FM10: Official Manchester City - "a small club with a small club mentality"

the--dud

I have just finished the demo with Man City and im 4th, 4 points behind the leaders Chelsea. I signed:-

Hamsik - £12 mill - Good signing and one for the future. Also good bench player for when Ireland is tired

Gokhan Inler - £22 mill - Another good player and is a very good back up for Barry

Van Der Vaart - £7.5 mill - Brilliant player and I rotate him in CM with Ireland - Can pick out players through the eye of a needle

Van Persie - £40 mill - great striker to have and is a different type of player to Tevez and Adebayor. Great technical skill and brilliant at deadball situations. Also can pick a ball out and drop off the main striker.

I have found Tevez to be an absolutely immense player. He has got 18 goals in 22 appearances altogether and is great with one on one chances.

I have also found Robinho to be a class player when played in the ML position. He terrorises full backs and chips in with some goals and assists (6 goals and 6 assists in 26 games so far at an average of 7.22)

As a partnership I dont think there are many better than Lescott and Toure either, very solid and few mistakes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay my experiments with City have epically... Failed, well there was some positive.

I was trying all different types of formations, just to see how the tactics system works, and also just to see how the match engine works.

4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 worked brilliantly :) But on the other hand, 4-4-2 & 4-2-2-2 didn't work one bit for me :( must of done something dreadfully wrong there.

(all 4 formations were tried on different saves)

So to be honest, when the full game comes out, I am going to play the 4-3-3 for tough games, and possibly away. Then play the 4-2-3-1 at home and easy games (such as Wolves etc). I played United with this formation and they just tore me apart, but with the 4-3-3, there struggled to break through.

My results so far this season:

demo2j.jpg

We're top of the League, but only a handful of games gone. I though that we would collapse as soon as the competitive action started but that fear has very much been allayed, thankfully.

Really enjoying this Man City game, which is a shame because I'll never continue it once the full game is out as I like to have plenty of countries loaded with a large database. I'm certain, however, that I'll start my first 'proper' game with The Citizens :thup:

Been watching a film with the wife so haven't loaded up the game but from what I remember...

I set up the tactic using the new wizard, and then selected roles for each player (where I felt it was needed). I haven't bothered going any deeper than that so far, and judging by how we are playing, I don't think I'll be doing it in the near future.

One thing I do do though is to change the team strategy occasionally as the match plays out. Be it more attacking if we need a goal, or more defensive/counter if we are in the lead.

PS - someone finally shortens my name properly :cool:

Decided i would start a City save.

The squad looks very strong especially the first 11, the only glaring weakness was RB apart from that all thats needed is some good back up rotation players, with that in mind and me wanting to play a 4-4-2 these were my transfers.

Transfers In

Otamendi - 3 mill

Skjelbred - 2.5 mill

Srna - 16 mill

Transfers Out

Javier Garrido - 2.6 mill

Results So Far

x1hh84.png

Some really good results there especially 2-0 over United and 3-0 over Loserpool

Do you guys have problems with the passing completion percentage of your team? In every game I played never had a percentage >75% and I play a short passing game and I had Barry with 18 passing and Hamsik with 17 in the center midfield. Seems this is a general issue. I checked the other matches in the league and the passing completion stats were mostly in the 60-70% constantly. Fabregas had a passing completion percentage of 71% in 15 games. Lol. For me, Barry had only 77%. Other thing that buggs me is the tacklings/game ratio for every player. Nobody seems to win 3 or 4 tackles/game constantly.

Started a city game the other day, so far i've brought in;

Mario Balotelli - £35 million - Just wanted to see how good hewas on FM10

Danielle De Rossi - £40 million - Has performed superbly sofar

Diego Capel - £12.5 million - a poor signing it turns out

Bacary Sagna - £25 million - Perfect right back if a little pricey

I've been trying a number of different tactics so far, can't settle on one. What do people suggest tactics-wise including my new signings? Also any training tips?

So far, in the games that count, ive beaten Man u 2-1, lost to Liverpool 1-0 and beaten Hull 2-0, to a bad start to the season but we havn't been playing very good football and it was a close match with Hull. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Good to know everyone is getting along nicely with their saves, can't wait for the full game myself...

A bit shocking, I lost to Blackpool in the cup and then drew with Pompey, so I've tweaked my tactics a bit now ;) Really happy with my squad, so it must be my tactics....

That 6-1 over Man U was bloody impressive by the way William Hall! :D

Anyone else who has sold Garrido finding that the board just won't pipe down about it?

"We are disappointed at the sale of Javier Garrido, as we felt he had something to offer the club..."

We're top of the League mate, shut your face.

Just about managed to leave my Coventry save for a few hours to start a new one with City. I'm loving my Coventry save so much that I even played it through half time when watching the City game!

So i've started a new one and chosen title challenge as my objective. Trying to treat it like the full game though ie. not buying a left back and sticking with Bridgey and buying someone young as back up. Hopefully give myself a good idea of some of the transfers I might go for on the full game.

In mine the board wouldn't give me the opportunity to not accept a £3m bid for him and then lots of complaints from them and the fans (especially). Of course, I was fine with the offer being accepted!

I had a £45m bid for Fabregas but then the stupid AM offered him a contract that he rejected when I accidentally missed the chance to negotiate by going on holiday.... but it's the demo so I don't really care.

Now top after beating Chelsea 4-0 away. Vucinic has started getting into it now and scored both in a 2-1 victory over West Ham. He has excellent movement.

SWP is really creative on the wing, I'm liking him a lot - always seems to find space. God bless high pace!

I'm having a wee palermo save myself now. Just for something different.

Wee_aja: is swp not good enough? Maxi does sound amazing though! ;)

Do we all feel it'll be pretty easy to win the league on full game then? What about CL season two?

Transfers in:

Enyeama - £210k

Mexes - £17m over 48 months

Chivu - £20m over 48 months

Vargas - £9.5m

De Rossi - £35m

Veloso - £20m

Cristaldo - £1m

Balotelli - £30m over 48 months

Out:

Garrido - £2.9m - Hull

Bridge - Loan £1.8m - Fiorentina

Benjani - £1.8m - Middlesborough

Petrov - £4.5m - Roma

Said I would win the league & got £79m to spend

Just about to play my 1st game of the season away to Man Utd.

the--dud - SWP is good enough, yes, but Maxi is so much better. I'm training SWP to play LW so he can fill in for either Robinho or Maxi.

In the full game I will actually sell Robinho and get someone in who is a team player. Yes you read that correctly: I'll sell Robinho.

Wee Aja: To be honest I'll probably do what I usual do, drop him and not playing him season one then when he starts moaning I end up selling him at the start of season two. So annoying how he's terribly inconsistent in the game :(

But sadly there are easily 10 other AMLs who performs so much better than him, possibly more!

Wee Aja: Well, that's why you're the manager: to make decisions like that, isn't it? To be honest I've found in FM that if you keep winning stuff you don't get moaned at much. Board, Fans, Players all seem to be happy and let things slide :)

Anyone else who has sold Garrido finding that the board just won't pipe down about it?

"We are disappointed at the sale of Javier Garrido, as we felt he had something to offer the club..."

We're top of the League mate, shut your face.

Funny thing is Aja if you don't sell him and a offer comes in for him

the board will accept the bid on your behave, as they think the offer is to good to turn down..:confused:

Mike-UK: ...and then in a later press conference the journalists asks if you're annoyed the board went over your head and sold him :D Funny...

L.McDaDe: Tevez is amazing, so prolific and reliable. Amazing attributes, because he's so hard-working and determined he rarely fails to score! :thup:

Mike-UK: Are you playing on the demo yourself or holding out for the full release? If you are, post your signings and tactics and feel free to let us know your progress :thup: And by the way, Subotic is he better than FM09 then? Don't suppose you want to post a screenshot?

the dud: Playing demo aswell.. To be honest only played Subotic in pre-match friendly's, but what i have seen of him looks to be good.. Hoping a good

training schedule will make him a beast and make centre-back his own.:D One for the future.

Will try and post screenshot for you later pal :thup:

I'm having a wee palermo save myself now. Just for something different.

Wee_aja: is swp not good enough? Maxi does sound amazing though! ;)

Do we all feel it'll be pretty easy to win the league on full game then? What about CL season two?

I really don't want to win the league first season on the full game. As crazy as it sounds i'd rather just get into the top four and get into the Champions League and possibly win a domestic trophy then start to challenge the title in the second season. My aim is to eventually win more than 18 league titles and more than 5 European Cups to become the most successful team in England!

Has anyone tried to sign the CSKA goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev..?

What him as when Shay Given hangs up his gloves i have a quality goalkeeper to step straight in.. Made a £19m bid which was rejected.. :confused: (Valued £7.5m)

Don't really want to spend so much on a goalie even if we do have all the money in the world, so has anyone actually signed him before, and how much does he actually go for..?

Cheers guys :thup:

TheInvisibleMan: I understand what you mean, the board expectations will be higher for season two if you win the league as well... Ideally you'd like to have a gradual rise, but you're hardly going to throw games intentionally just so you finish third are you? ;)

About keepers I believe Akinfeev, Adler, Lloris and Neuer have almost identical potential.

Then Mandanda, Kameni, Ocha, Asenjo, Benaglio plus some other ones are probably a tier down, but still excellent?

So has anyone tried playing a "realistic" half-season on the demo then? Setting a realistic goal at season one and signing more realistic/long-term targets?

Wee Aja: To be honest I'll probably do what I usual do, drop him and not playing him season one then when he starts moaning I end up selling him at the start of season two. So annoying how he's terribly inconsistent in the game :(

But sadly there are easily 10 other AMLs who performs so much better than him, possibly more!

So i've got him absolutely spot on then :cool:

When i scouted Igor Akinfeev from CSKA, my scout never said to me how much he would probably go for..

i.e A reasonable bid that CSKA would accept..!

Why is that..? How long do you scout a player for, 1,2 or 3 matches as i have only been

scouting over a cause of 1 match..?

Cheers guys :thup:

Don't think there is a set rule, depend on the quality of your scout I know... Also might be a bit random to be honest. Try scouting him two times and see, but sometimes it might never show on certain players.

Matthewas: Nice one, good job there! Who do you play as DMC, 2xMC, AMC on your diamond midfield?

Moussa Sissoko is supposedly amazing this year, huge talent. How did he perform for you?

A bit of a shame selling the prodigy son SWP though I suppose if you don't play wingers he's not needed...

In general, I've got a feeling that Srna/Vargas will feature in a lot of Man City teams on FM10 ;) Terrific full-backs at a reasonable price!

the--dud: Ok cheers pal..

Well all pre-season friendly's out the way, its down to the real business now. Trip to Old Trafford.. :p

Bet Man Utd fans are gutted at the loss of Carlos Tevez, his pre-season stats are: Played 5/Scored 12.. :D

Just to let you know my summer signings were:

Neven Subotic - £8m (Expensive for a young lad but looks a real future star)

Marek Hamsik - £10m (Quality young central midfielder, had a great pre-season)

Edin Dzeko - £18m (Selling Bellamy, he aint going to improve as getting old)

Aye, I've said it before Tevez is an absolute beast on FM10 :D Amazing striker...

Mike-UK: You keeping your faith in Micha Richards and Wayne Bridge then I take it? :thup: Subotic and Hamsik are top-draw young talent. Very good price for Hamsik as well. Wouldn't mind to see a screenshot of Subotic actually... Can't check it myself, at work now.

the--dud: Found Wayne Bridge to be abit inconsistent, got beat by wingers far to often.. So i play Lescott at left-back now and its much improved.. As for Micha Richards he has been solid for me so far..

I do rotate Nedum Onuoha and Neven Subotic at centre-back at the moment who do a good job, but will look for a new central defender just aint came across the right one yet.. :rolleyes:

Archived