Shoots with power or places shots?

• 1 month later...

Something I've always wondered..... if you have a striker with really high Decisions, would you be better off leaving him with neither PPM so he can make his own mind up depending on the situation? Or will he do that anyway if his decisions are high enough?

Cheers.

With either option, I prefer to see what they're like first, then make a decision based on their suitable attributes, my preferred tactics.

If they're doing fine without the PPM, then I'm not worried about them learning it. I'll only go with it if I genuinely think it will improve their game and performances.

With either option, I prefer to see what they're like first, then make a decision based on their suitable attributes, my preferred tactics.

If they're doing fine without the PPM, then I'm not worried about them learning it. I'll only go with it if I genuinely think it will improve their game and performances.

Exactly, I've always heard that Strength makes a lot of difference in this thing too... Lets say: Finising: 15-20 ... Composure: 5-10 ... Strength: 10-20 ... I usually try the Shoots with Power thing ...

Shoot with power: Good long shot striker OR Strenghtful striker OR High Penalty Taking

(I've noticed that if any player has high strenght, the backroom advice will tend to advised me to train them to shoot with power)

Places Shot: High Finish and Composure

Also!

It seems like player who has "Places shot" PPM will not be a good penalty taker.

When I put Berbatov in the penalty takers list, the backroom advice (again) advised me to remove him and replace him with Anderson who had high strength and "Shoot with power".

I think, as heathxxx said, rule one is to ask yourself how they are currently performing. If they're already doing well for you, then leave them as they are.

Agree with the point about Finishing and Composure being important for "places shots" - I wonder if Passing ability might be important as well?

With regard to "shoots with power", my thinking is that this should only be used for a player with good Technique. If you do this for a player with poor technique, wouldn't it result in his shots ending up in row Z?

I dont use them alot (as in I tend not to train them myself) but if I have a player with them I tend to use it like this. Places shots I think favours someone shooting on the inside, so a rightfooted striker playing on the left (placing the ball into the far corner), wheras shoots with power I think favours a striker attacking from the right, he can blast the ball past the keeper from an angle.

Agree with the point about Finishing and Composure being important for "places shots" - I wonder if Passing ability might be important as well?

With regard to "shoots with power", my thinking is that this should only be used for a player with good Technique. If you do this for a player with poor technique, wouldn't it result in his shots ending up in row Z?

I would love to know the attributes required for these PPMs. So far it seems like:

Places Shots: Finishing, Composure, (technique?)

Shoots with Power- Strength, technique(?)

I tutored one of my promising young strikers to improve his personality, but he also picked up shoots with power and rounds keeper, both of which are detrimental to his play. He invariably blazes shots over the bar and tries to round the keeper and gets caught when he should side foot it in. I'll check his stats tonight!

If a player were to have both ppm's would it then depend on that players' decision attribute which one he would use depend on a situation?

I dont think you can have both. if he learns one the other is no longer available.

Strength is ability to exert a force upon an opponent. It is not related to shot power.

I noticed that in the backroom advice window(or what ever it is called)my staff always recommended teaching shoots with power to any player with 19-20 strenght even if it's a defender so maybe strenght has an effect on shoot power.

Strength > 13 and Long Shots > Finishing and Long Shots > 13, trying long shots and shhoting with power makes the player good finisher.

Finishing > Long Shots and Finishing > 13 and Composure > 13, not trying long shots and placing shots makes the player good finisher.

"Places shots". I really hate "Shoots with power" and never sign players with it...

I quite like my pacy, powerful strikers who have less than amazing technical ability to have it - ball over the top, thunderbolt on target, happy days ;)

Which one do you think is more effective for a striker? I got all my strikers on places shots except Jo who shoots with power and i think that shoots with power is more effective. Thoughts?

Places shots was pretty useless before 10.3 because of the super keeper thing, but since 10.3 I think it is a whole lot more effective.

If a player were to have both ppm's would it then depend on that players' decision attribute which one he would use depend on a situation?

Yes, though his decisions ability relates to all striking choices, no matter what his PPM's are.

My gut instinct for what its worth is that if the player has good decisions, I wouldn't bother training him in these PPM's and I would just leave well alone.

• 6 months later...

I realize this is somewhat of a thread necromancy, but since this topic keeps coming up I wanted to share an observation:

In my experience players with "Places Shots" tend to try to get somewhat close to goal and score mostly from well within the penalty area, the commentator often goes on about "passing the ball into the net" and that's the way it looks in the match engine as well.

Those with "Shoots with Power" will happily blast the ball from any position even remotely close to the opposition's box.

That's probably the reason why many people seem to prefer "Places Shots" on strikers and "Shoots with Power" on midfielders. This should also help with picking the suiting striker for your team. If you play a high tempo short passing game, someone with "Places Shots" should work very well, if you use a defensive forward or a big strong target man up front you might want to look for a player with "Shoots with Power".

I can say that "places shots" did NOT work well for the AMC I gave it to, even though he had excellent Long Shots. Instead of placing shots out of reach of the keeper (as I hoped he would), he basically passed the ball to him instead.

That would go well with what I found. For "Places Shots" to really work you have to get your player into positions within the box where he'll just have to apply a gentle touch to steer the ball into the empty net. For testing purposes I tried the PPM with Toni Kroos ( 19 Composure, 17/18 Long Shots, Finishing, Technique ) and that was a complete failure. After removing it he was taking long shots from outside the box much more often and while his success rate is still somewhat disappointing for his stats it improved.

Maybe I'll test Kroos with "Shoots with Power" as well.

Edit: It's probably not much of a surprise that "Gets into opposition Area" seems to complement "Places Shots" very well.

Archived