FM10 Official Arsenal Thread - You can win anything with kids!

arsenal_2111

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started again with Arsenal last night to try a new formation and some new signings. I found that the 4-5-1 aesametric formation works very very well, it's surely gotten the best out of Arshavin who has scored 1/2 goals each game in pre-season and in the first few matches of the actual season playing in the AMC role. The only problem with it is finding a natural left winger (I bought Di Maria but with it being ML and not AML, it's not his natural position). I tried changing it so it is the other way round (AML and MR instead of ML and AMR) because Van Persie is injured and it works ok, but when he is back it will make it harder for me to decide which way to have it.

I'm at work at the moment so can't provide screenshots or anything, but when I get home I will post some up.

matuidi was about 6.5 million straight up with a % of the future fee (30% i think)

fazio was about 15/16 million, sell on fee again and about 10 million straight up with another 5 or 6 over 12 months

fazio is still brilliant and can play dm

i really want a new gk as i dont rate almunia

I actually find Almunia to be pretty decent for first season. He has all the important stats just about enough. I'll only consider buying a new GK if I have spare money, which I usually don't. Personally, a new GK is a summer 2010 thing.

Has anyone managed to offload Almunia. Although i find him pretty decent i want to experiment with bringing in Ochoa as first choice with Enynma as back up. The problem is i cant sell Manuel. This is just something i am trying out in the demo before fridays release.

I have given FM10 Demo a shot and started out with Arsenal to see how the game fare. Tactically, I'm having trouble as off the top of my head, my defensive partnership of Clichy - Gallas - Vermaelen - Sagna can't deal with through balls/ balls over the top. Also, when my fullback commit in for the tackle, he misses and the CB aren't there to cover. Vermaelen is a normal Defender whist Gallas is a stopper. My whole team can't possibly win the ball in matches leading to assistant feedbacks like "team were disappointing in tackling".

I've used the Wizard and set my fullbacks on 'Fullback' with 'Support' away, 'Attack' at home. The team's instructions are Rigid Philosophy, Control away from home and Attack at home. Closing down set to 'Stand off' away and 'Press More'. I've always believed that for a great tactic, the best foundation to have is a solid back four.

So, do you guys have any ideas on this?

I have given FM10 Demo a shot and started out with Arsenal to see how the game fare. Tactically, I'm having trouble as off the top of my head, my defensive partnership of Clichy - Gallas - Vermaelen - Sagna can't deal with through balls/ balls over the top. Also, when my fullback commit in for the tackle, he misses and the CB aren't there to cover. Vermaelen is a normal Defender whist Gallas is a stopper. My whole team can't possibly win the ball in matches leading to assistant feedbacks like "team were disappointing in tackling".

I've used the Wizard and set my fullbacks on 'Fullback' with 'Support' away, 'Attack' at home. The team's instructions are Rigid Philosophy, Control away from home and Attack at home. Closing down set to 'Stand off' away and 'Press More'. I've always believed that for a great tactic, the best foundation to have is a solid back four.

So, do you guys have any ideas on this?

I've also conceded goals in this way. The do seem vulnerable to route one counter attacks. Given that the Verminator's stats aren't going to be updated until the second patch (or so I'm led to believe), perhaps tweaking with his attributes before you start your full game on Friday to make him more realistic may help. I've found Senderos more effective in this situation in the air, but if the ball is on the deck he dithers. If doesn't help that Almunia isn't great with one-to-ones. It happens less if I've got a DMC anchored ahead of the defence. Another thing to remember is to make sure you check which subs are attackers before the match and give instructions to mark them tightly as tired defenders don't need to be giving the opposition lots of space.

Perhaps the only real answer is to do it the Arsenal way and try to score more goals than the opposition. Could make for some exciting games!

One other thing (I'm 37 and far too excited about Friday, does it show?). The kits.

There will be an opportunity to amend a few things with the editor before starting the game. I'm not going to be doing too much tweaking but I will be making changes to the 3rd choice kit. Regardless of the reality, there is no way I'm letting my boys wear those Tottenham-esque colours. I'll be keeping the Navy Blue kit, thanks to FMRTE I can easily amend the shirt colour back to Yellow at the end of this season.

I was thinking of reverting to the Dark Blue & Claret hoops for the third strip as that looked classy.

Is anyone else thinking of doing this? We all know that Arsenal's default colours are Red & White at home, Yellow & Blue away, but what's your take on a default colour for the 3rd strip?

Why dont you download the kit graphics and facepack for major leagues in the game? The can be found at www dot sortitoutsi dot net

One other thing (I'm 37 and far too excited about Friday, does it show?). The kits.

There will be an opportunity to amend a few things with the editor before starting the game. I'm not going to be doing too much tweaking but I will be making changes to the 3rd choice kit. Regardless of the reality, there is no way I'm letting my boys wear those Tottenham-esque colours. I'll be keeping the Navy Blue kit, thanks to FMRTE I can easily amend the shirt colour back to Yellow at the end of this season.

I was thinking of reverting to the Dark Blue & Claret hoops for the third strip as that looked classy.

Is anyone else thinking of doing this? We all know that Arsenal's default colours are Red & White at home, Yellow & Blue away, but what's your take on a default colour for the 3rd strip?

James :(

I won't either, mainly because it's easy to get the skin by extracting etc.

Good idea with the link :thup:

I know you can extract the skin easily by just taking the skin file and bringing it over. Any ideas how to extract the full facepacks for Arsenal including club logos?

Cheers

Try extracting graphics.fmf in the data file. I'm not sure if that'll work, but I know that's where stuff like this normally is.

Yup I replaced that file with my current demo. Prob the best way to do it is take the skin only then use the normal graphics for facepack and logos.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Nonlondoner

arsenals third kit is the new white one so i will stick with that

Got to admit, that was a pretty fantastic kit.

Worst was the first season at The Emirates, the sponsor name rubbed off the shirt (although I literally wore it everyday :rolleyes:)

My thoughts on the demo so far:

I really, REALLY like the new positional tactics bit and the touchline, it's a very good move from SI.

I also like the general team assessment bit, basically we own at everything apart from being short and weak. It really is food for thought, especially the weaknesses. Based on this, I have found that the "hard tackling" and "hassle opponents" can sometimes help when you are playing a strong mean tall team like Blackburn. Also when I see that we have a "touch advantage", my logic suggest a direct, killer attacking game.

My favoured formations are 4-1-2-1-2 and my modified version which is 5-2-1-2 (basically the DM falls into DC, the fullbacks become "attacking" and the central DC becomes a stopper)

Talking of stoppers, someone else in this thread mentioned Fazio as a stopper which is MINT; I have already tried it. He runs up and puts a name on EVERYTHING.. he had 23 headers 23 won 3 key in his first game there. Not bad. Senderos is surprisingly abysmal at it, considering.

4-2-1-2 is, of course, wingerless. I chose it because we have 3 natural AMCs and NO natural wingers (gibbs/traore are the best Nat wingers!!).

Whichever formation I choose, buying a good MC is the first thing I do, and then a DM or a DC, depending. With the 3 DC formation I tend to think of a more attacking MC, and with the default diamond I go for a more defensive MC.

One thought on our "squad assessment". Because of our weaknesses in strength and hieght, I naturally think to look for players with height and strength. A player like Fellaini stands out a mile as a tall, strong, young workhorse with good height and heading, a good partner for Cesc? BTW, has anyone else tried De Rossi? He can be bought for 30+mil and large % of next sale

One last thought.. what do people think the best roles are for the key members of the starting squad, based on RL/stats?

Cesc: Advanced Playmaker seems to be the general opinion. (As ever, godly killer balls, in fact based on this I have tried a Cesc playmaker /direct passing strat with pretty good results )

Edu: I can't bear to select anything other than Poacher for him.. FOX IN THE BOX WORSHIP WORSHIP

Theo: I use him as Deep-Lying Forward, mostly because of his pace

Bendtner: Obvious target man, not a bad poacher, it seems

Vela: any ideas guys?

Rosicky:?

Nasri:?

Denilson:?

Arshavin: Pretty hard to make him not perform at AMC. He is godly as Inside forward attack, he loves run with ball. Seriously.

EDIT: Oh! I thought of one more thing. This bit is probably my tactics (disclaimer) but I cannot get anyone to tackle, and win tackles, on the Analysis page. I get loads and loads of interceptions (which is good I suppose) but very few tackles. Even when I get a world-class ball winner. Hmm. Guess me tactics are pants :-) (Default everything, Fluid, Attacking, More Roaming as a base with situational tweaks - e.g. Control as default away to mid-table sides)

Winning 4-0 v Blackburn - van Persie has a hatrick, all screamers from outside the area. That takes it to 5 goals from outside the area from him in a week.

EDIT: Won 5-1 in the end, all 5 goals (Cesc and Vela got the other two) were from outside the area.

Thinking maybe this needs looking at...

Winning 4-0 v Blackburn - van Persie has a hatrick, all screamers from outside the area. That takes it to 5 goals from outside the area from him in a week.

EDIT: Won 5-1 in the end, all 5 goals (Cesc and Vela got the other two) were from outside the area.

Thinking maybe this needs looking at...

Do you mean lots of long shots or lots of goals from long shots? I don't think it's necessarily surprising that we score a lot from long shots. As for having a lot of long shots, I think it could be a tactics issue. I get a LOT of long shots with my current tactic.Arsh and Fab score a lot of them but they can also miss a lot, too. In 09 I used to fiddle a lot with the long shots and creative freedom slider. I haven't touched them yet in 10.

So I suspect that the main reason is due to my players not having any other option, or they just think it's a good idea :p. My 4-1-2-1-2 formation means there's a lot of play through the middle esp. if sagna and clichy are feeling slack or otherwise indisposed. What also happens is that a lot of opposition teams have a tendency of really throwing bodies behind the ball in front of their area.

To me, this means the players can struggle to find space to receive passes, particularly if 1) you are playing a narrow formation, as I am and 2) if roaming is off (i presume, I always have it on). Hence all the long shots.

So, I've had a quick brainstorm of possible ways to avoid long shots (and I'm not trying to patronise you or anything parent poster, you've piqued my interest and led me to an interesting train of thought, thanks)

1) Different formation

2) "Work ball into box"

3) A more counter attacking style

4) Less freedom/long shots - not really the arsenal way :(

5) Better "decisions"

6) Less short passing, more direct.. gives the opponents less time to get back

No doubt there is many more.. it's really interesting when I think about it. And to think in all previous FM versions all I used to do was use the long shots and creative freedom sliders and moan :p

Also, was their keeper shi** :p

*post cut down to avoid long quote*

Thanks for the time you took to write that out - I appriciate it!

However, I'm not finding that there are too many long shots - especially after making Moussa Sissoko learn to not shoot from distance so much! I'm just finding that too high a percentage of all the goals that I score are coming from long shots, although the three players who get them don't have bad Long Shots stats (Fab 13, Vela 13, vP 16) I think that 8/11 is too many goals from outside the area.

I'm going to look specifically for this in more matches, and I'll let you know if this turns out to just be a coincidence or if there could be something in it.

Again, thanks for the post :)

Claret & gold 3rd kit experience was unsuccessful. It looked awful in the game. Like Rob, I'll go for the Claret & Blue hoops.

Good performance from the some of the kids last night. Gilbert is usually the first of the reserve that I place on the transfer market, but I may have to have another look. Eastmond too, looks like one to hang on to. Though FM2010 may be coded differently.

Right the games out tomorrow and most of us had a good work out with the demo. What do you think is the best formation for the team and who are the players you are going to sign in your first transfer window.

for me 4-5-1 has worked great and will be signing Ocaha, Sabotic and Karcar and sell only Silvest ..and then in January move for Camacho and sell song and Diaby

I would extend Gallas as he still has a lot to offer and you can't sell him for much. I am not sure about Senderos as although i would like ot keep him he plays silly buggers when you try to extend his contract. I always give up and sellhim th Everton for £6m. Don't sell Bentdner and i personally would go for Ochoa over Asenjo, rotating him with Manuel to start off.

There are enough AMC and i would groom Ramsey as the long term replacement for our Barcelona bound number 4.

I ahve always got Fazio before as he can cover two key positions, but i will go for Camacho as a defensive midfield player.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

I'll be using my 4-5-1 aesametric (spelling?) formation that I posted above.

Buys: Di Maria, Mousa Sissoko and maybe Dzeko (I bought him in the last minute of the transfer window (because all of my players were inured!).

If you want to get the best out of Arshavin, use him as a AMC, most of his goals are coming from taking it past 3/4 players and slipping it into the back of the net.

Right the games out tomorrow and most of us had a good work out with the demo. What do you think is the best formation for the team and who are the players you are going to sign in your first transfer window.

personally will be sticking with the 4-5-1 i made and will probably go for Dzeko & Kacar again as i did in the demo, migth stick with Gallas though as there weren't too many defensive options for me to buy but will get rid of Bendtner and possibly Eduardo

As I think I've mentioned already, Diaby has been a very good MC sub for me. Coming on and running at tired defences and scoring 6 goals. Senderos was looking like a stayer until last night when I played him in two games and, despite his fantastic aerial ability, was skinned far too often.

I got a call from HMV just now. My copy is "ready for collection but they can't sell it to me until tomorrow". Not sure whether to pop round there.

Popped round there and they are playing by the rules. Pah!

Unlike most people, I'll be getting off my backside and walking down the town to buy my copy tomorrow.

Chances are when I get the game and start my annual save with Arsenal that I'll be changing a lot in terms of playing staff. I like having a small sqaud of around 22-24 players so I need to sell to achieve this. Currently, I'm looking at selling:

Armand Traore

Mikael Silvestre

Abou Diaby

Mark Randall

Nicklas Bendtner

And possibly:

Denilson

Fran Merida (althoug after watching him last night, I'm very tempted to keep him).

I'm planning on using Walcott as a striker this time, and playing a 4-1-2-1-2 and sometimes a 4-3-2-1 depending on injuries. I had a very very succesful save with this formation (the 4-1-2-1-2) and with a Walcott-Vela partnership up front. Rosicky may also be sold in order to make room.

I'm still a bit sketchy in terms of what I want to do with Arsenal this, formation wise, so it's something for me to think about.

Although Song looks a very solid player this year, I recommend you bring in a DM. Moussa Sissoko looks just as good as last year and although he's been toned down, Miguel Veloso still looks very solid. Sebastien Kehl look an absolute beast and is cheap as well as very experienced. Palombo still looks very good as well.

I suggest brining in a goalkeeper as Almunia is solid and not very spectacular. Fabiasnki is a handy backup but not better than Almunia, and Mannone simply isn't good enough for the Arsenal first team so a new goalkeeper is essiential here. Igor Akinfeev is cheaper this year although has very poor aerial ability. Ochoa retains his standards from last year and Steve Mandanda looks very good although be prepared to fork out a fair bit of cash. Another option you can take is keep Almunia in goal and buy Scott Muggleton from Huddersfiled on a free. He's only 16 but has immense potential. Alphonse Areola from PSG is another young option with lots of talent.

You may or may not want to be a centre back. Vermaelen is still solid despite not being rated by the Arsenal researcher yet. Gallas and Senderos make a good partnership, and Silvestre an emergency backup. Nicolas Otamendi is a popular choice for centre back. £3M or so from Velez and has very high potential.

Hope that helps.

Only to fix some bugs though. Any data adjustments won't be made until the second patch, unfortunately.

So how's everyone finding this new tactical wizard? Personally, I'm reverting back to the classic version. When I use the wizard to create tactics I seem to lose track of what's going on with my players and it's harder to make small adjustments. At least with the sliders I know what I'm doing.

I managed to whip a very effective tactic for Villareal in a quick FM09 save a couple of days ago. It made use of their very creative midfielders and attackers and although it was a bit leaky at the back, it did score it's fair share of goals; 60 odd in about twenty or so games. I'm hoping to achieve this same effect with Arsenal, just with a better defence of course. I take it I can trust you guys of for help should I need it?

Although Song looks a very solid player this year, I recommend you bring in a DM. Moussa Sissoko looks just as good as last year and although he's been toned down, Miguel Veloso still looks very solid. Sebastien Kehl look an absolute beast and is cheap as well as very experienced. Palombo still looks very good as well.

I suggest brining in a goalkeeper as Almunia is solid and not very spectacular. Fabiasnki is a handy backup but not better than Almunia, and Mannone simply isn't good enough for the Arsenal first team so a new goalkeeper is essiential here. Igor Akinfeev is cheaper this year although has very poor aerial ability. Ochoa retains his standards from last year and Steve Mandanda looks very good although be prepared to fork out a fair bit of cash. Another option you can take is keep Almunia in goal and buy Scott Muggleton from Huddersfiled on a free. He's only 16 but has immense potential. Alphonse Areola from PSG is another young option with lots of talent.

You may or may not want to be a centre back. Vermaelen is still solid despite not being rated by the Arsenal researcher yet. Gallas and Senderos make a good partnership, and Silvestre an emergency backup. Nicolas Otamendi is a popular choice for centre back. £3M or so from Velez and has very high potential.

Hope that helps.

Thanks mate :thup:

After a bunch of saves on the demo, I'm happy to say I'm finally having success with my 4-2-3-1 (2 CMS, 1 AMR, AML, and AMC) I find it's the only formation where I can accommodate all the players. In terms of Defend/Support/Attack roles, I play a 2-7-1 system. The CBs on defend duty, and the striker as attacker. The CMs, wingers, and full-backs are on the same mentality, with AMC slightly lower so he drops deep to pick up the ball and do whatever it is advanced play-makers do.

I never change my mentality (balanced, counter) since in terms of movement and positioning it is working very well. I only change the width, passing, tempo, and DL. And really...I only play two mains ways.

When I'm favorites, I play short, slow, and wide passing game with high DL. Gives me +60% possession as I recycle attacks after attacks, which means the other team tires really quickly from chasing the ball (and shadows!), the chances I carve out are very good, and there's very little chance of them counter-attacking and scoring.

When I'm in a tight game or as under-dog, then I play quick, long, narrow (relatively narrow since I usually play wide, but in absolute term the width is bang on in the middle,) medium DL (good teams usually have some good players with long-shot abilities or strikers with good aerial abilities) and counter-attack ticked on. This is because I want to keep it tight, since the other team will most definitely have a very good offense full of wonderful attacking players, and I can still score my goals on counter-attacks. My front 4 can usually conjure up a goal or two with their sheer excellence.

I found that during corner, if I leave my ST, AMC, AML, and AMR to remain forward, I can pull off a couple counter-attack each game. It helps that my players are very good of course. Defending with 6 players seems to be enough.

However, I'm hearing that the corner-cheat is still working so I'm warning everyone away from it. It might be fun at first, but can really ruin the game. If you're going to use it, use it in meaningless games. I know I use it against minnows when I try to break the biggest winning record, LOL.

My transfers...

IN:

- Vargas (rotate with Clichy)

- Mexes

- Moutinho

- Veloso

- Camacho (why is he so cheap? just 5m)

- Ashley Young

- Obasi

- Angel di Maria (steal of the century)

OUT:

- Diaby

- Song

- Randall

- Traore

- and a bunch of youngsters

*the 48 months installments was key to me being able to sign those players.

Defense Analysis

With Eboue, Sagna, Vargas, and Clichy, I think I have the best set of full-backs in the world! They play safety first, but also provide support for the midfield, especially since my wingers do so much attacking and very little defending. Mexes was needed because Vermaelen is not very good. Senderos and Vermaelen are very good back-ups. I simply don't like Silvestre, but I fail trying to sell him, so he stays on as my 5th choice CB and 3rd choice LB. GAllas is being trained to provide cover for RB as well.

Central Midfield Analysis

With Veloso, Moutinho, Denilson, and Cesc rotating the 2 CM spot I always have two central midfielders who are very good going forward, and still do a decent job in defense. I try to play with two combos of Denilson/Cesc and Veloso/Moutinho because Denilson and VEloso provide stronger defense, and Cesc and Moutinho attack the box better. Ramsey provide cover. Camacho, I don't have too much space for him, especially since he doesn't provide much going forward, but he was too good to turn down at 5m. Also, he's 19 so doesn't take up any space in my 25-man UCL squad.

Attacking Trio (AML, AMR, AMC) Analysis

I retrained RvP as an AMC and he's doing a wonderful job rotating with Arshavin. :thup:

With Arshavin, RvP, Obasi, Walcott, Angel Di Maria, Ashley Young, Nasri, and Rosicky, I have EIGHT players competing for THREE positions! I'm quite certain I can handle anything but the worst and most impossible injury crisis. It also helps that a lot of them are versatile. I don't think Rosicky will get lots of game time though, since he's too slow to displace Walcott, Maria, Young, and Obasi (my main wingers) on the flanks, and his attributes are simply inferior to Arshavin and RvP. Nasri though, should see plenty of game time as a squad player and super-sub. He might even displace RvP, in which case, RvP will take his place as the squad player and super-sub.

Striker Analysis

I would love to have three complete forwards competing for that one spot up front. But for now, I have Bendtner, Eduardo, and Vela. I decide to with playing a poacher up front since somebody needs to do the scoring and with 5 creative players behind him, he gets plenty of chances. All three of them are doing well enough. However, Vela is still under-developed so he's the main sub, and all of them are too slow at times. Definitely looking to improve this area next season, once I have the full game.

It's just so good to know that I've finally got something to work with once I have the full game. Hope you guys are enjoying the game as much as I am! And I hope my post will give a few people some ideas on their own game! Cheers all!

Archived