[FM10] Crouchy's Calcio Journeyman Save

crouchaldinho

This is turning into a great journey. It feels like so much more than just a Football Manager game. I mean, we're now posting cityscapes! Awesome.

Chuffed you got the Verona job.

I always thought Chievo were the bigger of the two Verona clubs, probably because of the levels they compete at. I'm sure when I was a kid Verona were in Serie A, though, and Chievo were in Serie B.

Best of luck, Crouchy. I know it's early days but... where do you want to end up next?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just catching up here and it's great to see that you got your dream job. Good luck forging the path to Serie A!

Thanks DodgeeD. :thup:

Well it only took you 2 minutes to let us know, good luck Crouchy.

Yes, didn't take me long. :D

I'm stuck in with a nasty cold this evening :( so making the most of a bad situation to get some FM time in.

This is turning into a great journey. It feels like so much more than just a Football Manager game. I mean, we're now posting cityscapes! Awesome.

Yes, I think it adds a little something.

Sad as this might sound, I'm always very much involved in my save, imagining myself settling in the town or city etc. and reading the history on Wikipedia.

Chuffed you got the Verona job.

I always thought Chievo were the bigger of the two Verona clubs, probably because of the levels they compete at. I'm sure when I was a kid Verona were in Serie A, though, and Chievo were in Serie B.

Hellas Verona are very much the bigger club historically. Chievo have always had very weak support and no recognised 'Ultras' as most Italian clubs have.

Hellas tend to have a higher average attendance than any club in Serie B in real life. Hellas Verona fans accuse Chievo fans of stealing Hellas' colours, name, and stadium. The Hellas fans apparently claimed that 'donkeys would fly before Chievo made it to Serie A'. However, with the recent successes of Chievo, and the fact that Hellas Verona have had struggles in Serie B and Serie C1, Chievo fans have now largely embraced the nickname mussi volanti (flying donkeys) as a badge of honour. :D

Best of luck, Crouchy. I know it's early days but... where do you want to end up next?

I really want to end up in the capital managing Roma. That's my ultimate aim.

I'd also like to end up managing the Italian national team if possible!

Long way off though.

I love Roma. Managed them myself on FM09. It's the only time I can look back on extended success with a save on FM. I won everything with them. I did win the Champions League with Panathinaikos once, but the Roma save was the one save where I created something enduring.

I also love Rome. I'd move there if I could..

Sorry, I'm rather hijacking your thread.

My only minor complaint is that I prefer screenshots to the inserted tables. I find they black text on grey and the large gaps and the scroll bars a bit unwieldy. But that's a criticism of the forum software rather than your layout, Crouchy!

Would it maybe be better with embedded screenshots instead Mike? They might be too big though (or too small if I reduce their size to fit in a post) and take a long time to load up. Any advice on this?

I quite liked the inserted tables for the league table and the squad stats as you can quickly see where I am and what's going on without clicking on any links. I intended to use both text tables and screenshots with the latter mostly coming in the end of season update.

Has anyone else got an opinion on the text tables? If others find them annoying too then I will consider changing. :)

Wow top stuff Crouchy. Great to see you move and not only that but to move to the preferred Project 2 club :thup:. Love their nickname of the Mastiffs. Excellent. Also pleased to see the flying donkeys anecdote come in as that was something I remembered fondly from Calcio :D

Would it maybe be better with embedded screenshots instead Mike? They might be too big though (or too small if I reduce their size to fit in a post) and take a long time to load up. Any advice on this?

I quite liked the inserted tables for the league table and the squad stats as you can quickly see where I am and what's going on without clicking on any links. I intended to use both text tables and screenshots with the latter mostly coming in the end of season update.

Has anyone else got an opinion on the text tables? If others find them annoying too then I will consider changing. :)

It's not a biggie. Probably just a personal thing. I've never liked the look of the grey boxes embedded in posts. But it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of your thread any so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hellas Verona \o/

That's a mighty good job in my books! Decent club structure, massive fanbase and a decent city population to back the club should you manage to rise through the divisions.

Yes, you are totally right. It's a big club for me. Sort of like being at a top Serie B club really. A totally different experience to Carrarese so far! I think I have everything here to go very far so let's hope that I can be successful. :D

Wow top stuff Crouchy. Great to see you move and not only that but to move to the preferred Project 2 club :thup:. Love their nickname of the Mastiffs. Excellent. Also pleased to see the flying donkeys anecdote come in as that was something I remembered fondly from Calcio :D

Yes iacovone, I finally got the move I wanted all along! I didn't think it was going to happen but I'm delighted that by a quirk of fate, I have managed to land this job. It's got me really addicted to this save again because the challenge of rebuilding Verona is an excellent one.

I'm hoping to be the new Osvaldo Bagnoli. :D

(By the way, I have finished Behind the Curtain. We must speak about that some time soon!)

It's not a biggie. Probably just a personal thing. I've never liked the look of the grey boxes embedded in posts. But it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of your thread any so I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, I think I'll continue to use them for league tables and player stats but I'll also try to bring in more screenshots occasionally. How does that sound?

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR DECEMBER AND JANUARY 2014/2015:

Hellas Verona 1 - 0 Foggia (Serie C1/A)

I immediately went out and signed two former Carrarese players. Deep-lying playmaker Nicholas Constantini (who was understudy to Daniel Philliskirk) and veteran attacking midfielder Nicolas Cordova were both available on a free and I wasted no time in snapping them up.

This match fell on the same day as my 32nd birthday and I must say that I was delighted to get the three points as a birthday present. :D

We played really well and deserved to win the game. It was the two new boys, the ex-Carrarese players, who won us the game. Cordova, now 35 and quite incapable of staying on the pitch for more than 60 minutes, set up Costantini who drove a long range shot into the back of the net.

Hellas Verona scorers: Nicholas Costantini.

Hellas Verona MoM: Nicholas Costantini.

Gela 1 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

I was hoping for so much more against the relegation candidates but to be honest we were poor. A draw was probably a good result for us although we may have edged it on chances, especially during the second-half.

They got an early lead and we had to go on the attack during the second-half. My squad was pretty short of quality and I ended up putting three central midfield players on the bench due to the fact that I was lacking quality in other positions. In the end, I switched to 4-3-2-1 in order to best use the players available to me. The switch paid off as we got an equaliser in the 84th minute.

Hellas Verona scorers: Marco Giovio.

Hellas Verona MoM: Veteran attacking midfielder Nicolas Cordova.

JANUARY TRANSFER NEWS:

For the first time in my career, I had money to spend! A massive £5m, believe it or not!

I spent the transfer window basically plundering Carrarese for some of my old players. I feel a little guilty because I’ve essentially bought nearly all of Carrarese’s best players but I paid some good money to my old club who should get some benefit from that.

You can see my transfers here: http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/Crouchaldinho_SACFC/HellasVerona.png

I was delighted to be able to bring in the likes of defensive midfielder Albert Cano, fullback Francesco Zarini and winger Andrea Bracaletti. However, the headline transfers were two big names from my Carrarese days: Striker Umberto Eusepi and attacking midfielder Wilker. I spent £1m on each of these players! :eek: I figured it was worth it though, as Eusepi basically guarantees 20+ goals a season and Wilker is a class act capable of more than shining at this level.

In total, I spent £4.1m bringing in 12 new players. I also let 10 players go, either by selling or free transferring them, and brought in a rather more modest £300k. For the first time in my career, I had spent more than I had brought in. The pressure is now on to get it right at Hellas Verona!

Arriving at the club, I was surprised to find that one of my Carrarese players was already here. That was fullback Riccardo Colombo. I added another 10 players who played under me at Dei Marmi, bringing the total to 11. There is a strong link to Carrarese seeing as I also signed up as many of my old coaches as I could find, along with my old assistant manager.

Two players I really wanted to bring to Verona were the deep-lying playmaker Daniel Philliskirk and the attacking midfielder who ‘could be the next Andrea Pirlo', Davide Vangi. Unfortunately, Philliskirk had already moved to Parma (now in Serie B) for £1.3m. I did make an offer but I couldn’t get him to drop down to C1 level. Davide Vangi, on the other hand, has been sort of sold (if that’s the word I want) under the co-ownership scheme to Brescia, so that he is now half owned by them and half by Carrarese. I tried my best to bring the young prodigy to Verona but I couldn’t afford to buy out both halves of his contract. I have him on my shortlist though and I will make another offer in the summer if I have the money to do so.

I feel that we are strong now but we also have very low team gelling (no wonder, seeing as I practically signed a new first XI). A number of players also have low fitness and I think it will take quite a few games to find our rhythm. As a result, I’m not expecting too much from the rest of this season. I want us to pull ourselves back up into a safe position in the league and then next season we will have to be challenging for promotion with the money I have spent!

It’s all very different here at the Bentegodi. I have had lots of money to spend and the Danish board have already accepted my request to improve the youth facilities. :eek: I’m just not used to this kind of well run football club!

In other news, Nicholas Costantini was named as my new captain and Albert Cano as my new vice-captain. A new era has started at the Bentegodi!

Modena 3 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

A disappointment against the promotion favourites.

To be honest, we weren’t ever really in the game. An indication of how poor we were is the fact that our goalkeeper was named man of the match and we still conceded three goals.

Not a very encouraging performance.

Hellas Verona scorers: Marco Giovio.

Hellas Verona MoM: Polish goalkeeper Pawel Linka.

Hellas Verona 1 – 2 Cittadella (Serie C1/A)

If there is one thing I hate, it is losing at home. If there is another thing that I hate, it is losing when you’ve been in a position to win the match. We did both of these things here which might explain why I am so very angry.

We dominated the game and made more chances, which leaves me wondering how we ended up losing this. Everything seemed to be going well when we found ourselves 1-0 up through ex-Carrarese winger Leandro Greco. However, the opposition were awarded two very dodgy penalties in each half and ended up winning the match in the last ten minutes.

After the game, I complained about the referee in the press conference and the Italian FA were silent on the matter. Grrrrrrr!

Hellas Verona scorers: Leandro Greco.

Hellas Verona MoM: Leandro Greco.

Piacenza 0 – 0 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

A much improved performance and a decent point earned against the promotion hopefuls. This was more like it! We were equal to them, defended decently and kept the ball well too.

However, I am a little concerned by the lack of goals at the moment. We seem to be having trouble finding the back of the net. I suppose it will all come in good time.

Hellas Verona scorers: Left-back Francesco Zarini.

Hellas Verona MoM: Francesco Zarini.

Manager Comments for December and January:

5 games in all and only 5 points recorded but considerable progress made, I feel. We halted a bad run of form by beating Foggia in my first game at the club and ever since that we have proved difficult to beat, bar the disappointing outing at Modena.

It’s going to take time though, of course, for the players to find their feet at a new club and for the team to gel. In the first eleven, there are only three players (goalkeeper Pawel Linka, right-back Riccardo Colombo and centre-back Luca Ceccarelli) who were at the club before I joined. Everyone else is a new signing!

I’m pleased with the work in the transfer window and I feel that when we do find our rhythm, we can be fairly confident of progress at Bentegodi!

Forza gialloblu!

For mid-season updates, I prefer the text tables. As you say, it gives a quick glance at what's going on. I'm not a fan of embedded screen shots due to the time it takes for some pages to load up (especially when I'm having a quick sneaky look at my iTouch while at work ;)).

END OF JAN 2015 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 15th  |       | Foggia     |       | 20    | 5     | 5     | 10    | 16    | 23    | -7    | 20    | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Arezzo     |       | 20    | 4     | 7     | 9     | 16    | 28    | -12   | 19    | 
[b]| 17th  |       | Verona     |       | 20    | 4     | 6     | 10    | 16    | 28    | -12   | 18    |[/b] 
| 18th  |       | Gela       |       | 20    | 2     | 4     | 14    | 12    | 37    | -25   | 10    | 

First Team Squad Statistics:

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                 | Position     | Apps  | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| GK    | Tut   | Pawel Linka          | GK           | 13 (1)| -     | -     | 1     | 7.09  | 28    | POL   | £170K | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| DR    | Unh   | Riccardo Colombo     | D/WB/M R     | 21    | 1     | 1     | 2     | 7.21  | 32    | ITA   | £190K | 
| DL    | PR    | Francesco Zarini     | D/WB L       | 3     | -     | -     | -     | 7.10  | 26    | ITA   | £75K  | 
| DC    | Tut   | Luca Ceccarelli      | D RC         | 26    | -     | -     | -     | 6.81  | 31    | ITA   | £65K  | 
| DC    | Rsv   | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | D C          | 3     | -     | -     | -     | 6.63  | 28    | POL   | £50K  | 
| DMC   | Tut   | Albert Cano          | DM, M C      | 3     | -     | -     | -     | 6.80  | 31    | ESP   | £500K | 
| DMC   | Unh   | Nicholas Costantini  | DM, M C      | 5     | 1     | -     | 1     | 7.12  | 25    | ITA   | £80K  | 
| AMR   | Unh   | Kevin                | AM RC        | 3 (1) | -     | -     | -     | 6.92  | 22    | ESP   | £170K | 
| AML   | Rsv   | Leandro Greco        | AM LC        | 3     | 1     | 1     | -     | 7.17  | 28    | ITA   | £400K | 
| AMC   |       | Nicolás Córdova      | AM C         | 5     | -     | 3     | -     | 6.90  | 35    | CHI   | £2.5K | 
| ST    | Rsv   | Umberto Eusepi       | AM L, ST     | 3     | -     | -     | -     | 6.87  | 26    | ITA   | £1M   | 
| S1    | Rsv   | Cristian Ruggeri     | GK           | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 21    | ITA   | £5K   | 
| S2    | Rsv   | Marco Giuliani       | D C, DM, M C | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 19    | ITA   | £625K | 
| S3    | Rsv   | Julio                | D C, DM, M C | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 27    | ESP   | £14K  | 
| S4    | Rsv   | Tom Culshaw          | DM, M C      | 0 (3) | -     | -     | -     | 6.80  | 20    | ENG   | £900K | 
| S5    | Rsv   | Andrea Bracaletti    | AM RLC       | 0 (3) | -     | -     | -     | 6.67  | 32    | ITA   | £45K  | 
| S6    | Rsv   | Víctor Bravo         | AM L         | 21 (3)| -     | 4     | 3     | 7.40  | 31    | ESP   | £100K | 
| S7    | Rsv   | Dag Alexander Olsen  | F C          | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 25    | NOR   | £50K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giuseppe Russo       | M C          | 18 (2)| -     | -     | -     | 6.79  | 31    | ITA   | £55K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giuseppe Pugliese    | D/WB L       | 9     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7.09  | 31    | ITA   | £350K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Wilker               | AM/F C       | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 27    | BRA   | £1M   | 
| -     | Rsv   | Luca Gerbaudo        | AM R         | 16    | 1     | 1     | -     | 6.59  | 24    | ITA   | £6K   | 
| -     | Rsv   | David Cudini         | D C          | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 19    | ITA   | £575K | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club are currently sitting in 20th position in Serie B with 26 points from 25 games. They are level on points with Cremonese and only their goal difference is keeping them from a safe position.

For mid-season updates, I prefer the text tables. As you say, it gives a quick glance at what's going on. I'm not a fan of embedded screen shots due to the time it takes for some pages to load up (especially when I'm having a quick sneaky look at my iTouch while at work ;)).

Thanks for that DodgeeD. I agree with you regarding embedded screenshots. I'm not all that keen. I think the text boxes look fairly good although I understand what Mike means. I'll be sticking with them for the mid-season table and stats updates.

Your post refers to Carrarese scorers and Carrarese MOTM. I assume you mean Hellas Verona?

Yes, I do. :o

Corrected now. Thanks Mike! :)

Our attendances this season tell you everything you need to know about the size of this club. We're getting 10,701 average attendance in Serie C1, which is the highest at this level by some distance. It is also higher than Chievo in Serie B and, in fact, higher than most of Serie B! In Serie B, as a comparison, Carrarese are getting an average of 5,151. While I was there, we were getting an average of 7,111 last season.

This is the Stadio Marc Antonio Bentegodi, which holds 39,211:

1116974.jpg

I should have added to my post detailing the January transfers above that I also signed Tom Culshaw, a 20-year-old English defensive midfielder, from Carrarese. It was always my hope while I was at Dei Marmi that he might be the next Daniel Philliskirk and now he might well have the chance seeing as I couldn't get the original to come to Verona! :D He will be back up to Nicholas Costantini, who is my first choice for deep-lying playmaker.

It's nice to see you managing Hellas Verona, I hope you could bring back Osvaldo Bagnoli days, when they won "serie A" with players like Briegel, Fanna, Elkjaer, Tricella, De Agostini "nanu" Galderisi etc...

Good luck..I will follow this.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Congratulations on getting the Hellas job Crouchy must be a dream come true, the future derby's with Chievo in the coming seasons will be pretty explosive.:cool:

Yes, it's a great job to have and perfect for this stage of my career. I'm looking forward to a nice long reign at the Bentegodi. I hope that's the case anyway!

That's a really good record Crouchy. Anything around the 45% win mark with lower league sides is good in my book!

Thanks iacovone. I was pleased. :D

It's nice to see you managing Hellas Verona, I hope you could bring back Osvaldo Bagnoli days, when they won "serie A" with players like Briegel, Fanna, Elkjaer, Tricella, De Agostini "nanu" Galderisi etc...

Good luck..I will follow this.

I hope I can too! Thanks for following! :thup:

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR FEBRUARY 2015:

Hellas Verona 2 - 1 Catanzaro (Serie C1/A)

A great win for us as we finally started to show a bit of potential. We kept the ball well and made chances. This looked more like a Crouchaldinho side. :D

We were shocked and somewhat unlucky to find ourselves 1-0 down in the first 10 minutes but we fought back admirably.

A cracking free-kick from Nicolas Cordova got us back in it. This is why he is in the team. It really was a stunning goal. Then Umberto Eusepi scored a great goal of his own to win the match. A very good result, which I hope might give us a bit of momentum.

Hellas Verona scorers: Nicolas Cordova and Umberto Eusepi.

Hellas Verona MoM: Nicolas Cordova.

Ravenna 1 – 0 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

Very, very frustrating. A single goal wins a very even match and we just simply didn’t deserve to leave empty handed.

We kept the ball well, made as much as them and should really have got a point. We have yet to reach the level where games like this, which are very tight and even, can be seen out and a point taken or possibly more. It will come eventually, I hope, and I have to remember that we are just at the beginning.

Hellas Verona scorers: None.

Hellas Verona MoM: Left-back Francesco Zarini.

Hellas Verona 1 – 0 Arezzo (Serie C1/A)

It was important to beat the relegation candidates in order to do some catching up with the teams above us.

This was a really great performance and how we only won by the one goal, I’ll never know. The important thing is that we got the three points.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi.

Hellas Verona MoM: Andrea Bracaletti.

Hellas Verona 1 – 2 Pescara (Serie C1/A)

Hugely, hugely, hugely disappointing. I hate losing at home. :mad:

We were very poor first-half and that was when the damage was done and we found ourselves 2-0 down. Second-half, we came back strongly and Andrea Bracaletti put us back in it. We just couldn’t find an equaliser though.

On the balance of the play, we deserved a point, and it is massively disappointing to lose like this. After the game, I found that my team talk had demotivated my players.

Hellas Verona scorers: Winger Andrea Bracaletti.

Hellas Verona MoM: Andrea Bracaletti.

Manager Comments for February:

6 points from 4 games isn’t really enough for a big club like ours. I am disappointed and any naive notion I had that I was going to waltz in at the Bentegodi and save the day immediately has now gone.

I’m most unhappy with the loss at home against Pescara, which is my second home loss as manager of Verona. My teams simply do not lose at home. It’s unacceptable.

I’m sure that we have enough to pull ourselves out of trouble but turning around our home form and making the Bentegodi into a fortress is going to be key to our fortunes.

END OF FEB 2015 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 14th  |       | Como       |       | 24    | 6     | 8     | 10    | 24    | 34    | -10   | 26    | 
| 15th  |       | Foggia     |       | 24    | 6     | 7     | 11    | 23    | 29    | -6    | 25    | 
[b]| 16th  |       | Verona     |       | 24    | 6     | 6     | 12    | 20    | 32    | -12   | 24    | [/b]
| 17th  |       | Arezzo     |       | 24    | 5     | 7     | 12    | 20    | 32    | -12   | 22    | 
| 18th  |       | Gela       |       | 24    | 3     | 5     | 16    | 17    | 44    | -27   | 14    | 

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                 | Position     | Apps  | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value | 
| GK    | Tut   | Pawel Linka          | GK           | 17 (1)| -     | -     | 1     | 7.06  | 28    | POL   | £325K | 
| DR    | PR    | Riccardo Colombo     | D/WB/M R     | 25    | 1     | 1     | 2     | 7.18  | 32    | ITA   | £180K | 
| DL    | PR    | Francesco Zarini     | D/WB L       | 7     | -     | -     | 1     | 7.20  | 26    | ITA   | £35K  | 
| DC    | PR    | Luca Ceccarelli      | D RC         | 30    | -     | -     | -     | 6.86  | 31    | ITA   | £120K | 
| DC    | PR    | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | D C          | 7     | -     | -     | -     | 6.86  | 28    | POL   | £50K  | 
| DMC   | Tut   | Albert Cano          | DM, M C      | 5     | -     | 1     | -     | 6.92  | 31    | ESP   | £250K | 
| DMC   | Unh   | Nicholas Costantini  | DM, M C      | 7 (2) | 1     | -     | 1     | 7.02  | 25    | ITA   | £80K  | 
| AMR   | PR    | Andrea Bracaletti    | AM RLC       | 3 (4) | 1     | 1     | 1     | 6.99  | 32    | ITA   | £120K | 
| AML   |       | Leandro Greco        | AM LC        | 7     | 1     | 1     | -     | 7.03  | 28    | ITA   | £55K  | 
| AMC   | PR    | Nicolás Córdova      | AM C         | 9     | 1     | 3     | 1     | 6.92  | 36    | CHI   | £2K   | 
| ST    | PR    | Umberto Eusepi       | ST           | 7     | 2     | 1     | -     | 7.01  | 26    | ITA   | £500K | 
| S1    | Rsv   | Cristian Ruggeri     | GK           | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 21    | ITA   | £7K   | 
| S2    | Rsv   | David Cudini         | D C          | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 19    | ITA   | £525K | 
| S3    | Unh   | Julio                | D C, DM, M C | 2     | -     | -     | -     | 6.75  | 28    | ESP   | £20K  | 
| S4    | Rsv   | Tom Culshaw          | DM, M C      | 2 (5) | -     | -     | -     | 6.72  | 20    | ENG   | £350K | 
| S5    | Unh   | Kevin                | AM RC        | 4 (2) | -     | -     | -     | 6.83  | 23    | ESP   | £170K | 
| S6    | PR    | Víctor Bravo         | AM L         | 21 (4)| -     | 4     | 3     | 7.40  | 31    | ESP   | £170K | 
| S7    |       | Wilker               | AM/F C       | 0 (3) | -     | -     | -     | 6.70  | 27    | BRA   | £325K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giuseppe Russo       | M C          | 18 (2)| -     | -     | -     | 6.79  | 31    | ITA   | £50K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giuseppe Pugliese    | D/WB L       | 9     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7.09  | 31    | ITA   | £300K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Luca Gerbaudo        | AM R         | 16    | 1     | 1     | -     | 6.59  | 24    | ITA   | £16K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Dag Alexander Olsen  | F C          | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 25    | NOR   | £75K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Marco Giuliani       | D C, DM, M C | 0 (2) | -     | -     | -     | 6.85  | 19    | ITA   | £450K | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club are sinking fast and are now in 21st place in the Serie B standings. They have 26 points from 29 games and are 4 points from safety.

Yes, the home form really is key. I've won 3 and lost 2 at the Bentegodi so far. :mad:

I've got Palermo as a parent club but they've got nobody worth taking on. Half of the big clubs in Italy are listed as our rivals so I don't think we're likely to get a decent parent club. :D

The squad has quality. I mean, this is almost the team that got me promoted from the Serie C1 with Carrarese and kept me in Serie B. However, the team has very low gelling and I think it's going to take time to get the rhythm going in terms of being a bit more ruthless and efficient, and winning or drawing games when we're playing badly etc.

Good luck, I think you may have inspired me to have an Italian career at some point.

Cheers Acidburn. Nice to have inspired someone. :D

Who would you like to manage in Italy?

My favourite player on your team... "Kevin" on your bench sometimes it makes me laugh at the one name players that are in the game.

Great career thus far, been a long time fan and lurker :)

Thanks Neurospasm. :thup:

Kevin's full name is 'Kevin Lacruz Coscolin'! I've got a few players who are known through one name, such as 'Julio de Dios Moreno' and one of my favourites 'Wilker Pereira dos Santos'. It has to do with Spanish naming conventions.

Anyway, Kevin is a pain in the backside to be honest. A very promising player indeed who just hasn't settled and who is put out because there is 'too much competition for a first team place'. :mad:

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR MARCH 2015:

Perugia 0 - 2 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

Would you believe that this is actually the first away win of the season for Hellas Verona?

It was an absolutely vital one against our fellow relegation battlers. A particularly stunning display where we showed our superiority in every part of the field.

Umberto Eusepi opened the scoring from the penalty spot and Leandro Greco wrapped up the points for us with a close-range finish towards the end of the second-half. A very useful three points in our fight for survival indeed.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi (pen) and Leandro Greco.

Hellas Verona MoM: Leandro Greco.

Hellas Verona 1 – 0 Como (Serie C1/A)

Back to back wins! This one achieved against lowly Como, another of the sides who we are battling with in order to stay in this division.

We weren’t really that good on the day, which is disappointing, but we got away with it thanks to captain Nicholas Costantini’s fine goal on 30 minutes. Although we weren’t great, Como never looked like troubling us, and it was a very comfortable game. A vital three points. The revival is up and running!

Hellas Verona scorers: Nicholas Costantini.

Hellas Verona MoM: Nicholas Costantini.

Lucchese 1 – 0 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

We just couldn’t keep the run going here against mid-table Lucchese.

An early goal found us 1-0 down after 6 minutes and we failed miserably to get back into the game.

We were dominant and should have taken something from this match, so to come away empty handed is difficult to take.

The team has ‘not yet developed a good understanding’ and I feel that this is having a major impact right now. We’re struggling to find our rhythm and to put a run together. Inconsistency is big part of the problem.

This is a very disappointing defeat. A step in the wrong direction.

Hellas Verona 2 – 2 Lumezzane (Serie C1/A)

Very disappointing once again. To concede two goals at home is not good enough.

Mid-table Lumezzane were second best throughout this tie but we just let ourselves down with a few errors. This was more or less our game to win and we didn't take our chance.

Umberto Eusepi scored on 84 minutes to make it 2-1 and I thought we had won the match, only for Lumezzane to pull level a couple of minutes later. Very frustrating indeed.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi x2 (1 x pen),

Hellas Verona MoM: Umberto Eusepi.

Manager Comments for March:

7 points from 4 games isn’t bad going but we aren’t quite firing on all cylinders just yet. There is much more to come from this team.

As I said above, the team has ‘not yet developed a good understanding’ and I feel that this is having a major impact right now. We’re inconsistent and we blow hot one week and cold the next.

We really ought to have got something at Lucchese and won the game against Lumezzane. That would have taken us away from the playout zone. As it is, we are still in trouble and need another good month in April to be sure of safety.

END OF MARCH 2015 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| 12th  |       | Lucchese   |       | 28    | 10    | 6     | 12    | 35    | 40    | -5    | 36    | 
| 13th  |       | Monza      |       | 28    | 10    | 5     | 13    | 28    | 39    | -11   | 35    | 
[b]| 14th  |       | Verona     |       | 28    | 8     | 7     | 13    | 25    | 35    | -10   | 31    | [/b]
| 15th  |       | Foggia     |       | 28    | 7     | 7     | 14    | 27    | 37    | -10   | 28    | 
| 16th  |       | Como       |       | 28    | 6     | 8     | 14    | 25    | 42    | -17   | 26    | 

18th relegated automatically, 14th - 17th involved in a relegation playout.

| GK    | Tut   | Pawel Linka          | GK           | 21 (1)| -     | -     | 1     | 7.04  | 28    | POL   | £300K | 
| DR    | Yel   | Riccardo Colombo     | D/WB/M R     | 29    | 1     | 1     | 2     | 7.13  | 32    | ITA   | £160K | 
| DL    |       | Francesco Zarini     | D/WB L       | 11    | -     | -     | 2     | 7.23  | 26    | ITA   | £375K | 
| DC    |       | Luca Ceccarelli      | D RC         | 34    | -     | -     | -     | 6.87  | 32    | ITA   | £100K | 
| DC    | Rsv   | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | D C          | 11    | -     | -     | -     | 6.94  | 28    | POL   | £45K  | 
| DMC   | Tut   | Albert Cano          | DM, M C      | 8     | -     | 1     | -     | 6.92  | 31    | ESP   | £240K | 
| DMC   | Lrn   | Nicholas Costantini  | DM, M C      | 11 (2)| 2     | 1     | 2     | 7.12  | 25    | ITA   | £400K | 
| AMR   | Tut   | Andrea Bracaletti    | AM RLC       | 7 (4) | 1     | 1     | 1     | 6.93  | 32    | ITA   | £110K | 
| AML   |       | Leandro Greco        | AM RLC       | 11    | 2     | 1     | 1     | 7.05  | 28    | ITA   | £400K | 
| AMC   |       | Nicolás Córdova      | AM C         | 11 (1)| 1     | 4     | 1     | 6.91  | 36    | CHI   | £2K   | 
| ST    | Rsv   | Umberto Eusepi       | ST           | 9 (1) | 5     | 1     | 1     | 7.10  | 26    | ITA   | £475K | 
| S1    | Rsv   | Cristian Ruggeri     | GK           | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 21    | ITA   | £9K   | 
| S2    | Rsv   | David Cudini         | D C          | 0 (1) | -     | -     | -     | -     | 19    | ITA   | £525K | 
| S3    | Rsv   | Julio                | D C, DM, M C | 3 (3) | -     | -     | -     | 6.80  | 28    | ESP   | £18K  | 
| S4    | Inj   | Tom Culshaw          | DM, M C      | 2 (7) | -     | -     | -     | 6.73  | 20    | ENG   | £325K | 
| S5    | Rsv   | Luca Gerbaudo        | AM R         | 16    | 1     | 1     | -     | 6.59  | 24    | ITA   | £16K  | 
| S6    |       | Víctor Bravo         | AM L         | 21 (5)| -     | 4     | 3     | 7.40  | 31    | ESP   | £150K | 
| S7    |       | Wilker               | AM/F C       | 2 (5) | -     | 1     | -     | 6.76  | 27    | BRA   | £325K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giuseppe Russo       | M C          | 18 (2)| -     | -     | -     | 6.79  | 31    | ITA   | £30K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giuseppe Pugliese    | D/WB L       | 9     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7.09  | 31    | ITA   | £180K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Dag Alexander Olsen  | F C          | 1     | -     | 1     | -     | 7.10  | 25    | NOR   | £60K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Kevin                | AM RC        | 5 (3) | -     | -     | -     | 6.72  | 23    | ESP   | £250K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Marco Giuliani       | D C, DM, M C | 0 (2) | -     | -     | -     | 6.85  | 19    | ITA   | £575K | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club are still in 21st place in the Serie B standings. It seems more and more unlikely that they will survive.

It's interesting that Carrarese are struggling. I guess whoever replaced you doesn't have your magic touch. Good thinking to keep us informed of their progress. :thup:

I think you'd have gotten them into Serie A eventually.

It's interesting that Carrarese are struggling. I guess whoever replaced you doesn't have your magic touch.

Well that and they have lost most of their good players (not least because I have bought a fair few of them!) :D

But they should have a good financial situation now and I think they will be a strong C1 level side.

I think you'd have gotten them into Serie A eventually.

I think I could have done eventually, however it wasn't meant to be that kind of game. It was the right time to move as I really wanted a journeyman type game in Italy so that I could move to a few different clubs.

Thrilling fight to the finish its turning out to be for you. Certainly with the squad gelling more and more as the season wheres on the results will take you out of the playout zone! Good Luck!

Yes, it is turning out to be a fair bit closer than I had hoped to be honest. I sort of had a vision of bringing in my own players in January and making my own mark on the team, then going ahead and saving them relatively easily. It's not turning out like that. If anything, it has taught me what a risky strategy it is to bring in so many new players at once.

Hopefully you can avoid the relegation play off, seems like you need some more goals from somewhere. Good luck Crouchy.

I definitely don't want to be involved in the play outs. I'm really hoping that I can pull the team away from there and into mid-table safety. We have a key game away to Monza, who are one place above us, still to come and I have a feeling that game is going to be pivotal to our chances of staying up.

To be honest, you worked wonders with Carrarese to get anywhere near Serie B! Your game strikes me a Paul Jewell type game with what he did at Bradford and Wigan, taking them to dizzy heights but then moving back down the leagues. Good luck with your dream at Verona!

Thanks for the comments 68_Grandad_99. :thup:

I'm hoping that I won't have to drop back down again. I'm planning on building up my reputation now and trying to get into the top league in the not too distant future!

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR APRIL & MAY 2015:

Cisco Roma 1 - 0 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

Awful performance. We didn’t turn up and we never looked like getting something from the game.

Once again a defensive mistake has cost us. We didn’t create enough up front either and, at the moment, only Umberto Eusepi looks like scoring goals for us.

I’m dreading away games at the moment. At home, we seem to be improving, but away we’re always coming back empty handed.

Hellas Verona MoM: Polish defender Adam Rafael Kokoskza.

Hellas Verona 3 – 2 Spezia (Serie C1/A)

We bounced back in style in this thrilling game against mid-tale Spezia.

Essentially, every time we scored, they pulled one back, until Umberto Eusepi got the winner as we approached the last 10 minutes.

We were good value for the three points and deserved the victory. A remarkable performance from Umberto Eusepi was the real highlight. I knew he would score goals for fun at this level and I have a feeling that he will be absolutely key in our bid for safety.

Hellas Verona scorers: Adam Rafael Kokoskza and Umberto Eusepi x 2.

Hellas Verona MoM: Umberto Eusepi.

Hellas Verona 3 – 1 Novara (Serie C1/A)

A fantastic and convincing win against the play-off contenders.

We showed our worth with this marvellous display of attacking football. Dominating in possession and creating many chances, we battered Novara to record our second win in a row at the Bentegodi.

Novara took the lead but we didn’t let our heads drop. Wilker quickly found his scoring form, putting us level before half-time and then scoring a second in the second-half. Umberto Eusepi got the third to put the icing on the cake.

I paid a lot of money for those two, knowing that they were coming to the peak of their careers and knowing that, at the age of 27 and 26, they still had their best years in front of them. They are quality players at this level and I think when we have a settled team, they will score a lot of goals for us in this division.

Hellas Verona scorers: Wilker x 2 and Umberto Eusepi.

Hellas Verona MoM: Wilker.

Foggia 2 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

After two great victories at the Bentegodi, I expected more from this game away to Foggia. They are also struggling in attempting to stay clear of the play outs.

When we went 1-0 up in the first-half thanks to a goal from Umberto Eusepi, I fancied our chances of recording only our second away win of the season. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there on.

How we managed to surrender our lead and come away with nothing, I could barely venture a guess at. We equalled them in every department and we can consider ourselves extremely unlucky indeed.

This loss puts us in a difficult position going into the final two games of the season.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi.

QUICK UPDATE OF THE SERIE C1/A STANDINGS WITH TWO GAMES LEFT TO PLAY:

| 12th  |       | Monza      |       | 32    | 11    | 6     | 15    | 38    | 51    | -13   | 39    | 
| 13th  |       | Perugia    |       | 33    | 10    | 9     | 14    | 35    | 40    | -5    | 39    | 
| 14th  |       | Foggia     |       | 32    | 10    | 7     | 15    | 34    | 42    | -8    | 37    | 
[b]| 15th  |       | Verona     |       | 32    | 10    | 7     | 15    | 32    | 41    | -9    | 37    | [/b]
| 16th  | Pl    | Arezzo     |       | 32    | 7     | 10    | 15    | 29    | 44    | -15   | 31    | 
| 17th  | Pl    | Como       |       | 32    | 6     | 9     | 17    | 27    | 50    | -23   | 27    | 
| 18th  | Pl    | Gela       |       | 32    | 5     | 7     | 20    | 28    | 60    | -32   | 22    | 

Note: 18th relegated automatically, 14th - 17th involved in a relegation playout.

Monza 0 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

I had a feeling that this was going to be a key game for us and I was proved right.

My feeling going into this game away to Monza, was that we needed at least a point in order to stand a chance of avoiding the dreaded play outs. In our last game we will play Gela at home and it is my feeling that, with at least a point here against Monza, and a win in the Gela game, we might ensure our safety in Serie C1/A.

We ended up going one better than that! It really was one of our best performances of the season and certainly one of our very best away from home.

Wilker scored the only goal of the game just after the half hour mark and we never looked like losing this one. An absolutely vital performance and I couldn’t help but feel that we would now avoid the ignominy and potential banana skin of the relegation play outs by easily beating bottom team Gela at home.

Hellas Verona scorers: Wilker.

Hellas Verona MoM: Defender Luca Ceccarelli.

Hellas Verona 0 – 1 Gela (Serie C1/A)

Wow, just wow. How angry was I after this game? Can anyone guess?

I can reveal that I was chuffing, bleeping, fluffing annoyed. :mad:

We did the hard work by beating Monza and then went and threw it all away by losing at home to the worst side in the league.

To be honest, Gela totally confused me in this game by lining up with a 4-2-4 from the kick-off. I had absolutely no idea what their intentions were. Was it just a case of having nothing to lose and playing for pride? Should I attack them or play on the counter? How should I exploit the weaknesses of their formation choice?

It should have totally backfired on them but we were unable to cope with the four attacking players and we didn’t dominate the midfield as I had hoped.

There is no excuse for this kind of performance though. We needed to win to ensure that we would stay clear of the relegation play outs. Now we would have to hope that other results – in particular, those of Perugia and Monza – would go our way to keep us clear of 14th place.

Hellas Verona MoM: Defender Luca Ceccarelli.

Manager Comments for Apri/May:

9 points from 5 games isn’t bad going really but to lose to the bottom team at home in the last game was totally unacceptable. We’re still far from the finished article and the team gelling is still very low, which explains the inconsistency.

Bringing in so many players at once has really been a very risky strategy and I'm not sure that I would look to make such a dramatic mark on the club immediately if I was to go back in time and play out the season again.

To find out whether we were sucked into the play outs, or whether we were safe due to other results going our way, you’ll have to wait for the next update. :D

END OF SEASON 2014/15 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| 1st   | C     | Piacenza   |       | 34    | 20    | 6     | 8     | 62    | 49    | +13   | 66    | 
| 2nd   |       | Cisco      |       | 34    | 18    | 10    | 6     | 58    | 39    | +19   | 64    | 
| 3rd   | P     | Cittadella |       | 34    | 17    | 8     | 9     | 55    | 37    | +18   | 59    | 
| 4th   |       | Pescara    |       | 34    | 17    | 8     | 9     | 75    | 50    | +25   | 59    | 
| 5th   |       | Catanzaro  |       | 34    | 14    | 12    | 8     | 53    | 40    | +13   | 54    | 
| 6th   |       | Novara     |       | 34    | 15    | 8     | 11    | 50    | 50    | 0     | 53    | 
| 7th   |       | Modena     |       | 34    | 14    | 10    | 10    | 61    | 47    | +14   | 52    | 
| 8th   |       | Ravenna    |       | 34    | 15    | 6     | 13    | 44    | 37    | +7    | 51    | 
| 9th   |       | Lumezzane  |       | 34    | 13    | 8     | 13    | 54    | 54    | 0     | 47    | 
| 10th  |       | Lucchese   |       | 34    | 13    | 8     | 13    | 44    | 42    | +2    | 47    | 
| 11th  |       | Spezia     |       | 34    | 10    | 14    | 10    | 42    | 41    | +1    | 44    | 
| 12th  |       | Foggia     |       | 34    | 11    | 7     | 16    | 37    | 46    | -9    | 40    | 
[b]| 13th  |       | Verona     |       | 34    | 11    | 7     | 16    | 33    | 42    | -9    | 40    | [/b]
| 14th  |       | Monza      |       | 34    | 11    | 7     | 16    | 39    | 53    | -14   | 40    | 
| 15th  | R     | Perugia    |       | 34    | 10    | 9     | 15    | 37    | 43    | -6    | 39    | 
| 16th  |       | Arezzo     |       | 34    | 7     | 11    | 16    | 30    | 47    | -17   | 32    | 
| 17th  | R     | Como       |       | 34    | 6     | 10    | 18    | 29    | 54    | -25   | 28    | 
| 18th  | R     | Gela       |       | 34    | 6     | 7     | 21    | 29    | 61    | -32   | 25    | 

18th relegated automatically, 14th - 17th involved in a relegation playout.

As you can see, we managed to stay clear of the relegation play outs thanks to our superior goal difference over Monza (after the results between us were equal).

| GK    | Hol   | Pawel Linka          | GK           | 27 (1)| -     | -     | 1     | 6.99  | 28    | POL   | £275K | 
| DR    | Hol   | Riccardo Colombo     | D/WB/M R     | 35    | 1     | 2     | 2     | 7.11  | 32    | ITA   | £130K | 
| DL    | Hol   | Francesco Zarini     | D/WB L       | 17    | -     | 1     | 2     | 7.20  | 26    | ITA   | £325K | 
| DC    | Hol   | Luca Ceccarelli      | D RC         | 40    | -     | -     | 1     | 6.88  | 32    | ITA   | £80K  | 
| DC    | Hol   | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | D C          | 17    | 1     | -     | -     | 7.05  | 28    | POL   | £325K | 
| DMC   | Hol   | Albert Cano          | DM, M C      | 14    | -     | 1     | -     | 6.98  | 31    | ESP   | £160K | 
| DMC   | Hol   | Nicholas Costantini  | DM, M C      | 17 (2)| 2     | 1     | 2     | 7.06  | 25    | ITA   | £375K | 
| AMR   | Hol   | Andrea Bracaletti    | AM RLC       | 13 (4)| 1     | 2     | 1     | 6.87  | 32    | ITA   | £85K  | 
| AML   | Hol   | Leandro Greco        | AM RLC       | 17    | 2     | 1     | 1     | 6.94  | 28    | ITA   | £325K | 
| AMC   | Hol   | Wilker               | AM/F C       | 8 (5) | 3     | 2     | 1     | 7.04  | 27    | BRA   | £425K | 
| ST    | Hol   | Umberto Eusepi       | ST           | 15 (1)| 9     | 3     | 2     | 7.21  | 26    | ITA   | £425K | 
| S1    | Hol   | Cristian Ruggeri     | GK           | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 21    | ITA   | £10K  | 
| S3    | Hol   | Julio                | D C, DM, M C | 3 (8) | -     | -     | -     | 6.80  | 28    | ESP   | £16K  | 
| S4    | Hol   | Tom Culshaw          | DM, M C      | 2 (10)| -     | -     | -     | 6.76  | 21    | ENG   | £35K  | 
| S5    | Hol   | Kevin                | AM RC        | 5 (8) | -     | 1     | -     | 6.72  | 23    | ESP   | £140K | 
| S6    | Hol   | Víctor Bravo         | AM L         | 21 (7)| -     | 4     | 3     | 7.40  | 31    | ESP   | £130K | 
| S7    | Hol   | Dag Alexander Olsen  | F C          | 1     | -     | 1     | -     | 7.10  | 25    | NOR   | £35K  | 
| -     | Hol   | Giuseppe Russo       | M C          | 18 (2)| -     | -     | -     | 6.79  | 31    | ITA   | £24K  | 
| -     | Hol   | Nicolás Córdova      | AM C         | 11 (1)| 1     | 4     | 1     | 6.91  | 36    | CHI   | £6K   | 
| -     | Hol   | Giuseppe Pugliese    | D/WB L       | 9     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7.09  | 31    | ITA   | £150K | 
| -     | Hol   | Luca Gerbaudo        | AM R         | 16 (1)| 1     | 1     | -     | 6.58  | 25    | ITA   | £14K  | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club were relegated from Serie B in 21st place. :(

Are you playing Carrarese next season then, or will they be going into a different C1 league?

I've no idea Nobby. It's a mystery to me in Italy. They seem to move about in a totally random way to me. I know in real life there is some kind of regionalisation though.

Carrarese were a C1/A team when I was managing them at that level. Verona though switched from C1/B to C1/A for this season, so whether we switch back or not, I've no idea.

An emotional return to Dei Marmi could be on the cards.

Archived