, I think he would be under a little pressure now. He has taken them backwards. The dodgy end to the World Cup qualifying campaign, and the quarter-final exit, would no doubt have some people doubting. I suppose Fabio Crouchello is more or less still living off the two finals of 2010 and 2012.

Really enjoying this thread. KUTGW :thup:

Thanks! :)

I just went for the default (automatic) reputation.

Loaded top leagues of England, Spain, Italy with a large database and retained current international players and players from top clubs from all continents. I set it up like this because I thought I would make this an International save where I could possibly move to different nations. I wanted to start out with England though, obviously!

Setting it up this way also means that every nation is properly competitive and that all teams in the tournaments have proper player pools and no grey players.

It would be nice to manage a nation from each continent in the end and maybe try to have some success with each of them but to be honest, my main ambition is to win something with England! :D

Euro 2016 Qualifiers Group G - Kazakhstan 1 - 3 England

Line-ups

Played the 4-4-2 for this match, which we expected to win comfortably. In the end, it was a fairly good performance, but Tom Huddlestone's sending off made things a tiny bit trickier than I had hoped. Nevertheless, we got the three points, which was the object of the exercise.

Onwards and upwards!

International Friendly - England 2 - 1 Egypt

Line-ups

I fielded an extremely experimental side in a 4-4-2 for this friendly match at Wembley.

In came a couple of newgen youngsters for their debuts up front. David Sargent and Antony Judge are two highly rated youngsters in terms of potential and I thought I would give them a chance in a target man and poacher combination up front. They didn't exactly shine unfortunately but they are clearly ones for the future.

Paul Reeves was the biggest story of this match. He has started getting better now and I brought him in to play on the left during the first-half. Second half, I decided to switch to 4-4-1-1 and have a look at him in the 'Gerrard role' behind a lone striker (Frazier Campbell in this case). He looked very promising indeed. :)

Overall, we won the game and played pretty well, so that was pleasing. I'm not sure quite how useful the experiment was other than to give some of the youngsters some playing time.

England's future?

This trio of players look certain to play a big part in England's future:

Paul Reeves - A versatile midfielder, most obviously suited to playing wide left or behind the striker as AMC. He's only 18 so has lots of development to come but looks to be heading the right way.

Jamie O'Sullivan - Another versatile player. I'll be looking for some big improvement in terms of his movement, as well as some of his technical stats, before he starts to regularly feature but he certainly makes a solid utility player for now.

Richard McDonald - Can play wide left or in the middle. A pretty decent player already but looking for some obvious improvement from him.

Those are the main newgens at the moment. Still looking out for a wonder kid!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers Group G - Wales 1 - 2 England

Line-ups

I got my revenge over Wales by doing the double over them.

A bit of a defensive injury crisis before the game had me on my toes in preparing for this match. I decided to stick with the 4-4-2 and swapped things around at the back to cover for missing players.

It wasn't our best performance and it was a lot closer than I had hoped in the end but ultimately we got the all important win and that's all that matters.

Euro 2016 Qualifiers Group G Standings (October 2015):

[b]| 1st   | Pl    | England    |       | 6     | 5     | 1     | 0     | 17    | 3     | +14   | 16    | [/b]
| 2nd   |       | Denmark    |       | 6     | 4     | 1     | 1     | 14    | 5     | +9    | 13    | 
| 3rd   |       | Wales      |       | 7     | 3     | 1     | 3     | 11    | 10    | +1    | 10    | 
| 4th   |       | Kazakhstan |       | 7     | 2     | 1     | 4     | 8     | 19    | -11   | 7     | 
| 5th   |       | Latvia     |       | 6     | 0     | 0     | 6     | 3     | 16    | -13   | 0     | 

We are in a great position with a key game coming up next.

We face Denmark at Wembley in a showdown in which we could confirm our qualification for Euro 2016.

I'm going to make my own thread after being inspired by this managing Belgium! You might know they never qualified in real life but have 4 games to go and are 5 points off second so it's going to be difficult. Anyway, good job on getting through (I doubt Wales will score 13 goals!) crouchaldinho and good luck against Denmark :).

I'm going to make my own thread after being inspired by this managing Belgium!

Sounds good! :)

Anyway, good job on getting through (I doubt Wales will score 13 goals!) crouchaldinho and good luck against Denmark :).

I need to finish top to go through automatically. Second place is the play-offs so the Denmark game will be important.

Archived