THE greatest game of all time?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the greatest game ever, although the series is an all time classic.

The greatest game tag needs to be saved for games such as Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, Half Life, Civ 2, GTA 3, Minesweeper, Final Fantasy IV (I think) etc.

These game reached for the sky and succeeded- many transformed their genres and arguably have not been bettered since.

SO maybe CM 01/02 deserves to be included. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ok fair enough. Just I thought the idea of a community was that you could come talk about the game in whatever way you chose? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're damn right. Just he shouldn't moan and swear if people don't immediately agree.

Also, i didn't reply straight away because i was at work, working. Would dearly love to be able to reply in the middle of the day icon_smile.gif

alryt boys, im back from work.

Just to let you know, i put lol after most sentences because its just habit from that stupid msn.

And i swor a couple of times because people were coming in here and disregardin what the topic was actually about.

To the person who said 'its a topic for the sake of it', why would i do that? I actually wanted to know what people think of the game and the series as a whole, then it turnt into a 'top 5' thread which i kinda enjoyed icon_smile.gif

Kinda annoying when people have a go at you for asking a simple question

I didn't have a go, I just said that, to me, it feels like a thread for the sake of it.

Toanswer your original question, i grew up with CM, and eventually FM. Back in the day, circa 2000, when i was at college, studies would regularly get missed as i couldn't turn away from the game. The longest i played was 36 hours straight.

Those days seem a looooong time ago to me now. work has ushered it's way into my life, and the last patch 8.0.1 has made the game deeply unplayable, to my mind.

I hope 8.0.2 readresses the balance, and i still enjoy playing FM. But, at the moment, in all honesty I think Wii Sports and Mario v Sonic Olympics (also Wii) are 10, 20, 50 times more fun than FM.

My Top 5 games of all time

5. The Fifa Series - Now there definitly not as addictive as FM, but imo there two different types of games, in FM your the manager, while in Fifa you are the team, and i would also say it is alot easier to play against your friends on FIFA, than it is on FM.

4. The Sims/2 - Now most people probably think that it's more of a womens game, and i agree with you, as my girfriend, if she ever does go on the laptop i bought her this christmas, thats the game she goes on. And as much as i despise it, if you actually play the game you will appreciate just our realistic it is, in some ways this game is amazing.

3. GTA - This imo is the best shoot em up game of all time, it's realism may lack a bit but the graphics and just addictiveness of this game is immense.

2. FM - It should be first, but it just has so many problems. Like online play, bugs etc.

1 1/2 - CM - Arguably imo, more enjoyable AND addictive than FM ever has been.

1. WWF/E - These games for a wrestling fan like my self are amazing, the realism now days are sheer breath taking. Also it's evolution, in the 90's the PS1 graphics where what i would call these days, ****. And now to have some of the best graphics around imo, that is what a game is about, getting better each year. Which imo, FM has lacked in the last few years.

after considering it, i think i'll have to put the GTA series top now, purely for the fact that its just fun constantly. And theres music icon_smile.gif

And after hearing some of the rumors that are being banded about what you can do in GTA 4, im ready to give a leg for it to be released today haha

Interesting title and I thought I had the answer then it me thinking.

What is the greatest game?

Well to start off with it depends what game genres' you like. Then what actual early games changed the face of gaming. And there's a few more variables you can throw in there as well.

I know the PC mags have their top 50/100 games every year and over the last few years it has remained fairly constant..e.g. half-life, total war series, fm, bioshock type games and so on.

Personally I play Eve/FM/and a few rpg's along with some FPS and sim games (civ/city series). What dictates the best game for me is the mood I am in at the time.

So to cut to the quick I have played every cm/fm game released..do i like it no..am I addicted yes, can I get help for that addiction no!!!

icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robertodibaggio:

Location Bristol...says it all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats wrong with Bristol?

icon_mad.gif

Football Manager is indeed an exciting game that over the years has got better and better, I remember back in the CM days where you just picked the team and got some sort of result and then pressed continue and the next time it came back was when it was time for another match, their was not much that FM has now, You didn't sort out the tactics and you couldn't sort out all the formations, you didn't even have to have a goalkeeper in the early CM days so that proves just how far FM has come, although many users may complain I for one am one who believes that Football Manager is amazing and constantly improving as the versions go on, Here's to Football Manager Team for the great work they have been doing icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 51 Cent:

i know, thats why im insulting him because he just ruines the threads i make by, making stupid inappropiate comments if you managed to read the comments he's made </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well on this thread, he made one reply! There is no need to insult people, for not agreeing with you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 51 Cent:

i know, thats why im insulting him because he just ruines the threads i make by, making stupid inappropiate comments if you managed to read the comments he's made </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well on this thread, he made one reply! There is no need to insult people, for not agreeing with you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps I replied too soon there! I meant lowering yourself to his level. It aint big and it aint clever

My Best game ever would be an old game called elite, it was infinite, it was an adventure in space. It was only Black and white but fantastic.

You traded, tooled up your ship and even went on bounty hunts and you were monitored in the fact you started out “Mostly harmless†to the Final “Elite†after a very long time…

Space was populated by a variety of craft and objects with space stations. Anyone Mention “Diso†brings a tear to my eye…..No eye candy just pure joy.

I'd like FM to be in my top 5 but it's not quite there yet. Tactics and the way they are presented need to be improved, as well including better feedback from matches, then the game will feel more complete.

Top 5 for me are:

Powermonger (by Bullfrog)

Medieval Total War (by Creative Assembly)

The whole Baldurs Gate series (by Bioware)

Sensible World of Soccer (by Sensible Software)

Transport Tycoon (by Chris Sawyer)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seriously, just sit back and think.... ...You just have to think sometimes, how good this game really is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...Creepiness on a scale of 1 to 10:

Though, I do have to say the game is good. I'm not sure 2008 could make my personal all-time top games, but I think 2007 would:

5. Pong (yes, I'm seriously)

4. EHM 2007

3. Flight Simulator 2004

2. Football Manager 2007

1. EHM 1.16 (freeware)

And within the FM series: *I've only been playing since midway through FM 2006

3. FM 2006

2. FM 2008

1. FM 2007

Once 2008 gets it's bugs straightened out, I think it could move to No. 1 for me.

okay i did think i confused everyone with how i explained it. I DID mean the game as whole, Vig2001 correctly pointed out the franchise. Sorry fo any confusion lads icon_wink.gif

But the thread has turned out into an interesting one i think.

Nice to see what other people think of the game (instead of coming in here to have a go at people) and also other games they feel should be up amongst the great.

Some idiots, just like to come into threads like this though and take cheap shots, but i don't think they have an actively working brain to actually give an opinion on the topic, just on other people icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

My Best game ever would be an old game called elite, it was infinite, it was an adventure in space. It was only Black and white but fantastic.

You traded, tooled up your ship and even went on bounty hunts and you were monitored in the fact you started out “Mostly harmless†to the Final “Elite†after a very long time…

Space was populated by a variety of craft and objects with space stations. Anyone Mention “Diso†brings a tear to my eye…..No eye candy just pure joy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great. Someone else that remembers this great game. I have the latest versions (now called X2 and X3 which are brilliant).

But going by the amount of time I spend on any particular game, it has to be CM and now FM. I spent most of my life travelling around and always have a copy of FM on my laptop. And it's amazing how many people will see me playing it on a train/plane and come over to speak with me about it (either because they have it and love it, or because they want to know what it is and how to get it).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great. Someone else that remembers this great game. I have the latest versions (now called X2 and X3 which are brilliant). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2 and X3 aren't proper sequels though for Elite are they? Regardless, I've wanted to get them for ages but need to invest in a new joystick for my PC, I detest playing flight/space sims with a keyboard and mouse.

Elite was my favourite game in my C64 days about 20 years ago...ah the glory days of computer gaming icon_frown.gif

1. Elite (BBC Micro) - I nearly died on several occasions due to a lack of sleep, food and drink whilst playing. Best game ever.

2. Hall of the Things (Spectrum) - Used to play this co-op with a mate, both using the keyboard. This added to the suspense as the game experience was oft punctuated by things being pulled or simply falling out/off the computer.

3. Pimania (Dragon 32) - I never did work it out, but it makes my list simply for the strange song on the cassette's "B" side.

4. X-Wing vs Tie Fighter (PC) - THE best space combat game, ever. Period.

5. CM4 - Apart from the frustating "Diablo" tactic and my friend's determination to use it in LAN games this is, IMO, the best football management game ever created. Bring back the wibble/wobble!

icon_smile.gif

P.S. I don't think the FM series would feature in my top ten were I to carry on. Good games, but have consolidated rather than innovated for too long.

I didn't think it was creepy to think yank boy. But then again none of your lot do, do they?

How many of our troops have your trigger-happy 'soldiers' killed now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You call people idiots, claim they don't think, accuse them of coming on here just to have a go and then come out with phrases along the lines of this - slagging off an entire nation.

Some of your posts are actually ok, but every third post with you is an insult - for gods sake cut it out.

In your own words:

"Some idiots, just like to come into threads like this though and take cheap shots, but i don't think they have an actively working brain to actually give an opinion on the topic, just on other people"

I didn't think it was creepy to think yank boy. But then again none of your lot do, do they?

How many of our troops have your trigger-happy 'soldiers' killed now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh dear, I've personally tried to be nice to you on here as it was obvious you were keen to get involved and have discussions, despite you throwing the odd insult around and inviting more stick onto yourself.

But comments like this are a disgrace. I for one am not a massive fan of Americas military mentality but to throw such generalised xenophobic remarks around here borders on racism and is not what we want to see. I suggest you cut it out before a mod sees fit to ban you.

Games I play most are FM2008 and Sim City Deluxe. Both are heavily customised by myself for realism and I can spend hours on either at one time. Can't really decide a "Best Game Ever" as I've enjoyed the GTA series a "helluvvalot" also but there's no denying that any game which takes away hours upon hours of your life is a classic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burscoughnian:

Games I play most are FM2008 and Sim City Deluxe. Both are heavily customised by myself for realism and I can spend hours on either at one time. Can't really decide a "Best Game Ever" as I've enjoyed the GTA series a "helluvvalot" also but there's no denying that any game which takes away hours upon hours of your life is a classic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

World of Warcraft would be way up there then icon_biggrin.gif

OK, i'll start by saying i am deeply sorry if i have offended anyone in anyway icon_frown.gif

I am not normally an offensive boy and i regret makin the comments I have, and so for that I apologise. No is no need for what I have said.

I haven't commented on these forums purely for the fact that when I did, people would come in and make comments that weren't anything to with the topic in question, as some of them have been doing. It's not an excuse for what I have said, just, it annoys me when people seem to think its smart to do so.

So saying that, can I ask for forgiveness from the people I have offended. I will not make another offensive comment, and that's a promise.

But please, could people stick to the topic that is asked.

Thanks lads icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:I suggest you cut it out before a mod sees fit to ban you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that happened watch the new post count drop icon_wink.gif

Archived