£70 Million David Villa

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to transfers and just need to learn a little patience.

When I make transfers I always follow this strategy.

1. Player interact (say I think he's good player/youngster/one for future etc)

2. Enquire with club (if they give a valuation ill begin negotiations go to step 4, if not continue to step 3)

3. Player interact (tell him I intend to make bid and will try to sign him)

4. If given valuation that is acceptable in step 2, make a bid or if not acceptable adjust accordingly. Otherwise ill make my first bid for the player at this point.

I tend to offer the value + 25% = initial bid (eg. £4million + £1million = £5million) I then increase the bid by 50% each time until I get a bid accepted.

This is just how I make my transfers and im not saying that this is the best way or that every one should follow the same strategy. Im only saying that this is what works for me and that just a little patience with transfers often results in getting better prices for players and is more rewarding as a result.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to transfers and just need to learn a little patience.

When I make transfers I always follow this strategy.

1. Player interact (say I think he's good player/youngster/one for future etc)

2. Enquire with club (if they give a valuation ill begin negotiations go to step 4, if not continue to step 3)

3. Player interact (tell him I intend to make bid and will try to sign him)

4. If given valuation that is acceptable in step 2, make a bid or if not acceptable adjust accordingly. Otherwise ill make my first bid for the player at this point.

I tend to offer the value + 25% = initial bid (eg. £4million + £1million = £5million) I then increase the bid by 50% each time until I get a bid accepted.

This is just how I make my transfers and im not saying that this is the best way or that every one should follow the same strategy. Im only saying that this is what works for me and that just a little patience with transfers often results in getting better prices for players and is more rewarding as a result.

A good stratergy. But I'm guessing even then there are occasions where you still can't get your man?

A good stratergy. But I'm guessing even then there are occasions where you still can't get your man?

Of course, but thats what its like in real life.

If im at a club with limited budget but still want the player ill try again in the future just like real life clubs (even Man City and Real Madrid negotiate prices) which is what we want this game to emulate eventually...isn't it?

Of course, but thats what its like in real life.

If im at a club with limited budget but still want the player ill try again in the future just like real life clubs (even Man City and Real Madrid negotiate prices) which is what we want this game to emulate eventually...isn't it?

I could not agree more. And I'm glad that someone else has a same line of thinking. IMO it's the most realistic transfer market in ages.

I got a bid of 50m + Anderson + Carrick accepted for Villa. Only problem was Carrick didn't want to leave so it never happened. Initially they wanted over 100m but i changed the bid to a more reasonable figure and then went in with a non-negotiable deal. They accepted and I got to offer a contract. Unfortunately Carrick didn't want to go to Spain.

That's the most horrible and unreasonable deal you could ever imagine. Insane cash plus two important players for a 28-year-old striker, that's ridiculous.

Don't mean to disagree for the sake of it. But at around 2000 surely valencia were bigger then than now!!! Two champions league finals and winning the league in 2002. And even in 2004 when they won the league and Uefa cup, for me they were more of a name back then than they are today. Surely saying that becasue they have kept villa and silva does not mean that they are a big club. If Villa was a bit younger than he would have left this summer and do you thnik silva will still be there in the future? Its subjective I guess.... :)

No, if Villa was younger, he would have stayed.

In case you didn't realise, Villa loves the club.

Silva is also loathe to leave although he knows the financial situation of the club.

I wonder what the displayed price is for ?

What is the reason for a player to be displayed as worth of 5m if you can not buy him for 5m ?

That's his value when you take into account things like experience, contract etc. The selling club will then add on extra money as they see fit in order to recieve what they see as adequate compensation, or purely as an attempt to discourage you from nabbing their top names.

Less important players are often avaiable for a similar amount to their value. For example I have signed Vicente from Valencia for £4.8m when his value was £5m. How? Because they have less requirement for him as they have Silva and Mata who are younger more versatile and probably a bit better.

Villa was top goalscorer in European Championships and La Liga's top National scorer so it would make sense for the offer to have to be big in order to buy him. To think that because you are Man Utd or Chelsea or Arsenal or whoever that a player will simply join you is unrealistic. Some players value their family life ahead of a move to wherever, in the case of Villa, a move abroad. Having a young family is probably the key reason why irl Villa didn't want to move to the Premiership in the summer. This can change but its unrealistic to believe that money will be the sole realistic factor. Not everyone moves for money and not every club sells for money. If you take the example of the Man City squad, most of those players would not move abroad. Amazing to think that Jermaine Pennant went to Zaragoza since that would seem unlikely a few years ago, so technically the same rule applies. Well done SI on this one, it may frustrate gameplay but it makes it more realistic.

That's his value when you take into account things like experience, contract etc. The selling club will then add on extra money as they see fit in order to recieve what they see as adequate compensation, or purely as an attempt to discourage you from nabbing their top names.

Less important players are often avaiable for a similar amount to their value. For example I have signed Vicente from Valencia for £4.8m when his value was £5m. How? Because they have less requirement for him as they have Silva and Mata who are younger more versatile and probably a bit better.

Totally pointless , the displayed number should be selling/buying price and "not for transfer" if the club don't wanna sell him .

Totally pointless , the displayed number should be selling/buying price and "not for transfer" if the club don't wanna sell him .

That would just totally take the fun out of transfer dealings for me. It's not a bloody supermarket, after all. I actually like that two players of very similar value may move for significantly different fees, makes it a bit more unpredictable. Your suggestion means that we'd merely have to put together a shopping list at the start of every pre-season and buy everything on it. And I do that more than enough IRL, thank you very much.

But: if you have a player important as Villa in your team, or a player you "love"...would you sell it with that kind of offer?

Have you ever rejected some similar offer?

If yes, you can't say the AI is not logic. If you do it, why can't the AI do it too?

But: if you have a player important as Villa in your team, or a player you "love"...would you sell it with that kind of offer?

Have you ever rejected some similar offer?

If yes, you can't say the AI is not logic. If you do it, why can't the AI do it too?

Exactly. Nobody is saying Villa is "worth" 70m but it's more Valencia's way of saying "he's not for sale unless you pay this totally unrealistic price because we don't want to, or need to, sell him".

It's similar to the dealings in the summer with Chelsea allegedly putting a 50m price tag on John Terry. Nobody really believes that slow lump is worth 50m but Chelsea didn't want to sell because he's their captain so they just asked for silly money which they never thought anyone would be willing to pay.

In a way I agree with you and if we didn't have values attached to the players it would stop all these type of threads on the boards.

With scouting reports also now showing a more realistic "buying" price perhaps its time these "value" figures were done away with completely.

I see transfer value as "What price would I put on this player's skills as an individual, ignoring his impact on the team and removing all emotive feelings on this player - i.e. he is favoured?"

Or "If I could melt down Villa's ability into, say, gold - how much would I sell this piece of gold for?"

It is used as a base but circumstances in the team will make the value different. Don't want a player? His value goes down. Don't want to sell? His value goes up.

No - The selling/buying price falls under asking price. And it works both ways. Just cos one of your players is worth £5m doesn't mean thats what you'd sell him for. There is a difference between what something is worth and what it actually costs.

In a way I agree with you and if we didn't have values attached to the players it would stop all these type of threads on the boards.

With scouting reports also now showing a more realistic "buying" price perhaps its time these "value" figures were done away with completely.

If the values were removed then there would 100x as many topics complaining about it as there are from people complaining that club's don't want to sell their best players!

O/T. I remember playing one of the first FIFA manager games, the one where players didn't age and there was a some bug whereby all your supporters were willing to pay £90 for a ticket. After about 10 seasons I bid 2 BILLION for Ronaldo (buck-toothed one) and it was rejected :)

I see transfer value as "What price would I put on this player's skills as an individual, ignoring his impact on the team and removing all emotive feelings on this player - i.e. he is favoured?"

Or "If I could melt down Villa's ability into, say, gold - how much would I sell this piece of gold for?"

It is used as a base but circumstances in the team will make the value different. Don't want a player? His value goes down. Don't want to sell? His value goes up.

This is probably the best way to look at it. :thup:

And if you are really patient then chances are you can get your man at a lower price somewhere along the line......

Just a test game with Man U:

Got De Rossi for 35M€, but at first Roma wanted to have 55M€ (while my first offer was 25M€ + clauses), in the end it took me about a week and several bids (+ some praising of De Rossi) to finally get him for 35M€.

So be patient and some negotiating does really help.

Just a test game with Man U:

Got De Rossi for 35M€, but at first Roma wanted to have 55M€ (while my first offer was 25M€ + clauses), in the end it took me about a week and several bids (+ some praising of De Rossi) to finally get him for 35M€.

So be patient and some negotiating does really help.

Precisely. I don't see why everyone thinks their first bid should be accepted.

That would just totally take the fun out of transfer dealings for me. It's not a bloody supermarket, after all. I actually like that two players of very similar value may move for significantly different fees, makes it a bit more unpredictable. Your suggestion means that we'd merely have to put together a shopping list at the start of every pre-season and buy everything on it. And I do that more than enough IRL, thank you very much.

I think this just shows the kind of society we live in. Every one wants something for free and straight away without working towards it. Totally takes the fun out of the game when you know who to buy and for how much.

I don't think that's awfully unrealistic as in real life, David Villa is feircly loyal to Valencia...How many big clubs have made offers for him over the last 3 seasons or so, yet he still decides to stay with Valencia? It's going to take something Special to get him away from there, thus Valencia will have no quarms at all rejecting huge offers for him. If you want David Villa so badly, play as Valencia

Precisely. I don't see why everyone thinks their first bid should be accepted.

Just like in real life (most of the times)

Exactly, if the value would be the sale price, the fun is gone, the value of the players just a fictional representation of how good he is (at least that is what I think) for a particular club (Higher rep club, higher rep player = higher value..) by no means it is a indication of this transfer price, that could be higher/lower.

The real issue is (or was as I don't know whether it's been fixed for FM10) that the AI often sells players to other AI clubs for lower prices than what they ask for from the human player. It happened several times to me that a club (not a rival, a club from a different league) accepted the same bid from 10 AI clubs but asked for more than double of that amount when I launched a bid. That's just wrong.

The real issue is (or was as I don't know whether it's been fixed for FM10) that the AI often sells players to other AI clubs for lower prices than what they ask for from the human player. It happened several times to me that a club (not a rival, a club from a different league) accepted the same bid from 10 AI clubs but asked for more than double of that amount when I launched a bid. That's just wrong.

That certainly is wrong but something I've never experienced. How very odd.

This is exactly what happens irl

You are going in with a cold bid and just saying right here I am cash rich and I want that player no matter what, When in real life that hardly ever happens. Take the Ronaldo transfer for example Madrid did not just turn up one day and say here is £80 million, They had to wait over 3 years to get there man dropping hints and unsettling him along the way. They did pay a lot but that’s a lot less than if they had just made the bid and Ronaldo had not pushed it through.

People want FM to be like real life but then want the easy, quick way to make the best team it will not and cannot work like that you need to wait for the full game and have patience when trying to sign people that's what the player comments are in the game for!

It is possible to upset players and make them want to join in the first season but that is unlikely to happen with players such as Messi, Villa and the likes as they are happy where they are and will not just drop everything and move because a new manager has made a bid.

The club and player both need to be unsettled and this takes time!!

completely agree, couldn't have put it better.

That certainly is wrong but something I've never experienced. How very odd.

USUALLY they accept the same bid but not always. On my FM09 save I fought with Hertha for a good left-back and in the end I had to pay the double of what Hertha had offered (which was accepted) to get him as they kept rejecting lower bids...

USUALLY they accept the same bid but not always. On my FM09 save I fought with Hertha for a good left-back and in the end I had to pay the double of what Hertha had offered (which was accepted) to get him as they kept rejecting lower bids...

Were Hertha paying straight cash or was there any clauses invloved?

Personally I've always had offers accepted at around the same price as the AI.

However I also want out that the AI has possibly offered clauses that add value to the transfer but you don't/haven't seen these as the user which could account for the difference.

Their offer was worth up to £13M if I recall correctly and I had to pay £20M plus £5M in 12 months.

The only reason I can think of is maybe you were Man City - in which case you deserved it :D

I know the AI has a history of asking for more money from richer clubs. Apparently building a good relationship with the selling clubs manager helps.

No - The selling/buying price falls under asking price. And it works both ways. Just cos one of your players is worth £5m doesn't mean thats what you'd sell him for. There is a difference between what something is worth and what it actually costs.

So what is the purpose for having a displayed price at all ?

When i am transfer listing a player with displayed price 5m i wanna take 5m , no enquiries or anything, i want 5m ; when i bid a player for his displayed price i wanna proceed to contract offering screen .

Also "not for sale" = no bids, no enquiries , no anything .

A not for sale option just means you'll never get a big name. FACT it happened all the time on the old CM's when you had the option to set as unavailable. If you look at a players contract info it will show you whether they are indispensible, important 1st team player etc, the more important the more you'll need to play. Like it says, the value is what his core abilities and experience are worth, not how much the he's worth to the team. Hence why it's the computer that determines the value not the manager.

So what is the purpose for having a displayed price at all ?

When i am transfer listing a player with displayed price 5m i wanna take 5m , no enquiries or anything, i want 5m ; when i bid a player for his displayed price i wanna proceed to contract offering screen .

Also "not for sale" = no bids, no enquiries , no anything .

It's not a price, it's a value. The AI manager may value the player lower or higher than that "core" value.

Such a "not for sale" option would be totally unrealistic - IRL every club can launch a bid for any player, even if his club says he's not for sale.

God why would you start your fm game trying to buy players like David Villa and managing Man Utd, then coming on here and complaining when you can't just have all the best players. Classic signs of a certain type of Utd fan, can't understand not being and supporting the best in things.

No need for attitude like that is there. Villa was just one player. It was just an EXAMPLE. And no it does not show signs 'of a certain type of United fan'. its called ambition, to want the best. Probably not heard of that. There's nothing wrong with that. What would you call Real or Chelsea in that case?

The transfermarket is better this year, because I could sign Silva for £27 million for example :thup:.

Have to agree partly on that, i got him for the same amount but all im saying is some prices are understandable and realistic but some are too high. E.g. £50-55m for player like Villa is ok, £80m is way too much.

I think the game needs a grey area AI deciding mechanism instead of a pure black and white. The AI needs to understand the sum being paid, in terms of what caliber of a player they can bring in as a replacement. If they are offered 50 million for Villa and they can say get someone in the range of Eto (although unlikely cause he just moved to Inter), Aguero, Forlan, Defoe, or whoever else for say 20-30million range, then they made a profit, no?

Sorry, but Defoe, Forlan and Aguero are simply not in the same league as Villa. I'd rather have Villa than Eto'o too. Torres and perhaps Ibrahimovic (if it wasn't for the attitude problem) are the only other strikers I'd consider on par with Villa, and as such, I wouldn't sell him at all if I were Valencia. If I couldn't get a replacement as good for the same or less money (and I didn't need the money to stay afloat), I wouldn't sell, so I don't see why the AI would either.

Agree with your general point that the AI should look to see who else is available when considering an offer though.

Archived