The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

AS reckons we've signed Belletti for €5.5m. Wiki has him at Chelsea as well. Link

Erm, intitial reactions are disappointed, but I really can't remember too much about Belletti that stands out other than he's not very good defensively.

Originally posted by jaybob:

How definite is this Belletti transfer? Looked on Sky Sports website, 365, SSN, wiki and official Chelsea site and none of them mention it. AS have been known to be wrong...

I certainly blimmin' hope they are. If we get £21m from Robben (good riddance tbh), then refusing to spend four or five million extra on a player of Alves' phenomenal quality is pathetic, in view of how happily we've splashed on much lesser players. Ferreira's better than Belletti, for Chrissakes!

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has launched a withering attack on the Premier League after Gabriel Heinze's bid to force through a move to Anfield failed.

The Argentina defender had gone to a Premier League panel claiming Manchester United had written a letter allowing him to leave if another club offered �6.8million.

But the panel have dismissed Heinze's case and backed United, who maintained they made it clear to the 29-year-old both orally and in writing that he would not be permitted to join one of their title rivals.

It now appears that if Heinze is intent on leaving the club he will have to move abroad, and there have been reports in Spain that a deal has already been agreed between United and Real Madrid for the defender.

But Benitez is furious that Liverpool appear to have missed out on Heinze, though he could yet appeal against the arbitration panel's verdict.

Benitez told the Liverpool Echo: "I would like to ask the Premier League a number of questions.

"How can a player with a signed agreement be treated like this?

"He has a document which is clear, but the Premier League prefers to believe the word of someone else who made a mistake.

"I know there were accusations made against Liverpool in the hearing which were unbelievable. How can this be allowed?

"Then I would like to ask the Premier League why is it that Liverpool always plays the most fixtures away from home in an early kick-off, following an international break? We had more than the top clubs last season and we have four already to prepare for this season."

He then - somewhat bizarrely given the story dominated the news agenda for most of the close-season - claims it was "so easy" for United to sign Tevez.

Benitez added: "Then I want to ask the Premier League why it was so difficult for Liverpool to sign Javier Mascherano, when we had to wait a long time for the paperwork, but it was so easy for Carlos Tevez to join Manchester United?

"It's going to be very difficult for us to win the Premier League because the other teams are so strong, but I want our supporters to know that despite the disadvantages we have, we will fight all the way.

"We will fight to cope with our more difficult kick-off times and all the other decisions which are going against us."

Sounds like Jose but with more bullcrap. Bolded bit particularly hilarious icon_biggrin.gif

Not that anyone should get involved in Chelsea and Man Utd people having a go at Liverpool icon_wink.gif : but doesn't he mean the actual findings took longer for Liverpool than Man Utd. Sure Man Utd had to wait ages for that Premier League meeting, but once the meeting happened they gave the ruling that very day didn't they?

Originally posted by Cottager:

so...clearly there's a way to just leave a team and join another for free quite easily there, due to coming out of retirement? what haven't I thought of?

Kinda. Ali Bernabia did it when he was at Citeh, he retired, then joined some Arab club. However, when Collymore was at Oviedo, he retired and tried signing for some non-league club but Oviedo claimed to still hold his registration, and wanted money for it. Which the non-league club told them to **** off basically

Signing Belletti, ffs. He's a Middlesbrough standard player at best, I've no idea how he survived so long at Barca. He's certainly not a Jose-type player as, for his decent attacking merit he literally cannot defend at all. £27m is rather overboard for Daniel Alves, but it's only £3m over what we're supposedly receiving for Robben so it's not much of an outlay for a truly spectacular player. I think I know who I'll be selling first if I ever buy FM again. This has actually made our right back position even weaker, phenomenally, as he's weaker than Ferreira (who's not good at all to begin with), Johnson won't get the chance to develop and build confidence and there'll be no room for Diarra back there, who wasn't ideal but for a long time was the best we had avaliable. Maybe Belletti will surprise me like Geovanni is doing at Man City, but I won't be holding my breath.

Archived