Endless injuries... argh!

Just the 10th game into my first season with Man Utd, but it seems like my players can't stop getting injured. There's sure to be at least one injured player for each game, and the worst thing is Cristiano Ronaldo keeps getting injured for every game he plays! Imagine, he plays one game, then gets injured and sidelined for weeks, plays another game, and gets sidelined for weeks again.

!@#$%^&*

Anyone else having this problem?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you implement a pre-season training schedule (heavy in stamina and strength training)?

Is your training schedule light enough not to stress players?

If the answer to either of these questions is 'no' then there is where your problems lie.

Pre-season fitness schedules toughen players up for the long season ahead and too heavy a training schedule will stress them out enough that they pick up small injuries easier.

How are your match tactics? Are players chasing a lot or tackling hard, for example? Many factors in a match will contribute to a liklehood of injury. Do you leave players on when they are obviously knackered? Do you start them when they are tired?

I haven't found the game to have too many injuries. I keep my training schedules middle of the road and I don't play tired players unless I have to. I had a pre-season schedule which upped fitness.

I get random injuries throughout the season, but I figure it is all part of the world of football. My club, Bournemouth, struggle constantly with injuries; small, niggly ones. Any club does, whether they're the mighty Cherries or the 'constantly-get-off-lightly-for-misdemeanors-while-the-little-clubs-suffer' ManUre. Sorry had to add that last bit due to my gripe at Premier clubs getting off scot-free all the time while the real teams suffer...sorry. My guess is you're getting your normal lot of injuries but you have been spoiled with the game being easier in previous versions. Welcome to a more realistic FM.

Injuries in FM are fine. You have a huge squad as United so learn to cope.

^ at no point does FM suggest any of this to you. Which is the second major issue with the game these days. Its not intuitive at all.

And no, injuries are not fine. I still dispute that a pro player will be out for 3 weeks with a sprained wrist, or out for a month with a twisted knee.

Since when did a bruise or a cut require a month's physio treatment?

That reminds me - bruised head - out for two weeks.

What utter rubbish. I play football twice a week, and if i get a stubbed toe/sprained wrist/twisted knee/bruised head i won't miss a minute.

Never seen any of these lengthy out times for small injuries. Nor have I seen countless upon countless injuries to one player. I am very careful with my training schedules (whilst maintaining the training effect upon player improvement). I am careful to substitute players that have taken a knock (if I can or feel the need to) and don't play players not fit enough to play.

I also had a lengthy pre-season training schedule that must have done wonders if you guys' gripes are to be held true.

Why should FM suggest that you need to take off an injured player or build up players fitness pre-season, Wakers? Is it not obvious?

I believe there is actually a helping hint, in game, that suggests you make a pre-season training schedule. It will appear when the game is processing. Have a look.

I see no problem with injuries. I am sure I am not the only one.

Anagain, I'll give you my personal experience. Then you can do a search and compare it with other people. Note the similarites :):

I play as KAA Gent in the Belgium League. I bought a striker off of Standard Liege, Igor de Camargo, for 1.5M (record transfer fee at the time for the club). I played him immediately in pre-season. 2 games into pre-season he was injured for 2 months. He came back, played a game and then he was out again for a month. He then continued to pick up knocks in games that kept him out for a total of 2 months in a 3 month period. He has just now picked up a broken leg that will keep him out for 7 months. And this happens to probably 75% of the signing I make, even youth team players and reserves.

So if you sprained your wrist would you not play for football for three weeks?

Depends how badly sprained it was. If I was a goalie then I'm sure I might not.

Look up sprained wrist. You may find it can be worse than you'd think...and painful.

Did you implement a pre-season training schedule (heavy in stamina and strength training)?

Is your training schedule light enough not to stress players?

If the answer to either of these questions is 'no' then there is where your problems lie.

Pre-season fitness schedules toughen players up for the long season ahead and too heavy a training schedule will stress them out enough that they pick up small injuries easier.

How are your match tactics? Are players chasing a lot or tackling hard, for example? Many factors in a match will contribute to a liklehood of injury. Do you leave players on when they are obviously knackered? Do you start them when they are tired?

I haven't found the game to have too many injuries. I keep my training schedules middle of the road and I don't play tired players unless I have to. I had a pre-season schedule which upped fitness.

I get random injuries throughout the season, but I figure it is all part of the world of football. My club, Bournemouth, struggle constantly with injuries; small, niggly ones. Any club does, whether they're the mighty Cherries or the 'constantly-get-off-lightly-for-misdemeanors-while-the-little-clubs-suffer' ManUre. Sorry had to add that last bit due to my gripe at Premier clubs getting off scot-free all the time while the real teams suffer...sorry. My guess is you're getting your normal lot of injuries but you have been spoiled with the game being easier in previous versions. Welcome to a more realistic FM.

Injuries in FM are fine. You have a huge squad as United so learn to cope.

They get alot more injuries onfield than off-field, which indicates that playing a game actually gives more problems than training does. My training schedules are in the medium too and I never pick a player whose condition is below 90.

And sorry, I'm 'griping' only because they get injured for every single game.

Depends how badly sprained it was. If I was a goalie then I'm sure I might not.

Look up sprained wrist. You may find it can be worse than you'd think...and painful.

Ehm, firstly, this effects outfield players.

Secondly, i have sprained my wrist, and broken one of them twice. Still - i do not see how a sore wrist stops you from playing football - if I, who only play football for fun, can play with a broken/sprained wrist, why would a pro not bandage it up and play? or have injections if they're that soft?

Anagain you're being ridiculous. Think of it logically:

- The longest that a sprained wrist can keep someone out of their job for is a month, no matter how severe it is. And even then that's if their wrist is essential to their job (i.e carpenter)

- The only use footballers have of their wrists is to support them if they fall (and maybe for taking throw ins). Therefore, a wrist is not essential to an outfield player.

- Taking the previous two accounts into consideration, a sprained wrist should be sufficiently healed for an outfield player to play football within 3 weeks. Well within 3 weeks.

Well I can think of two things.

Players use their arms to balance when striking a ball. Surely significant pain in your wrist is going to affect that movement.

Then there's rough tackling. If I, as an opposition player, notice a defenders has a heavily bandaged wright wrist then I am going to be a lot more physical on him. Can he take extra physicality? I think not.

I'm no physio. I don't really know the first thing about injuries. I can look things up on the internet, though, and the internet will tell me that sprained wrists can be serious.

Well I can think of two things.

Players use their arms to balance when striking a ball. Surely significant pain in your wrist is going to affect that movement.

Then there's rough tackling. If I, as an opposition player, notice a defenders has a heavily bandaged wright wrist then I am going to be a lot more physical on him. Can he take extra physicality? I think not.

I'm no physio. I don't really know the first thing about injuries. I can look things up on the internet, though, and the internet will tell me that sprained wrists can be serious.

I honestly can't believe you just posted that. I really, really can't.

Bandaged wrist eliminates all, if there is any, pain caused by balancing when playing with a sprained wrist. (again i am speaking from experience here)

getting a knock on a sprained wrist will make you wince, but it won't make you collapse in a heap unable to move or run.

Always believe everything the internet tells you.

sprained wrist/ankle can be apsoloutely agonising, what the hell are you talking about, tough guy?

firstly, we're not talking about sprained ankles in this example.

Secondly, yes, it hurts, but it in no way will stop you from playing football if you want to, you just have to bandage it up.

You don't sit on your arse for a month and avoid all sports because you've sprained your wrist, do you?

If you still want to debate how a strained wrist can stop you from running/kicking, please explain to me then how a stubbed toe can keep you out for two weeks!

firstly, we're not talking about sprained ankles in this example.

Secondly, yes, it hurts, but it in no way will stop you from playing football if you want to, you just have to bandage it up.

You don't sit on your arse for a month and avoid all sports because you've sprained your wrist, do you?

If you still want to debate how a strained wrist can stop you from running/kicking, please explain to me then how a stubbed toe can keep you out for two weeks!

I suppose you know all about stubbed toes?

have you ever had a stubbed toe???

a sprained wrist keeps you out because of what can happen to you while playing the game.. if you fall over with a sprained wrist, and you use that hand to stop your fall... mate thats pain i wouldn't wish on anyone, and could make the injury far, far worse.

my experience 6 months into the game (yes with the 'patch') is that injuries are still both too frequent and too severe in a lot of cases. I too am also very careful with my training, bit have gotten way too tired of players getting 'twisted ankles' and being out for two months. I had a run of 5 of these in 3 games. ridiculous. Then to top it off, after nursing Eduardo back to full fitness (and yes, slowly and carefully) after his broken leg, in his first start he does a hamstring and is out for 5 months. As an Arsenal fan, I sure hope nothing so ridiculous happens IRL! So now I'm using an editor to heal injuries after a reasonable amount of time. Until SI bother fixing this (FM 2012, 2nd patch maybe), then I strongly suggest others do likewise so they can keep enjoying this mostly excellent game.

I really think there are almost too few injuries.

Look carefully at the injury news sections of team websites a day or two after a match, and there will almost always been atleast 1 or 2 who are 'doubts' or 'concerns' for upcoming fixtures. I remember watching an Arsenal match not too long ago where everyone appeared fine during the match, no one hobbled or was carried off; and yet when I checked the website before the following weekend, there were 4 or 5 players injured either in training, or carrying knocks from the previous game. Even though they may have still played the next game, nonetheless the injuries were there.

I know this is an isolated example, but anyone wishing to do similar research I'm sure will find similar results.

Obviously though these injuries aren't severe, but they're still playing with them. Maybe in FM the effects and likeliness of antagonising an injury while playing an injured player needs to be tweaked?

Also, I can understand if people are annoyed by seemingly long spells out with 'minor' injuries, and if the length and severity of their injuries appears too great, but.. keep an eye on how long they're really out for. I've noticed alot in 09 that '2 weeks' can often be 3 or 4 days, and that '5-6 months' can be 2-3 months. I've not seen the opposite though, which is perhaps something to look at. Again, looking at Arsenal, and Rosicky - originally out for '2-3 weeks', if I remember rightly; and yet he hasn't played since Jan/Feb, and is out until atleast March '09.

Since the patch, I am yet to see any team, in any division and at any point of the season suffer a positional crisis as occurs fairly regularly in real-life (Everton strikers crisis now - Cahill upfront; Arsenal defensive crisis 2 years ago - back four of Flamini, Gallas, Gilberto, Gilbert; etc). Even the number of long-term squad injuries never seems to be as high as it can be sometimes in real life. Just look at what Man Utd have had with Neville, Foster, Solskjaer, Saha etc. All seem to have been out at times to the extent that you just forget about them. On 09 so far I've seen far fewer long-term injuries than I'd expect. In my own team 4 seasons in, the longest I've had anyone out for is 3 months. I'm almost disappointed, particularly for my squad players and youngsters.

Anyway, feel free to pick holes in my argument because you're annoyed that your squad isn't deep enough, and that my argument is focussed too specifically on one team and isolated examples; but first, please look at the facts and do your research. Also, if you have a bigger squad, you're going to get more injuries, right? I'd say between 2/5th and 1/5th of your first-team squad injured seems about right.

Yes, of course i've had a stubbed toe. You put a plaster around it and then you can play.

Gavin you're not a mod ffs stop acting like one.

You will notice on that site, that they are very vague - "calf injury, knee injury, back injury" etc, so how are you supposed to compare that with the more specific injuries in FM?

Wakers, people having the manners and etiquette to post in a constructive and reasoned manner does not mean that they are trying to be a moderator. Are you suggesting that everyone who isn't a moderator has to be as irrational, confrontational and narrow-minded as some of the posters on here?

And have you had a really bad stubbed toe? Believe me, putting a plaster on it would make it immeasurably more painful.

Wakers, people having the manners and etiquette to post in a constructive and reasoned manner does not mean that they are trying to be a moderator. Are you suggesting that everyone who isn't a moderator has to be as irrational, confrontational and narrow-minded as some of the posters on here?

And have you had a really bad stubbed toe? Believe me, putting a plaster on it would make it immeasurably more painful.

Yes ffs, it happens quite often playing indoor football. If its my left big toe, I would miss a game. That's 3 days out. No more.

And no, people don't have to be rude, but his posts are not constructive, he's been giving out bad advice and here again, his post doesn't actually help anyone.

I'm going to take a break from now. I'm getting a bit peed off because I tried to help SI, particularly with the freezing issue, but i've been constantly fobbed off with excuses, lied to about the issue being fixed, and then offered the same workarounds that didn't work in the demo.

Yes ffs, it happens quite often playing indoor football. If its my left big toe, I would miss a game. That's 3 days out. No more.

And no, people don't have to be rude, but his posts are not constructive, he's been giving out bad advice and here again, his post doesn't actually help anyone.

Help just as much as yours do. Can't have an argument without a counter-argument. 3/4 days out, yes. But if you have to spend that time shuffling around in a pair of fluffy slippers, are you really going to risk playing a competitive game of football the moment the pain subsides? Even if a player wanted to, I doubt the club would let him.

This has just reminded me of an injury I had over the summer. Didn't leave a minor strain on the side of my foot long enough before walking a long-ish distance, then spent the majority of a family holiday hobbling. :o

i think youre (A)playing different game to everyone else (B) WUM or © blinkers on

Justify that? Have you read any of what I've said, and/or have any proof to counter it? Seriously, if all you can do is slag people off and make arguments with no case to back it up, you'll lose, whatever the context.

But, to humour myself mostly, I'll try and counter your non-argument:

A) A vast minority of people are complaining. I'm sure that the majority are happy or satisfied, and that others agree even to a small extent, with the point I'm making. They're hardly going to troll the forum with 'this game is great' threads, particularly with the sour atmosphere certain individuals bring with topics like this.

B) WUM? What's that even mean? Please use proper English.

C) Oh, the blinkers argument. Ironyyyyy. :rolleyes: You're saying I'M blinkered because I'm putting up a counter argument, while there you are posting disrespectfully and without any case, just to slag off people because they share a different belief to you. THAT is being blinkered, narrow-minded, ignorant, arrogant.. need I go on? :cool:

people play with broken wrists and arms....much worse than a sprained wrist

You can't play with a broken arm. Broken wrist, perhaps, although not for a week or two after the injury occurs. You really wouldn't want to be playing anyway, unless you're pretty brave (or stupid). I mean, what if you fall over on it?

A) A vast minority of people are complaining. I'm sure that the majority are happy or satisfied, and that others agree even to a small extent, with the point I'm making. They're hardly going to troll the forum with 'this game is great' threads, particularly with the sour atmosphere certain individuals bring with topics like this.

B) WUM? What's that even mean? Please use proper English.

C) Oh, the blinkers argument. Ironyyyyy. :rolleyes: You're saying I'M blinkered because I'm putting up a counter argument, while there you are posting disrespectfully and without any case, just to slag off people because they share a different belief to you. THAT is being blinkered, narrow-minded, ignorant, arrogant.. need I go on? :cool:

(A) i think you'll find it is the majority are complaining

(b)WIND UP MERCHANT

© you are trying to defend the undefendable which is blinkered. Its infuriating to see people defending injuries which might lead them to not being fixed in the patch.

(A) i think you'll find it is the majority are complaining

(b)WIND UP MERCHANT

© you are trying to defend the undefendable which is blinkered. Its infuriating to see people defending injuries which might lead them to not being fixed in the patch.

Do you know what a majority is? A few 100 complaining out of all the 10,000s of sales of FM so far..

Are you are 'WUM'? You seem to be so hypocritical here it's laughable. I'm merely stating a different opinion to you, and unlike you, have a means to back it up, but you're saying, evidently falsely that it's 'undefendable'. You haven't thus far shown any way of countering my 'defence', but that doesn't mean my argument is 'undefendable' either.

I for one hope that SI don't listen to minority of unjustified complainers. FM08 ended up with next-to-no injuries because the moment certain unintelligent and irrational individuals had their star player get injured, they reported it as a bug in a fit of rage that they already had another injury. At the moment injuries are pretty accurate, although with very minor room for improvement in either direction, or other means to limit their effect. As I've already stated.

:rolleyes:

I really don't see what you guys are doing wrong. I've been playing ALOT of FM09 patched and see very few injuries. The lenght of some injuries is too long and there does sometimes appear to be too few short term injuries but the amount of injuries is fine from my experience.

post 9.1, in the 3 and a half seasons (across 3 games) i didn't really notice much injuries or at least, nothing alarmingly in 'too much' or 'too little', no complaints really. however, i fundamentally disagree with the argument offered by anagain earlier that you have to CHANGE from the default training just to avoid injuries, that seems fairly preposterous when training as it is in FM now is so poorly designed and terribly boring to play with.

On numerous occasions on my game ive finshed with 9/10 players because ive had 2 or 3 players injured after ive made subs i mean does this happen irl?? not very often but it happens too regular in FM09.

I think that IRL you'll find that quite often 2 or 3 players will be injuried during a match, HOWEVER, they are not usually so injured that they need to come off. I agree with Neji, the frequency of injuries is fine, it's the severity which is problematic.

On numerous occasions on my game ive finshed with 9/10 players because ive had 2 or 3 players injured after ive made subs i mean does this happen irl?? not very often but it happens too regular in FM09.

That's fate really. Control your subsitutions if you think that you'll get injuries. I've only once had this happen so far in '09, though. Use condition and assistant recommendation when it comes to slight injuries, opposed to instantly subbing them, perhaps.

What was their condition like?

I think that IRL you'll find that quite often 2 or 3 players will be injuried during a match, HOWEVER, they are not usually so injured that they need to come off. I agree with Neji, the frequency of injuries is fine, it's the severity which is problematic.

I also agree with Neji on the other aspect, ie. too few short term injuries. As I've said, it seems the chance that players playing with injuries will see a recurrance, or play noticably worse maybe needs to be tweaked to encourage users to play players with knocks or minor injuries more. :thup:

(Ugh, ironic typo there.. many, few.. bleh :p)

I started a new game with my beloved Man Utd team, and got to Christmas 1 point ahead of the Undefeatable and All Conquering Super Steroid taking Arsenal and played them next! On my way thruogh the season up to the Arsenal game i defeated Bayern Munich1-0 away, Liverpool 1-0 away, Chelsea 2-1 at home, Tottenham 4-3 (mother of all comebacks) Asaton Villa 4-0 (they're 3rd in my league) and Man City 3-0 at home. Arsenal next up, feeling pretty confident.... THEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!

Berbatov borken leg during game ...... 5months out

Rooney torn hamstring during same game......4months out

Tevez SAME GAME, broken ankle.....5months out

I suffered a humiliating 5-1 defeat :(

After finally deciding to still carry on with the game ( i got well ripped off), i went and bought Kerrison for £7m. After winning something with the Brazil U23 team in some daft competition, he returned with an injury.....ARTHRITIS..... and was out for 4months!!!! :mad:

I decided to keep playing, knowing that my season was screwed up and bought one last player... Mata for £2.5m (all my budget spent now) and looked forward to him arriving. Only to be presented with a letter from my top physio that he'd broken down in training and would be out for 3 months.

In all i have 11 injuries in my 1st team, and have NO fit forwards. TWO of the injuries have occurred during training, the rest during matches. Is there an injury bug?

Archived