[FM10] Crouchy's Calcio Journeyman Save

crouchaldinho

Been reading through this (well, I did skim through that 'essay' :D). I don't have much knowledge of Italy but good luck with Carrarese in Serie B this season Crouchy. :thup:

I never managed in Italy before (unless you include those European Championships and WCQ matches in Italy? :p). I don't get co-ownership. Sounds more confusing than MLS. :D

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been reading through this (well, I did skim through that 'essay' :D).

I learnt a new Internet abbreviation the other day. It's 'tl, dr'. I think maybe it applies in this case. :(

I don't have much knowledge of Italy but good luck with Carrarese in Serie B this season Crouchy.

It's really tough in Serie B this season. I'm having to fight tooth and claw for every point so far.

I never managed in Italy before (unless you include those European Championships and WCQ matches in Italy?). I don't get co-ownership. Sounds more confusing than MLS.

I don't do co-ownerships! I've avoided them because I don't like the idea and I can't see much benefit to be honest.

Nothing can be more confusing that MLS. :p

September 2013:

Carrarese 4 – 0 Vicenza (Serie B)

A hugely important result achieved here against the side who were promoted with us as Champions of the Serie C1/A.

I didn’t expect such a resounding victory but the truth is that the result flatters us a bit. We didn’t keep the ball all that well but we did show more ruthlessness than them in front of goal and that’s what won us the game.

Carrarese Scorers: Umberto Eusepi, Own Goal and Albert Cano x 2 (1 pen).

Carrarese MoM: Albert Cano with a rating of 9.1.

Mantova 2 – 0 Carrarese (Serie B)

I rotated heavily in this game with one eye on a mid-week tie against Pro Vercelli, who I felt were beatable. Not that I didn’t think we could win this one, but with games coming quick and fast, and with us having a squad low on depth, I had to hedge my bets.

We actually played all right, had plenty of possession and probably created as much as they did. However, in the end their quality came through and they probably deserved the victory on reflection.

Carrarese scorers: None.

Carrarese MoM: Albert Cano.

Pro Vercelli 0 – 1 Carrarese (Serie B)

My calculated risk ended up paying off here at Silvio Piola, home of Pro Vercelli. I put out my strongest team, and a number of them were reinvigorated after being rested against Mantova. The strategy worked perfectly as our better condition and fitness told over the 90 minutes. Umberto Eusepi scored the only goal in an extremely tight game. A managerial masterstroke, you might say. ;)

Carrarese scorers: Umberto Eusepi.

Carrarese MoM: Umberto Eusepi.

Carrarese 0 – 0 Ascoli (Serie B)

This one was a big ask, I felt, against one of the favourites to win Serie B. They dominated and in the end we were very lucky to come away with a draw.

Carrarese MoM: Goalkeeper Christian Di Bari.

Livorno 1 – 0 Carrarese (Serie B)

Another one of the favourites in this division. Once again, I employed my rotation strategy, resting my better players with one eye on our next more winnable game against Triestina.

We were outplayed here and Livorno were good for their win. We could have taken a point though, as Livorno looked like they were having a bad day at the office, and we held out until the 84th minute. I couldn’t be too disappointed, as on the balanced of play, they were the better side and deserved to win the game.

Carrarese MoM: Zeshan Rehman playing at right-back.

Triestina 2 – 2 Carrarese (Serie B)

Once again, my rotation strategy seems to have rewarded us. However, we were also very lucky to have got the point today.

During the first-half, it looked very much as though we might take all three when Umberto Eusepi put us 1-0 up. In the second-half, it was really only down to some woeful finishing from Triestina that we managed the draw.

Carrarese scorers: Umberto Eusepi & Mattia Lacalmita.

Carrarese MoM: Mattia Lacalmita.

Manager Comments for September:

It was a very challenging month, so I think 8 points from 6 games is not a bad haul at all.

We’ve played two of the big sides in Serie B in Ascoli and Livorno, and in both cases we’ve done okay. We’ve also faced two of our fellow relegation battlers in Pro Vercelli and Vicenza and managed to beat them both, which is very positive.

At this early stage, I’m feeling quietly confident. However, the side is only half decent at this level and the defence badly lets us down. I'm having a tough time in Serie B but loving it. I feel like I have to get everything right in order to get something from games. There is no margin for error. It's going to be really tight indeed and I'll need to squeeze everything I can out of the team in order to stay up.

I hope you are right Iacovone. The gap in quality between C1 level and Serie B is pretty huge.

It's also important to remember that not only do the bottom three get relegated, but the two above them also get involved in a relegation play-out. So you have to try to finish in 17th and above (out of 22). Looking back through the seasons, it means you need a haul of 50 points from the 42 games to be totally safe.

No job offers at all to speak of just yet. I'm of 'regional' reputation so should be able to attract something decent at some point hopefully.

No managers teetering on the brink at the moment. Cremonese in C1/A have had a couple of dodgy results. Hellas Verona are wobbling quite a bit. They have a tough division as well, with some pretty big sides to compete against. Incidentally, Taranto have played 8 and won 8 in that division.

Here is hoping that the Verona manager gets the sack soon, although half of me wants to stay on to try to keep Carrarese up!

Good luck Crouchy, I have always wanted ago as Pro Vercelli or Pescara but never get round to managing in Italy. Great result against Vicenza, I liked the essay updates and I also like the match by match monthly ones. It's good to have a variety of styles to read in this forum.

A good month there crouchaldinho. :thup: From al the saves I've played on various versions of FM over recent years, I'd say Serie B is one of the toughest leagues to play in, epcially as a newly promoted side. As you say, no margin for error!

October 2013:

Carrarese 0 – 0 Atalanta (Serie B)

A really tough game against one of the favourites from this division (they got relegated from Serie A last season and are expected to bounce straight back to the top division).

We gave them a pretty close run here but, on reflection, a draw was a fair result. It was really a very decent point for us and a good performance.

Carrarese Scorers: None.

Carrarese MoM: Defender Andrea Signorini.

Frosinone 1 – 0 Carrarese (Serie B)

With two massive (and winnable) home games coming up after this mid-week away match, I decided to rest several players, especially deep-lying play-maker Daniel Philliskirk who is key to how we play.

Again it was a very tight game indeed but they probably just edged it in all truth and deserved the win. It was still disappointing to come away with nothing after playing so well.

Carrarese MoM: Captain and right fullback Olivier N’Siabamfumu.

Carrarese 4 – 0 Rimini (Serie B)

Again, my rotation really paid off as we won this at a canter. Rimini are fellow relegation battlers and therefore it was vital for our chances to get a win against them at home. I didn’t expect to do it in such style though.

4-0 flattered us a little bit but we did create a lot and the performance was excellent. We definitely deserved the victory. A marvellous Umberto Eusepi hat-trick was the icing on the cake; he was simply brilliant for us. All in all, a massive win.

Carrarese scorers: Umberto Eusepi x3 (1 pen) and Pedro Baquero.

Carrarese MoM: Umberto Eusepi with a rating of 9.4.

Carrarese 1 – 0 Grosseto (Serie B)

A really tough game against this mid-table side. We were fortunate to get the win. We kept the ball well and were on top but they made a few chances as well.

On reflection, I think we deserved the three points, although it was a very tight game and it took us until the 85th minute to forge ahead. Very, very happy with this result indeed.

Carrarese scorers: Mattia Lacalamita.

Carrarese MoM: Mattia Lacalamita.

Manager Comments for October:

7 points from 4 games is an absolutely brilliant return as far as I am concerned! We did have three home games this month and perhaps a less challenging set of fixtures, however to get the points on the board is what counts. We need to stay as far away from 18th place as possible and we’re currently only 2 points away even after a great couple of months, which shows you just how tight this league is! 

End of October Summary:

1249694485_carrarese.png

Serie B Standings:

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 10th  |       | Vicenza      |       | 12    | 5     | 1     | 6     | 14    | 17    | -3    | 16    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 11th  |       | Ascoli       |       | 11    | 4     | 3     | 4     | 13    | 10    | +3    | 15    | 
[b]| 12th  |       | Carrarese    |       | 11    | 4     | 3     | 4     | 13    | 8     | +5    | 15    | [/b]
| 13th  |       | Padova       |       | 11    | 3     | 6     | 2     | 15    | 16    | -1    | 15    | 
| 14th  |       | AlbinoLeffe  |       | 11    | 4     | 2     | 5     | 17    | 18    | -1    | 14    | 

First Team Overall Stats (all competitions):

| Pkd  | Inf  | Name                 | Apps   | Gls  | Ast  | MoM  | Pas R| Tck  | Drb  | Sh T | Yel  | Red  | Av Rat | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| GK   | PR   | Christian Di Bari    | 8      | -    | -    | -    | 63%  | -    | -    | -    | -    | -    | 7.04   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| DR   | Tut  | Olivier N'Siabamfumu | 6      | -    | -    | -    | 76%  | 3.49 | 0.17 | -    | 2    | 1    | 6.82   | 
| DL   | Wnt  | Matteo D'Alessandro  | 12     | -    | -    | -    | 76%  | 3.08 | 0.08 | -    | -    | -    | 7.04   | 
| DC   | Wnt  | Andrea Signorini     | 12     | -    | 1    | -    | 77%  | 2.08 | 0.17 | -    | 1    | -    | 6.66   | 
| DC   | Wnt  | Pedro Baquero        | 12     | 1    | -    | -    | 83%  | 1.78 | -    | -    | -    | -    | 7.08   | 
| DMC  | PR   | Albert Cano          | 11 (1) | 3    | 1    | 1    | 80%  | 3.11 | 0.29 | 25%  | -    | -    | 7.24   | 
| DMC  | HG   | Daniel Philliskirk   | 10 (2) | 1    | 1    | 1    | 78%  | 3.80 | 0.10 | -    | 2    | -    | 7.11   | 
| AMR  | Tut  | Andrea Bracaletti    | 10     | -    | 3    | -    | 56%  | 1.24 | 3.10 | -    | -    | -    | 6.99   | 
| AML  | HG   | Mattia Lacalamita    | 8 (1)  | 2    | 3    | 2    | 57%  | 2.31 | 4.62 | -    | -    | -    | 7.14   | 
| AMC  |      | Wilker               | 9 (3)  | -    | -    | -    | 73%  | 2.03 | 0.45 | 58%  | -    | -    | 6.64   | 
| ST   | Wnt  | Umberto Eusepi       | 11     | 7    | 2    | 2    | 64%  | 0.73 | 1.67 | 40%  | -    | -    | 7.24   | 
| S1   | Unh  | Salvatore Sirigu     | 4      | -    | -    | -    | 70%  | -    | -    | -    | -    | -    | 6.78   | 
| S2   | Tut  | Alessandro Cibocchi  | 2      | -    | -    | -    | 88%  | 2.00 | -    | -    | -    | -    | 7.20   | 
| S3   | PR   | Julio                | 3 (5)  | -    | -    | -    | 84%  | 3.58 | 0.26 | -    | -    | -    | 6.87   | 
| S4   | PR   | Nicholas Costantini  | 0 (2)  | -    | -    | -    | 85%  | -    | -    | -    | -    | -    | 6.90   | 
| S5   | Tut  | Liban Abdi           | 3 (1)  | -    | -    | -    | 70%  | 1.07 | 2.50 | -    | -    | -    | 6.97   | 
| S6   |      | Nicolás Córdova      | 3 (7)  | -    | 1    | -    | 63%  | 1.88 | 0.23 | -    | 1    | -    | 6.71   | 
| S7   |      | Dag Alexander Olsen  | 1      | -    | -    | -    | -    | 1.15 | -    | -    | -    | -    | 6.70   | 

The league must be really tight if recent results didn't pull you away from 18th. You should be able to do it though, I have faith, good luck.

Thanks for your faith AcidBurn. I'm quietly confident.

Ultimately, I'm hoping that our home form and our performances against the lower table sides will pull us through.

NEWSFLASH:

Crouchaldinho linked with Hellas Verona job again! Crouchaldinho is considered by many to be a leading candidate for the job, should it become available, and his interest is bound to increase the pressure on current incumbent Gian Cesare Discepoli.

Verona have had a poor start to the season and sit in 12th place in Serie C1/B after 10 games.

I might be missing something here but how do Hellas Verona know you're interested? Did you declare your interest? How did Carrarese take that?

Yes, I declared my interest. I've been declaring my interest in that job for the last few seasons, basically every time I'm able to! :D

Carrarese have been disappointed with me and publicly rebuked me on occasion. I guess my standing at the club is pretty good though as they have responded by saying that they hope I stay this time.

Basically due to A Season With Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusions, National Character and Goals by Tim Parks. I read it many years ago now but it made a big impression on me when I was younger. I've always fancied managing the Gialloblu ever since. Plus, they are fallen giants at the moment, and I'd like to take them back to Serie A.

November 2013:

Brescia 2 – 0 Carrarese (Serie B)

We started the month with defeat at Brescia. They are one of the favourites for promotion to Serie A and they were just too strong for us. They outplayed us and were good for their 2-0 win.

Carrarese 4 – 1 Sassuolo (Serie B)

Easily our best performance of the season so far. Sassuolo were low on confidence and we totally outplayed them, dominating the game and making chance after chance. An Umberto Eusepi brace gave us a 2-0 lead and we cruised the rest of the game. A big win for us.

Carrarese scorers: Umberto Eusepi x2, Mattia Lacalamita and Wilker.

Carrarese MoM: Umberto Eusepi.

Crotone 1 – 1 Carrarese (Serie B)

A tight game which, on reflection, we might even have won. Albert Cano gave us the lead via the penalty spot. We played some good stuff but let them back in just before half-time and were unable to find a winner in the second-half. A decent away point against fellow relegation battlers.

Carrarese scorers: Alberto Cano (pen).

Carrarese 2 – 0 Padova (Serie B)

Another massive win against fellow relegation strugglers Padova. It was thoroughly deserved as we dominated for large periods of the game. Dag Alexander Olsen got his first goal for the club (on as a sub for Eusepi) on 89 minutes, which was our second goal of the game and it settled the nerves.

Carrarese scorers: Andrea Bracaletti and Dag Alexander Olsen.

Carrarese MoM: Andrea Bracaletti.

Bari 0 – 0 Carrarese (Serie B)

A miracle, no less, away to a side who are promotion challengers. We were totally outplayed and pounded into the ground for 90 minutes but somehow – I don’t know exactly how – hung on for a point. They really ought to have won by 3 or 4 goals.

Basically, I have absolutely no idea how we got away with a point. It was a bit like that game on Gladiators in the early 90s called Hang Tough, where the contestants had to swing and traverse on the rings to get to the other platform. Meanwhile, the gladiator is trying to wrench them from the rings to the crash mats below.

Well, Bari were the gladiators and there wasn't much swinging or traversing. They basically caught us early on and we were hanging on for dear life, waiting for the seconds to run down, but just wouldn’t let go whatever they tried.

What’s that you say, a charming analogy? Why, thanks... :D

Carrarese MoM: The goalkeeper and entire back four for getting us a point!

Manager Comments for November:

[boast mode]A hugely successful month, with a haul of 8 points from 5 games. Absolutely incredible. The highlight would have to be the 4-1 against Sassuolo or the 2-0 against Padova. Some really terrific performances have taken us 9 points away from 18th place. I just hope that we can keep this up![/boast mode]

End of October Summary:

1249694485_carrarese.png

Serie B Standings:

| 9th   |       | Livorno      |       | 16    | 7     | 4     | 5     | 20    | 18    | +2    | 25    | 
| 10th  |       | Brescia      |       | 16    | 6     | 5     | 5     | 24    | 22    | +2    | 23    | 
[b]| 11th  |       | Carrarese    |       | 16    | 6     | 5     | 5     | 20    | 12    | +8    | 23    | [/b]
| 12th  |       | AlbinoLeffe  |       | 16    | 7     | 2     | 7     | 27    | 26    | +1    | 23    | 
| 13th  |       | Grosseto     |       | 16    | 6     | 5     | 5     | 17    | 16    | +1    | 23    | 

First Team Overall Stats (all competitions):

| Pkd  | Inf  | Name                 | Apps   | Gls  | Ast  | MoM  | Pas R| Tck  | Drb  | Sh T | Yel  | Red  | Av Rat | 
| GK   | PR   | Christian Di Bari    | 13     | -    | -    | -    | 64%  | -    | 0.08 | -    | -    | -    | 7.00   | 
| DR   | Tut  | Matteo D'Alessandro  | 17     | -    | -    | -    | 77%  | 3.23 | 0.06 | -    | -    | -    | 7.09   | 
| DL   | Tut  | Alessandro Cibocchi  | 7      | -    | -    | -    | 80%  | 2.42 | -    | -    | 1    | -    | 7.27   | 
| DC   | Wnt  | Andrea Signorini     | 17     | -    | 1    | -    | 77%  | 2.12 | 0.18 | -    | 1    | -    | 6.79   | 
| DC   |      | Pedro Baquero        | 17     | 1    | -    | -    | 80%  | 1.91 | -    | -    | -    | -    | 7.02   | 
| DMC  | PR   | Julio                | 5 (6)  | -    | 1    | -    | 85%  | 3.70 | 0.16 | -    | -    | -    | 6.92   | 
| DMC  | PR   | Albert Cano          | 15 (1) | 4    | 1    | 1    | 81%  | 3.29 | 0.29 | 23%  | 2    | -    | 7.19   | 
| AMR  |      | Andrea Bracaletti    | 15     | 1    | 3    | 1    | 55%  | 1.07 | 3.78 | -    | -    | -    | 6.95   | 
| AML  | HG   | Mattia Lacalamita    | 13 (1) | 3    | 3    | 2    | 62%  | 2.21 | 5.11 | 63%  | 1    | -    | 7.25   | 
| AMC  | Wnt  | Wilker               | 14 (3) | 1    | 1    | -    | 71%  | 1.72 | 0.60 | 55%  | -    | -    | 6.78   | 
| ST   | PR   | Umberto Eusepi       | 16     | 9    | 2    | 3    | 62%  | 1.10 | 2.13 | 37%  | -    | -    | 7.19   | 
| S1   | Unh  | Salvatore Sirigu     | 4      | -    | -    | -    | 70%  | -    | -    | -    | -    | -    | 6.78   | 
| S2   | Tut  | Olivier N'Siabamfumu | 6 (1)  | -    | -    | -    | 76%  | 3.49 | 0.16 | -    | 2    | 1    | 6.77   | 
| S3   |      | Nicholas Costantini  | 0 (3)  | -    | -    | -    | 80%  | -    | -    | -    | -    | -    | 6.90   | 
| S4   | PR   | Martin Christensen   | 3 (6)  | -    | -    | -    | 58%  | 1.70 | 4.62 | -    | -    | -    | 6.73   | 
| S5   | Tut  | Liban Abdi           | 3 (3)  | -    | -    | -    | 67%  | 1.21 | 2.73 | -    | -    | -    | 6.90   | 
| S6   | PR   | Nicolás Córdova      | 3 (10) | -    | 2    | -    | 62%  | 1.68 | 0.21 | -    | 1    | -    | 6.73   | 
| S7   |      | Dag Alexander Olsen  | 1 (5)  | 1    | -    | -    | 65%  | 1.51 | 2.01 | -    | -    | -    | 6.90   | 
| -    | HG   | Daniel Philliskirk   | 14 (2) | 1    | 4    | 1    | 78%  | 3.58 | 0.30 | 25%  | 4    | -    | 7.15   | 

I'm delighted with it Mike, absolutely delighted. I think it's still going to be tight because there are some good teams below me who are under-performing at the moment. Also, we're bound to have a poor spell as we are low on quality and depth, but I think we can do it as long as I keep morale high and key players fit.

Back in the world of calcio, about three of my coaches have been approached to be managers by Serie C2 sides in the last few weeks! My top class backroom staff, who have been with me since the start, are all being targeted as future managers. :mad: So far, I've kept them all at the club by offering new contracts. Hopefully, I can keep hold of them.

In other news, I've been working on revolutionising my training schedules tonight, which has proved a timely exercise but hopefully should see some improvement in terms of player development etc.

Now to get down to some actual matches!

The Carrarese chairman Fabio Oppicelli has announced that he will step down and the chairman status is 'in the process of a board takeover'. Nothing much else mentioned and I've no idea who will be coming in. Hopefully someone with a bit of business sense because we've been in debt since I took over and I've been unable to spend money or improve the facilities during my time with the club. :(

So what will this mean for me? I'm hoping for good news!

Nice. Going for the training overhaul. IIRC I made mine in FM06 and have just carried them through to the present day :D

Mine are from FM08 I think but every now and then I spend a while going through them and redesigning each schedule!

Congrats on promotion Crouchy and more congrats for the great start in Serie B

Thanks CAFCIan75. :)

Archived